Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

View PostMicky C, on 29 August 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

They must have had it in development for around 2 years and must have been doing something to it. Although there is a 2009 trailer that shows it looking pretty similar to the final release. The point being they shipped it and so had the final say in how it turned out. Apparently they cut lots of optional areas resulting in the super-linear maps we ended up with, in order to increase framerate on the consoles.

I'm sure if they start a new Duke game from scratch it should be much better than DNF (I mean it can't really be any worse right?). The only worry would be how much they dumb it down for mainstream audiences. On the other hand, the industry seems to be moving away from regenerating health, ultra-linear levels and two-weapon limits which is a good thing.

In hindsight, out of all the development cycles of DNF, they decided to ship the worst possible one at the peak of the whole regenerating health COD craze. If they'd just held on another few years they probably would have scrapped that and moved back more to traditional Duke territory Posted Image

Do you have the source that says they cut out the extra areas?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Nah sorry I just remember reading that on the forum. I think the original info was given by some ex-3DR guy when asked if the levels were always so linear. He said that they "removed dead ends" and stuff like that.

I don't think it would have made much difference due to how broken the gameplay was. I mean in Duke 3D when you found a secret you'd often get health, armour, weapons or ammo. Health and armour are obsolete in DNF, and as for weapons; you can only hold 2 at a time so finding something like the devestator isn't very useful, and there's enough weapons lying around that ammo was never a problem (*cough* infinite ammo crates).

I.e secrets are useless so by extension so is exploration.

User is offline   MetHy 

That's a good point. In the DLC of DNF, when you're shrunk in the kid's rooms, there is a secret devastator in there. So, find the secret, you get the devastator.

problem is, there is literaly not a single enemy to use it against until you reach the boss (which is quite close), and there is a devastator in the boss area.

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=262763005

View PostTerminX, on 22 August 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

I haven't asked anyone yet because I'm afraid of the answer.

Remember the Litany of Gendlin:

What is true is already so.
Owning up to it doesn't make it worse.
Not being open about it doesn't make it go away.
And because it's true, it is what is there to be interacted with.
Anything untrue isn't there to be lived.
People can stand what is true,
for they are already enduring it.
Eugene Gendlin

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 30 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I got an answer and it was exactly what I didn't want to hear. Sorry everyone.

I will try to work with Gearbox to make this happen for you guys.

User is offline   Lunick 

OH NO :) ;) :D :D :D :D ^_^

That's truly heartbreaking to hear. I hope matters can be resolved in an appropriate fashion that satisfies both parties.

Does this also affect the Hail to the King Collection?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Yay Gearbox.

:D

User is offline   Fulsy 

View PostTerminX, on 30 August 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

Best of luck to you.

At least there's a newly discovered Doom alpha out there (0.3) to tide me over a bit.

Great, as if I didn't hate them enough already

:D

I hope this will get sorted out soon.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

So does that mean Gearbox owns all of Duke now?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostReaperMan, on 30 August 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

So does that mean Gearbox owns all of Duke now?

Yes.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTerminX, on 30 August 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

Yes.

Oh. :D

User is offline   The Kins 

Additional reminder/bit of soulcrushing: Devolver Digital own Shadow Warrior now. They're probably on friendlier terms with 3DR than Gearbox, but that's still more moving parts to deal with.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Damn. I don't see Gbx letting those betas out. I hope I'm wrong.

At least they seem to be committed to a new game.

There is one good thing, 3DR have to look forward now and concentrate on their new properties. Good luck to them.

• Honored Donor

Wow, they must have been absolutely raped in that courtroom.

3DR: We want to make a new Duke game.
GBX: No
3DR: Ok.... we'll just be on our way then.
GBX: Hold on now, gimme your other games too!
3DR: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Let's hope this means that Gearbox are more dedicated to the Duke franchise now that they're more invested in it.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 31 August 2015 - 02:45 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I read some of the papers and it did seem that they had the rights to make that last Duke game. They went in with the rights to a movie and a game and left without the money for the parking meter. What happened?

• Honored Donor

The impression I got from this thread is that Gearbox now owns all the Duke games, including Duke 3D and any associated material. Is this not the case?

View PostTea Monster, on 31 August 2015 - 03:06 AM, said:

I read some of the papers and it did seem that they had the rights to make that last Duke game. They went in with the rights to a movie and a game and left without the money for the parking meter. What happened?

I had the exact same impression. What happened?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTerminX, on 30 August 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

Yes.

This is the worst news ever. No beta, no mapping contest, and any map we release is basically Gearbox's property now. I feel crushed.

View PostThe Kins, on 30 August 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

Additional reminder/bit of soulcrushing: Devolver Digital own Shadow Warrior now. They're probably on friendlier terms with 3DR than Gearbox, but that's still more moving parts to deal with.

Are you sure? Last I heard Shadow Warrior was owned by Broussard himself (as a person, not as a company) and that Devolver only got a licence to make the new games.

Unless Broussard only owns the first Shadow Warrior and not the whole IP ?

I'm pretty sure the SW IP was eventually given entirely to Devolver.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Unbelievable.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I think Randy Pitchford learned a long time ago that nice guys in the video game industry are the ones that get sent home early. :D Anyone that isn't shrewd in this industry gets taken advantage of. It really sucks because Interceptor was different and treated fans respectfully. :D

I will never buy a Gearbox title. Oh wait, I already made that decision before DNF. :D But still, I hope all that fighting for the Duke IP was worth it Randy, because a lot of the fanbase isn't going to pay for a new game now. Better check if Duke is still relevant to be marketed to kids today. Like heck if I'm even going to be bothered to try the demo if a new Duke game comes to light with Gearbox's name on it.

This post has been edited by EMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT: 31 August 2015 - 06:18 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

Sorry to hear this. The curse continues. Who could have predicted?

So right now the only thing new 3DR can do is Bombshell or another Rise of the Triad? Prey is owned (and threw into oblivion) by Bethesda, and Max Payne is now with Rockstar.

What's gonna happen to us?

User is offline   Gargoyle 

This is the end.

Posted Image

User is offline   Player Lin 

*sigh*

I guess it's not matter for me anymore......

Still wait and see, what'll be happens...

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

We're sorry guys. We did everything we could :'(

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

@ everyone

It's really sad to hear but we shouldn't be let down by those news ... Everyone tried their best with good intentions.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options