Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE]Trinergy Episode 1 "Orbs" - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE]Trinergy Episode 1 "Orbs"

User is offline   OakTree11 

This is my first map released to the public. I started this in summer of 2006. Took a long break (work). Continued work in 2007. Took another long break (work and family). Resumed work back in March, and now I'm done.

This map is the beginning of the Trinergy episode I am starting. I've mainly made this for me, but I'm releasing it to see what others think of it. It's based off of 'Lamba Core' and 'Xen' from Half-Life.

This comes with a custom USER.CON file which has palboss defined for boss 2, 3, & 4.

*EDIT*
Fixed the CON issue pointed out by Mark.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by OakTree11: 30 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

User is offline   Mark 

There is a USER.CON error. BOSSPAL4STRENGTH was not defined. I added in my own line to run the map. It could use more details and shading and it was time consuming trying to open a whole lot of doors that are locked. I went a long way into the map before finding the first enemies. I got maybe half way throgh the map and I had to quit because a TV show is about to start. I'll play it again later when I have more time.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Explored map in the editor. I like your style of minimalism, but you need to add shadows on the walls.

P.S.
Can't say anything about gameplay, because I prefere to dedicate free time to Duke Begins more.

User is offline   Jblade 

Just played it - there was some neat ideas and I liked the background of the map. However as the two above me said, it's lacking in shading. There is some shadow casting going on, but one of the most important hints you can have is to shade each connecting wall differently because this helps them stand out as 3D. I also didn't hear many ambient sounds, they're also integral to level's atmosphere.

I liked the part near the end where you essentially have a choice of where to use the blue keycards - if you're open to working on this map more, I'd also suggest adding a few more monsters on the way back to the car (which would also serve as a natural guide for the player) Hopefully you'll take this onboard with your next map - welcome to the community in anycase!

User is offline   OakTree11 

Just played it - there was some neat ideas and I liked the background of the map. However as the two above me said, it's lacking in shading. There is some shadow casting going on, but one of the most important hints you can have is to shade each connecting wall differently because this helps them stand out as 3D. I also didn't hear many ambient sounds, they're also integral to level's atmosphere.

but you need to add shadows on the walls.

Ok, I'll try to do a better job with shading on my next one. And maybe add some more background noises too.

I'd also suggest adding a few more monsters on the way back to the car (which would also serve as a natural guide for the player) Hopefully you'll take this onboard with your next map

I did originally have the aliens to a 'last ditch effort' and try to get you just after the elevator ride up. But it felt overwhelming to try and get through it so I toned it down with a few Assault Commanders.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Not bad for a first release. Welcome, new mapper. Asking for beta testers prior to release would have been a good idea, however. I failed to grab the red key card for example, and later on I had no second chance to explore that area again without cheating. :P
I made a few more notes but they're unreachable on my dad's laptop. :P (I'll edit this post if I should remember them.)
The split theme didn't work out well as far as I'm concerned.
The alien part needs more atmosphere IMO. Maybe the available ART just isn't sufficient for your needs, or you could try to use some Polymer lighting to improve on that.

EDIT: Trying to enter this breakthrough can crush the player:
Attached Image: duke0000.jpg

This post has been edited by LeoD: 14 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options