Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNinety-Six, on 26 November 2023 - 02:19 AM, said:

It's not that it doesn't mimic the vanilla gameplay design that's the problem. It's that it replaced that design with pure spite instead.

I recall playing some of Double Impact and I found it more boring and sloggy than spiteful tbh. The maps didn't feel really unfair or anything, but there is only so much you can do with Knee Deep in the Dead formula before it gets boring. I think I gave up around 5th map. Probably my least favorite among the Doom Unity addon wads.

From you description of M8, I just had to see a YT video to see how bad it is. Turns out that atleast the map is beatable with all kills, but seems like a big cat-and-mouse style map which I don't care about much. I would pass.

And speaking of Sigil 2. I can't help but feel slightly disappointed that it is once again for Doom 1 rather than Doom 2. That said, the levels from what I have seen so far look a slight step above those of Sigil, so I still look forward to it.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 26 November 2023 - 10:27 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Guys, out of the mapsets that you know, which are the least similar to either vanilla Doom/Doom II or the usual "community style" if there is one? I mean both stylistically and gameplay wise (no matter if there are any DeHackEd monster or weapon changes or not). Engine compatibility is not an issue, anything goes.

The first obvious ones are Lost Civilization, Lost Civilization 2: The Desolation and Eviternity.

Disjunction.

Hell On Earth Starter Pack for Brutal Doom or Vanilla with the improver.

Dark Encounters.

Much Cacowards, candidates included, differs. Even some stuff from DBP (Doomer Board Project), despite should suggest to be one of community style highest expressions.

Plenty single map projects are divergent, but I guess you want to exclude them from what are you searching for along with TCs.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Regarding Sigil 2:

I also thought until recently it was supposed to be a Doom 2 megawad. Then it got sorta downgraded to an episode, now it's even D1 only. At least that's the way the info was revealed to me, maybe that was clear much earlier than now, dunno.
On the other hand, a full D2 megawad with 32 maps still seems to be planned (now called "Hellion"), so it's not a total loss. I assume Romero's standalone release "One Humanity" was also intended for that megawad project, not Sigil 2.

Then again, all of this is going to be for free, so it's not really a complaint.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 November 2023 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostNightFright, on 30 November 2023 - 02:36 PM, said:

Regarding Sigil 2:

I also thought until recently it was supposed to be a Doom 2 megawad. Then it got sorta downgraded to an episode, now it's even D1 only. At least that's the way the info was revealed to me, maybe that was clear much earlier than now, dunno.
On the other hand, a full D2 megawad with 32 maps still seems to be planned (now called "Hellion"), so it's not a total loss. I assume Romero's standalone release "One Humanity" was also intended for that megawad project, not Sigil 2.

Then again, all of this is going to be for free, so it's not really a complaint.

As I understand it, and I might be wrong on this, but I think Hellion started as Sigil 2 which was for Doom 2, but then at some point Romero changed his mind, what formerly was Sigil 2 became Hellion and a new D1-centered Sigil 2 took its place.

View PostMrFlibble, on 30 November 2023 - 07:43 AM, said:

Guys, out of the mapsets that you know, which are the least similar to either vanilla Doom/Doom II or the usual "community style" if there is one? I mean both stylistically and gameplay wise (no matter if there are any DeHackEd monster or weapon changes or not). Engine compatibility is not an issue, anything goes.

Depends on what you define as non-vanilla-ish. If Double Impact feels different enough from vanilla to you, then there are plenty of wads out there that are different enough from vanilla out there which can even run on conservate (read non-ZDoom derived) source ports. There is no single "community style" out there.

That said, if you are looking for stuff that is most different to vanilla Doom, I would recommend to check out GZDoom stuff such as Ashes series (Ashes 2063, Dead Man Walking, Ashes Afterglow), Golden Souls Trilogy, Total Chaos, Pirate Doom. Alas, I am not very knowledgable about GZDoom territory stuff since I am mainly a vanilla/Boom mapsets enjoyer. You would probably get more and better recommendations on Doom forums like ZDoom or even Doomworld for this.

On the vanilla/Boom side, I would recommend to check out DBPs (Doomer Board Projects). They release mapsets every month and they are usually quite distinct in their themes (visuals, dehacked changes etc.). DBP37: AUGER;ZENITH is the most popular project (for good reason), but there are also other really good ones like DBP59: Zeppelin Armada, DBP26: The City of Damned Children. All of them (except DBP48, don't bother with that junk) are decent at the very least.

There is also The Given, which is limit-removed wad, but plays nothing like your ordinary Doom wad. There is no combat and and you have to solve puzzles to beat it. Another somewhat similar map is Grove. I am not a fan of it (or most of BPRDs wads), but it is quite different from the usual stuff.

If you are looking for stuff that's somewhat closer to Doom's gameplay but still different from vanilla Doom, I would recommend to check out this thread. Almost all of the top 30 wads on this list (that isn't named Hell Revealed I/II) are almost all worth checking out.

View PostNightFright, on 30 November 2023 - 02:36 PM, said:

Regarding Sigil 2:

I never know about this "Hellion" wad. At any rate, I don't mind more free content being made by Romero. Any free mods being released (be it by community or former devs) is well appreciated in my eyes.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostReaperAA, on 30 November 2023 - 10:09 PM, said:

All of them (except DBP48, don't bother with that junk) are decent at the very least.

I had to look up which one that is. Yeah, I remember there being drama surrounding it at the time.

BTW, I really like the Spaceballs DBP

View PostMrFlibble, on 30 November 2023 - 07:43 AM, said:

With gameplay mods, I guess it can be hard to nail down a specific community style. I thought that WildWeasel's mods were a lot higher quality than most other gameplay mods at the time, might no longer be true. His Police Brutality mod, or called something else, the one with Tekwar sprites, was pretty different from most other mods. Other wild shifts include Real Guns Hardcore, Final Doomer (IIRC) and that one mod based of Ao Oni. Only the last one of those changes the mapsets, so probably not exactly what you wanted.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostFantinaikos, on 30 November 2023 - 11:39 AM, said:

The first obvious ones are Lost Civilization, Lost Civilization 2: The Desolation and Eviternity.

Disjunction.

Hell On Earth Starter Pack for Brutal Doom or Vanilla with the improver.

Dark Encounters.

Much Cacowards, candidates included, differs. Even some stuff from DBP (Doomer Board Project), despite should suggest to be one of community style highest expressions.

Plenty single map projects are divergent, but I guess you want to exclude them from what are you searching for along with TCs.

Eviternity is the ultimate Doomw*rld style mod IMHO.

what is "community style" anyway? slaughter maps?

User is offline   NNC 

View PostPhredreeke, on 02 December 2023 - 10:36 AM, said:

Yep, and those flashy Unreal style wads with funky magenta, cyan colours that look interesting from the panoramic view, but become samey and generic from the player's perspective.

View PostPhredreeke, on 02 December 2023 - 10:36 AM, said:

View PostThe Watchtower, on 02 December 2023 - 11:32 PM, said:

Yep, and those flashy Unreal style wads with funky magenta, cyan colours that look interesting from the panoramic view, but become samey and generic from the player's perspective.

There is no single "community style" and anyone who say that doesn't really know.

There are plenty of regular non-slaughter, non-custom textures/monster wads being made. Regardless of what your preference is, there are plenty of wads that would cater to your style. You are better off asking this question in one of the Doom's community forums/discord servers.

Want something that is more closer to vanilla Doom, there are wads such as Doom Zero, Anomaly Report, TNT and Plutonia sequel wads (Plutonia 2/ PRCP/ Revilution/ Devilution), Good Morning Phobos, JPCP, The Darkening E1 and E2, Memento Mori 1/2, Requiem, Scythe X, BTSX etc etc.

And to Watchtower, there are plenty of wads that look great in-game. Stop with this misinformaton.

A regroup of the scattered "Quality of Life Patches" in a less messy alphabetical order. They range from simple corrections in texts, to various ports compatibility, to adding widescreen assets, to the possibility of playing a saga episodically (obviously you have to download the wads), to full-fledged map fixing and restoration of cutted contents. Each have a text file that explain the patch effects:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Lunick: 04 December 2023 - 06:09 PM
Reason for edit: Mod Edit: Put the long list under a spoiler

Depends on what you define as non-vanilla-ish. If Double Impact feels different enough from vanilla to you, then there are plenty of wads out there that are different enough from vanilla out there which can even run on conservate (read non-ZDoom derived) source ports. There is no single "community style" out there.

Apologies for the belated reply.

I guess I needed to be a bit more specific. I have this idea if it would be possible to create levels with stock textures and monsters and no gameplay tweaks that would be different enough to feel like a completely new game. Some time ago I imagined something that would use a) more realistically designed levels (rooms and areas that have obvious purpose, wall switches to open doors like in HacX, stuff like that) and b) more sparse enemy encounters but also less ammo and supplies for the player. E.g. if you're stuck with only the pistol and limited bullets, even an encounter with two or three imps may become problematic and more intense, depending on the room layout. So I was imagining something like a more realistic techbase with rooms like armoury, med bay, cantina and offices, and monster encounters spread over it, but the player has to conserve resources a lot. I think this was somewhat close to the original concept of Doom actually, but the end result leans more towards run and gun style of play. Unfortunately I have zero mapping skill and mot really any spare time to try learning it ATM, so I cannot experiment with this myself.

On the other hand, there are WADs that do feel kind of like a separate game, but this is also achieved by using non-stock textures, modified enemy behaviours and weapons, and so on. However, not all such WADs really feel like a different game, some are just obviously map packs that transfer the same Doom gameplay into a new setting/decorations.

Concerning the "community style", I understand that this is very generalised, but from the stuff that I played, there seems to be a lot of maps that do two things:
  • you explore the map and suddenly you're surrounded by enemies by the way of various traps, monster closets and teleports
  • you enter a large arena-like space with various hazards and supplies, which is then flooded with monsters, sometimes in waves, and you run around dodging their attacks and trying to take them all out

Both of these features remind me of Serious Sam, and while they must be something that tests the seasoned Doom player's skills, it's generally not my cup of tea in FPS games.

That said, if you are looking for stuff that is most different to vanilla Doom, I would recommend to check out GZDoom stuff such as Ashes series (Ashes 2063, Dead Man Walking, Ashes Afterglow), Golden Souls Trilogy, Total Chaos, Pirate Doom. Alas, I am not very knowledgable about GZDoom territory stuff since I am mainly a vanilla/Boom mapsets enjoyer. You would probably get more and better recommendations on Doom forums like ZDoom or even Doomworld for this.

I'm not registered at the ZDoom boards but I check them out once in a while for interesting stuff. Ashes are on my radar for sure, I guess I should check out Pirate Doom and Avactor sometime as well.

But, GZDoom is very, very advanced compared to vanilla Doom. At this point, I'm curious about what could be done within these more strict limitations of vanilla, limit-removing or at most Boom-compatible stuff.

I'm very impressed by REKKR, for example. This one very cleverly uses DeHackEd to create a new game that is probably as different from Doom as Heretic differs from Doom. But, this is a complete TC with nothing left of the art, premise or plot of the original game. I wonder if something as different could be created without completely replacing the game assets.

HacX also impressed me when I fist played it, because it clearly tries to be more Duke Nukem-ish while staying within Doom's limits. Again, clever DeHackEd work here. I know the same devs created STRAIN, which is a partial conversion, but I haven't played far enough into it to really have formed an opinion. Maybe I should revisit it.

I remember trying Phobos: Anomaly Reborn, which is Boom-compatible (IIRC) and felt different enough I guess. Again, it was some time ago and I did not play very far into it.

On the vanilla/Boom side, I would recommend to check out DBPs (Doomer Board Projects). They release mapsets every month and they are usually quite distinct in their themes (visuals, dehacked changes etc.). DBP37: AUGER;ZENITH is the most popular project (for good reason), but there are also other really good ones like DBP59: Zeppelin Armada, DBP26: The City of Damned Children. All of them (except DBP48, don't bother with that junk) are decent at the very least.

Thanks, I should try this out. I have never visited that forum, I believe, but I heard about Auger;Zenith, of course.

There is also The Given, which is limit-removed wad, but plays nothing like your ordinary Doom wad. There is no combat and and you have to solve puzzles to beat it. Another somewhat similar map is Grove. I am not a fan of it (or most of BPRDs wads), but it is quite different from the usual stuff.

That sounds interesting as well.

Avactor is definitely not for you if you hate being swarmed by monsters

View PostPhredreeke, on 06 December 2023 - 09:40 AM, said:

Avactor is definitely not for you if you hate being swarmed by monsters

Yeah, I watched the trailer (it was long ago BTW). But the scenery seems beautiful.

View PostMrFlibble, on 06 December 2023 - 09:21 AM, said:

HacX also impressed me when I fist played it ... I know the same devs created STRAIN, which is a partial conversion, but I haven't played far enough into it to really have formed an opinion. Maybe I should revisit it.

Wait what? This is news to me.

I can vouch for STRAIN if you're thinking of trying it out again. It might not be the prettiest wad out there, but it was playtested vigorously and it shows. Their whole mission statement was to try and feel sort of like a Doom 3 (before the real Doom 3) which is why the monsters and weapons got so many changes.

If you want a different flavor of Doom, STRAIN is a great achiever of that. Admittedly a bit of a slow burn at first, but once you reach the lunar shuttle and beyond, the game really starts to take off (pun not intended).

There's also Return to Daro, a mini-mod for STRAIN that has four new levels. Despite being much more modern, it actually plays pretty fair for the most part too.

I remember trying Phobos: Anomaly Reborn, which is Boom-compatible (IIRC) and felt different enough I guess. Again, it was some time ago and I did not play very far into it.

Thanks, I should try this out. I have never visited that forum, I believe, but I heard about Auger;Zenith, of course.

a;z is pretty good too. Stock monsters but a unique atmosphere and aesthetic.

You should also check out Zeppelin Armada, by the same people. It's a steampunk theme this time, but there are a lot of added bells and whistles to this one. Cutscenes and an opening level that plays like a mini-RPG with NPCs, dialogue, a trading sequence, and a secret SSG.

All still running on a limit-removing engine, btw.

Just watch out for that final level. It's not very nice.

Actually there are several DBPs that act like total or partial conversions, while still targeting limit-removing ports.

Both of these features remind me of Serious Sam, and while they must be something that tests the seasoned Doom player's skills, it's generally not my cup of tea in FPS games.

off-topic, but:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 09 December 2023 - 02:42 PM

• The Truth is in here

Sigil 2 is out. As someone who ordered the boxed edition, I had the d/l link in my mailbox already shortly after midnight. Let the madness begin. Again.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 December 2023 - 01:48 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

Didn't realise the (first) email came through this morning (11ish hours ago), so have now downloaded and just finished playing through the first level. Very tight on the health and requires a much slower pace on UV, but managed to find all the secrets bringing me up to full health and armour, so I'm guessing secrets will be necessary to staying at higher levels of healthiness. Definitely plays similarly to Sigil so far in style. I am enjoying it though, and really like the visual design of it, and also liking the Thorr soundtrack. Will be interested to see what the boxed edition physically looks like when it arrives.

Ps. Happy 30th birthday Doom!

Edit: To coincide with the birthday celebrations, the 2023 Cacowards are now up!

This post has been edited by Malgon: 10 December 2023 - 02:52 AM

• The Truth is in here

My plans are to play it on HMP with MIDI music first, in a vanilla-like port like Crispy or Woof. What I appreciate in general is that you get the d/l option so you 1) don't have to wait and 2) are not forced to open the box later if you want to keep it in mint condition as a collector's item.

And yeah, Romero likes the player to hunt for secrets and usually puts rewarding stuff there. Nice for HMP or lower, pretty vital for UV+.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 December 2023 - 03:56 AM

User is offline   NNC 

I downloaded it, can't believe it's 30 years already. Doom was released two days before Hungary's first democratic prime minister (József Antall) died, and a few months before Ayrton Senna died in Imola 1994. Lot of stuff happened since then, but time flies so fast really.

I played E6M1, which is kinda bitch at some points (I'm playing HMP, don't care about UV now), including the start, but a well designed level. The sky bug is reported, but it's not a game breaker. The sky crusher is silly though.
E6M2 is an economic map, really not much to talk about, at least it's easier with less catwalk.
I'm on E6M3, and this is frustrating. I restarted the map like 20 times already, it's way too nonlinear, and too many lost souls and cacodemons hover around at the start and very hard to memorize the teleport locations. I didn't see the purpose of the visor, and the big trench around the BFG room is hideous. Other than that, it's a good map, but playing blind is nightmarish. It's also mandatory to grab the 30 second door secret before doing anything else.

I'm now searching for the secret exit, because I don't want to move forward without seeing it. I remember John building it, and it was a very well designed techbase level. Any help is welcome. :)

• The Truth is in here

There's apparently a sky texture in Sigil 2 which uses non-standard dimensions and is therefore getting distorted/cut in source ports. Someone over at Doomworld made a temporary fix:

https://www.doomworl...um/post/2743625

It can be expected that this is going to be addressed in a future update which might happen (like for the first part) if enough player feedback is accumulating.

User is offline   NNC 

I have watched some UV videos, and I don't think I'll ever touch that skill setting for S2. In the original Sigil I wished the E5M5 second cyber, and especially the E5M6 cyber in the maze appeared in HMP skill, then the whole HMP experience would have been perfectly enough for me. This time I don't think the lower skill setting is missing anything anywhere.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 10 December 2023 - 09:11 AM

Reminder that today John Romero and John Carmack will have a DOOM Deathmatch at 20:00 8PM on Romero Twitch channel.

EDIT: 21:00 actually. So now.

Oh, also Cacowards 2023 is out.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 10 December 2023 - 12:05 PM

I'm going to wait for the inevitable bug fix patches before playing.

• The Truth is in here

Almost forgot: Crispy won't be able to run Sigil 2 before they either add support for it on the port side or a compat release is made (shifting it from the ep.6 slot to a vanilla-friendly one). For now, your best bet seems to be Woof or maybe PrBoom+ if you want to play it "rough".

User is offline   NNC 

Still haven't finish it, but now more or less found out the stuff in the first five maps (M1-M4 and M9). Overall, great quality wad, but not necessarily without some issues.

The sky crusher in M1 looks bad and I hope Romero will fix that. In fact, that whole sequence beyond the exit with the cyber/crusher/last secret feels unnecessary to me. In HMP it's not even worth your time to reenter the starting area and going around again with 2 meaningless secrets and nothing to crush (maybe John could have added some HMP Barons here). You also have to backtrack the whole map again. Also the 30 second secret here is kinda broken, it needs too much compromise to reach it in time. Instead John should have built one between the first and the second sigils (with the staircase). Other than these (mostly nuances beyond the exit area), I think it's a great map.

M2 looks like meh... a pretty mediocre level, probably the weakest in the set. At least it has a great chill music (Sigil 1's best track was also on it's worst level... a pattern?), and it plays well without mean shenanigans.

M3 is great, but John should have used more recognisable landmarks in the 4 teleports to not confuse the player. One should have a candelabrum, other should have a lamp, etc. The big pit around the BFG room is poor though, also the pit around the catwalk to the ending. It's enfair to fall in these randomly, so trial and error like. At least he should have built some escape routes in them.

As for the secret exit, it's kinda unacceptable to have a mandatory rocketjump to reach it. In fact, it ends so abruptly. At least he should have built another secret exit in the crater. Something that shows you're not falling into a random pit.

M9 is also great, probably my favourite level. I'm not sure if anyone found it, but the "Training field" area is a pretty large optional place that looks KDITD more than anything I can remember. Even the design there is more simple, yet, I felt I'm back in 1994 again. Anyway, once again, the starting area is too crowded to my liking, and the AmpVisor is rather meaningless.

M4 is also great, but the fast crusher maze can go wrong as the crusher sequences feel random and you can't evade mandatory harm. Also the 30 second secret is dick, you need to avoid lots to get that berserk pack. Another secret needs lava walking too. But like M3 and M9, M4 is a visual wonder, and if you understand the map layout, it becomes fun to play.

I also played M5 and M6, and started M7 (I got stuck in some annoying elevator section), but want to see all secrets and pistolstart the whole thing before making comments. They looked impressive, although M7 had some idle moments.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 11 December 2023 - 04:41 PM

• The Truth is in here

At least I got confirmation from Flambeau that Sigil II's secret exit is an hommage to Mt Erebus (E6M3 = E3M6). But agreed, it should rather give you a visible clue instead of just crossing a trigger line without any idea whether something might happen. On the other hand, placing a button inside that pit could probably be spotted from outside, which might not be what Romero wanted. Nevertheless, I believe this might be one of the things addressed in an update.

User is offline   Malgon 

Just finished playing through all the levels now, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it. Really took my time playing and hunting for secrets (found most every level), but missed the secret level, and also played at a slow pace trying to keep my health and armour up. Definitely found the first couple of levels really tight with health and armour, but as it went on it became more generous, and due to having so much ammo as well, it got down to a fairly manageable level to the point where there were untouched Soul Spheres in some of the secrets.

I really dug the visual design with the new blue sky texture and the contrasting red, and also the signature cracks throughout the environments, and thought the layouts were interesting and kept you on your toes with the way monster placement and traps were set up. The music went well with the levels too and didn't get old even when exploring for long periods. My favourite level was E6M6 as it had a nice flow to it and looked great.

Not sure what the consensus is on whether people prefer Sigil or Sigil II, but maybe because I knew what to expect from Sigil, I got more into the groove this time around and had a more fun experience playing overall. I might have to give Sigil a replay to see if I gain more appreciation for it.

Meanwhile I put together a stand-alone DOS version of Harmony Compatible, which is a PWAD edition of Harmony, a Doom engine game/TC from 2009:

This port is based on gerwin's MBF 2.04, but uses ludicrous_peridot's Allegro library modifications to greatly improve OPL3 music quality. The game can now play secondary MIDI instruments, but only when the tracks are in the MUS format. To further improve OPL music quality, this version auto-loads DMXOPL v1.11 at startup instead of the built-in GENMIDI lump that comes from Freedoom.

The other changes are mostly cosmetic, I have restored the original blue font for HUD messages and menus from the 2009 release, and added proper lumps for MBF extended menus:
Posted Image
I also fixed the colours on the minimized MBF HUD (Harmony uses a custom palette with a completely different order of colour ranges, so I had to "rewire" them to display the intended colours):
Posted Image
A selection of in-game screenshots can be found here.

Share this topic:

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options