Duke4.net Forums: Latest Gearbox lawsuit against 3DR (Feb 2014) - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Latest Gearbox lawsuit against 3DR (Feb 2014)  "Welp"

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDukeNukem64, on 24 May 2015 - 01:19 AM, said:

Well Shit. I hope 3D Realms won something in court because 5+ million for the whole trial? They have money but that is a high amount for a small company.

Sadly, probably not. They may have been using a loser pays legal fees system, which is probably why 3D Realms took the route of settling to avoid further hemorrhaging.

And if the legal fees are that much, imagine how much the IP is.

Exactly my point on the last point major.
R.I.P Duke.

User is offline   trustn0! 

View PostDukeNukem64, on 24 May 2015 - 01:19 AM, said:

Well Shit. I hope 3D Realms won something in court because 5+ million for the whole trial?

Call me blind, but where did you get the 5+million from? The way im reading it, the fee was only 5 thousand something.

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 24 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Wait, is that so? That's what I get for just taking someone at their word.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Posttrustn0!, on 24 May 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

Call me blind, but where did you get the 5+million from? The way im reading it, the fee was only 5 thousand something.

That five thousand figure refers to the fee paid to the mediator. I have no idea where five million came from.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Five millions is a bit ridiculous for a lawsuit.

I was supposed to type 3+ millions however I just noticed both the , and the . which makes the 5k you were talking about. Carneval is tough I guess.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Lol, I wonder if they paid that directly to Gbx if that would cover the profits of 3 DNFs and they would get the IP back?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 26 May 2015 - 01:53 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Remember kids, buying a game from Gearbox is like selling your soul to the Devil for a doughnut. No matter how tasteful that doughnut looks, you know it's not worth it.

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

Borderlands isnt a bad game actually. you just hate them cuz they own your ip. which is also not there fault... untill i see a shitty duke game made from scratch by gearbox not hating them.

• Polymancer

But, but.... we're talking about DONUTS here!

I personally can't stand Borderlands. I've played it about 5 times and it always seems to be the same stuff, critters and levels over and over again. It's a lot more expansive and detailed than RAGE, but it has none of the heart, humour, excitement or drama of the id shooter. It's like a 3D version of Candy Crush where you run around shooting things and gathering loot.

View PostTea Monster, on 17 June 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

It's a lot more expansive and detailed than RAGE, but it has none of the heart, humour, excitement or drama of the id shooter. It's like a 3D version of Candy Crush where you run around shooting things and gathering loot.

RAGE had any of that? All i got out of it was a piss poor attempt to rip off Fallout and Mad Max with blurry graphics, a mission structure that makes pac man seem innovative, repetitive combat encounters, claustrophobic environments that only exacerbated the graphical issues, no story and it still somehow managed to have a shit ending.
That game ate a platter of dicks and is the sole reason why i ain't bothering with Doom 4.

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 17 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Raged has problems, but no. Just fuck no, to most of what you said.

User is offline   Jblade 

care to put a bit more effort into a rebuttal than that? From what little I played Rage felt fairly souless.

• Polymancer

RAGE does have problems, and it gets a lot of things wrong, but compared to Borderlands, and it's half-assed attempts, it's Golden.

View PostTea Monster, on 18 June 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

RAGE does have problems, and it gets a lot of things wrong, but compared to Borderlands, and it's half-assed attempts, it's Golden.

As someone who had high hopes for RAGE(preorder and all) and didn't complete the original Borderlands until early 2012, i wholeheartedly disagree. RAGE felt lifeless and utterly inept. My greatest disappointment of the past console generation.

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 18 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

some pp llike borderlands some ppl dont. but most love it hate to break it to ya. gearbox is running shit with it. and you would think that it helps out with duke becuz if they have alot of money they can "risk" it for duke. stop your complaning borderlands is a top class game. have you played co op ? cuz thats where the real fun is!

Dont get me wrong now.... not my fav game. i just want a new max payne something better then max payne 3 though it wasnt bad its just not the max payne style i wanted other games can jump a cliff i could care less

This post has been edited by Max Payne: 19 June 2015 - 07:42 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I hope 3DR never owns the Duke IP again. They couldn't produce DNF after years, and now they have no development team. I don't know why anyone thinks they could be responsible with a good Duke game.

EDIT: NEVERMIND I just remembered Interceptor bought the company.

This post has been edited by Nopony: 19 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMax Payne, on 19 June 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

some pp llike borderlands some ppl dont. but most love it hate to break it to ya. gearbox is running shit with it. and you would think that it helps out with duke becuz if they have alot of money they can "risk" it for duke. stop your complaning borderlands is a top class game. have you played co op ? cuz thats where the real fun is!

For me, the reasons I don't trust Gearbox ShovelSoftware is never be just they taken Duke IP. That's because they still don't have signs to try make a decent Duke game at all.

Yeah, they may can't help with DNF's problems but after their fail at A:CM then I don't know how I can think Gearbox can make good Duke or other games like Borderlands, since they seems only put all their manpowers and resources with Borderlands series only.
(They don't even have other new games for their other own-house IPs, like Brother In Arms series, the mobile series are nothing to do with Gearbox, and the 2010 one just...so-so.)

Yes, if Gearbox prove me they can do a better Duke game then I will accept and may go back to try Borderlands series again...but not before it actually happens.

View PostNopony, on 19 June 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

I hope 3DR never owns the Duke IP again. They couldn't produce DNF after years, and now they have no development team. I don't know why anyone thinks they could be responsible with a good Duke game.
company.

The old 3DR isn't exist anymore.
I see your edited message, of course.
(But it's not Interceptor buy 3DR, it's the investor behind Interceptor bought 3DR actually.)

But Interceptor still needed prove their skills on Bombshell first.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 19 June 2015 - 08:03 PM

• Polymancer

The CEO of Take-Two has said that issuing DNF was a "... misguided decision". So the likely hood of GBX developing a new Duke game under these circumstances is somewhere between a negative number equal to the temperature of liquid helium, and the likelyhood of Stephen Hawking joining the Hell's Angels. Under these circumstances, the new Interceptor, no matter what you think of them, are the only people crazy enough to make a new Duke game.

If nothing else, they might have a more relaxed attitude to modding so that fans could make some interesting things in modern engines.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 20 June 2015 - 12:24 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I also imagine that Interceptor if given the chance would try to make what they think is a good Duke game as opposed to Gearbox who would probably still try to pander to the lowest common denominator to appeal to the mass crowd.

Btw yes Rage had its share of problems but overall I enjoyed the game. It had an ok post-apocalyptic atmosphere and the combat itself was quite good, at least in terms of the gunplay. Good enemy AI and a good feel/balance to the weapons.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 20 June 2015 - 12:45 AM

View PostTea Monster, on 20 June 2015 - 12:23 AM, said:

The CEO of Take-Two has said that issuing DNF was a "... misguided decision"

That can be dissected many ways but I think that comment was about the overall handling of 3D Realms' development and ultimately releasing the game in the state it was in. I don't believe it referred to Duke's future. DNF made a profit so it wouldn't really make since to toss him out just yet. The game didn't deliver the Duke we all know and love so the fan base still exists and is waiting.

• Polymancer

You could cut many different ways, but my take on it was that there isn't much hope of there being a new Duke game from GBX anytime in the next decade or so.

I'd love to eat my words, but GBX wouldn't be in talks to sell the IP if they had a Duke game in production.

I share those doubts but being a beer half-full person, GBX setting a high price on the buy back may mean that they are serious about a Duke game and the only way they'd sell it back if it was for that substantial amount. Or they could be pure evil, I really don't know.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostTea Monster, on 21 June 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

I'd love to eat my words, but GBX wouldn't be in talks to sell the IP if they had a Duke game in production.

They aren't in talks to sell the IP to anyone that I know of.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I'm quite surprised Duke was never a character class in Borderlands

User is offline   Fox 

Gearbox:

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

HAHAHA you suck Fox. I was hoping to post that video at an opportune time as well. :)

This post has been edited by Nopony: 26 June 2015 - 08:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options