Duke4.net Forums: Latest Gearbox lawsuit against 3DR (Feb 2014) - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Latest Gearbox lawsuit against 3DR (Feb 2014)  "Welp"

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

People attempt to make free, modern versions of their favorite old games only to get hit with cease and desist letters all the time. Those people aren't threats, either, but it still happens. Gearbox is already demonstrating with this lawsuit they're not at all above doing the same kind of shit, and with A:CM they've shown that they're cut from the same cloth as many other companies these days. You're half-right that they don't want to take gambles, but for this reason: they'll only sink money into things they feel certain will succeed while draining it from riskier projects. If Gearbox makes another game it will likely be a franchise they've already worked with, or another current and well-established IP.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostAlan, on 26 February 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

People attempt to make free, modern versions of their favorite old games only to get hit with cease and desist letters all the time. Those people aren't threats, either, but it still happens. Gearbox is already demonstrating with this lawsuit they're not at all above doing the same kind of shit, and with A:CM they've shown that they're cut from the same cloth as many other companies these days. You're half-right that they don't want to take gambles, but for this reason: they'll only sink money into things they feel certain will succeed while draining it from riskier projects. If Gearbox makes another game it will likely be a franchise they've already worked with, or another current and well-established IP.

Yes, they send them a letter. They don't buy their stuff for millions of dollars.
Also, they've stated that they're working on new IP.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postnecroslut, on 26 February 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

I don't think this sounds very likely in this case. 3DR was hardly a threat to anybody, without Gearbox buying it the game would probably never had seen the light of day. I'm sure they'll get around to it, but they're probably waiting for the hate to die down a bit plus they're occupied with other things.

Nobody's going to forget about it. The hate may die down, but it'll come right back if they even hint at the possibility of another Duke game. People waited 12+ years for DNF. It's not the kind of thing you just forget about no matter how much time has passed, especially in this case.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 February 2014 - 06:32 AM

I don't think so, there are people outside Duke4.net. If it looks good enough, people will get it. Duke's still a big enough name to get attention.
I think people could percieve it as a "Duke Nukem done right this time" thing, sort of what happened with the DNF 2013 mod.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 26 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

If no one else, the media will be sure to point it all out again.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostAlan, on 26 February 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

People attempt to make free, modern versions of their favorite old games only to get hit with cease and desist letters all the time. Those people aren't threats, either, but it still happens.

3DR sent out C&Ds all the time for Duke related material made on other game engines.

Gearbox is already demonstrating with this lawsuit they're not at all above doing the same kind of shit

Yes, damn Gearbox for protecting their own IP against people who were unauthorized to use it and planned to profit from it!

:blink:

This post has been edited by Zor: 26 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 February 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

If no one else, the media will be sure to point it all out again.

They're even more easily wowed by hype and fancy graphics than anyone.

• The Sarien Encounter

I just don't believe it would be 100% positive coverage or even 70% given the IP's blunderous history.

If the game is decent enough, the presentation is impressive enough, and they play their cards right with the launch and marketing I absolutely think they could pull it off.
It's even possible that the series' recent history might help them, as it wouldn't be too difficult to be seen as an all-around improvement over DNF.
The Gearbox name still holds some glamour because of their ridiculously popular Borderlands. It doesn't really appear like the DNF and Colonial Marines fiascos have affected them much at all, surprisingly. They should be very careful about things like delays, buggy launches and overpromising though.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 26 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I wish there wasn't a stupid countdown to reveal Critical Mass, that way they could've released information and screenshots and/or a trailer, that way Gearbox would've filed suit after the fact.
But no, gotta countdown to a reveal because nothing is better than announcing a game which will come out at a later date than like counting down to the reveal itself.
I mad

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

View PostZor, on 26 February 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

3DR sent out C&Ds all the time for Duke related material made on other game engines.

3D Realms also had every intent to keep developing with the IP. In the cases where someone was making a free product, I don't believe they were in the right unless it was shamelessly ripping all of the available materials.

View PostZor, on 26 February 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Yes, damn Gearbox for protecting their own IP against people who were unauthorized to use it and planned to profit from it!

Just because something is legal doesn't make it right. You're glossing over the "why" because you feel only the "what" is important. This line of thinking is as dangerous as it is narrow.

This post has been edited by Alan: 27 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostAlan, on 27 February 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

3D Realms also had every intent to keep developing with the IP.

Just because they haven't announced something yet doesn't mean they aren't planning something.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it right.

Just because Gearbox hasn't released a new Duke game yet doesn't make it right for someone else to take the IP without permission and develop a new game. Even if they were the original IP holder.

I've seen people bring up "morality" about this lawsuit before. Yet their arguments were nothing more than them wanting a new Duke Nukem game and how much they hate Gearbox. They don't really care who is right or wrong.

You're glossing over the "why" because you feel only the "what" is important.

No. I'm not. I thought about the "whys" and the "hows".

From what I read in the lawsuit 3DR thought they still had permission to finish the Duke Trilogy that Apogee was originally working on, but that actually expired in 2010. 3DR admitted they were in the wrong.

This post has been edited by Zor: 27 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

If I were Gearbox I would be very careful about announcing (or even hinting at) a new Duke game prematurely. They need to play this one perfectly.
If a handfult of hardcore Duke fans feel ignored doesn't matter that much.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 27 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

User is offline   Cage 

Hey, could someone clear this up for me? What is the actual deal between 3DR and Gearbox?

So far, I thought that Duke's IP has been bought out, leaving 3dRealms the rights to the old games (Like Duke3d) and to make 3 new games based on Duke's IP, Critical Mass being the first.

EDIT: BAh, there's a read on this on Duke4 that I've missed. Never mind :blink:

This post has been edited by Cage: 28 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

Yes. This. An explanation please.

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Whats the latest on this lawsuit, any one knows ?

No one knows what the latest is 3DRealms and Gearbox properly still batting out over the Ip, Hope the new 3DRealms wins the fight and gets Duke back! :D

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 20 April 2015 - 06:37 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostBugsBunny, on 20 April 2015 - 06:28 AM, said:

Whats the latest on this lawsuit, any one knows ?

When It's Done.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Damn, I thought all that crap was sorted already.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I stopped caring.

User is offline   Lunick 

I'll just drop this here http://www.scribd.co...ponse-Objection

Posted Image

The bottom scene is what was going to be from the reveal trailer but was hastily replaced with Bombshell. Viper still has the old Bombshell video and can probably confirm

This post has been edited by Lunick: 04 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

I really haven't read the whole thing, Couple of friends told me that Gearbox is winning is that True? :D

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 06 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

• Polymancer

It's quite clear from the papers that 3DR retained rights to a certain number of games that were existing before the sale of DNF. Either GBX don't believe that this is one of those old projects, or they are just trying to be arsey about it all.

More Pictures
http://forums.3dreal...5879#post965879

plus more information I think
http://www.scribd.co....ertainment-ApS

it was uploaded on 3DRealms By DirtyFexen

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 07 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

"Word up, I'm general graves..." The antiquity of the dialogue proves my client's game was in development before Gearbox acquired any rights. :D

Posted Image

View PostTurok 64 Jr, on 07 May 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

More Pictures
http://forums.3dreal...5879#post965879

plus more information I think
http://www.scribd.co....ertainment-ApS

it was uploaded on 3DRealms By DirtyFexen

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Does this mean 3D Realms can buy Duke back? I don't know I ain't a fucking lawyer.
Posted Image

I don't know what to think about this, at first I was furious at the idea of New 3D Realms owning Duke cause I don't want to see Duke go dark, gritty, realistic and brown & grey, but then I saw these leaked shots and saw that their game didn't look as shit as Fred made it sound, I don't know what to think about New 3D Realms possibly buying back Duke.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 07 May 2015 - 10:36 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It sounds like they want 3D Realms to return the money Gearbox wasted on DNF?

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 May 2015 - 11:05 PM

• Polymancer

Read the damn thing, it's in English, not Latin.

They are willing to sell, but they are charging 3DR for the revenue they would loose from three Duke games, plus Dev costs on DNF.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 07 May 2015 - 11:30 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

In other words it's an incredibly long-winded way of saying of "a lot of fucking money"

• Polymancer

A long-winded way of saying "Maybe your great grandchildren will get to play a new Duke game when the copyright expires in the later half of this Century"

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options