Duke4.net Forums: 3D Realms Purchased By Danish Investor - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Realms Purchased By Danish Investor

User is offline   Kathy 

#91

View PostYause, on 03 March 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Instead of helping creators bring their concepts to life (the old Apogee model), Broussard began taking over their work and imposing his vision.

What are talking about? Broussard was the designer here. "Apogee model" was to approach outside developers and fund their game with enough independence. Games you're talking here were developed in-house.
0

User is offline   Skulldog 

#92

Look for the rest of our interview with Interceptor – which includes the Rise of the Triad developer’s publishing plans and overwhelming desire to acquire the Blood IP – very, very soon.

Now this is interesting.
0

User is offline   Yause 

#93

View PostKathy, on 04 March 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

What are talking about? Broussard was the designer here. "Apogee model" was to approach outside developers and fund their game with enough independence. Games you're talking here were developed in-house.


Broussard was the designer because he took over. Shadow Warrior was originally an external game by Frank Maddin (programmer), Jim Norwood (creator, programmer, artist), and Eric Reuter (original level designer), but it became a Broussard production once 3D Realms restarted it in-house. According to Randy Pitchford (who also claimed that Broussard fired out a Lo Wang press release before consulting with anyone - the dev staff learned about the character on the same morning as everyone else), Norwood was unhappy and tried to redo his original concept after returning home to Seattle.

Blood was a Q Studios project, and Ken Silverman has alluded to their disagreement with 3D Realms:
http://www.classicdo...nsilverman.html
1

User is offline   Kathy 

#94

Interesting. But Duke Nukem 3d was definitely in-house project?

This post has been edited by Kathy: 04 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

0

#95

View PostYause, on 04 March 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

Blood was a Q Studios project, and Ken Silverman has alluded to their disagreement with 3D Realms:
http://www.classicdo...nsilverman.html


Q Studios was purchased by Monolith in mid 1996 IIRC.
From everything I've been told there were disagreements on certain design elements and at times, the tone of the game. Some felt Blood should be more slap stick... while most felt the game should maintain a black comedy tone.
But, a big part was that 3DRealms simply couldn't afford to fund the development of Shadow Warrior, Blood, PREY and the expansion to DN3D.

With the "issues" internally, selling the Blood IP was the best move. Lith acquired both, only themselves to be gobbled up by Warner Bros who has shifted the company into a license game maker. :blink:
It's part of why Craig Hubbard and other key members left Monolith in 2012, going off to make BlackPoweder Games and their debut game... "Betrayer".

Personally, if anyone should get the Blood IP... it's BlackPowder Games or Devolver Digital.
1

User is offline   Paul B 

#96

View PostYatta, on 02 March 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

I think Fresch is great and he will do good for the new company.

I agree! I have a good feeling about this.
2

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#97

Interesting to see what direction they take.
0

User is offline   Jimmy 

  • 1776 World Wide

#98

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 04 March 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

From everything I've been told there were disagreements on certain design elements and at times, the tone of the game. Some felt Blood should be more slap stick... while most felt the game should maintain a black comedy tone.

I think it struck a good balance, just like Evil Dead II.
1

User is offline   necroslut 

#99

View PostJimmy, on 05 March 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

I think it struck a good balance, just like Evil Dead II.

I agree. They tried a more serious horror approach in Blood II which didn't work as well.
0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#100

View Postnecroslut, on 05 March 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

I agree. They tried a more serious horror approach in Blood II which didn't work as well.


I felt like they did the opposite in Blood 2. I found that game to be a bit more silly, and crude.
0

User is offline   necroslut 

#101

View PostStrikerMan780, on 06 March 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

I felt like they did the opposite in Blood 2. I found that game to be a bit more silly, and crude.

I think it came across as more silly, because they tried to make it more serious but kinda failed.
0

#102

Blood II they tried to keep the black humor, but added a lot of camp and slap stick style humor.
That bundled with the rushed release date and buggy debut of LithTech... didn't end well.

I for one don't feel the setting or time period was the issue with Blood II. It was trying to develop the engine and the game in a year...
0

User is offline   OpenMaw 

  • Judge Mental

#103

So does this mean Bio Menace could finally get some love again? http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
0

User is offline   necroslut 

#104

View PostCommando Nukem, on 29 March 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

So does this mean Bio Menace could finally get some love again? http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I'm not sure 3DR ever owned the Bio Menace IP, since the game was pretty much made by Jim Norwood on his own.
0

Share this topic:


  • 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options