Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Beach Community Build Project - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Beach Community Build Project

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If there was going to be a way to get to the ship it would probably be a transport, however the transport SE isn't carried by the two-way train effect.

With both CBP 8 and the Beach CBP being large, consistent, epic adventures, it places a lot of pressure on the next CBP (the one after CBP 9 anyway). Don't suppose anyone has any ideas?

Beautiful map with some inimitable humor, memorable and replayable as well. It's like playing Unreal, but in Duke3D, lol. It suffers from several shortcuts which may be used by speedrunners though (the gate can be lowered from the beach side, for example). I've had a problem finding the shrinker, so I had to consult this topic, but that was my fault that I somehow overlooked the view of a big button. Big thanks for this! (not for the disabled =P)

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Lmao if i made a hole thread for a single map i would get told this thread should be moved xD I believe it belongs in the steam workshop community thread 0I0 maybe because its a couple of members :blink: . But hey yeah i must say good work very nice action it does flow like water. But who made the second part ? the damn part when the lights go out one by one >? Big props to that! so genius my favorite part for sure. The map is a bit big for megaton and co op online, map is better for eduke which you did say in description anyway. Some are having toubles even trying to play it. I had the oppurtunity to play. First it crashed 1 minute in 2nd run i managed to play for about 5 minutes 3rd time i managed to play for 14 minutes and had some fun but decided to just try in eduke, some parts got boring but they were replaced with some really! good scenery. But i was lagging alot and dropping frame rates but not on eduke . Also hey i think the doors are a bit big Dukes gun is below the handles again lol fe fi fo fum where is beanstalk ? No i kidding again and just trying to give some feedback nice map very nice job i rated up on workshop.

All sections were surely unique and was nice (would be the bottom line)

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 01 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

• Honored Donor

Glad you like it, Undertaker made everything up to the big beach area. It's not the first time there's been a lights out sequence in a map (if you thought it was, then you need to play more maps :blink: ) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have more of it in Duke maps. IMO Undertaker's section blended in scripted sequences like that with the gameplay really well.

If you like this map, then also check out CBP 8: Metropolitan Starlight, which requires eduke32. http://msdn.duke4.net/hotcbp8.php
Thanks to the large polishing effort, the last two CBPs have been about as good and consistent as you can get for all the different people working on it.

I wish more people would rate it up, since it definitely deserves to be placed among the better Workshop maps. I've been considering writing a news article about it for the duke4.net front page, since this is the first CBP in over one and a half years, and the community needs to be reminded that people are still mapping/modding for Duke 3D underneath all the lawsuits and everything going on.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 01 March 2014 - 11:37 PM

User is offline   Mr. Pink 

Epic.

Many thanks to everyone involved.

User is offline   Paul B 

Finally, I had a chance to play this map. It was really tough, especially as the level progressed. I found that the further I went into the map the less ammo was available and I was running out of ammo on most guns. However, I was favoring the shotty, chain-gun, R.P.G and Devastator mostly. (Pipebombs occasionally when I was bombarded with hoards)

I played the map using... Duke Megaton. It played well, but I noticed some oddities and I'm not sure if some of these were a result of playing with Megaton, so I thought i'd screenshot my findings.

The scenes that really stood out to me were: The choice of music, very nice sound track for the map. The lights out / new beast attack in the tunnel, the Pig cop attack after opening the gate into the beach area, the subway car that ran parallel with another subway car with aliens on it. Soooo Cool! The underground alien thing, the Dam, the pier near the start.

I enjoyed how the map pushed you in one direction only to have to back track in order to move forward. Having the map open up more with progression was fun.

It took me about 100 minutes to play the entire map on Come Get Some difficulty. I killed about 465 enemies and I think I ended up missing one enemy but I caught 7 of the 8 secrets.

Because of the size of the map I would have been more inclined to break it up into a mini episode but every thing did flow really well. I just think checkpoints would have been nice because if you died later on in the map it was kind of annoying to have to restart all over again.

There was one thing I didn't care for in the map. That was the reference about breaking the mirror and Megaton. If it weren't for Megaton we wouldn't have multi-player. For one thing I can actually play Megaton in Windows 7. Eduke32 doesn't run in Windows 7, so that is why I am using Megaton.

In order for me to actually play Eduke I have always had to setup my PC with a dual boot of Windows 7 / Windows XP. I do all my Mapster editing and Eduke playing in Windows XP because Eduke works in XP and is far more stable.

Nicely done team CBP!

P.S The invisible blockable wall screenshot at the start was probably intentional but i'm not sure why it would be. That entire ledge should be able to be traversed without a problem. I'm not sure why it was made blockable.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Screenshot1.jpg
  • Attached Image: Screenshot2.jpg
  • Attached Image: screenshot3.jpg
  • Attached Image: screenshot4.jpg
  • Attached Image: Screenshot5.jpg
  • Attached Image: Screenshot6.jpg
  • Attached Image: Screenshot 7.jpg

This post has been edited by Paul B: 02 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

• Honored Donor

Thanks for the pictures Paul. Most of those issues are with the megaton edition, not eduke32. Although I'm not getting any issue with the weird walls. It seems that some people are having more trouble with the map than others.

It turns out that the BCBP is acting like the ultimate stress-tester for megaton Posted Image

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Megaton completely fucks any moving sprites so there's that.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMicky C, on 01 March 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

With both CBP 8 and the Beach CBP being large, consistent, epic adventures, it places a lot of pressure on the next CBP (the one after CBP 9 anyway). Don't suppose anyone has any ideas?

I do http://forums.duke4....sode-duke-hard/

View PostMicky C, on 01 March 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

I wish more people would rate it up, since it definitely deserves to be placed among the better Workshop maps. I've been considering writing a news article about it for the duke4.net front page, since this is the first CBP in over one and a half years, and the community needs to be reminded that people are still mapping/modding for Duke 3D underneath all the lawsuits and everything going on.

I find it funny how you more than anyone thinks his stuff needs all the attention :blink: This is a good map but there are tons of maps on Megaton I consider better. Plus, your map has had more attention since it got uploaded on Megaton than the majority of other maps (check the number of views, downloads and the 'most popular this week' section).
What I also mean is that, I've always hated the whole 'RATE UP!!!' spam on Internet in general and it's something we definitly don't need in DN3D. There is asking for feedback and there is 'Rate my map up! My map is the best thing ever I'm telling you it deserves it! Btw did you rate my map up?'

View PostPaul B, on 02 March 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

the subway car that ran parallel with another subway car with aliens on it. Soooo Cool!

When I saw that I was like "Damnit", because I'm planning to do something very similar in one of my maps (except it's not with subway cars). But anyway I've got at least 3 other maps to finish before going back to THAT map (If I ever go back to it).
This being said I thought it was cool but not well done enough, for one thing it was too short. You didn't even have time to kill all the aliens, also, they were hardly even shooting back and if I hadn't shot first they wouldn't even have noticed me. It's cool but it could have been done better, the main problem because how short it was, by the time you realize what's going on half of the sequence is already past.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

• Honored Donor

I can kill all the aliens with a shotgun. That area was more for the concept than for the gameplay. I find duke to be really inflexible when it comes to vehicle stuff and problems would have come up if I made it any longer. There's nothing stopping you from pushing the button again and trying for another go Posted Image

Yeah that Duke Hard thing is cool, but I was asking more for a cool idea which would fit as a very large map.

And fair point with the rate up thing. Although I think I'm within reason to want my guide to good maps to be rated up to make it more visible, since it can actually make a positive difference to both mappers and players.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMicky C, on 02 March 2014 - 02:52 AM, said:

I can kill all the aliens with a shotgun. That area was more for the concept than for the gameplay. I find duke to be really inflexible when it comes to vehicle stuff and problems would have come up if I made it any longer. There's nothing stopping you from pushing the button again and trying for another go Posted Image

Yeah, even though I had a similar idea I haven't even tried building it yet. I knew it would cause problems though. But perhaps it could work better if the other alien vehicule is closer and if there is no sector in between their feet and Duke (if you can see their feet). I think the main problem with this kind of section with moving stuff though is how projectile weapons can't work due to auto aim.... Perhaps it would work better with autoaim off.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 March 2014 - 02:59 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

If you're already working, or even just planning, on something that you learn someone else did before you, you should never change your plans imo. The likelihood of it being identical is very small, plus I think it would just end up hurting your productivity and end product if you start looking at everything and comparing it to your own thing.

Yeah, I just outright steal people's ideas anyway - like my Clock from Apogee Towers, which ended up in Quantum Physics, which originated from this CBP. That probably only exists because CraigFatman had one in Last Pissed Time... Although my one is better because if you're going to use an idea that's already been done, you should try to innovate upon it in some way; in this case, he made a 1 hour clock, I made a 24-hour one that will loop over (though it is a few seconds slow after 24 hours) - in fact it could be expanded to list days, weeks, months, years, decades, whatever.

On the subject of this map, it seems to have turned out alright, I think I've seen it that much by now the magic is gone, especially the pieces I had to keep combing over to find overlapping walls and conflicting tags that broke my goddamn waves. Basically, I can't think of anything to say.

Good work guys.

• Honored Donor

Well the map's rating is visible and it's 3/5 Posted Image

I know it's not worth a 5/5, but I think a 4/5 is reasonable, I hope people don't get put off by the map now. I'm trying to comprehend how some people would rate up maps like Duke City but when it comes to some proper maps with actual detail and gameplay they get a downvote. I'm actually baffled.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMicky C, on 04 March 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

Well the map's rating is visible and it's 3/5 Posted Image

I know it's not worth a 5/5, but I think a 4/5 is reasonable, I hope people don't get put off by the map now. I'm trying to comprehend how some people would rate up maps like Duke City but when it comes to some proper maps with actual detail and gameplay they get a downvote. I'm actually baffled.

Micky don't get too hung up on one person's rating. I thought the map was fantastic! Also, something I failed to mention but was so obvious through out the map was the attention to shading and lighting. I mean there were some things in there that I had never seen before like swinging door shading when the door opens it blocks the light. That was incredible! Even the fence cast a shadow. This map was an easy 5 /5 for me. I enjoyed this map a lot, it was well thought out, the battles were well planned it was a great adventure and I'd recommend this map to anyone who plays Duke. Being that I'm very familiar with your style of mapping it was a treat to play this map because I knew exactly what areas you did. I also knew where to find hidden stashes of items. Like that atomic health in the restaurant box on the counter. I'm pretty sure I knew every area which you did which was cool because your style is very unique and consistent.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 04 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

• Honored Donor

I'm not so much put off by the rating itself as much as that there may be some people who choose not to play it as a result of the rating who would have actually enjoyed it. But I guess the smart ones will decide for themselves whether or not to play it.

And you mean sliding door shading right? Yeah I put that in the dam at the last minute and thought it was pretty cool, I've never seen anything like it in a Duke map either.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

User is offline   underTaker 

Hmm, I just have looked at the ratings and I'm really confused of how does it actually assigns the rating? 25 positive votes, 1 negative, and the rating is 3/5 stars. Either I'm dumb or the rating system is weird.

• Honored Donor

Well now it's 27 positive ratings and 1 negative rating for 4/5 stars.

But you're right; 25 to 1 giving a 3 star rating is really weird. I had assumed that a half/third of the ratings had been negative from the score.

Maybe someone with a more insider knowledge on how steam works could shed some light?

User is offline   Kyanos 

It's pretty simple. Up vote +1 down vote -1. Over 25 now I assume is when you get a rating, always 3 stars, then over 30 - 40 is it hits 4. I think Lunick once said 50 total points will get 5 stars.

User is offline   Lunick 

Yes... how many times do I have to explain the system :blink: You need 25 votes total to get any stars which starts at 3 and then increases with the more positive votes you have.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 04 March 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

And you mean sliding door shading right? Yeah I put that in the dam at the last minute and thought it was pretty cool, I've never seen anything like it in a Duke map either.

play more of Puritan's maps then. he also does that trick with swinging doors

User is offline   underTaker 

I still think the rating system is weird :S

User is offline   MetHy 

Yes it's a terrible rating system which favors vague 'popularity' and for how long the map has been up rather than quality. The worst thing about it is that it's misleading : when you read "3/5 stars" you'd think the map was graded 3/5 overall by people, but it's not the case at all since it's a black or white system. If they wanted to have been consistent with their up/down vote system they should simply show the number of votes instead of a fake rating.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options