Duke4.net Forums: Bombshell - Duke4.net Forums

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bombshell

View PostCommando Nukem, on 16 May 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

In fact I used to get some confused looks from my mother when I played any RPG's as a woman, and I had to explain to her that i'd rather look at a female avatar than a male one. She was concerned I was having some kind of sexual identity crisis....

/raises hand

I will never forget the Christmas during college where my mom said that she was wondering if I was gay. It was entertaining to try to explain to her that all the things she was concerned about were signs of my heterosexuality being redirected in a time/world that is almost alien to the one she grew up in. :)

When someone is a jerk to me online or calls me a pejorative... I don't get to credit my gender/race for bringing out their jerkness. I can only acknowledge "that person is a jerk" and move on and not make it all about me.

I do consider that a privilege... it's rather liberating to just see them as jerks rather than warriors for some perceived opposing personal enemy.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 16 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

Sure the trailer wasn't great, but I don't think it deserves all the hate.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Wow, I didn't expect a lot of haters... it definitely something going wrong... :\

It's internet, and it's normal.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i am ethically and morally outraged at this sexist discrimination.

i want busty female enemies that i can cunt-punt then shoot in the neck

User is offline   Stabs 

why the fuck did you waste time on the travesty of a CGI with quality just above post-1998, when you know could of been making something to display, you know, the actual game? even with footage and screenshots it doesn't sound all that thrilling anyway

nogameneeded indeed

This post has been edited by Stabs: 16 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   Hool 

I'm not that bothered about the design because once the game is released there will bound to be someone who swaps the models and sounds of Bombshell with Duke Nukem.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostWheatleyNukem, on 16 May 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

I'm not that bothered about the design because once the game is released there will bound to be someone who swaps the models and sounds of Bombshell with Duke Nukem.

nope not legal, you'd need to re-create the roof of e1l1 in UE4 to get the license permission's to use the character first

User is offline   Hool 

View PostStabs, on 16 May 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

nope not legal, you'd need to re-create the roof of e1l1 in UE4 to get the license permission's to use the character first

Posted Image
I think we might be onto something.

However, I got this covered. All we got to do is just give him a black shirt and cargopants then we'll call him Cam Nash. Job done folks.

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 16 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

or just no game at all, seriously it was a screenshot of roof that kickstarted interceptor, which was enough to give them the Duke IP and fucking ROTT IP which they ruined with their inexperience, it really boggles the mind how someone with so little credibility can be handed the keys to the castle, 3 x over now. FFS at least come up with your own IP, now instead of ruining established IP's they get to ruin pipe dream IP's. Can you think of something original to ruin?

<insert facepalm image>

User is offline   Hool 

View PostStabs, on 16 May 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

or just no game at all, seriously it was a screenshot of roof that kickstarted interceptor, which was enough to give them the Duke IP and fucking ROTT IP which they ruined with their inexperience, it really boggles the mind how someone with so little credibility can be handed the keys to the castle, 3 x over now. FFS at least come up with your own IP, now instead of ruining established IP's they get to ruin pipe dream IP's. Can you think of something original to ruin?

<insert facepalm image>

Story time. When I made the Duke Nukem Community Game thread over at Gearbox Forums, Fresch was hesitant to post those Proof of Concept screenshots up so if I didn't make that thread I'm sure he wouldn't be here right now with both ROTT IP and the Bombshell IP. On the other hand, he wouldn't have given us the Duke/Shadow Warrior betas.

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 16 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

yay? half finished maps and assets that were dropped for a reason and made over 18 years ago by different people, because fuck me a quality game seems out of the question.

Hahaha people are tearing the shit out of this on Youtube and other sites. Interceptor, I love you, but you really need to learn how to make a good first impression with games.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Duke Nukem is similar to about 90% of the male characters in FPS games = awesome, unique badass character.

Bombshell is similar to one (that one chick from DXHR) character in an FPS game = terrible unimaginative ripoff.

User is offline   Stabs 

but its not their original char, its using a character that was related to the nukem universe in a cheap ploy to push the game more.

Also 3d cocksucking realms has some nerve being all anal about their characters rights too considering he is all based on ash/arnold , oh skywalker, indie, terminator, and all your pop culture references are fine for you to use, but don't you dare put our original (FUCKING LOL) character duke nukem in another game, seriously go eat a bag of dicks with your argument, personally people should do what they want with the IP lic or not fuck all those clowns, you treat your fans like dirt and now we should return the favor.

seriously i'd like to see them try stop a remake in ue3 that's distributed by torrent and takes bitcoin donations, worked on by many people, what are they gunna get a cop over your shoulder making sure you don't make textures/models/maps related too it?

This post has been edited by Stabs: 16 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 16 May 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

I must admit the youtube situation regarding Bombshell's reveal trailer is actually quite disheartening. I have complaints, as have been mentioned, but the negative reaction is pretty steep right now.

300+ likes 900+ dislikes. Ouch. I wonder what the folks at Interceptor think of this?

lol We both know why it's getting backlash, it's because Interceptor used Duke to hype it up, nobody can say we both didn't warn them that it wouldn't end well for them if they continued to use Duke as a way to get attention.

As for Bombshells being sexed up, I hope she gets even more sexed up just for the sake of pissing of feminists and softies even more, the negative reception is already there, why not gain attention by pissing off even more of the softies? That's something I've wanted a game to do for a while.
Also I did say that if they mimic that scene in DNF where Duke punches the Christian Bale spoof and instead have Bombshell punch and/or kill an Anita Sarkissian spoof, I'll be sold on the game :)
Come on Interceptor, make it different, make it piss softies off, don't just play it safe.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Looks like Interceptor dropped a bombshell on the Duke Nukem gaming community, judging by the length and posts of this thread.

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostStabs, on 16 May 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

but its not their original char, its using a character that was related to the nukem universe in a cheap ploy to push the game more.

Also 3d cocksucking realms has some nerve being all anal about their characters rights too considering he is all based on ash/arnold , oh skywalker, indie, terminator, and all your pop culture references are fine for you to use, but don't you dare put our original (FUCKING LOL) character duke nukem in another game, seriously go eat a bag of dicks with your argument, personally people should do what they want with the IP lic or not fuck all those clowns, you treat your fans like dirt and now we should return the favor.

seriously i'd like to see them try stop a remake in ue3 that's distributed by torrent and takes bitcoin donations, worked on by many people, what are they gunna get a cop over your shoulder making sure you don't make textures/models/maps related too it?

I think you´re being overly harsh and critical with them. Give them a break. The best thing that could have happened to Duke is this, an indy company composed of fans which is slowly making its way to the IP (I believe they´ll get it at some point). They are amateurish and I don´t have lot of arguments to counter your critics, but they bought 3DR and from the letsgo they´re showing a completely different approach by releasing all the unreleased material they found. This game is of no interest to me, yet i wish all the best to this new company, with time they can improve and hire more and better artists and hopefully get Duke´s IP and release a game that is better than what gearfukingbox used to take our money.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostComrade Major, on 16 May 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Looks like Interceptor dropped a bombshell on the Duke Nukem gaming community, judging by the length and posts of this thread.

Posted Image

Seriously though, while the trailer wasn't exactly of DNF E3 '01 caliber, it is still a friggin' masterpiece compared to the Duke Nukem Trilogy trailer. I'm sure once Interceptor starts showing in-depth gameplay footage, the hate will go away(provided it's not crap).

User is offline   Ronin 

Stabs: "3d cocksucking realms" "go eat a bag of dicks" "fuck all those clowns"" "because fuck me a quality game seems out of the question" "nogameneeded indeed " :) Gentleman.

If you compare the Bombshell trailer to the DNF trailer where he's lifting weights there is more than a passing resemblance.

From reading comments on game sites you would think everybody and their dog hates Duke Nukem and want him to piss off and die, now everybody is pissed that Duke isn't in it, strange.

The trailer is getting a lot of bad heat, after watching it again I noticed the explosions at the end when she's heading out on the bike are really badly done and seem to be going off on a straight line and generally just look really shit.

The bike sounds are too low and piss weak too. In an interview I watched, Fresch was talking about the use of next gen power and graphics in this game, but there are none to be seen judging from the trailer and screenshots.

The screenshots look fine but not like some sort of graphical leap in anyway, if anything they look a bit dated, especially the trailer.

People that know of 3D Realms also seem puzzled why the godfathers of FPS games are making a comeback with a top down rpg.

Maybe the Bombshell character would have had a better reception (and 3D Realms comeback) with a fps, I like the idea of Bombshell having special moves, that could work in a fps.

They better get a good gameplay trailer out fast as damage control, and it better be impressive for their sake.

I hope they do well, we need them to release Zero Hour and TTK on pc, and they will need money to do that.

The law suit has left them in a shite situation, angering a lot of Duke fans, I'd imagine most of who haven't been following this mess like us here feel cheated,.

If Bombshell and Duke were meant to both be playable characters (I don't know if they were) they will be working with half a concept while trying to sell a risky mostly unknown IP to people.

The Duke Nukem character has a lot of gravity, he can make a good game great, realistically they are making a Duke game with no Duke Nukem.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 16 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think it's more important that they take their time and make sure that the next piece of media they release is extremely polished and interesting-looking rather than rushed and half assed.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMickey C, on 16 May 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

I think it's more important that they take their time and make sure that the next piece of media they release is extremely polished and interesting-looking rather than rushed and half assed.

More important than what? Loads of great games go under the radar because of poor marketing, the game can be great but if nobody cares it's not going do them any good.

I think bringing the game out on a PS4 is a poor decision, I reckon most people who buy a PS4 are PS3/Xbox 360 owners who want better graphics, this will not appeal to them.

They should have aimed for the existing PS3/Xbox 360 that has a massive user base as well as the PC market, PS4 owners will turn their noses up as this unless it has graphical stats that they can boast about on iGN.

I am rooting for Interceptor/3D Realms or whatever they call themselves now, I like how they are young hungry devs that believe in releasing mod tools and free dlc, as well as listening to people and they do seem to give a fuck, their hearts in the right place but they need more talent.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 16 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

• Honored Donor

I just think that despite a bad first impression, people would be willing to reserve judgement (or maybe change their minds if they're already made up), when exposed to some quality promotion, as opposed to Interceptor trying to put a band-aid on the situation as quickly as possible and stumbling in the process, isolating even more players.

I mean obviously they thought that this trailer was the coolest thing since the last ice age otherwise they wouldn't have released it. So they're going to need to step back, re-evaluate their strategy and proceed with caution.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMickey C, on 16 May 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

I just think that despite a bad first impression, people would be willing to reserve judgement (or maybe change their minds if they're already made up), when exposed to some quality promotion, as opposed to Interceptor trying to put a band-aid on the situation as quickly as possible and stumbling in the process, isolating even more players.

I mean obviously they thought that this trailer was the coolest thing since the last ice age otherwise they wouldn't have released it. So they're going to need to step back, re-evaluate their strategy and proceed with caution.

People will not reserve judgement, they are a pack of sheep, once the meme that this game is going to be shit reaches singularity it's only going to be harder to convince them otherwise, even if it's not as they won't want to feel like they were wrong.

Look at DNF, it's not the worst game ever made since ET but so many people think it is, reality is unimportant to most people.

I think they were already in panic mode, trying to save face after they got the Lawsuit. So they rushed out a new trailer that they had little time to do, and it shows.

But those explosions in the trailer after Fresch talking about a next gen experience, today, come on.

Also I have checked the Interceptor forum and it's dead, no mention of this new project (as far as I can see), what kind of operation are they running there?

You need to learn to walk before you can run, get your shit together guys, you're lucky to be in the position you are in right now, don't fuck it up.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 16 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Ronan's right. People love to hate and the trailer's already being parodied.

https://vine.co/v/MXH1guQPO61
https://vine.co/v/MXHedjz3FAH

http://www.pcgamer.c...-pc-gaming-7/2/

Ben Griffin: ‘What is this I don’t even’ probably best describes my reaction upon watching what little of Bombshell’s overlong, meaningless trailer I could stomach. It’s a game about a bomb defusal expert called Shelley ‘Bombshell’ Harrison, so already the metaphors are a being complexly layered. Does she like bath bombs, too? How about photobombs? No? Just the explodey kind. Like Mass Effect’s Jack wearing a version of Ripley’s Power Loader as reimagined by Victoria’s Secret, Shelley enjoys "kicking ass, motorcycles, and kicking ass on motorcycles." Kinda like how I enjoy playing games, sitting in my chair, and playing games while sitting in my chair.

If you’re smelling Eau de Nukem, your nose isn’t wrong. This was a 3D Realms joint (in collaboration with developers Interceptor Entertainment) called Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction until Gearbox acquired the Duke Nukem IP in 2010 and tried to sue the everloving stuffing from them. See how far into the trailer you can get, if you must. It’s a rubbish, dated top-down shooter with a rubbish, dated protagonist. Awesome name though. Bombshell. Strong.

I think Interceptor have to go dark for a while and work on making the best re-introduction possible. This stuff can have a long tail.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 16 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

User is offline   stumppy84 

If they changed it to an FPS they could really do some cool things with the bionic arm. Like others have stated before me. You could make the arm and melee combat more of a focus like the new SW with upgrades and special attacks. And since she's a "limber" gal you can kind of throw in some mirror edge type crap in.. I think they're missing the boat with not making it an FPS.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 16 May 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

Ronan's right. People love to hate and the trailer's already being parodied.

https://vine.co/v/MXH1guQPO61
https://vine.co/v/MXHedjz3FAH

http://www.pcgamer.c...-pc-gaming-7/2/

I think Interceptor have to go dark for a while and work on making the best re-introduction possible. This stuff can have a long tail.

People do love to hate, it brings them closer together and we are pack animals. Hating shit is like the social network for negativity, people can't get enough of it.

Most people don't know about them releasing all the old Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior content, they won't get the same good will they now have in this community from the average potential buyer.

People don't know what they are about, partly because they are shit at marketing what they are actually good at, and nobody know that yet because they have not make any good games yet.

RoTT was a disgrace. There was a really fun game there under all the initial problems and I am a forgiving guy if a buggy game is really good, but that was unplayable for me, I never went back to it because of the horrible initial experience, I might some day.

I do really feel sorry for them because of this whole lawsuit mess, but I will give it to them, they have balls and I hope they succeed, but it remains to be seen whether they have balls of steel and I think they are going to need them.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 16 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

What they did for the community has basically earned them permanent (and totally warranted) goodwill. I'm just worried about how they chose to introduce both their iteration of 3D Realms and a new character to the public. I want them to be successful! Nothing would make me happier than seeing 3D Realms back on top. Hopefully they were well aware that it was mistake and some nasty behind the scenes stuff forced their hand.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 16 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

• Honored Donor

View Poststumppy84, on 16 May 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

If they changed it to an FPS they could really do some cool things with the bionic arm. Like others have stated before me. You could make the arm and melee combat more of a focus like the new SW with upgrades and special attacks. And since she's a "limber" gal you can kind of throw in some mirror edge type crap in.. I think they're missing the boat with not making it an FPS.

Do you think Interceptor, as they currently stand, have the experience needed to throw in complex stuff like Mirror Edge moves in there? ROTT 2013 by FPS standards today is an incredibly simple game, and even then they couldn't get it perfect.

Edit @ Mr Tibbs: I think countdown timers for announcements in general are a mistake.
If either the slightest thing goes wrong then
a ) You need to reveal something anyway and it'll just look shit.
b ) You call off the countdown and piss a lot of people off.

Is it really so hard to just announce something? Hype tactics like countdown timers are a little cheap IMO. The quality of the product itself should ideally be all the hype you need.

This post has been edited by Mickey C: 16 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That's not a small feat. It's not just a matter of changing perspective, you'd have to redesign the entire game. The levels are built for a top-down RPG, the character animations are built for a top-down RPG, the weapon mechanics are built for a top-down RPG. It's all tied together, and trying to change that now, this far into development, would be a disaster.

Honestly, although it sounded odd back when they first announced the "top-down action RPG" gameplay style, I think it will work just fine. If it's what I think it is. A "shoot-and-smash" (Eh? Eh?!) it'll be fine. It's also not what one would expect coming out of a developer like this, which is why in that sense I like it. If it were to become the trend, of doing unexpected, maybe we could end up seeing more mid-tier game developers making high-concept and more ambitious titles that are neither a triple A experience or a miniature budget one.

They do need to do some damage control though. The public perception will become fairly rigid against them in short order if they don't.

User is offline   Ronin 

Have a look at this game, you play as Max Maverick of course.
, It's called Isolated Warrior and it's on the NES. I don't know if this game is well known but it's the best isometric shooter I ever played and one of the best games ever made in general (as well as the hardest).

I would love to see a Duke game in this model, the scrolling screen really tests your reflexes and I think the Duke universe would complement it. The Diablo style perspective make Bombshell look a little stale, but it is hard to tell from screenshots alone.

Isolated Warrior featured probably the first tactical 2 weapon and grenade system I know of in a game(That Halo is famous for making popular), when you die you lose what ever painstakingly powered up weapon you had equipped at the time, forcing you manage upgrading your weapons and grenades tactically and on the fly.

You could max out one weapon but if you die you're back to square 1 unless you powered up your other gun enough to give you a fighting chance.

And look at the vagina faced boss at the end, I remember that one being a bit of a cunt.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 16 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options