Duke4.net Forums: Doom corner - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 132 Pages +
  • « First
  • 128
  • 129
  • 130
  • 131
  • 132
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

#3871

The fire kinda clashes stylistically with the rest of the intermission image in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 01 November 2020 - 02:36 AM

0

User is offline   Nash 

#3872

View PostDoom64hunter, on 01 November 2020 - 02:36 AM, said:

The fire kinda clashes stylistically with the rest of the intermission image in my opinion.


That's fair, I can take a look at improving it. The graphics are an ongoing work. :)

What I was going for here (or tried to, anyway) was that this was a piece of land floating in hell. Partially inspired by the floating hell maps in Doom 2016.

This post has been edited by Nash: 01 November 2020 - 03:13 AM

2

User is online   NightFright 

  • The Truth is in here

#3873

I had been waiting for widescreen support since years and I am glad it's finally in. A lot of effort went into this and it looks really good. Maybe it could have happened a bit earlier so the Unity port wouldn't steal the show, but it's great that Nash kept doing his thing and avoided just copying over assets that had already been provided.

Another important change in GZD 4.5 is the simplified options menu which should help anyone who isn't into fine-tuning. You can still get to the "hidden" tweaks with an extra click, which is just fine for me. This was overdue since GZD really used to spam you with options at first.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 November 2020 - 05:37 AM

0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#3874

View PostNash, on 01 November 2020 - 03:10 AM, said:

That's fair, I can take a look at improving it. The graphics are an ongoing work. :)

What I was going for here (or tried to, anyway) was that this was a piece of land floating in hell. Partially inspired by the floating hell maps in Doom 2016.

The Inferno intermission screen doesn't appear to be floating. There's a river of blood, coming from the sky in that episode. You may fill that space with blood, or red fog like the Inferno sky.
0

User is offline   Nash 

#3875

Apologies for the crude sketch as I'm about to head to bed and I quickly scribbled this, but this was what I had in mind when I made it. The landmass you play on (the one in the intermission) is supposed to be some gigantic floating island, one of many. I put in 3 more smaller floating landmasses in the sketch; that's how I'd imagine the view to look like if the camera zoomed out some more. They'd all float above an endless sea of blood and fire.

This probably did not translate as clearly as I'd have hoped to, judging by the responses here so far. It's on my list of improvements to do.

https://i.imgur.com/B7gN51N.png

This post has been edited by Nash: 02 November 2020 - 08:09 AM

2

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#3876

I like it.
0

User is offline   Malgon 

#3877



Doom midis but all the notes are inverted, which is definitely interesting to hear! :D
1

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#3878

I love stuff like that.
0

User is online   Ninety-Six 

#3879

I'm not even entirely sure what was done. I mean I get the gist of it: when the song goes up, this goes down, and vice versa. That said I'm not sure of the specifics of inverting a midi, like how the new notes are determined and such.
0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • The Sarien Encounter

#3880

You select all the notes in a MIDI channel on a Piano Roll and invert their positions within their range of notes (I think most DAWs and sequencers have this function). So say the lowest note was a B2 or something and the highest note was an E6, the invert function would invert them so that the B2 notes would be the E6 and vice versa and everything in between would be inverted relative to that. The same number of notes away on the scale, just upside down. Then you do that for every channel. Some MIDI channel note ranges possibly might have to be moved up or down after inversion a bit to preserve the tonal harmony between other channels...maybe. I've never done it that's just the first caveat that comes to mind when I think about the process and how it works.
2

User is offline   Malgon 

#3881

The download link has been posted for the midis:

https://www.mediafir...verted.zip/file
0

User is offline   jkas789 

#3882

View PostMalgon, on 06 November 2020 - 07:30 PM, said:



Doom midis but all the notes are inverted, which is definitely interesting to hear! :D


This was so weird. it was like my brain was trying to parse this but it couldn't help but compare it to the original.

What evil black magic have you wrought to this world?
1

#3883

The filenames indicate he used this: https://github.com/S...Hog/MIDIFlipper
1

User is offline   Malgon 

#3884

^He mentioned that in one of the replies to a comment. I meant to post that here.

Edit: Here was the reply:

Quote

RlndGM.sf2 was the soundfont (found on Musical Artifacts website), I used ShadowHog's "MIDIflipper" for get the midis inverted


This post has been edited by Malgon: 08 November 2020 - 10:17 PM

0

#3885

There hasn't been a new post since a month ago, so I figured I'd bump the topic considering the Doom's 27th birthday is approaching!

With that said, I finally finished Double Impact, which I started 4-5 months ago and have been dragging stuff for so long due to having a lot of stuff to play (I haven't forgotten either about other Doom wads I have in progress, Akeldama, DTWID, KDIZD and Herian 2, some of which I continued a level once in a while but sadly Akeldama has been left in the dust since August or so). I have finished E1M4 & E1M5 last month (and even had a screenshot saved since then, along with some recent ones I took) and this week I did an effort to finish last 3 maps! What a ride it was! I enjoyed Double Impact very much for being a modernized Knee Deep in the Dead style episode, rather challenging at times but also a lot of fun. I admit I really had to look on YouTube for UV Max videos before I played (there were few times where few parts became inaccessible later, so I may have had to replay small sections when I forgot to access an area that became inaccessible later) just to plan my routes in the map and look for the secrets, so I know exactly where I'm going. Died once more on E1M6 on the nasty trap down there as I killed myself with the Rocket Launcher (no idea what got close to me because it seemed like an enemy somewhere close to me absorbed the rocket and made me take massive damage from my own rockets and blind me, even if I had like 140-150 health and blue armor but on second attempt I survived, also no I don't think there was a spectre in that room that got in my face, though it is possible I may have somehow hit an enemy's hitbox, it was weird and I was at loss of words) but I did fine so far, including E1M7 which was really long and took me more than an hour to finish (hence the TIME SUCKS) but I handled it surprisingly fine. I also had the Plasma ammo saved (there is no BFG to be found in this episode) and ended up exactly with max 600 ammo in the final level, had 200 health and 167 armor and was fully prepared for what was coming. Everything was going fine, right?

Unfortunately the final map kinda ruined the experience and definitely not in a way you'd expect. You see, I played using Eternity 4.00.00 (yes I know Eternity 4.01.00 came a while ago and have it installed and ready to play but I still have my Eternity 4.00.00 folder because the update came a while ago after I had already played through Double Impact and I didn't want to make my save game invalid, so I continued like that) and Eternity doesn't have the vanilla compatibility enabled by default, I have no idea what is enabled by default but things didn't work correctly. I have managed to kill those Cyberdemons by hiding in a spot and kill them from that room here, considering I had all that plasma ammo, I did kill all 4 of them and without dying, which made me feel satisfied that I managed to do it on my first try! But after this? Spiders didn't appear (there is one at beginning that teleports away but later two are supposed to teleport) and two doors didn't open (as you can see in the screenshot with those unexplored areas) and I thought that I got stuck because I killed the cyberdemons earlier which isn't intended but even after replaying the map from that backup save from beginning of level and doing it by running around and avoiding the rockets to press the switches (which costed me a few deaths this time), same thing happened. I realized the port is at fault here. I couldn't believe that Eternity screwed me this time, thinking that Eternity has better compatibility than ZDoom based source ports, unfortunately that wasn't the case here. Maybe I should have used PrBoom+ because of the various compatibility levels...

I was forced to cheat with IDCLIP and I might as well use IDDQD (as I was cheating anyway) to finish the map, quit in disappointment and think what the hell did I do wrong?

After checking more YouTube videos of same map (including on the Switch port, BTW noticed the official addon version of wad has slightly different item/enemy placements in some maps such as E1M7), I realized that it was definitely Eternity's fault and I can probably still complete the map without cheating in Eternity port. And well, it worked! I started with command line parameters:
"D:\Eternity Engine\Eternity.exe" -iwad DOOM.WAD -file dbimpact.wad -warp 1 8 -skill 4 -vanilla

Turns out Eternity had a -vanilla parameter that made Eternity act like Vanilla Doom (instead of Boom or whatever defaults were), though there are no similar parameters for Boom and MBF compatibility. Unfortunately this meant that I must start the final level from a pistol start (also forgot to mention there are 4 secrets inside each other at start of E1M8 but I knew about that when I watched the video, so thankfully I didn't end with missing secrets, also a similar case where at end of E1M7 you drop down and can't go back earlier, so I came prepared with everything collected at that point) and that meant all that stuff I collected earlier was gone, so it was really hard this time around and try to run like crazy and ignore enemies (and kill only few that stand in the way) but it wasn't as bad as I thought, I was calm the entire time, even after dying like 20-30 times from cyber rockets (because I knew I would eventually finish, plus I saved on multiple slots, just in case I save in a bad spot which happened once), I still did in the end and yes this time the spiders appeared and map worked as intended, I was no longer getting stuck after pressing the 4 switches. I have finally finished Double Impact on UV and 100% in each category, as also seen on last screenshot where I had to enable the rather ugly BOOM HUD just to show the stats, because Eternity has no automap stats for some stupid reason, even in version 4.01.00 (though I heard there is a new HUD at least, which should replace this BOOM HUD).

As for the other wads in progress, all I remember is still being on MAP12 of Akeldama, while reaching E1M9 (secret level on KDIZD), E2M4 on DTWID and MAP11 on Herian 2 (and died once here on MAP09 I think) because I accidentally stepped in the teleporting sector in water and got trapped in inescapable "underwater". I hope to finish these as soon as I can, so I can start other megawads as well.

Oh and last week I also played a bunch of limit-removing wads (in PrBoom+) and ZDoom/GZDoom wads at random but I won't go into details right now, I may talk about that another time since those wads weren't anything special as far as I remember. I don't like having to give so many details, so I will end the message with 18 Double Impact screenshots (last three are after pistol starting). Looking forward to see what Cacowards will be this year even if some choices will be terrible (as has been the case in most years, there's always some dumb wad that gets chosen just to fill the missing spot, while underrated gems or actually good wads get ignored in favor of gimmicky wads or slaughterfest bullshit) and I'm also looking forward to see what more addons get added to the Doom Unity ports this Thursday. I know there hasn't been a new addon since like 3 months but let's hope they will add 2-3 new addons this time to compensate for the missing addon, considering they had some technical issues with some of their choices and that's why they couldn't add a new addon in past month.

Attached thumbnail(s)

  • Attached Image: etrn00.png
  • Attached Image: etrn01.png
  • Attached Image: etrn02.png
  • Attached Image: etrn04.png
  • Attached Image: etrn05.png
  • Attached Image: etrn06.png
  • Attached Image: etrn07.png
  • Attached Image: etrn08.png
  • Attached Image: etrn10.png
  • Attached Image: etrn11.png
  • Attached Image: etrn12.png
  • Attached Image: etrn13.png
  • Attached Image: etrn15.png
  • Attached Image: etrn16.png
  • Attached Image: etrn17.png
  • Attached Image: etrn18.png
  • Attached Image: etrn19.png
  • Attached Image: etrn21.png


This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 08 December 2020 - 08:50 AM

1

User is offline   jkas789 

#3886

Have you tried Evil Egypt Running Duke? I personally like it very much. Then again I'm a sucker for Egyptian/any ancient civ themed stuff.
0

#3887

I remember Double Impact, it was much like DTWID, never felt modernized Knee Deep in the Dead to me, more like "mapper tries his best to copy the style". The modernized KDITD should look like E1M4b or E1M8b.
0

#3888

View Postjkas789, on 08 December 2020 - 07:13 PM, said:

Have you tried Evil Egypt Running Duke? I personally like it very much. Then again I'm a sucker for Egyptian/any ancient civ themed stuff.

Not yet. Evil Egypt (along with the rest of DBP series) are on my to play list. I have been thinking to start the first couple of DBP series since a while ago but never got around. I guess I will use Crispy Doom for these, since they are all limit-removing mapsets. I know there's a few other Egyptian themed mapsets like Osiris TC and Epic 2, with the latter being a full 32-map megawad that I heard it becomes slaughterfest in last couple of levels. I intend to play these as well, I only remember playing Epic 2 in GZDoom many years ago and reaching MAP10 or so but I will restart the wad in PrBoom+ with the proper compatibility settings and give it another shot.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 08 December 2020 - 11:15 PM, said:

I remember Double Impact, it was much like DTWID, never felt modernized Knee Deep in the Dead to me, more like "mapper tries his best to copy the style". The modernized KDITD should look like E1M4b or E1M8b.

I think you're right, though to me it was still an enjoyable experience, sort of a modern E1 replacement (yes I know there's many E1 replacements and I will try them all eventually), I felt every map was good (even the last one, though I can agree the latest was also the weakest) and even if some levels were dragging out a bit longer than they should have, it was still an amazing limit-removing wad and a Cacoward (and official addon) well deserved.

I haven't played E1M4b and E1M8b just yet (they are also on the to play list, sitting inside a Crispy Doom folder) but I will surely play them tomorrow, probably after I start playing Romero's SIGIL episode, because it's one that I really want to play after 1.5 years since it was released and missed the initial hype (though I still read people's comments at that time). Tomorrow actually marks two years since it was announced, so I might as well play it. Not sure if I should do on HMP or UV difficulty but either way I will play the latest 1.21 version of the wad and after I finish it, I will try to see the older versions and see exactly what was changed between them. I know the initial 1.0 version had some balance problems and some unreachable items, so I will go with the latest for the initial experience, much like my first entire Doom experience (after playing the shareware versions 1.2, 1.666, 1.9 countless times as kid) was playing the Ultimate Doom, which not only meant experiencing E4 but also experiencing E2 and E3 for first time as well.

I wouldn't mind if Romero went back and made an entire E1 remake much like his E1M4b and E1M8b, that way the episode will also become official addon, because it seems like they don't add single level wads, only episode replacements at least. Maybe he is still working on something special (a mapset for Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen or Quake) and he might reveal tomorrow, who knows? I mean I'm not his biggest fan (I really hated his E4M2 and E4M6 of Ultimate Doom due to how hard they were, though last time I played I didn't have too much trouble with E4M6 because I learned the path and where to go but E4M2 was still fucking annoying and hard with all the cacodemon and baron spam, especially when playing the original Ultimate Doom in DOSBox keyboard only with arrow keys for movement and was very difficult to dodge attacks on cramped spaces) but I really liked E1 (being my favorite Doom episode and also the only episode I had as kid, not counting a pirated version of Doom 2 that was only other complete Doom experience) and I think Romero can do some really great maps, based on his recent outputs E1M8b, E1M4b and SIGIL, which I can't wait to play soon. It's a shame that Thy Flesh Consumed was so half-assed and poorly put together, with some great looking levels but having a really strange difficulty curve that made the first two levels unfairly difficult. I'd like to think SIGIL is the true episode 4 of Ultimate Doom.

Speaking of DTWID, I played a bit more and reached E2M5. I will save the rest for tomorrow.
2

User is online   Ninety-Six 

#3889

DTWiD definitely took a downturn in quality mid-E2, in my opinion. Especially the secret level.
0

#3890

View PostNinety-Six, on 09 December 2020 - 04:14 AM, said:

DTWiD definitely took a downturn in quality mid-E2, in my opinion. Especially the secret level.

I understand. I had a lot of fun with E1 (I even think DTWID E1 secret level was better than actual secret level from original E1) and E2 so far has been okay but I will see later when I play the other half of E2 and entire E3. I only played through DTWID once or twice around time it came out, so I don't remember much anyway and this time I'm getting 100% in each level as well. I also remember playing through D2TWID once (again when it came out) but other than that, haven't played the other DTWID series/spinoffs just yet. After I will finish DTWID, I will probably do them this way: UDTWID (E4), D2TWID, DTWID: LE and NEIS.

Anyway, the Cacowards 2020 are up:
https://www.doomworl...cacowards/2020/

I will say there are some interesting choices this year. I will also say to prepare for later today when they (hopefully) release more official addons. I'm going to bet the following will become official content:
Spoiler

0

#3891

View PostRunningDuke, on 09 December 2020 - 12:22 AM, said:

Not yet. Evil Egypt (along with the rest of DBP series) are on my to play list. I have been thinking to start the first couple of DBP series since a while ago but never got around. I guess I will use Crispy Doom for these, since they are all limit-removing mapsets. I know there's a few other Egyptian themed mapsets like Osiris TC and Epic 2, with the latter being a full 32-map megawad that I heard it becomes slaughterfest in last couple of levels. I intend to play these as well, I only remember playing Epic 2 in GZDoom many years ago and reaching MAP10 or so but I will restart the wad in PrBoom+ with the proper compatibility settings and give it another shot.


I think you're right, though to me it was still an enjoyable experience, sort of a modern E1 replacement (yes I know there's many E1 replacements and I will try them all eventually), I felt every map was good (even the last one, though I can agree the latest was also the weakest) and even if some levels were dragging out a bit longer than they should have, it was still an amazing limit-removing wad and a Cacoward (and official addon) well deserved.

I haven't played E1M4b and E1M8b just yet (they are also on the to play list, sitting inside a Crispy Doom folder) but I will surely play them tomorrow, probably after I start playing Romero's SIGIL episode, because it's one that I really want to play after 1.5 years since it was released and missed the initial hype (though I still read people's comments at that time). Tomorrow actually marks two years since it was announced, so I might as well play it. Not sure if I should do on HMP or UV difficulty but either way I will play the latest 1.21 version of the wad and after I finish it, I will try to see the older versions and see exactly what was changed between them. I know the initial 1.0 version had some balance problems and some unreachable items, so I will go with the latest for the initial experience, much like my first entire Doom experience (after playing the shareware versions 1.2, 1.666, 1.9 countless times as kid) was playing the Ultimate Doom, which not only meant experiencing E4 but also experiencing E2 and E3 for first time as well.

I wouldn't mind if Romero went back and made an entire E1 remake much like his E1M4b and E1M8b, that way the episode will also become official addon, because it seems like they don't add single level wads, only episode replacements at least. Maybe he is still working on something special (a mapset for Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen or Quake) and he might reveal tomorrow, who knows? I mean I'm not his biggest fan (I really hated his E4M2 and E4M6 of Ultimate Doom due to how hard they were, though last time I played I didn't have too much trouble with E4M6 because I learned the path and where to go but E4M2 was still fucking annoying and hard with all the cacodemon and baron spam, especially when playing the original Ultimate Doom in DOSBox keyboard only with arrow keys for movement and was very difficult to dodge attacks on cramped spaces) but I really liked E1 (being my favorite Doom episode and also the only episode I had as kid, not counting a pirated version of Doom 2 that was only other complete Doom experience) and I think Romero can do some really great maps, based on his recent outputs E1M8b, E1M4b and SIGIL, which I can't wait to play soon. It's a shame that Thy Flesh Consumed was so half-assed and poorly put together, with some great looking levels but having a really strange difficulty curve that made the first two levels unfairly difficult. I'd like to think SIGIL is the true episode 4 of Ultimate Doom.

Speaking of DTWID, I played a bit more and reached E2M5. I will save the rest for tomorrow.


Yes, Sigil is the Thy Flesh Consumed episode done right. The only map I enjoy from TFC was E4M6, a hard one with some trial and error and also some mandatory damage, but it has a clever layout and attractive design (for its time). With some scaling updates and a few extra details here and there (like the zigzags from modern Romero maps), also an eye switch somewhere, and Sigil's Baphomet ending, and it would fit like a glove to Sigil's facade. Other than that, the levels in TFC are boring, and the first two maps are very annoying to play. I don't like E4M1 even on the HMP setting, there are way too many hitscanner ambush in the level, it's very frustrating.

IIRC if Romero wants completion, he should make an alternate episode 1 with 9 levels as the first 3-4 are classic KDITD style maps (E1M4b, E1M8b included) and the others are SOH style. It can be done with 7 new levels IMHO. With that the new episode and Sigil would make the ultimate 18 level experience of classic Doom reimagination.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 10 December 2020 - 01:59 AM

1

#3892

View PostThe Watchtower, on 10 December 2020 - 01:58 AM, said:

Yes, Sigil is the Thy Flesh Consumed episode done right. The only map I enjoy from TFC was E4M6, a hard one with some trial and error and also some mandatory damage, but it has a clever layout and attractive design (for its time). With some scaling updates and a few extra details here and there (like the zigzags from modern Romero maps), also an eye switch somewhere, and Sigil's Baphomet ending, and it would fit like a glove to Sigil's facade. Other than that, the levels in TFC are boring, and the first two maps are very annoying to play. I don't like E4M1 even on the HMP setting, there are way too many hitscanner ambush in the level, it's very frustrating.

IIRC if Romero wants completion, he should make an alternate episode 1 with 9 levels as the first 3-4 are classic KDITD style maps (E1M4b, E1M8b included) and the others are SOH style. It can be done with 7 new levels IMHO. With that the new episode and Sigil would make the ultimate 18 level experience of classic Doom reimagination.

I understand and I agree with your points, I can imagine E4M6 being remade and put as a 10th level in SIGIL or something. IMO E4M6 would have been really good if it weren't for the lack of armor on UV skill (then again Sigil E5M1 didn't have armor either), at least if you want to pistol start it. On continuous it's not too bad if you still have some armor from previous levels and it is recommended to get the green armor in E4M5 (even if you still got around 100 or less blue armor) because the green armor should last until the entire level, assuming you don't get hit often. As far as I remember from two years ago, the green armor lasted until the start of E4M7. I should seriously try to pistol start each level in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 and see if I can do them, because in continuous they aren't that hard!

I have only played E2, E3 and E4 on UV skill to this day, so I'm not familiar with how they play on easier skill levels, I mean the differences in terms of enemy and item placement, the only familiarity comes from some YouTube videos and Doomwiki.org pages. As far as I know, E4M1 has 6 medkits available on all skills up to HMP but this comes at the cost with there not being too much ammo, since on UV skill the main source of ammo is from shotgun guys. What's funny is in Ultimate Doom (and especially the very first episode), playing on UV means a lot of shotgun guys and that means you can easily get a lot of shotgun shells by killing all of them (in E1 means you will never run out of shotgun ammo), in E4M1 on UV this means ammo may not be such a problem if you know to spend it wisely but this also means a major lack of health (except for the 9 health bonuses that are in the second room), the annoying teleporting enemies, the stupid red key trap with teleporting enemies (one being a baron that is difficult to handle and depends where he will teleport) and those enemies behind fake walls that can shoot you while you can't even see them and if that wasn't enough, that pointless NIN secret with those 4-5 bullshit barons. And to make it worse, the next level is the hardest in the entire game. I wonder WTF they were thinking when they designed such shitty levels? And to add insult to injury, none of the id produced expansions (TFC, Master Levels, Final Doom) added anything new to the game, new levels that could be described as just more of the same and it's nothing that the community couldn't create already.

Would have loved at the very least to add some Doom 2 enemies and the Super Shotgun into TFC, that would have made E4M1 and E4M2 much more playable if you had access to the SSG in those maps. Since I usually play original levels in DOSBox, I don't bother with modifying the map order (like some people do with E4) or adding the Super Shotgun into Ultimate Doom (both of which are very easily done in ZDoom based ports), so I'm forced to endure these maps as intended and with the default controls, which is not a bad thing as I like to have a challenge sometimes but I get frustrated easily and I don't have patience either to redo same thing over and over, to me it's just save/load spam on first 2 levels of E4 until doing it right, then occasional saving on others (just in case I die or finish the level and missed a secret/item/kill and have to backtrack, unless it's E4M3 and E4M7 which I just leave with the secrets that can be collected without cheating) and the episode is easily done in the end.

Now back to the wads I played, let's see. I reached MAP13 on Herian 2 and was ok but I hated how I had to backtrack for two health bonuses (disguised as rain droplets) that were very difficult to spot since I had 99% items (and there is no item stat on ZDoom 1.22), DTWID I reached E2M9 and I finally started SIGIL and I'm on E5M2.

I can definitely see that DTWID has started going a bit downhill, E2M5 which seemed a bit ugly, had a secret area that became inaccessible (as I checked doomwiki.org and an YouTube video prior just to be prepared) and as I noticed when I couldn't access that room anymore, I reloaded my last save (before I accessed the blue door that closed that secret, I suppose that caused it to close, not sure exactly) and then I went to the secret and could access it fine. The last part with the radiation suit and that acid area with imps and spectre and trying to get 100%, took me a few tries with reloading (though thankfully I didn't die) because my radiation suit ran out and I had to be fast with shotgun/chaingun/RL and then I realized I missed a few enemies (as I only had 93% kills), then realized I missed a switch somewhere for the last bunch of imps and shotgun guys. There was also a surprise baron that almost caught me in that small room since I thought I had killed everyone but then as I entered room I noticed him, I managed to run out of room before he blocked me, all I took was only minimal damage from all that, was glad I escaped in time. Went back to end of level (where you get the radiation suit) and saved. After carefully redoing those last rooms as fast as I can, I managed to reach the secret exit with 100% everything (note that since I play in Chocolate Doom, I can't tell when I find a secret and those exit rooms were identical in different areas, so I had a few backup saves just in case, plus the stats can only be seen at end of level) and stopped at E2M9.

As for SIGIL, I started it in Eternity (yeah I know still using Eternity, as it supports main SIGIL wad as E5, hope I won't get stuck anymore due to compatibility breaking) on UV skill and I'm actually impressed, I finished the first level 100% (though I did watch an UV max video before, considering I already watched SIGIL speedruns in past year and was familiar with levels a bit and wanted a startup boost) and I gotta say the level was quite challenging and well designed. I nearly got screwed at beginning by the spectre (even if I knew he was there) as it was almost completely invisible to me, I could only feel its presence when I bumped into it after I killed the imps. He bite me twice (the second time happened to do max damage, what a bastard!) and he left me with kinda low health and made me feel a bit unprepared for the rest of the level. Good thing I got the soul sphere secret (and rest secrets). I was almost certain I'd screw it somewhere but I handled the map better than I expected, the final room that I expected to damage me, somehow I did without any problem. I still ended up with exactly 100% health at end of level (and backtracked to get those 4 shells in the room earlier). But then again E5M2 has a berserk and soulsphere secret at start just in case, so I might wait until I kill the first couple of enemies and then collect them for an easy 200% health. Of course I will continue SIGIL sometime later, as I'm busy with other stuff. It was great from what I played and I wish it won a Cacoward last year, it's really good and well deserved to be an official addon! But I hope the later levels won't give me trouble. I don't want another E4M2. :P

Some screenshots of DTWID and SIGIL. Guess I should stop posting screenshots to not make it look like spamming the topic. I should also wait until I finish the episode and THEN give my impressions instead of each level. Then again I'm kinda slow because I like to take my time and get 100% in each level instead of finishing it quickly.

Attached thumbnail(s)

  • Attached Image: DOOM00.png
  • Attached Image: DOOM01.png
  • Attached Image: etrn01.png
  • Attached Image: etrn02.png
  • Attached Image: etrn03.png
  • Attached Image: etrn04.png
  • Attached Image: etrn05.png

1

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

  • Balls of Steel Forever

#3893



Demade Doom

This post has been edited by Null: 13 December 2020 - 10:04 PM

1

#3894

View PostRunningDuke, on 11 December 2020 - 04:33 AM, said:

I understand and I agree with your points, I can imagine E4M6 being remade and put as a 10th level in SIGIL or something. IMO E4M6 would have been really good if it weren't for the lack of armor on UV skill (then again Sigil E5M1 didn't have armor either), at least if you want to pistol start it. On continuous it's not too bad if you still have some armor from previous levels and it is recommended to get the green armor in E4M5 (even if you still got around 100 or less blue armor) because the green armor should last until the entire level, assuming you don't get hit often. As far as I remember from two years ago, the green armor lasted until the start of E4M7. I should seriously try to pistol start each level in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 and see if I can do them, because in continuous they aren't that hard!

I have only played E2, E3 and E4 on UV skill to this day, so I'm not familiar with how they play on easier skill levels, I mean the differences in terms of enemy and item placement, the only familiarity comes from some YouTube videos and Doomwiki.org pages. As far as I know, E4M1 has 6 medkits available on all skills up to HMP but this comes at the cost with there not being too much ammo, since on UV skill the main source of ammo is from shotgun guys. What's funny is in Ultimate Doom (and especially the very first episode), playing on UV means a lot of shotgun guys and that means you can easily get a lot of shotgun shells by killing all of them (in E1 means you will never run out of shotgun ammo), in E4M1 on UV this means ammo may not be such a problem if you know to spend it wisely but this also means a major lack of health (except for the 9 health bonuses that are in the second room), the annoying teleporting enemies, the stupid red key trap with teleporting enemies (one being a baron that is difficult to handle and depends where he will teleport) and those enemies behind fake walls that can shoot you while you can't even see them and if that wasn't enough, that pointless NIN secret with those 4-5 bullshit barons. And to make it worse, the next level is the hardest in the entire game. I wonder WTF they were thinking when they designed such shitty levels? And to add insult to injury, none of the id produced expansions (TFC, Master Levels, Final Doom) added anything new to the game, new levels that could be described as just more of the same and it's nothing that the community couldn't create already.

Would have loved at the very least to add some Doom 2 enemies and the Super Shotgun into TFC, that would have made E4M1 and E4M2 much more playable if you had access to the SSG in those maps. Since I usually play original levels in DOSBox, I don't bother with modifying the map order (like some people do with E4) or adding the Super Shotgun into Ultimate Doom (both of which are very easily done in ZDoom based ports), so I'm forced to endure these maps as intended and with the default controls, which is not a bad thing as I like to have a challenge sometimes but I get frustrated easily and I don't have patience either to redo same thing over and over, to me it's just save/load spam on first 2 levels of E4 until doing it right, then occasional saving on others (just in case I die or finish the level and missed a secret/item/kill and have to backtrack, unless it's E4M3 and E4M7 which I just leave with the secrets that can be collected without cheating) and the episode is easily done in the end.

Now back to the wads I played, let's see. I reached MAP13 on Herian 2 and was ok but I hated how I had to backtrack for two health bonuses (disguised as rain droplets) that were very difficult to spot since I had 99% items (and there is no item stat on ZDoom 1.22), DTWID I reached E2M9 and I finally started SIGIL and I'm on E5M2.

I can definitely see that DTWID has started going a bit downhill, E2M5 which seemed a bit ugly, had a secret area that became inaccessible (as I checked doomwiki.org and an YouTube video prior just to be prepared) and as I noticed when I couldn't access that room anymore, I reloaded my last save (before I accessed the blue door that closed that secret, I suppose that caused it to close, not sure exactly) and then I went to the secret and could access it fine. The last part with the radiation suit and that acid area with imps and spectre and trying to get 100%, took me a few tries with reloading (though thankfully I didn't die) because my radiation suit ran out and I had to be fast with shotgun/chaingun/RL and then I realized I missed a few enemies (as I only had 93% kills), then realized I missed a switch somewhere for the last bunch of imps and shotgun guys. There was also a surprise baron that almost caught me in that small room since I thought I had killed everyone but then as I entered room I noticed him, I managed to run out of room before he blocked me, all I took was only minimal damage from all that, was glad I escaped in time. Went back to end of level (where you get the radiation suit) and saved. After carefully redoing those last rooms as fast as I can, I managed to reach the secret exit with 100% everything (note that since I play in Chocolate Doom, I can't tell when I find a secret and those exit rooms were identical in different areas, so I had a few backup saves just in case, plus the stats can only be seen at end of level) and stopped at E2M9.

As for SIGIL, I started it in Eternity (yeah I know still using Eternity, as it supports main SIGIL wad as E5, hope I won't get stuck anymore due to compatibility breaking) on UV skill and I'm actually impressed, I finished the first level 100% (though I did watch an UV max video before, considering I already watched SIGIL speedruns in past year and was familiar with levels a bit and wanted a startup boost) and I gotta say the level was quite challenging and well designed. I nearly got screwed at beginning by the spectre (even if I knew he was there) as it was almost completely invisible to me, I could only feel its presence when I bumped into it after I killed the imps. He bite me twice (the second time happened to do max damage, what a bastard!) and he left me with kinda low health and made me feel a bit unprepared for the rest of the level. Good thing I got the soul sphere secret (and rest secrets). I was almost certain I'd screw it somewhere but I handled the map better than I expected, the final room that I expected to damage me, somehow I did without any problem. I still ended up with exactly 100% health at end of level (and backtracked to get those 4 shells in the room earlier). But then again E5M2 has a berserk and soulsphere secret at start just in case, so I might wait until I kill the first couple of enemies and then collect them for an easy 200% health. Of course I will continue SIGIL sometime later, as I'm busy with other stuff. It was great from what I played and I wish it won a Cacoward last year, it's really good and well deserved to be an official addon! But I hope the later levels won't give me trouble. I don't want another E4M2. :P

Some screenshots of DTWID and SIGIL. Guess I should stop posting screenshots to not make it look like spamming the topic. I should also wait until I finish the episode and THEN give my impressions instead of each level. Then again I'm kinda slow because I like to take my time and get 100% in each level instead of finishing it quickly.


I actually think E5M1 is the second worst level in Sigil after E5M9, the secret level. It's pretty simple, and its only point is to teach you how the eye switches work. The scenery in the secret areas might show you the boss level, while the boss level somewhat shows you E5M1 at its boundaries. That's an interesting concept, but I still don't like E5M1 too much. The game seriously picks up quality around E5M4 or especiall E5M5.
0

User is online   Ninety-Six 

#3895

Honestly my opinion is almost the complete opposite. I prefer the beginning parts and find M5, M6, and especially M7 to be the weakest parts of the episode. I find their central level design gimmicks to be more on the annoying side than anything. I prefer M1-M4 for being a bit more straightforward, and likewise for M8 (though it is an absolute bitch on pistol start).

M9... honestly I don't think I can possibly have a valid opinion on this, because I am so heavily biased towards its song. I can be led astray by music alone in some cases, and I just absolutely love Adrenaline in the Blood because of its second half being absolutely gorgeous. That rubs off on the level and I really can't help it. I'm at least aware of it.
0

User is offline   jkas789 

#3896

View PostNull, on 13 December 2020 - 10:03 PM, said:



Demade Doom


In theory I like it, however playing it is a little bit too demake-y for me.
1

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

  • Balls of Steel Forever

#3897

View Postjkas789, on 14 December 2020 - 01:11 AM, said:

In theory I like it, however playing it is a little bit too demake-y for me.

I think it was more of a technical feat, as it was done with pico-8.
0

User is offline   jkas789 

#3898

it is indeed impressive that they managed to build the game in Pico-8 and it ending up being so loyal to the original. But honestly although it plays better than it has any right to be, it feels to me kinda janky.

Still gotta give it to the phenomenon that is Doom. At the pase it is going will there anything left that cannot run Doom?
1

#3899

View PostNinety-Six, on 14 December 2020 - 12:20 AM, said:

Honestly my opinion is almost the complete opposite. I prefer the beginning parts and find M5, M6, and especially M7 to be the weakest parts of the episode. I find their central level design gimmicks to be more on the annoying side than anything. I prefer M1-M4 for being a bit more straightforward, and likewise for M8 (though it is an absolute bitch on pistol start).

M9... honestly I don't think I can possibly have a valid opinion on this, because I am so heavily biased towards its song. I can be led astray by music alone in some cases, and I just absolutely love Adrenaline in the Blood because of its second half being absolutely gorgeous. That rubs off on the level and I really can't help it. I'm at least aware of it.


Yeah, Adrenaline in the Blood is a masterpiece from Paddock, it's my favourite piece of soundtrack only rivaled by Staker/City Streets in Duke. But that alone doesn't make levels. The Cybie is extremely annoying, and the map lacks a good central theme.
0

User is online   Ninety-Six 

#3900

I know, but at least I'm aware my judgement was being affected, which is why I didn't offer a full opinion. That said, I do agree at least about the cybie being in kind of an asshole spot. As for theming, I'll confess that they all kinda look the same to me. The only thing that stands out between them to me is tone, which is set up by the music choice (both versions follow a similar progression), general light level, and sky visibility. I think the only one that has a distinct appearance to me otherwise is M1, and that's solely because it uses the red rock walls instead of the gray rock walls the rest of the episode uses.
0

Share this topic:


  • 132 Pages +
  • « First
  • 128
  • 129
  • 130
  • 131
  • 132
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options