Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

View Postgerolf, on 17 April 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

I knew it! The Pig Cops used to fly back when hit! I always had a feeling that was the case due to some of the old screenshots!

The Troopers shown in this build also fly back when shot. My guess is that the build in the video and the one TerminX just showed off are pretty close to each other.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 17 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 17 April 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

The Troopers shown in this build also fly back when shot. My guess is that the build in the video and the one TerminX just showed off are pretty close to each other.

There's also something (you pointed this out before I think) where you could open the windows/force fields in space levels, and the enemies would be sucked out in that version. I think that IS the version TerminX is showing, or it's one of the many versions of that build.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 17 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostDarkus, on 17 April 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Again, whoa :)
Everything is here, the pigcops, the lizmans, and some new music! Even XPLASMA.MID is different from the final version.
And we have not seen everything yet...

I'd love to get a hold of those MIDIs so I can make SC-55 recordings of them!

There are no words to describe how hyped I am about this. I grew up playing Apogee and 3D Realms titles, and I've always been interested in the development history of games and seeing the changes as things went along. Hearing that there's basically a mountain of old content lying around just waiting to be seen fills me with so much wonderment I could just die.

View PostDarkus, on 17 April 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

And what about Shadow Warrior? I remember seeing very old pictures which are not like from the final game...

I agree; definitely keep us posted on this front. Somewhere I recall seeing images of SW from way, way early that were included on the disk with some Apogee game that were incredibly different from the final product: Wolfenstein 3D levels of bright color and what appeared to be a straight-up feudal Japanese setting. If you find ANYTHING from that point in development, I'll cry.

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 17 April 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

We actually just hired a fan a few days ago (Tempus from the steam ROTT community), after creating some of the most popular ROTT community maps. :)

Speaking of, I've been trying to get hold of somebody over there for a while now. I'm the dude who did the VA for Brutal Doom (and some other more professional things to my credit) and I've been trying to get some info on how to submit demos to you guys. I know it's off-topic, but any chance I could get a PM with that info, or at least a better way to get in contact with Interceptor in this regard?

EDIT: This was written when MYHOUSE.MAP had just posted;
That's one thing that has always intrigued me, the evolution of the enemies. From the robotrooper to the liztrooper or where pigcops were introduced, also wonder about bosses - maybe there are different ones or different boss levels. Also it just occurred to me that the Hollywood Holocaust with the double length street where the player started in a small building down an alley (version seen in that drawing fox posted a few times) might be included in these and for some reason I've really been itching to see that since figuring out that several screen shots belonged to it, meaning it at least did exist at one point and may still do. I'm sure we'll find out in the future, today has been an awesome day and I think I'm not going to sleep well.
------

Written now;
@gerlof; You can sort of do that in the first level of Lameduke too.

@MusicallyInspired; Not if I get my SCC-1 on them first... :)

This post has been edited by High Treason: 17 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostDarkus, on 17 April 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

And what about Shadow Warrior? I remember seeing very old pictures which are not like from the final game...

View PostZero X. Diamond, on 17 April 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

I agree; definitely keep us posted on this front. Somewhere I recall seeing images of SW from way, way early that were included on the disk with some Apogee game that were incredibly different from the final product: Wolfenstein 3D levels of bright color and what appeared to be a straight-up feudal Japanese setting. If you find ANYTHING from that point in development, I'll cry.

Found them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTerminX, on 17 April 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

The flamethrower in 0.99 is nothing like what is in these versions, actually. I think what is in 0.99 is already being transitioned into a different weapon...

Perhaps it's the "Laser Chainsaw".

User is offline   Lunick 

What the fuck, I shouldn't have gone to bed!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostZero X. Diamond, on 17 April 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

Grab some tissues.

View PostDarkus, on 17 April 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Those are the only frames I found for the dragon and sumo.

I haven't had time yet to fire the game up and play. Rest assured though, there is plenty to go through.

1995-01-23  07:34 PM         2,618,217 SW_0195.ZIP
1994-05-25  12:05 PM         1,231,674 SW_0594.ZIP
1997-02-20  10:00 AM         7,848,940 SW_0696.ZIP
1997-02-06  01:34 PM         5,178,525 SW_0995.ZIP
1997-02-20  09:46 AM         9,143,001 SW_1196.ZIP
               5 File(s)     26,020,357 bytes

(Ignore the dates on the left; those are likely from copying/archival.)

User is offline   Mike12 

Alphas from 1994? Christ, it's amazing just how long some of these games have been worked on.

Also, it might just be me mixing something up in my memory, but didn't the earliest, earliest version of Shadow Warrior begin as Hocus Pocus 3D or something? I could have sworn I'd seen something of the sort somewhere, can't quite remember though.

I am one of the newcomers. Interceptor released rott and made me play games from the 90's again.
I am happy for all of you guys, who have been active in the community. Finally something that is for YOU. Some of you actually get to help release this stuff. Finally the duke community is rewarded. Thank you interceptor and thanks for the persons who are committed to helping interceptor, so we, the community can actually see how everything started. I am really looking forward to all of this.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I just wanna stop for a minute and say this.

Look, it's pretty obvious I'm a troll. I love talking shit. Honestly, most of the active members on this site are shitposters.

But I have a heart. Interceptor's actions as of today have made me totally do a 180 on my opinion of these guys.

Fred, you are the fucking man. This impending release is seriously one of the greatest things I've ever seen a company do for it's fans.

I wish you the best of luck in this and all future endeavors. If there is a way, any way at all, you guys could ever get back the Duke Nukem IP, even if it's a 1% chance, do it. Release the DNF betas.

You will be hailed as Gods. Keep up the great work.

View PostHendricks266, on 17 April 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Grab some tissues.

This comes from my heart.

User is offline   Ronin 

Fresch, this is an incredible thing you have done for this community, I don't think anyone ever really thought this would happen.

If you continue this approach, you will find that your company will become incredibly respected.

I wonder, how do George and Scott feel about this? And if they are happy with it then why did this not happen sooner.

I really hope you guys get a shot at a new Duke now. :)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostRonan, on 17 April 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

Fresch, this is an incredible thing you have done for this community, I don't think anyone ever really thought this would happen.

If you continue this approach, you will find that your company will become incredibly respected.

I wonder, how do George and Scott feel about this? And if they are happy with it then why did this not happen sooner.

I really hope you guys get a shot at a new Duke now. :)

Honestly, I never thought it would happen this fast... I contacted him on Facebook and asked for this stuff like half a week ago. Amazing turnaround time. My opinion of this guy has flipped 180 degrees from where it was a year or even a month ago. Fucking awesome. I am sure Scott is pleased--if he isn't, I could give him a dozen reasons to be.

View PostTerminX, on 17 April 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

I am sure Scott is pleased--if he isn't, I could give him a dozen reasons to be.

That's a pretty elaborate handjob.

View PostTerminX, on 17 April 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Coryyne: 17 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

Oh man I am going to use the shit out of that gif.

User is offline   Malgon 

Man, this thread is awesome! :) I can't believe all of the great stuff that we've been shown so far, and it looks like it's only the tip of the iceberg. It's good to see Hendricks266 and TerminX getting involved in checking out all of the old builds and such too. Keep it up Fred! :)

P.s. It really is a 'Good Friday' today!

I propose that someone embed fastway.mid into each post about Duke Nukem 3D betas for the true DN3D beta experience.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostTerminX, on 17 April 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Honestly, I never thought it would happen this fast... I contacted him on Facebook and asked for this stuff like half a week ago. Amazing turnaround time. My opinion of this guy has flipped 180 degrees from where it was a year or even a month ago. Fucking awesome. I am sure Scott is pleased--if he isn't, I could give him a dozen reasons to be.

Awesome is right, most game companys have become so cunty these days, this always happen when industries get better at making money.

It's refresching to see a company go against the trend and actually reach out to it's customers and do things they don't have to do.

I bought RoTT and I wasn't happy with it, but this kind of action makes the money I spent worthwhile.

Ah, yes. FASTWAY. The only good part about RoTT. Tom Hall's team were smoking crack when they designed that game.

View PostProtected by Viper, on 17 April 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Ah, yes. FASTWAY. The only good part about RoTT. Tom Hall's team were smoking crack when they designed that game.

Fastway.mid is the only song in Lameduke and plays in every LD level. I consider it the unofficial theme song of Duke Nukem 3D betas.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostRonan, on 17 April 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

It's refresching to see a company go against the trend and actually reach out to it's customers and do things they don't have to do.

I see what you did there. :)

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 17 April 2014 - 06:10 PM, said:

Fastway.mid is the only song in Lameduke and plays in every LD level. I consider it the unofficial theme song of Duke Nukem 3D betas.

Same! I loved RoTT and all, but I've always associated it with Lameduke more than anything else. It just fits the atmosphere.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMalgon, on 17 April 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

I see what you did there. :)

Shhh.

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 17 April 2014 - 06:10 PM, said:

I know this.

User is offline   eisnerguy1 

I joined just to say thank you to all who are responsible for bringing this amazing stuff to the fans! :)

User is offline   Malgon 

Posted Image

Is it just me, or do the unused DN3D logos have a very DN2 feel in regards to the overall style of them?

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2021 - 02:20 PM
Reason for edit: revived image

User is offline   eisnerguy1 

This reminded me that a few years ago, I re-created the Shadow Warrior development update archive pages:
https://dl.dropboxus...ates/index.html

It'd be great to get my hands on those specific builds :)

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options