• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   NNC 

Another trannie drama?

Btw. Marisa Kirisame was the central character of the Touhou world. I hate the stupid anime fighting stuff, but loved the game New Super Marisa Land. First proper 2D Mario game since SMW and had an impessive scale of variety, powerups, secrets... try it today.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 20 April 2023 - 08:17 PM, said:

Btw. Marisa Kirisame was the central character of the Touhou world

secondmost-central character*

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNinety-Six, on 20 April 2023 - 08:42 PM, said:

secondmost-central character*

From my limited understanding, Marisa lived in Forest of Magic (it was world 1 in NSML) and Reimu Hakurei lived in Hakurei Shrine (which was world 8 in NSML) near the world border or whatever. Don't ask my specific stuff, I found it all confusing and silly.

User is offline   ck3D 

I only found out about Touhou recently after someone compared the projectile hell of some Blast Radius moments to it in a review and I fell in love with the concept and series history. I really want to try the 'real' series sometime, it's just one guy doing everything himself since the start (always starting with the music) and since he's completely open to fan works, those inundate the game market and can overshadow the original genius. But the real series parallel pretty much everything I loved about Cuphead, in this day and age if I'm going to devote any time to playing a video game it's got to be an author's game for me to retain any sort of focus, and those two phenomenons qualify or at least rub my sweet spot.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 21 April 2023 - 05:22 AM

I feel sorry for people trying to write satire about the modern world. It's really hard to come up with something more absurd than "a cabal of internet moderators have a secret chat room called Fun Police where they keep track of people they don't like bad actors across the communities of old video games, and the whole thing only got exposed because one of the key users is probably a pedophile." Then again it wasn't too long ago when the CIA tried to kill Castro with an exploding cigar...

That said, I kind of feel like even if we didn't explicitly know that they had an absurdly named secret chatroom, we kind of knew they already did most of this. It was fairly obvious that moderators on these forums shared information like this between them, whether the information was exchanged people talking behind the scenes or this chatroom, it didn't really matter. Not even an open secret, just open. Further, internet communities with a large number of transexuals and especially anime* loving transexuals tend to always result in some kind of grooming scandal like this. There has got to be some kind of correlation at this point, not just a casual relationship. My own bias as someone who doesn't really care for the platform, and I know there are probably more not creepy users of the platform, but I swear every time I hear about Discord it's always related to some transexual anime grooming scandal of this nature.
*I don't care if it's a series of bullet hell games, it's anime.

That said I don't really think this is going to effect the stuff people actually make too much. At worst, we'll see some kind of exodus, but that's doubtful. Perhaps there'll be less regular maps, but I think things will continue unchanged. It's worth pointing out that at this point a lot of people still make things for the game on other sites, and the engine itself has become quite popular outside of the Doom community itself. I see a ton of commercial games using the engine these days that it seems like nobody in the community has much interaction with, if at all.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 21 April 2023 - 02:25 AM, said:

From my limited understanding, Marisa lived in Forest of Magic (it was world 1 in NSML) and Reimu Hakurei lived in Hakurei Shrine (which was world 8 in NSML) near the world border or whatever. Don't ask my specific stuff, I found it all confusing and silly.

That was a fangame, just in case you weren't aware. Marisa tends to be more popular than Reimu for whatever reason.

Yeah the fangaming scene for the series is nuts. I also strongly recommend Megamari if you like Megaman.

View Postck3D, on 21 April 2023 - 05:18 AM, said:

I only found out about Touhou recently after someone compared the projectile hell of some Blast Radius moments to it in a review and I fell in love with the concept and series history.

Yeah there were quite a few moments that reminded me of it. Usually when about 3 dozen liztroopers spawned in multiple squads off in the distance and began firing at you. My expertise in bullet hell games certainly came in handy numerous times.

But the real series parallel pretty much everything I loved about Cuphead, in this day and age if I'm going to devote any time to playing a video game it's got to be an author's game for me to retain any sort of focus, and those two phenomenons qualify or at least rub my sweet spot.

I dunno if it is quite the same thing (but dev teams were smaller in the 90s, and Treasure is legendary for having almost a hivemind when it comes to the clarity of vision for their games), but Cuphead is basically the sequel to Gunstar Heroes we never got. If you liked Cuphead, you might like GH. CH borrows heavily from that game (even down to having a "game board" that has random boss fights in it)

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 21 April 2023 - 11:09 AM

User is offline   NNC 

I only found out about Touhou recently after someone compared the projectile hell of some Blast Radius moments to it in a review and I fell in love with the concept and series history. I really want to try the 'real' series sometime, it's just one guy doing everything himself since the start (always starting with the music) and since he's completely open to fan works, those inundate the game market and can overshadow the original genius. But the real series parallel pretty much everything I loved about Cuphead, in this day and age if I'm going to devote any time to playing a video game it's got to be an author's game for me to retain any sort of focus, and those two phenomenons qualify or at least rub my sweet spot.

Actually BR reminded me of Touhou games as well, and even wanted to tell you that, but someone else did that instead. :D

Especially Map2 with the liztroop clouds. That was the most Touhou moment in Duke's history (although it's still nothing compared to Doom's bullet hell slaughterfests).

User is offline   jkas789 

Incredibly, the situation has gotten worse. Pillowblaster is getting panned on the threads for being "transphobic" while Graff just posted this bit of wisdom:

Attached Image: Screenshot_20230422_103102.png

I literally have no words. People are obviously shitting on Graff atm and Cali came in to try and clutch the shitstorm.

This whole thread about changes and how Cali is totally a good boy and what not has been IMO a disaster and it astounds me that people are still deepthroating the boots of the zdoom admins/moderators. What thrashfire of a forum. The worse thing is that people are migrating to Doomworld, as if that forum is any better than zdoom.

Fucking zdoom can not die fast enough. And if God is good Doomworld will die as well.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjkas789, on 22 April 2023 - 09:36 AM, said:

The worse thing is that people are migrating to Doomworld, as if that forum is any better than zdoom.

If you really like cola, and Coke is in trouble, you're probably gonna try Pepsi. You aren't gonna start drinking Orange Crush or Dr Pepper.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I am in the Spotlight Team over there, but I have never made a single contribution as a member of it. Maybe it was for the better.

As far as I am concerned, I'll stay out of this. It is sad to see how the whole forum and community is taking itself apart, though. A shame, really.

User is offline   NNC 

These woke guys are the reason we have the likes of Putin, Trump, Orban, Erdogan, Bolsonaro, etc. Without them, these people would be nowhere.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Watchtower, on 22 April 2023 - 11:50 PM, said:

These woke guys are the reason we have the likes of Putin, Trump, Orban, Erdogan, Bolsonaro, etc. Without them, these people would be nowhere.

Hot political takes or really any political takes that aren't directly related to Doom/Doom community don't belong in this thread. Try the general discussion section.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostDanukem, on 23 April 2023 - 01:05 AM, said:

Hot political takes or really any political takes that aren't directly related to Doom/Doom community don't belong in this thread. Try the general discussion section.

This is the main issue with the Doom community though. I've read a few pages of that shitshow (and got bored after half an hour of wasting my life to that), and found out mods use titles as "preferred pronoun: she/her". And they always talk about "safe place". Fuck, I'm not going on the internet to be safe from the bogey man, just want to have fun with a 30 year old game. This is the main issue, and it's pretty much community related. But OK, I respect you enough to quit this nonsense.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Your previous post was a generic political take that had no obvious relevance to Doom. No one is being told they can't talk about what is going on in the Doom community, I'm just trying to keep threads from being derailed.

User is online   Phredreeke 

No he has a point, don't you remember how pedo tranny doomers in 1999 lead to Putin coming into power?

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 23 April 2023 - 07:46 AM

View Postjkas789, on 22 April 2023 - 09:36 AM, said:

The worse thing is that people are migrating to Doomworld, as if that forum is any better than zdoom.

Most of them have double-dipped accounts anyway, I think.

No, DW is not any better, but by the same token that means their migration also means very little. It's like two ponds right next to each other, with a strip of land between them so sunken it becomes very difficult to tell where one pond stops and the other begins.

I miss the old days when Doom communities actively competed against each other. I feel like something died when that happened. Not sure what it is but something did.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View Postjkas789, on 23 April 2023 - 07:11 PM, said:

I miss the old days when Doom communities actively competed against each other. I feel like something died when that happened. Not sure what it is but something did.

If by competing, you mean competing to make more Doom content, then yes I would gladly like to see more of that. But if you mean infighting, then heck no. Already seen it.

Sadly (and to the delight of some you guys here), there may still be animosities among different Doom communities. Like even between DW and ZDF staff, there have been bitter moments (one example leading to Rachel getting banned in DW, although not related to this current issue as that was around 3 years ago).

And then there is Doomer Boards, whose members naturally don't get along with DW/ZDF as roughly half of their members are those that either got banned from those places or left on their own accord after being dissatisfied.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 23 April 2023 - 11:04 PM

View PostReaperAA, on 23 April 2023 - 11:02 PM, said:

Sadly (and to the delight of some you guys here)

Like even between DW and ZDF staff, there have been bitter moments

Honestly this is one of the reasons why I hate the DW "family" (DW, ZDF, and i forget the name of Zandronum's home) of sites. Lots of high school clique-esque squabbling that goes up to the top, unless they feel like being assholes to someone in particular, then they will all get along.

User is offline   ck3D 

Upvoted Reaper AA for their use of the term 'infighting'.

View Postck3D, on 24 April 2023 - 01:53 PM, said:

Upvoted Reaper AA for their use of the term 'infighting'.

MonsterStaff infighting is now a part of Doom :P

View PostReaperAA, on 23 April 2023 - 11:02 PM, said:

If by competing, you mean competing to make more Doom content, then yes I would gladly like to see more of that.

Yes.

User is offline   ck3D 

Probably an old story I personally was unfamiliar with until recently, but the one of the DooM 3DO port is pretty insane (mostly covered in the first twenty minutes):

This post has been edited by ck3D: 09 May 2023 - 03:51 AM

Base Ganymede was added to the official add-ons list.

Honestly, I knew this one was coming. As far as Doom 1 mods go, the only one more revered is DTWiD. I personally don't have a strong opinion on it but I'm just surprised it took this long.

I really do wonder what the criteria to become an official add-on is. I mean we obviously are well aware of the copyright stuff and wanting to get permission from everyone involved, as well as it needing to be vanilla or limit-remomving. But I wonder what the non-technical criteria for add-ons are. There are hundreds of vanilla-compatible or limit-removing wads made by people who are still around, but only a select few get added officially.

View PostNinety-Six, on 10 May 2023 - 08:27 PM, said:

I really do wonder what the criteria to become an official add-on is. I mean we obviously are well aware of the copyright stuff and wanting to get permission from everyone involved, as well as it needing to be vanilla or limit-removing. But I wonder what the non-technical criteria for add-ons are. There are hundreds of vanilla-compatible or limit-removing wads made by people who are still around, but only a select few get added officially.

I believe that whoever folks at id are maintaining the Doom Unity port would first have to notice such a wad AND then also be able to get in contact with the author(s) of said wad to have it be added in the port.

I also assume there might be a few other factors like the general quality of wad (like I doubt they would want to add very amateur looking wad) or a wad that might be "impossible" (or neat impossible) to beat on a controller. Think Scythe's Map28, which has mandatory strafe running, which would be HELL to do on a controller. Also they might avoid too hard wads like Sunlust (assuming it didn't require Boom) or above difficulty for similar reasons.

View PostReaperAA, on 12 May 2023 - 02:52 AM, said:

I believe that whoever folks at id are maintaining the Doom Unity port would first have to notice such a wad

Isn't one of them an active poster on DW? The one with the Duke 2 avatar?

View PostReaperAA, on 12 May 2023 - 02:52 AM, said:

I also assume there might be a few other factors like the general quality of wad

Well obviously, but that's what I'm getting at. I'm wondering exactly what standards they measure wads by, outside of technical stuff. I mean I know they will probably never tell us to avoid the unity doom equivalent of oscar-baiting, but curious I remain.

I suppose to put it another way, I'm curious what wads out there would have made it in were it not for uncontactable/deceased personnel, copyrighted content, and higher port requirements.

View PostNinety-Six, on 15 May 2023 - 09:12 AM, said:

Isn't one of them an active poster on DW? The one with the Duke 2 avatar?

Edward850? He works for Nightdive and while Nightdive is involved with Quake remaster, they don't have anything to do with Doom Unity. There is a guy on DW named sponge, who works at id software and is involved with the Doom Unity port. He the only one I am aware of who work on it and has a DW account afaik.

View PostNinety-Six, on 15 May 2023 - 09:12 AM, said:

I suppose to put it another way, I'm curious what wads out there would have made it in were it not for uncontactable/deceased personnel, copyrighted content, and higher port requirements.

Obviously I am not a part of id software, so I can only make guesses here. I am pretty sure the TWID wads would be a very safe bet (given their popularity and that many of the authors were also part of BTSX team). As would be the recently released KDIKDIZD (remake of KDIZD in vanilla Doom exe).

Other, fairly safe bets would be stuff like Eviternity, Vanguard, Lunatic, Overboard, TNT and Plutonia sequels (Revilution, Devilution, Plutonia 2, PRCP), Lost Civilization, JPCP, DBP37: Auger Zenith etc. as they seem generally well regarded and wouldn't be too hard for controller players. Stuff like Going Down, Valiant, Ancient Aliens, Heartland, Struggle: Antaresian Legacy, Alien Vendetta etc. are somewhat harder, but could've probably still made it.

Stuff like Scythe 2, Speed of Doom, Resurgence and other similar difficulty wads are where things would get really hard for console players and thus the chance of them getting there would be hard.

As for stuff like Sunlust, Sunder and the likes? Yeah, those would not play well on controllers I feel. Those would have a very slim chance I reckon.

As for older stuff from 90s or early 00s. I reckon only the most popular wads of that era could've made the cut... perhaps? IDK? I mean stuff like Memento Mori 1/2, Requiem, Eternal Doom, Perdition's Gate etc. might've made it? Hell Revealed 1 would be a tougher sell, as it hasn't aged well, but it is still an important milestone. HR2 has become very infamous over the years though and would've likely not made the cut. Community Chest 1 (CC1) wouldn't likely have made the cut either.

Now, coming to more exotic/GZDoom stuff. The Ashes series (Ashes 2063, Dead Man Walking, Ashes Afterglow) is arguably is most well acclaimed GZDoom mod in recent times and I have no doubt those would've made it had it not been for GZDoom requirement and copyrighted content. The Golden Souls Trilogy is also well received, so that would also have made it. Skulldash (from Eviternity's author) is another fantastic GZDoom mod. I can't say much beyond that as I am not as well versed with GZDoom mods.

View PostReaperAA, on 15 May 2023 - 10:46 PM, said:

HR2 has become very infamous over the years though and would've likely not made the cut.

For its difficulty, or something else?

The recent Solar Struggle is a wad I think would have had a good shot of making it in were it not for the texture pack. And given some of the oddball choices for wads like Revolution or Doom Zero (I adore Doom Zero but its selection was so out-of-left-field and not one I would have ever thought they'd pick), I feel like Interception might have made it in too.

View PostNinety-Six, on 16 May 2023 - 11:44 PM, said:

For its difficulty, or something else?

Difficulty is one reason. But it also because of its very amateurish design. Boring layouts, grindy fights, bad texturing, overuse of faux 3D bridges (which were popular in early 00s, but have fallen out of flavor due to them being janky) etc.

Tried to play myhouse. After about 20 minutes (15 of which was spent fighting with GZDoom's display settings), my computer hard-locked with a nasty crash noise.

i hate gzdoom so much

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options