Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 78 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Fulsy 

View PostTerminX, on 30 August 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

I got an answer and it was exactly what I didn't want to hear. Sorry everyone.

I will try to work with Gearbox to make this happen for you guys.

Best of luck to you.

At least there's a newly discovered Doom alpha out there (0.3) to tide me over a bit.

Great, as if I didn't hate them enough already

:D

I hope this will get sorted out soon.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

So does that mean Gearbox owns all of Duke now?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostReaperMan, on 30 August 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

So does that mean Gearbox owns all of Duke now?

Yes.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTerminX, on 30 August 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

Yes.

Oh. :D

User is offline   The Kins 

Additional reminder/bit of soulcrushing: Devolver Digital own Shadow Warrior now. They're probably on friendlier terms with 3DR than Gearbox, but that's still more moving parts to deal with.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Damn. I don't see Gbx letting those betas out. I hope I'm wrong.

At least they seem to be committed to a new game.

There is one good thing, 3DR have to look forward now and concentrate on their new properties. Good luck to them.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Wow, they must have been absolutely raped in that courtroom.

3DR: We want to make a new Duke game.
GBX: No
3DR: Ok.... we'll just be on our way then.
GBX: Hold on now, gimme your other games too!
3DR: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Let's hope this means that Gearbox are more dedicated to the Duke franchise now that they're more invested in it.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 31 August 2015 - 02:45 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I read some of the papers and it did seem that they had the rights to make that last Duke game. They went in with the rights to a movie and a game and left without the money for the parking meter. What happened?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The impression I got from this thread is that Gearbox now owns all the Duke games, including Duke 3D and any associated material. Is this not the case?

View PostTea Monster, on 31 August 2015 - 03:06 AM, said:

I read some of the papers and it did seem that they had the rights to make that last Duke game. They went in with the rights to a movie and a game and left without the money for the parking meter. What happened?

I had the exact same impression. What happened?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTerminX, on 30 August 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

Yes.

This is the worst news ever. No beta, no mapping contest, and any map we release is basically Gearbox's property now. I feel crushed.

View PostThe Kins, on 30 August 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

Additional reminder/bit of soulcrushing: Devolver Digital own Shadow Warrior now. They're probably on friendlier terms with 3DR than Gearbox, but that's still more moving parts to deal with.

Are you sure? Last I heard Shadow Warrior was owned by Broussard himself (as a person, not as a company) and that Devolver only got a licence to make the new games.

Unless Broussard only owns the first Shadow Warrior and not the whole IP ?

I'm pretty sure the SW IP was eventually given entirely to Devolver.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Unbelievable.

User is offline   Ronin 

Sorry to hear this. The curse continues. Who could have predicted?

So right now the only thing new 3DR can do is Bombshell or another Rise of the Triad? Prey is owned (and threw into oblivion) by Bethesda, and Max Payne is now with Rockstar.

What's gonna happen to us?

User is offline   Gargoyle 

This is the end.

http://i.imgur.com/17lN7FM.png

User is offline   Player Lin 

*sigh*

I guess it's not matter for me anymore......

Still wait and see, what'll be happens...

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

We're sorry guys. We did everything we could :'(

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

@ everyone

It's really sad to hear but we shouldn't be let down by those news ... Everyone tried their best with good intentions.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What bugs me is we didn't ASK for an isometric Duke game. And now we've potentially lost all the stuff we DID want. Interceptor should have just abandoned the dumb Mass Destruction title as soon as there was contention.

Gah...

In a way, this thread is a perfect tribute to the 3D Realms of old - spending far too long trying to make a spectre of the past "perfect" and ending up with nothing.

I'll quote Rapture_Rising from the 3dRealms forum:

Probably not a surprising result and was the terms of the settlement between 3DR and Gearbox, So it looks like Gearbox owns everything Duke Nukem now.

The thing is this is what 3DR gets for trying to use a technicality to release a Duke Nukem game that it didn't have the rights too, this whole situation could have been avoided if Interceptor went to Gearbox with the idea. There is no Duke Nukem game from Gearbox in sight so they probably would have allowed development to continue, instead we ended up with this mess.

3DR realms would have done the same thing in this situation so Gearbox really aren't the bad guys here.

Personally, I had already lost hope in ever getting alphas or betas when I heard that Joe "hoard, brag and never share" Siegler was back at 3DRealms.

P. S.
I just noticed that the 3DRealms catalog still contains Duke Nukem games. I wonder whether they will eventually be removed...

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 31 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

You can only blame Fresch because of THAT! He could release these builds long time ago but no, he was wanted to make a project with that and its failed.Builds WERE PROMISED to be released and what we have now?!
Gearbox will never give a permission for that because this stuff means nothing for them. And actually - NO ONE is interested in DN3D builds, only hardcore fans want them. What the fucking problem? JUST LEAK builds and this story ends.

It's okay guys. I'm sure they still have the rights to some stuff.

I for one can't wait for the essay-length, developer-interview riddled exploration of the torrid development history behind Paganitzu.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Sonaria, that couldn't be further from the truth.

The promise is still there, but we are no longer the owners of that promise unfortunately. Again, we did the best we could all the way through. TerminX knows the details as he was involved in the work on this, but is unfortunately also under NDA.

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 31 August 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

Sonaria, that couldn't be further from the truth.

The promise is still there, but we are no longer the owners of that promise unfortunately. Again, we did the best we could all the way through. TerminX knows the details as he was involved in the work on this, but is unfortunately also under NDA.

Gearbox is not interested in this stuff. And they even didn't know about existance of this stuff. So again - what the problem with leaking it from some "anonymous"?

View PostSonaria The Druid, on 31 August 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Gearbox is not interested in this stuff. And they even didn't know about existance of this stuff. So again - what the problem with leaking it from some "anonymous"?
Because it'd be incredibly, mind-blowingly obvious where it came from? Because not being sued into financial/career ruin is better than internet cred? Because you realistically didn't think about this for longer than five seconds?

View PostThe Kins, on 31 August 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

Because it'd be incredibly, mind-blowingly obvious where it came from? Because not being sued into financial/career ruin is better than internet cred? Because you realistically didn't think about this for longer than five seconds?

Wow. Your arguments is completely invalid. It can be leaked from ANYONE, for instance from some "old anonymous" 3DR worker and so on! A lot of old games got actively builds leaks and no one cares. For instance a lot of builds of first Unreal got leaked from somebody without any permission from Epic. No one cares.

Share this topic:

• 78 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options