• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostPikaCommando, on 26 August 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

Clearly, Super 3D Noah's Ark is the edgiest game of them all for being the only one that's truly different from the rest and transcending societal expectations in a FPS.

Ever play Hurl?

View PostZaxx, on 26 August 2018 - 11:48 PM, said:

Now I'll have to find a mod for Super 3D Noah's Ark that nobody plays so I could say how awesome and unique it is... just as awesome and unique as I am for liking it! Afterwards I'll post a comment on how shit Brutal Doom is so I could be eligible for the Edgelord of the Year Award. :(

Edgelord or hipster? I can never get them straight...

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 August 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

Edgelord or hipster? I can never get them straight...

Edgelord hipster? :(

User is online   Mark 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 11 July 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

A cool looking viking-themed megawad for Doom:

I feel like it was a "bait and switch" scam. After looking at the cool title screen of the video I was expecting similar graphics in the game. As soon as the gameplay footage started I let out a sigh of disappointment.

User is offline   leilei 

It's really not too different from Hacx or other classic Doom TCs that similarly did the CG enemies stuff, i'm used to it and fine with that. They do look a bit thin and have some rough death animations though...

This post has been edited by leilei: 27 August 2018 - 01:29 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostMark., on 27 August 2018 - 06:03 AM, said:

I feel like it was a "bait and switch" scam. After looking at the cool title screen of the video I was expecting similar graphics in the game. As soon as the gameplay footage started I let out a sigh of disappointment.

Funny enough I kind felt the exact opposite...

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 27 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostZaxx, on 26 August 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

Nope, that's what "edgelords" like to say to show how different they are from the rest. :( That's why I love rockers who dress in all black too: they'd like to shout "look, I'm different!" at you but you're just like "but dude, you all look the fucking same, even a normie is unique compared to you".

Imagine actually being this retarded. Your Boomer-tier point doesn't even relate to what I said. To be in "poor taste" directly implies that you're not acting in a way considered acceptable by the average person. Doom has a long, controversial history of people trying to get it banned because it was considered to be in poor taste. Just because it has become acceptable over twenty years doesn't mean that it was not in poor taste in the opinion of the average person. You literally had people blaming Doom for Columbine.

Here's the hard truth: Doom is a mainstream commercial product and since the mainstream accepted it with open arms that means that it's part of the overall pop culture.

That took twenty years, ya fuckin' dummy.

It's an entertainment product you consume, nothing else, there is no unique identity that comes with it other than what the product itself contains.

No one brought up identity except for you, ya fuckin' dummy.

The same goes for every element of it: metal music, demons / satanism, plasma guns etc. Fuck, demons are old news since The Exorcist. :unsure:

The Exorcist was in poor taste for it's time. It literally had a teenage girl fucking herself with a crucifix. IN THE SEVENTIES.

You know who's offended by this in the real world? Absolutely nobody, what you see is just a few idiots from some miserable social echo chamber... meaning they are not part of the mainstream Doom is very much a part of. The 90s where the PC FPS was this small, niche thing compared to the overall media is long over, dude.

You don't understand the subculture. Doom is mainstream among hardcore gamers, but among plebs and casuals "oh you mean that shitty old game?" Get real dude. You live in the same world as the fuckin' Nintendo Labo.

Stuff like Postal 2 on the other hand are on the fringe of the media spectrum because they go further than Duke or Doom does to the point where it becomes "pop culturally unacceptable". But then again GTA is part of the pop culture now so who knows, maybe Postal is not that much out there anymore.

XPlay reviewed Postal 2 (in 2003.) Let me tell you why; Gaming is fringe culture. The industry would love to fully cuck the industry, but they never will. XPlay covers Postal 2 because it's relevant to what a real gamer would care about. Subcultures go through this all the time. It hits a vein and people try to make it mainstream, and it fails drastically most of the time. Punk is a great example. It began in the 70s, but as it became more popular they tried to make it mainstream. That's how you got New Wave. Then in the 90s record companies tried again. The "resurgence" failed. Now the same thing is happening with Heavy Metal. Tons of shitty mainstream pop metal bands out there. They will fail as the fad dies off. And so too will the gaming fad. And it will happen again. It just takes time. Remember when the Wii tried to make gaming mainstream? Everyone's grandma even had one. Grandma ain't playing games anymore though, and all that's left to show for it is the Wii's massive shovelware library no one cares about except Soylent drinkers.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostJimmy 4k, on 27 August 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Imagine actually being this retarded.

You know what, this is where I actually stopped reading. In your last post I ignored stuff like this because I was like "hey, the guy's rude but it's fine, maybe he had a bad day and that's all" but nope, every single post I get from you is some shit like this. Just by reading some of your posts I already found out that you're generally stupid as fuck and I'm fine with that, it's just that I don't like when stupidity meets with being an asshole too.

So Jimmy, please, just fuck off and we'll leave it at that because it's clear that you're some kind of antisocial idiot who can't handle an opinion that's different than his own. I despise it when I want to have a normal conversation and then some scumfuck bastard pops up saying shit like "wow, you're retarded".

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 28 August 2018 - 12:26 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Jimmy is like that, get over it.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostFox, on 28 August 2018 - 12:49 AM, said:

Jimmy is like that, get over it.

Well, that's not a good sign because when it comes to people like that I become a huge asshole if it starts to annoy me (and the comment I wrote last time was not that). Hell, there was this guy I met on Steam once who called everyone a retard and whatnot, I got bored so I lifted a picture from his Facebook profile, started using it as my Steam avatar and dropped random comments in the threads he visited. Thankfully he was stupid too so he got so freaked out that he basically became paranoid, he thought I was doxxing him, stalking him etc.... and I let the joke go for 3 weeks. And then there was that time where some neo-nazis started fucking with me... they don't have their Steam libraries anymore (Steam is a cesspit btw.). I take my social justice warrior status pretty seriously sometimes. :(

Jimmy, don't let me ruin your life. :unsure:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 28 August 2018 - 05:09 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostZaxx, on 28 August 2018 - 05:07 AM, said:

Well, that's not a good sign because when it comes to people like that I become a huge asshole if it starts to annoy me...

That's why he does it.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You're a fucking idiot, kid. I call you an idiot because you're an idiot. Stop being an idiot and I'll stop calling you an idiot, idiot.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostJimmy 4k, on 28 August 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

You're a fucking idiot, kid. I call you an idiot because you're an idiot. Stop being an idiot and I'll stop calling you an idiot, idiot.

You want a cookie?

User is online   Mark 

Now boys, lets take a moment to reflect on each other's feelings. And get back on topic.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: smalley.png

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd like to reflect with you, Mark. Call me. 555-867-5309
Posted Image

A trailer I made for Doom Eternal check it out:

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Oh my:

I really hope the full version of v21 comes out with Extermination Day. I've honestly been looking forward to EDay more than a lot of actual full games.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNinety-Six, on 31 August 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

I really hope the full version of v21 comes out with Extermination Day. I've honestly been looking forward to EDay more than a lot of actual full games.

Yeah, same here. It's a really-really good level pack and it's basically the only set of maps BD is really balanced for.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 31 August 2018 - 12:21 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Zero Master recently discovered the last official Doom 2 secret. John Romero has also been sharing this around:

Posted Image

Pretty cool stuff! :(

Edit: Just finished watching the Nightmare speedrun of Doom 2 and it is mindboggling the level of skill that is involved in doing it. The amount of effort and patience to work it all out is extensive to say the least. Awesome work imo. :unsure:

This post has been edited by Malgon: 31 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

User is online   Player Lin 

Oh, good'ol bad IWAD design. :(

I already just idclip to get that secret because I don't want spend a lot of time to make Pain Elemental follows me and trigger the secret.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 31 August 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Oh, good'ol bad IWAD design. :(

I already just idclip to get that secret because I don't want spend a lot of time to make Pain Elemental follows me and trigger the secret.

I just edited the map file and loaded it as a PWAD to get around it

User is offline   NNC 

After five(?) years of release, I've played through No Rest for the Living (not an official copy I confess).

This is a bloody damn great experience, something that I probably never got for this game ever since Knee Deep in the Dead. Levels are beautifully designed, enemy placement is great, layouts are complex, outside areas look outstanding (not like in Mt. Erebus for example), secrets are fun and there are many of them. I checked a YT secret summary video to find the yellow key in the first level (which helped for a valuable SSG), but other than this, I was pretty good at finding at least 50-60% of the secrets including the secret exit.

I played on HMP, and honestly, I'm not interested in playing this episode with UV difficulty, since it's already a challenging one with lots of enemies, particularly in the secret level (March of the Demons), the next one, Vivisection, and the imp hordes with the cyberfreak.

My favourite levels are probably the ones made by Russel Meakim, especially in the middle ones: the beautifully crafted Canyon of the Dead and Hell Mountain (both made a great mix of hellish textures with huge scaled canyons) and the secret lab level, March of the Demons, which IMHO should have been a regular mission, and Baron's Banquet would have been a better fit for secret (probably the weakest level, but still a fine one).

I think I will play this thing a couple of times more. Now I'm starting regret that I ignored Doom's PWAD projects other than the fine "The way ID did", I'm not sure which ones worth trying (I'm more interested in the style of KDITD, DTWID and NRFTL). I definitely dislike the style of Plutonia Experiment.

User is offline   Cage 

Introducing Slugger and the Cereborgs! Sounds totally like a band :( - Supplice TC for ZDoom/GZDoom

Posted Image

You can also check out the clip of the Minigun:

Posted Image
(Video 720p)

View PostNancsi, on 01 September 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

After five(?) years of release, I've played through No Rest for the Living (not an official copy I confess).

This is a bloody damn great experience, something that I probably never got for this game ever since Knee Deep in the Dead. Levels are beautifully designed, enemy placement is great, layouts are complex, outside areas look outstanding (not like in Mt. Erebus for example), secrets are fun and there are many of them. I checked a YT secret summary video to find the yellow key in the first level (which helped for a valuable SSG), but other than this, I was pretty good at finding at least 50-60% of the secrets including the secret exit.

I played on HMP, and honestly, I'm not interested in playing this episode with UV difficulty, since it's already a challenging one with lots of enemies, particularly in the secret level (March of the Demons), the next one, Vivisection, and the imp hordes with the cyberfreak.

My favourite levels are probably the ones made by Russel Meakim, especially in the middle ones: the beautifully crafted Canyon of the Dead and Hell Mountain (both made a great mix of hellish textures with huge scaled canyons) and the secret lab level, March of the Demons, which IMHO should have been a regular mission, and Baron's Banquet would have been a better fit for secret (probably the weakest level, but still a fine one).

I think I will play this thing a couple of times more. Now I'm starting regret that I ignored Doom's PWAD projects other than the fine "The way ID did", I'm not sure which ones worth trying (I'm more interested in the style of KDITD, DTWID and NRFTL). I definitely dislike the style of Plutonia Experiment.

I'm a big fan of NRFTL as well. Hell Mountain is probably one of my top favorite official maps ever released.

Yeah if you don't like Plutonia I'm sorry to say there isn't a whole lot for you PWAD-wise. Most everything is either Plutonia-inspired or Hell Revealed-inspired. Rare is the wad that goes for a more classic approach.

I personally adore Memento Mori II (and I think you'd really love its normal secret level), and it has some amazing music. Requiem is pretty good too. If you're adventurous you can try for the first Memento Mori. All three of these are classics that try to go for a more classic-themed approach.

Not sure if it was included but D2TWiD is a thing as well. There's also the Lost Episodes of the original DTWiD.

The first two-thirds of Jenesis is really good and aims for a more classic feeling, if you want something more recent (another one with a stellar soundtrack, to boot). Just stop playing once you get to MAP21. And maybe ignore the secret levels.

Phobos Revisited is an old WAD that goes for sort of a "remixed" KDitD style.

There are more but these are the ones that came to my mind first.

User is offline   Malgon 

NRFTL was quite fun (I only played it earlier in the year for the first time). I also really enjoyed Memento Mori, so I'll have to put the second one on the list. I'll have to try Requiem and the other ones mentioned along the classic inspired designs. So many to try out!

Edit: I did try out Doom 2 Dark World a couple of days ago and found it pretty neat (download link is in the first post). The quote below will explain it better:

These 11 maps are patterned after the first set of 11 levels in Doom II. The concept for this mapset was inspired by the Dark World levelsets from Super Meat Boy: levels with the same broad layout as the original they're based on, and with a familiar look, but with different aesthetics and a much higher challenge factor. The chief mapping guideline we followed was that if a player knew their way around the original map, then they should never get lost playing one of these. The goal is to provide longtime Doom II veterans with a fresh experience traversing maps which feel both instantly familiar and new and challenging at the same time.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 01 September 2018 - 08:29 PM

View PostMalgon, on 01 September 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

NRFTL was quite fun (I only played it earlier in the year for the first time). I also really enjoyed Memento Mori, so I'll have to put the second one on the list. I'll have to try Requiem and the other ones mentioned along the classic inspired designs. So many to try out!

Edit: I did try out Doom 2 Dark World a couple of days ago and found it pretty neat (download link is in the first post). The quote below will explain it better:

I can't believe I forgot about that one. I was in love with the concept from the beginning. I hope they take some of the reports in the thread into the account and continue with the project.

Man, it got nowhere near the attention it should have.

User is offline   NNC 

Thanks for the tips, might check them.

One more thing about NRFTL is that the leveldesigners didn't use hitscanners too often. Shotgun guy and Chaingunner are both very rare, they almost felt like obscure for the entire episode, which is a good thing honestly. The semi hitscanner (or technically I don't know, but they look so) Arch Viles are also rare thanks goodness, although even their small presence is extremely dangerous due to the big enemy count, and they can easily wake up even Barons of Hell.

My disdain for Plutonia mostly comes from their expansive use of hitscanners, especially Chaingunners, along with the non hitscanner, but equally unfair Revenants with their homing missiles in open areas. That, along with the subpar, tricky trappy leveldesign hurt that addon really badly.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

TNT Evilution was much more to my liking from what the Final Doom package had to offer, especially regarding difficulty. That and the community-made sequel Revilution from 2017 are a nice 64-level pack which should be well worth your time. Some good music in there, too.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 September 2018 - 04:54 AM

FINALLY, the BFG arrives!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Folks, keep this project here under observation. I haven't seen detailed Doom maps like that for quite some time. "Elementalism" is a name to remember for mid-2019, ladies and gentlemen.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 September 2018 - 01:09 PM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options