Duke4.net Forums: HRP-based Voxel Pack - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HRP-based Voxel Pack

User is offline   Kyanos 

I put this together a while ago. It's in beta form, a few issues hold it back. I had nearly forgotten it till today, I don't want to let it fall away. So, here is a fully playable, Voxel Model Pack for Duke3D, based on the HRP models.

https://sites.google...site/duke3dvmp/
pics...
Spoiler

User is offline   lamduck 

I have tried to get this voxel model pack to work and for some reason I cannot get it to load the voxels. I have followed the instructions and it just doesn't want to load them. On a related note, I used another build of eduke32 dated 2/26/2014 and it will load some of the voxel models, although it is limited to 24 mb of space for them, so you have to go into the voxels directory and edit the enemies.def and get it lower than 24 mb. It's cool, but I'd like to play with all voxel models, not voxels and sprites.

Can someone please comment on how to get the models to load? The directions are simple, and I tried following that, copy the files into the directory and place the duke3d.grp file and all should work. It doesn't load any voxel models when I do that. It's great to see voxels in Duke3D! Any help is appreciated, thank you!

This gave me a hint from the website,

It consist of 8-bit Voxel replacements for all pickup sprites, as well as fully animated enemies. (bosses still wip and not yet def'd in)

Turns out I was trying to run it in 32-bit, I didn't know it was 8-bit only.

OpenGL an Hires is good too, although voxels just have a nice bulk to them and seem more volumetric than polygons, the Pig Cop looks great!

One problem still, I do see that the slimes are for some reason flipped, they have a mouth on the top and look completely inverted, anyone know why? If I find a solution I'll post it.

View Postlamduck, on 16 September 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

This gave me a hint from the website,

Turns out I was trying to run it in 32-bit, I didn't know it was 8-bit only.

OpenGL an Hires is good too, although voxels just have a nice bulk to them and seem more volumetric than polygons, the Pig Cop looks great!

One problem still, I do see that the slimes are for some reason flipped, they have a mouth on the top and look completely inverted, anyone know why? If I find a solution I'll post it.

Enemies now work and all load up by placing the zip file in a directory and having it autoload. I do not get all items in voxels, when I try to add them to the autoload, it conflicts and items cycle in a weird way where a switch will look like a health box, ammo, etc. and is all messed up. If I can find a way to have both enemies and items in voxels I'll post it. Also it sure would be great to have the bosses made into voxels, I guess the mod author didn't finish them. It's still cool and I guess I can always just use polygons.

User is offline   Kyanos 

items cycle in a weird way where a switch will look like a health box, ammo, etc. and is all messed up. If I can find a way to have both enemies and items in voxels I'll post it.

Same here, it's the memory limit, I tweaked / broke the EDuke32 executable released with the pack just to get it where it's at.

Also it sure would be great to have the bosses made into voxels, I guess the mod author didn't finish them. It's still cool and I guess I can always just use polygons.

I have two bosses here... yes unfinished. I don't have my source work anymore, I quit this when I had a laptop crash and never got back into it. The engine has a few things in the way of a full voxel pack.

here they are, the queen and cycloid
https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Just a reminder: if you run in 32-bit, then the voxels are literally being converted into models. So for resource usage, if you are going to run in 32-bit then it makes much more sense to create a set of models that look like voxels (as the game does anyway) so you don't have to wait for the game to do it and run out of memory.

In essence this is a different vision of the HRP. The voxels seem better not because they are voxels (you can make models that look just like them), but because their style is consistent with the style of the original game.

EDIT: I need to read more carefully. So all of the voxels in this are based on the HRP models? I can understand that for the enemies, but there are some awesome voxels out there for weapon and item pickups, for example, that are not based on the HRP and would be better imo.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 24 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 November 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

but because their style is consistent with the style of the original game.

This is only the case due to all the skins being forced to the Duke 3D palette.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostHendricks266, on 24 November 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

This is only the case due to all the skins being forced to the Duke 3D palette.

More than that, the voxels are way lower detail level than the original HRP models, giving them a pixelish feel that is retro yet true 3D.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 November 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

EDIT: I need to read more carefully. So all of the voxels in this are based on the HRP models? I can understand that for the enemies, but there are some awesome voxels out there for weapon and item pickups, for example, that are not based on the HRP and would be better imo.

It was more of a technical exercise on my end, personally I think reapermans voxel pack is way better, it would be cool to get 1-1 enemy voxels, based off the sprites. But I'll probably never do it.

I also don't recommend running this in 32bit. It's counter to the intent, maybe someone could make vox2poly run outside of the EDuke32 loadup, then load the md3s properly if you really dig the blocky look and want polymodes for other reasons.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Dang! Just got reminded that I still haven't checked out this one. :)

View PostDrek, on 24 November 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

I don't have my source work anymore, I quit this when I had a laptop crash and never got back into it.
So you didn't obey the three rules of computing?
Spoiler

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostLeoD, on 24 November 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

So you didn't obey the three rules of computing?

I kept backups of all the nearly finished stuff. By source work basically I mean edited skins (like h266 said I forced the 8bit palette) and some batch files for running poly2vox, picking proper frames, scale and such.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

How did you do that? Would it be possible to convert Duke 64 models to voxels?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFox, on 24 November 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Go to Ken Silverman's project page and download poly2vox: http://advsys.net/ken/download.htm

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostFox, on 24 November 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

What Dan said, poly2vox does most of the work.

Also grab slab6 from Ken's page there. I used it for finishing color touch ups and trimming a few loose cubes in the end result.

User is offline   Kyanos 

for fox mainly, one of my bat scripts for poly2vox
Spoiler

Speaking of voxels the other day I found these in some file I downloaded long ago.

random voxels for duke3d and nam

added:
I dug through all my backups and buried deep I found the source work I mentioned.
Attached Image: sources.PNG
Attached Image: overlord.PNG
Attached Image: battlelord.PNG

I can see myself making a bosses only voxel pack, but not any time too soon.
Would any one be interested in that?

This post has been edited by Drek: 24 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostDrek, on 24 November 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

for fox mainly, one of my bat scripts for poly2vox
Spoiler

Speaking of voxels the other day I found these in some file I downloaded long ago.

random voxels for duke3d and nam

added:
I dug through all my backups and buried deep I found the source work I mentioned.
Attachment sources.PNG
Attachment overlord.PNG
Attachment battlelord.PNG

I can see myself making a bosses only voxel pack, but not any time too soon.
Would any one be interested in that?

Those bosses look awesome! Whenever you get around to it is fine by me, thanks for all your work! There is something about voxels, it's really a cool thing to see a fast processor and ram being able to render all these voxels. I always liked the look of voxels.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's really a cool way to play. For all the addons/mods/replay Atomic Edition, what do I want to do? Voxels, Sprites, Polygons? It's a fun question.

User is offline   Jaap 

Looks cool. I tried to convert the hrp models myself too, I wrote my own tool because I had completely forgotten about the poly2vox :)

View Postlamduck, on 27 November 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Those bosses look awesome! Whenever you get around to it is fine by me, thanks for all your work! There is something about voxels, it's really a cool thing to see a fast processor and ram being able to render all these voxels. I always liked the look of voxels.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's really a cool way to play. For all the addons/mods/replay Atomic Edition, what do I want to do? Voxels, Sprites, Polygons? It's a fun question.

Any news?

User is offline   Kyanos 

I did continue on it for a while in 2015 all the bosses are made into voxels. I dug it all up just now and finished the def code, it needs a ton (more than 50 voxels worth) of finishing polish, most of them are still fresh from poly2vox and need major skinning work on the model before a final pass through slab6 for the real detailed work.

Here it sits. Just drop the zip into autoload.
https://sites.google...?pli=1#Download

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Drek: 07 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

View PostDrek, on 07 July 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

I did continue on it for a while in 2015 all the bosses are made into voxels. I dug it all up just now and finished the def code, it needs a ton (more than 50 voxels worth) of finishing polish, most of them are still fresh from poly2vox and need major skinning work on the model before a final pass through slab6 for the real detailed work.

Here it sits. Just drop the zip into autoload.
https://sites.google...?pli=1#Download

Great work! I guess we are the last of the voxel warriors. Not exactly a ton of activity in here the last two years, I guess most people prefer the polygons. I do enjoy playing the voxelized versions, so I will give them a whirl.

If you have any pointers for getting these to work on a new version of eDuke32, I'd appreciate that too. I am running an old build, EDuke32 2.0.0devel rXXXX, Compiled Mar 13 2013 19:01:37, and it appears I won't be able to play this on Windows 10, it doesn't let me set the mode to 8 bit, if I set to any other mode, ie 32 bit, it just shows the regular old sprite enemies.

• Weaponized Autism

How is the pack not working on the latest synthesis builds? Post your eduke32.log when it fails to work.

View PostHendricks266, on 07 July 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

How is the pack not working on the latest synthesis builds? Post your eduke32.log when it fails to work.

Ok, I am using a "it's not broke so don't fix it" approach. I will try it with Win 10 with the latest Eduke32 build. My "extremely long toothed" version works on Win 7 and Vista. I will let you know what I find out on the latest build. It may be fine.

View PostHendricks266, on 07 July 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

Here is the log file when using the latest build on windows 10, it's name is eDuke32.exe

EDuke32 r6347
Built Jul  8 2017 12:54:17, GCC 6.3.0, 64-bit 
Using C:/Duke Nukem/Duke3d Voxel/ for game data
Running on Windows 10 (build 10.0.15063)
Initializing SDL 2.0.5
Searching for game data...
Using "Duke3D.grp" as main game data file.
Using group file "autoload/duke3d_voxels11.zip".
Compiling: EDUKE.CON (480 bytes)
Including: GAME.CON (151190 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3967: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5890: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Script compiled in 35ms, 131416 bytes
Initialized 24.0M cache
Loading "duke3d.def"
.ERROR: CACHE SPACE ALL LOCKED UP!

Here is the log for the older version working Windows 7, it's name is eDuke64.exe

EDuke32 2.0.0devel rXXXX 
Compiled Mar 13 2013 19:01:37
Using C:/Duke Nukem 3D/Duke3d Voxel/ for game data
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 6.1.7601)
Initializing DirectDraw...
Searching for game data...
Using C:/Duke Nukem 3D/Duke3d Voxel/ for game data
Using "DUKE3D.GRP" as main game data file.
Using group file "autoload/duke3d_voxels11.zip".
Compiling: EDUKE.CON (480 bytes)
Including: GAME.CON (151190 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3967: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5890: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Resizing code buffer to 16240*8 bytes
Script compiled in 22ms, 16232*8b, version 1.4+
2007/11264 labels, 322/2048 variables, 2/512 arrays
125 quotes, 207 actors
Loading "duke3d.def"
Definitions file "duke3d.def" loaded.
warning: case mismatch: passed "DUKE.RTS", real "Duke.rts"
Using RTS file "DUKE.RTS".
Initializing OSD...
Initializing DirectInput...
  - Enumerating attached game controllers
  - No game controllers found
Uninitializing DirectInput...
Executing "settings.cfg"
Enabling desktop composition...
Setting video mode 1920x1080 (8-bit fullscreen)
Initializing music...
Initializing sound... 32 voices, 2 channels, 16-bit 44100 Hz
Cache time: 31ms

Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg
Uninitializing DirectDraw...

I had seen the 24 MB cache used up error before with other versions of eDuke, and used a version that did not have that limit. But that version does not work on Win 10. So maybe it is a Windows 10 problem, there are problems with DirectDraw games in Win 10. If it's possible to increase the cache to larger than 24 MB, then the new version may work, except that may depend if Win 10 even has an 8 bpp mode? I did try to set it in the configuration file, and it would start the launcher with the selection for resolution and bpp greyed out, but just closes after launching. Also note I am trying to use the enemy voxels, not just items voxels.

User is offline   Kyanos 

nevermind

This post has been edited by Drek: 08 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Add to the top of the defs:

cachesize 131072

View PostHendricks266, on 08 July 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

Add to the top of the defs:

cachesize 131072

Are there certain def files that needs to be added to? Duke3d.def? Or all defs? There are a lot of them in the voxel pack. Thank you!

• Weaponized Autism

Try the top of duke3d_voxel.def. You only need it once in the set.

View PostHendricks266, on 10 July 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Try the top of duke3d_voxel.def. You only need it once in the set.

You rock, I am now kicking ass and chewing bubblegum on Win 10 with voxel enemies!

• Weaponized Autism

Glad to hear it! We should probably automatically increase the cache size if we fill it during load...

View PostHendricks266, on 10 July 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

Glad to hear it! We should probably automatically increase the cache size if we fill it during load...

What a great work by everyone on this board, I recently fired up Eternity mod again, such a great game, when it first released I played through it three times straight because it was so fun with the Duke bots and the story. I love what he says it cracks me up everytime, so macho! I play Decay mod lots and have a blast. I think there are games around that are hard to beat even in this day and age, Duke is the king, whatever incarnation.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options