Duke4.net Forums: Bombshell - Duke4.net Forums

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bombshell

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 August 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Also: let the player pick the hair color! Palette swaps. Still need an official color for media purposes, though.

Would you expect a hair colour option in a Dukem Nukem game?
They're obviously going for a pre-defined character rather than a "design you own hero" RPG style approach.

View PostSledgehammer, on 17 August 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

I would disagree if we speak about the past, especially about 80s and 90s.

Ellen Ripley, Aeon Flux, Lara Croft, Nikita, Trinity, Xena, Xenia Onatopp, Jordan O'Neill (G.I. Jane), May Day, Motoko Kasunagi...

User is online   necroslut 

View PostX-Vector, on 18 August 2017 - 01:20 AM, said:

Would you expect a hair colour option in a Dukem Nukem game?
They're obviously going for a pre-defined character rather than a "design you own hero" RPG style approach.

I don't know if the game will have multiplayer, considering the state of EDuke32's mp, but if they do they'd need some part to change the color of. I'm not sure what her armor looks like in this game, I think they've only shown her hands and face, but I doubt it'd be bright blue.

User is offline   NNC 

Hair color is absolutely irrelevant if the character design is intuitive and charming enough.

View PostNancsi, on 24 August 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Hair color is absolutely irrelevant if the character design is intuitive and charming enough.

The thing, especially with lower resolution graphics, but also in games in general because of reasons I won't go into much*, is that you have very limited space in which where to work. If you have say 40x80 pixels you don't really have the option to go into fine detail. This also applies to top-down zoomed-out games like Bombshell in high degree. You then need to design characters like they were action figures, focusing on large, stand-out details, such as hair.

*Generally, in games, as compared to movies, you will see characters mostly at a distance, which leaves you with a similar situation.

User is offline   NNC 

I'm not saying hair is not important, just that it's color is meaningless if the whole thing has a charm. I also don't think blonde is better than brunette in this aspect. Doomguy was brunet, and Duke was blond. Both were famous.

View PostNancsi, on 24 August 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

I'm not saying hair is not important, just that it's color is meaningless if the whole thing has a charm. I also don't think blonde is better than brunette in this aspect. Doomguy was brunet, and Duke was blond. Both were famous.

I don't mean to imply that hair color is the most important thing. But it's also about the context and environment in which it's placed. Today we have a situation where a female game protagonist seemingly has to look a certain way, and this complicates things.

Edit: I don't mean in any way to imply that she has to be a blonde for the game to be good. I'm completely confident in Voidpoints capabilities and I'll get the game the second it's possible to do so.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 24 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View Postnecroslut, on 24 August 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

The thing, especially with lower resolution graphics, but also in games in general because of reasons I won't go into much*, is that you have very limited space in which where to work.

You shouldn't count out promotional material such as artworks. They better make ones if she's hot of course.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 24 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

Since not many people seemed too interested in my last comparison, how about this one:
Posted Image

Compare her to this:

Posted Image

A 23 year old whose acting experience as an adult mostly consists of roles in a soap and a sitcom and who doesn't seem like action heroine material in the slightest - you're on a roll here.

Blonde or not, she certainly has to be tough. That girl, to me, doesn't look tough in the least.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 29 August 2017 - 04:16 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Looks can be decieving. Who would have thought this girl would make such a great Wonder Woman. She doesn't look tough either.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  ww.jpg (15.26K)
    Number of downloads: 3

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's attributable to her ACTING not her looks. The question is whether this girl can ACT as tough as Bombshell would deserve. People can do wonders with makeup and make people look like whatever they need. They made Sandra Bullock look ugly in Miss Congeniality. I've never thought she was particularly exceptionally attractive, but they did do a good job of making her look less so certainly. This girl's features ARE quite fair (whereas I think Gal Gadot's naturally has a bit of a stronger jaw look), but things could be done. So we can't make any judgment until we see an audition, which just isn't going to happen.

There are still people who think that Wonder Woman should have looked more bulky and Amazonian in the movie, though, even though they were happy with the film overall.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 August 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

That's attributable to her ACTING not her looks. The question is whether this girl can ACT as tough as Bombshell would deserve....So we can't make any judgment until we see an audition, which just isn't going to happen.

Which makes my point about why that Blonde in the previous pic should not be instantly dismissed at first glance.

View PostMark., on 29 August 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Which makes my point about why that Blonde in the previous pic should not be instantly dismissed at first glance.

But we're not looking for an actor - we're looking for a video game character design. She does not in any way, in that picture, convey she's tough or a hero. It's in posture, expression, clothing etc.
If you were to just see that picture, would it make you think "action hero"? I doubt it.

User is offline   Mark 

deleted, its not worth continuing the discussion

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Attached File  1233126636_10.jpg (37.93K)
Number of downloads: 7

*ahem*

User is offline   Hank 

bald ? That way, color ain't don't matter :)

Posted Image

Ain't it more important for a Bombshell AKA sex symbol to look more like a whore than a feminist butch ideal?

I'm digging this discussion, I like the view points on all sides. Interesting stuff, personally I like the "Bad girl" comic book art of the 90s type of thing, so a tough character can also look attractive. On hair color, I don't happen to have a preference but since she was originally blonde in concept art having both colors would be interesting. Sall good in my book.

User is offline   leilei 

Blonde Bombshell was more in-line of then-new Barb Wire and Danger Girl (though more explicitly Barb Wire because movie) - and those were pretty much 20 years ago and weren't anywhere near the ubiquity of what X-Vector listed. It'd be silly to have that now, even if it's for silly "old school retro homage" reasons.

This post has been edited by leilei: 29 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I posted that Sarah Connor picture for more than just an example of a strong looking female protagonist.

You'll note she's not showing off her body in some way, but you'll further note her eyes. The main and most important concern with Bombshell is that the character actually has something going on there. If she's no longer going to ape the femme-Duke/Barbwire concept, then she needs something going on in there, and that something should be strongly reflected in the design. I think the problem with Bombshell as-released was she was basically over done. The design could really have done with some color, or just more striking design. As it is it looks very bland and doesn't evoke a striking image. Having blonde hair would have been a nice homage to the original concept, and would have given the a splash of contrast to all the darkness in her outfit.

User is offline   Hank 

The developer has the task to convince the player that the character has a well developed killer instinct. Not that simple methinks. The player has to get into the character, while playing the character. This trick will take a lot of thinking, imagination and what I call the magic touch.

Here is a cutie girl, with 59 certified kills.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 29 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Crap, I meant to upvote that.

View PostTerminX, on 29 August 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

Crap, I meant to upvote that.

Well, at least I can help. :) I upvoted in your place... I probably would have anyway, but I can make sacrifices.

Nothing against Nancy Allen personally, but she looks like a "soccer mom" in riot gear rather than a female Duke Nukem.

Posted Image

View Postleilei, on 29 August 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

Blonde Bombshell was more in-line of then-new Barb Wire and Danger Girl (though more explicitly Barb Wire because movie) - and those were pretty much 20 years ago and weren't anywhere near the ubiquity of what X-Vector listed. It'd be silly to have that now, even if it's for silly "old school retro homage" reasons.

Captain Marvel starring Brie Larsen is bringing blonde back I guess, but since it's a naturally occuring hair color I don't think it could be inherently silly. But I actually prefer brunettes anyway, I don't really have any opinion on what hair color this character has, especially since it's a first person build game. Just found the conversation interesting.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 30 August 2017 - 12:59 AM, said:

Captain Marvel starring Brie Larsen is bringing blonde back I guess, but since it's a naturally occuring hair color I don't think it could be inherently silly. But I actually prefer brunettes anyway, I don't really have any opinion on what hair color this character has, especially since it's a first person build game. Just found the conversation interesting.

In screenshots they have the character's face in the HUD though, like Doom, so you'll be seeing her more than in the typical Build shooter. And I still don't think they've said if there will be multiplayer, but if so, it matters there too.

That's true, and there's the promotional stuff and possibly Duke 3D style in-game cinematic scenes (I haven't heard what those are like for Ion Maiden).

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

We didn't do any yet because our budget sucks. :)

The character does indeed appear in the HUD, though, like Doom or Quake. Newer builds that we haven't shown media of even have her animated.

Share this topic:

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options