Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Kid 

What a beautiful sky!

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTerminX, on 23 April 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

Was it a guess or did you notice the hint?

I just thought since it was the simplest map that it was the oldest.

User is offline   Marnetmar 

Are you guys going to keep the betas that currently can't be released due to NDA? I think we'd all hate for important pieces of history to be lost by the time someone okays their releases.

Also I would think companies would pay more attention to people from Interceptor Entertainment than they would random modders asking for permission to release certain betas.

This post has been edited by Marnetmar: 23 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

User is offline   rtim 

hello, i'm new and seen that some of you guy want to know about the blood IP and here is some info

blood was originally being developed by 3D realms but then monolith finished it and 3DR became a producer of the game, blood was Published GT interactive and GT still has the IP rights with the only difference that they are a subsidiarity of atari SA (formerly known as Infogrames) and there name was changed to atari inc also like most atari SA/atari inc IPs, it has been dormant for years because atari dose not know what to do with the hundreds of IPs they have and if you want to know what happened to some good IPs, just look up Infogrames,GT interactive and companies that they bought out

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMarnetmar, on 23 April 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Are you guys going to keep the betas that currently can't be released due to NDA? I think we'd all hate for important pieces of history to be lost by the time someone okays their releases.

Also I would think companies would pay more attention to people from Interceptor Entertainment than they would random modders asking for permission to release certain betas.

Wait for the revamped 3D Realms website...

View Postrtim, on 23 April 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

hello, i'm new and seen that some of you guy want to know about the blood IP and here is some info

blood was originally being developed by 3D realms but then monolith finished it and 3DR became a producer of the game, blood was Published GT interactive and GT still has the IP rights with the only difference that they are a subsidiarity of atari SA (formerly known as Infogrames) and there name was changed to atari inc also like most atari SA/atari inc IPs, it has been dormant for years because atari dose not know what to do with the hundreds of IPs they have and if you want to know what happened to some good IPs, just look up Infogrames,GT interactive and companies that they bought out

The Blood rights are owned by Warner Bros. Atari has the rights to publish the games. http://www.lith.com/Games/Blood
BLOOD™ Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. (s97-13)

This post has been edited by Lunick: 23 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

That old version of Stadium looks really cool.. The field looks like an old NES football game.

User is offline   KareBear 

View Postrtim, on 23 April 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

blood was originally being developed by 3D realms

No it was initially being developed by Q Studios who were later acquired by Monolith.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

*cough*

That should answer part of the Blood story.. Then GT died and everything was sent to Atari and.. Now how this led to WB is beyond me.

That's how I think it all went.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 23 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Warner Bros bought Monolith.

View Postgerolf, on 23 April 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

*cough*

That should answer part of the Blood story.. Then GT died and everything was sent to Atari and.. Now how this led to WB is beyond me.

That's how I think it all went.

3D Realms was the publisher before the sale not the developer.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostMrFlibble, on 23 April 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

I've always thought that the Battlelord looked like a pumped-up version of the Enforcer; I guess it would be logical if they both made their appearance in the same episode.

You know, that actually does make sense when I think about it. It's funny, Commando Nukem mentioned something about this game still having suprises after all these years, and I'd have to say that is definitely true. Great stuff. B)

Also, I must say that coming home to this thread everyday and seeing all of this new/old stuff being released and discussed has been a real treat. Thanks Hendricks and TerminX for putting in the effort in going through all of this awesome material, and thanks to Fred for giving it to them! B)

View PostFox, on 23 April 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

Duke Nukem 3D development was such a turmoil, and the end result is very simply.

Huh, what kind of problems did they have to face during the development?

By the way, was the Stadium back then in lameduke planned as a boss stage or what?

I'm guessing that older versions of the Build editor are hanging around with these? Can't help wondering if we'll also see that if/when this stuff is released as I've always kinda wanted to mess with some of the effects from LameDuke that weren't in the final game like those multi-floor elevators and I know of no version of the editor currently available that is compatible with the maps from that.

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

View PostCommando Nukem, on 23 April 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

It makes sense to a degree, why bother modeling something you'll probably never have a chance to see up close?

It also explains why the "mark 2" (as I call it) Duke model was made for Episode 2-4 cinematics.

Attachment Duke Nukem FROM 3D.jpg

I call mark 2 Duke creepy old Duke. I always wondered why he looked significantly uglier in those later cutscenes. I would have taken no fingers over that any day!

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

Hey there, fellow Dukers B) Just wanted to stop by and say that this is indeed a really nice thread you have here.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Amazing stuff in here, thanks for sharing, Frederik!

For now, I have only one question: what portion of source code is covered by the beta snapshots? Specifically, would I be correct to assume that the Build engine versions are only distributed as pre-compiled libraries? What I'm really aiming at is the "gradual" water mirroring code from LameDuke -- people have asked for it to be implemented in the past and I guess it would be pretty cool seeing it resurrected in EDuke32 in its original glory.

View PostHigh Treason, on 24 April 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

I'm guessing that older versions of the Build editor are hanging around with these? Can't help wondering if we'll also see that if/when this stuff is released as I've always kinda wanted to mess with some of the effects from LameDuke that weren't in the final game like those multi-floor elevators and I know of no version of the editor currently available that is compatible with the maps from that.

You really have to distinguish between engine and game code. If something like the mentioned water mirroring isn't present in the engine, there's not much you can do, but as far as game effects are concerned, the editor couldn't care less about those. After all, consider how effects are made when mapping: you add special sprites and give them particular properties. The editor has no knowlege at all what this all means. So what you likely want is the elevator code (which I guess to be implemented on the game side) to be ported, and again -- this has nothing to do with the editor.

One more thing: let's keep trivial quarrels out of this glorious thread, okay? It's already high-volume without them.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I actually found a mid-1995 engine source code snapshot in what we received, which as far as I knew 3DR wasn't even supposed to have. The floor mirroring stuff is still in at that point AFAIK.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostTerminX, on 24 April 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

I actually found a mid-1995 engine source code snapshot in what we received, which as far as I knew 3DR wasn't even supposed to have. The floor mirroring stuff is still in at that point AFAIK.

B) B) B)

View PostJimmy, on 17 April 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

View PostTerminX, on 17 April 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Your exclamation of "Oh shit!" near the end. Me too, man, me too.

I have to admit that I'm probably missing something. Sure, that entrance to the "lunar metro" in Dark Side is more colorful than the final version, there's this big green star and the fullbright light texture running along the top, but what's the "neon" Viper is referring to? The reddish glow from the walls? (Again, I'm kinda curious whether it's only due to different resources or a "novel" engine effect, in which case the above smiley applies.)

Helixhorned said:

You really have to distinguish between engine and game code. If something like the mentioned water mirroring isn't present in the engine, there's not much you can do, but as far as game effects are concerned, the editor couldn't care less about those. After all, consider how effects are made when mapping: you add special sprites and give them particular properties. The editor has no knowlege at all what this all means. So what you likely want is the elevator code (which I guess to be implemented on the game side) to be ported, and again -- this has nothing to do with the editor.

That's not how I meant it. LameDuke used a different version of the engine to the final game (Version 5 or 6 for LameDuke versus Version 7 for the final game) and Ken never made a version of the Build editor available that can open and save Lameduke maps, also no converter to convert the maps back to the version used in LameDuke rendering it impossible to tamper with maps from it.

Porting the code would be neat, however, but it'd still be nice to get ahold of that editor as I think it would be fun to play with.

As a last note, there wasn't only water mirroring, there was an effect for non reflective water too, if that code is around it may be worth looking into porting that as I always thought it looked cool.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 24 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostHigh Treason, on 24 April 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

That's not how I meant it. LameDuke used a different version of the engine to the final game (Version 5 or 6 for LameDuke versus Version 7 for the final game)

The V5/V6 map format specification is available in EDuke32 (see build/src/engine_oldmap.h), after all we can read those. It would be a modest amount of work make it write them, too.

Edit: but yeah, I get your point. Just wanted to say that there's nothing magic with that.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

This isn't out of any new stuff coming down the pipe, Nukemdave found this on YouTube awhile ago, but it is relevant to the old version of Duke.

https://dl.dropboxus...uke%20Nukem.mp4

The LameDuke version of the player model/sprite with those grey knee pads.

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Komenja 

Ohhhh baby, dem SMGs.

User is offline   Eclipse 

View PostHendricks266, on 24 April 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Posted Image

Sounds like a tasty planet! Posted Image

• Weaponized Autism

Thread split.

View PostKid, on 23 April 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

I am also wondering if there are any sprites of the famous snake head that got replaced by the sentry drone? Would be interesting to see

Posted Image

View PostNukeaholic, on 23 April 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Also regarding the snake head, a quick Google search revealed this (bottom in the pictures section) that's the only sprite I have seen of it though.

Posted Image

User is offline   Cage 

View PostHendricks266, on 25 April 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Guess my magazine scan rip clean-up was a bit off B)
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Cage: 25 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Thread split.

Posted Image

After seeing this, I can see why they cut the Snake head. it looks really, really stupid when it's staring at you.

User is offline   Darkus 

Posted Image

Posted Image

jet_nick also remade him:

Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

"Awww... isn't that adorable?" - Duke.

Thread split.

Can you post some Shadow Warrior stuff please?

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options