• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

No way id can be allowed to fuck this up. Not after Rage 2 fell short. This needs to hit hard. And so far it appears it will.

User is offline   Mack 

DOOM Eternal releases November 22.

This post has been edited by Mack: 09 June 2019 - 05:56 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

I didn't think it'd come out this year, but then again they have been saying it's the year of Doom. I noticed that the CE also contains the Doom 2016 and Eternal lossless soundtracks, which is great to hear (no pun intended).

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Lossless soundtrack! Yes!

User is offline   Mack 

E3 presentation.

E3 presentation gameplay.

Screenshots.

Check the decal on the chainsaw.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mack: 09 June 2019 - 10:42 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

I had a huge grin on my face when OG Cyberdemon popped up. :D

This post has been edited by Zor: 09 June 2019 - 10:41 PM

User is offline   Mack 

PC Gamer E3 footage (has commentary).

Stevivor E3 footage (no commentary).

• The Truth is in here

According to the German PC gaming mag GameStar, first testings revealed that the game is fun, but has jump'n'run sections that may be quite annoying for many players. You are on platforms where energy fields are draining your health, so you need to constantly jump, dash and grab ledges to prevent you from falling into a bottomless pit. Many journalists died a lot during these sections and agreed they didn't like it since it was very stressful. They hope the game won't have more of these sections.

Other than that, they say it's fun to disarm monsters, dash around like crazy or use the meat hook to reach all kinds of places.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 June 2019 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Those screenshots are very slick, with great detail throughout. Will hold off on getting a new GPU until later in the year so I can crank the settings for this.

User is offline   axl 

Looks vey promising. The only thing I did not quite like about the first one, was that after a while, level design was too much focused on going from one closed off arena to the next. So I hope they'll change that.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Think I'm getting too old for this shit. Everything's very bright, shiny and flashy. Those sections where you're climbing on walls and swinging from poles reminds me of Bioshock Infinite with its rail system. I mean, it looks like a fucked up amusement park more than a world I could actually see existing. That isn't a criticism per se, but I guess I just miss the time where games felt more like a "controlled explosion", rather than one perpetual blood 'n' guts splatterfest. I don't like the idea of always having to keep moving either. Feels like it's made for someone with a low attention span.

User is offline   ---- 

View Postthricecursed, on 10 June 2019 - 02:09 AM, said:

... more than a world I could actually see existing.

Yep, I mean ... demons from hell on Mars that then spawned hell on earth. How could they dare to make that unrealitic.

Finally a game for gamers who seek more in a game than slowly walking around with togglecrouch in CODesque manner and environments. A nice substuitute for strafejumping, boost-dodging, dodge-jumping etc ...

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 10 June 2019 - 02:16 AM

• banned!

View Postfuegerstef, on 10 June 2019 - 02:10 AM, said:

Yep, I mean ... demons from hell on Mars that then spawned hell on earth. How could they dare to make that unrealitic.

It looks too game-y and not consistent with what I'd imagine a demonic world to look like, with poles and clearly marked climbing walls everywhere. Again - I'm glad that shit like this gets to exist, but it's a bit too over the top for me, like a teenage heavy metal fantasy. The new abilities don't really help with that. IMO most games nowadays make you feel like a superhero. I prefer a bit more threat and a feeling of foreboding, like in Doom 64 or Quake 1. That's just me, though.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postthricecursed, on 10 June 2019 - 02:09 AM, said:

Think I'm getting too old for this shit. Everything's very bright, shiny and flashy. Those sections where you're climbing on walls and swinging from poles reminds me of Bioshock Infinite with its rail system. I mean, it looks like a fucked up amusement park more than a world I could actually see existing. That isn't a criticism per se, but I guess I just miss the time where games felt more like a "controlled explosion", rather than one perpetual blood 'n' guts splatterfest. I don't like the idea of always having to keep moving either. Feels like it's made for someone with a low attention span.

This also applies to your post after that one ^

They already went down this path in the first game, with very fast running, glory kills, and dependence on getting a never-ending stream of kills for ammo and health. Thus, the player is incentivized to keep moving quickly from enemy to enemy. The developers had to choose between: A ) leave it pretty much the same as Doom 2016, B ) reverse course and make it a less arcady and more foreboding style of shooter, or C ) continue down this fast-faced path which has been so successful, by adding new movement tech. Time will tell, but I think C was the correct choice for a sequel. There's no reason to make the same game again or reverse course and make a more traditional game.

User is offline   Mark 

Back in the old days of playing Doom I and II I didn't think twice about powerups and weapons glowing or floating in the air for only the player to grab. Now with that mechanic slapped in a game with so much more realism, it stands out as being very odd. Same thing with jump pads. But I guess there isn't a good alternative to those without destroying the fast pace of the game.

User is offline   MetHy 

Steam page is up

https://store.steamp...0/DOOM_Eternal/

Looks like there is already 2 SP DLCs announced then? Oh, and those "pre-order bonuses" look really boring.

Doom and Doom II have always been arcade oriented. The power-ups, jump pads and other poles follow that approach and I don't mind it one bit, that's what makes the game fun, it's a gameplay oriented game which is not afraid of being a game contrary to many other modern games.

Anyway I don't have much else to say except what's already been said. In Doom2016, the first half of the game, and specifically Foundry and Argent Facility, were the best exactly because it had a nice mix between old school level design and arena fights. Then, the later half was all arena for the most part. I hope they learnt their lesson and it will be more like the first half of '16.

And I also will save up money for a new GPU for this :D

• The Sarien Encounter

Looks great to me. Don't care. Bring it on.

View PostNightFright, on 09 June 2019 - 11:08 PM, said:

According to the German PC gaming mag GameStar, first testings revealed that the game is fun, but has jump'n'run sections that may be quite annoying for many players. You are on platforms where energy fields are draining your health, so you need to constantly jump, dash and grab ledges to prevent you from falling into a bottomless pit. Many journalists died a lot during these sections and agreed they didn't like it since it was very stressful. They hope the game won't have more of these sections.Other than that, they say it's fun to disarm monsters, dash around like crazy or use the meat hook to reach all kinds of places.

So it'll be great and fun, then. Right on.

Gotta give it to Id Software there: those outlandish vistas - especially the Cathedral-looking building set in a mountain forest area - are nothing short of spectacular! :D

However, I still do not dig the overly-serious edgy grimdark art direction and narration that clash heavily with the shlocky premise. And that fucking headache-inducing soundtrack, ugh... I just do not get it: minus the occasional cacophonic battle music, the music in Wolfenstein: TNO and TNC was pretty damn good. Is it because those games gave Mick Gordon more varied material to work it? :)

• banned!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 10 June 2019 - 06:43 AM, said:

Gotta give it to Id Software there: those outlandish vistas - especially the Cathedral-looking building set in a mountain forest area - are nothing short of spectacular! :D

However, I still do not dig the overly-serious edgy grimdark art direction and narration that clash heavily with the shlocky premise. And that fucking headache-inducing soundtrack, ugh... I just do not get it: minus the occasional cacophonic battle music, the music in Wolfenstein: TNO and TNC was pretty damn good. Is it because those games gave Mick Gordon more varied material to work it? :)

Mick Gordon came up with a brilliant version of one of my favorite songs ever:

But yeah, the presentation just isn't for me. Ditto on the music, it's got this very "this is what I would've thought was totally awesome at 13" vibe to it. Of course it's a positive trend overall that we have games like this to compete with all the CoD's, etc.

Honestly i'd rather have serious edgy grimdark over constant wink-winks (which 2016 did to a certain extent) and Marvel "quirky humor", which most games and movies seem to do nowadays.

This post has been edited by AlektorophobiA: 10 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I downvoted you, but I will admit that I prefer only half of the Doom 2016 soundtrack outside of the game. The other half is a bit too much on the electronic/industrial side for my preference. But dangit if the whole soundtrack doesn't get me pumped all throughout the game. Wouldn't trade it.

• The Truth is in here

Waiting until November, though. There'd better be something to pass the time till then. There's this game that is currently still called Ion Maiden. Could be something. If lawyers let us play it.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Here's a trailer for BD that just came out even though it's promoting the release from last month :) :

Final version of Extermination Day when? Replaying Doom under BD is just not doing it for me these days, I want the dedicated map pack. :D

So we're FINALLY getting an action figure of the DooM Slayer.....

User is offline   Malgon 

Was reading earlier and discovered that all physical copies will activate on the Bethesda Launcher rather than Steam. It kind of bugs me that they did that, but I guess I'll have to deal with it though as I've preordered the CE.

Fan trailer I threw together for Doom Eternal using Mama Said Knock You Out. I used Window Movie Maker, so the editing isn't the greatest I know, but I work with what I got. Let me know what you think.

User is offline   MetHy 

I replayed Sigil once more and found the few secrets I was missing.

To celebrate, here is a video of me kicking ass in E5M6 UV pistol start:

User is offline   Mark 

The last time I paid much attention to brutal doom was when it consisted mostly of added blood sprites splashing around. It sure has come a long way since then according to the video a few post above.

User is offline   razgriz 

Next to Ion Maiden, DOOM Eternal and Extermination Day mod are my most anticipated.

View PostThe Battlelord, on 19 May 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

Does someone downloaded this mod? Actually has been shut down because, guess what? Trademark infringments

Damn, i still have the old version but, i've deleted the Experimental version, waiting for the new one and is like if a Trollface came out instead.

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options