Duke4.net Forums: Latest Gearbox lawsuit against 3DR (Feb 2014) - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Latest Gearbox lawsuit against 3DR (Feb 2014)  "Welp"

User is offline   Echo Black 

The plot thickens and the drama never ends

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Already posted over here.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Fuck Gearbox. They should either make their own Duke game or STFU. And there's no indication they have the slightest interest in making a Duke game at the moment.

And what's up with this line?

Gearbox Software said, "As the filing shows, 3DR's wrongdoing is both admitted and unfortunate for everyone who cares about Duke Nukem."

Are they acknowledging that they suck at making Duke games?

User is offline   Kathy 

How many Duke Nukem games they've made?

• Honored Donor

Who? Anyway the answer to both developers is technically zero. But Gearbox's statement can be taken to mean that it's unfortunate for Duke fans that they're the only ones allowed to make Duke games.

And you'd think that 3DR would have been very careful to make sure Gearbox was on board with this before deciding on making a new game.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 23 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Its unfortunate that Gearbox ended up with the rights to Duke Nukem.

GOD I fucking hate Gearbox.

User is offline   Jblade 

I'm really confused why they went ahead making this on an official capacity if they didn't actual have legal rights to it? I fucking hate copyright law bullshit and all that, but looking at it from a legal point of view it seems that they are actually at fault here? I remember there was the clusterfuck of unpaid royalties on DNF though, so maybe the two lawsuites will collide and everybody will crash and burn horribly so that Duke becomes public domain and we can crowd-source to hire John St John and make an actually amazing gam-

sorry I was dreaming there, this'll end with nothing and Duke will probably go further down the drain :blink:

View PostJames, on 23 February 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

I'm really confused why they went ahead making this on an official capacity if they didn't actual have legal rights to it? I fucking hate copyright law bullshit and all that, but looking at it from a legal point of view it seems that they are actually at fault here? I remember there was the clusterfuck of unpaid royalties on DNF though, so maybe the two lawsuites will collide and everybody will crash and burn horribly so that Duke becomes public domain and we can crowd-source to hire John St John and make an actually amazing gam-

sorry I was dreaming there, this'll end with nothing and Duke will probably go further down the drain :blink:

I am still just one big questionmark.. Why the hell would 3D Realms work with Interceptor if they don't have any rights? What the hell.. Something is seriously wrong here.

User is offline   LkMax 

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just a shitty marketing strategy using Duke's shitty IP history since DNF.
It all sound too stupid to be true (or maybe I should give more credit to people stupidity).
WTF?

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Well, the fact that the website and Facebook page is still up is what gets me. If this is real, then 3DR/Interceptor are putting up a resistance. I can't picture Gearbox being involved in a marketing stunt like this, though.

It could be 3D Realms was thinking "man, where was Interceptor in the days of Duke Nukem Forever" and just couldn't help attempting a new Duke game with their new developer friends, not trusting Gearbox would make a game.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I really just don't believe it, especially after they were all such assholes to the modding community.

http://www.polygon.c...ptor-duke-nukem

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTea Monster, on 23 February 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

According to the complaint, Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction has a release date of Feb. 25, 2014.

Wat? Hasn't the thinking been that the countdown is to an official announcement?

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostMicky C, on 22 February 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

Fuck Gearbox. They should either make their own Duke game or STFU. And there's no indication they have the slightest interest in making a Duke game at the moment.

:blink:

If 3DR and Interceptor are illegally using the Duke Nukem IP, then Gearbox is right in suing them.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Hahahah, if it was really meant to be released on the 25th, that means it was some shit-tier casual pleb game.

User is offline   Lunick 

It's just bad reporting. I've had people add me on Steam and ask how I deciphered the text on the website :blink:

User is offline   Hank 

View PostJimmy, on 23 February 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Hahahah, if it was really meant to be released on the 25th, that means it was some shit-tier casual pleb game.

Nailed it. I doubt anyone is that stupid and making a real good game knowing they can't release it.
3D Realms already issued a cease and desist agreement a view days ago, why continue? To play the poor developer being beat up by the Big Kid on the block? Fuck them all.

• Honored Donor

So it's absolutely 100% not coming out now?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 23 February 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

So it's absolutely 100% not coming out now?

I don't think anyone can say for certain what will happen.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Who cares? It was a terrible idea anyway.

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

WHAT!? ANOTHER ONE!!??

Jeez how many lawsuits has 3DR had now? Why did this have to happen? So I take the newly announced Duke is no longer gonna happen?

Damn this sucks donkey balls! But what's bugging me is why would 3DR make anything without the legal rights to do so? Didn't they think that would cause trouble? Whatever I HATE Gearbox now. Bang goes there good relationship.

I hate Gearbox with a passion and I totally disagree with this move of theirs but let this one small thing be known!
If there is one positive thing FOR ME and ONLY ME out of this news, then that would be the fact that Fresch is getting humiliated for having associated himself with 3drealms and now he's getting sued along with his interceptor group...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 24 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Before you wish any ill on him, he and his studio were the only people to actually step up and commit to a professional Duke game. However misguided the attempt may have been in hindsight, consider that before you all board the hate train.

User is offline   -Rhetro- 

View PostTea Monster, on 24 February 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Before you wish any ill on him, he and his studio were the only people to actually step up and commit to a professional Duke game. However misguided the attempt may have been in hindsight, consider that before you all board the hate train.

Fresch has brought all this on himself. He has stepped up twice now and fumbled and bumbled it both times. If I was GBX I would be so annoyed with them by this point I might bury the Duke IP for another 10 years. Fresch has made this situation exponentially worse, however its not just him, blame should go to all parties. Interceptor and 3DR included. He has tried to play the big man, the big hero, most likely to rub his own ego, and now looks a fool. You step up, heavy is the crown, you better be capable of carrying it.

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

As this major news, I can, post again to my harts content. Miss me guys?

No I wanna ask y'all if you think the proper way to head off a flame war about Fresch, is to troll indiscriminately?

This post has been edited by Duel: 25 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

View Posthismasterplan, on 23 February 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

It could be 3D Realms was thinking "man, where was Interceptor in the days of Duke Nukem Forever" and just couldn't help attempting a new Duke game with their new developer friends, not trusting Gearbox would make a game.

View PostTea Monster, on 23 February 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

I really just don't believe it, especially after they were all such assholes to the modding community.

http://www.polygon.c...ptor-duke-nukem

Gearbox bought the IP knowing they would stand to make a lot of cash since little of their own money went into developing it and it had been riding the hype train for over a decade (and we know from A:CM the kinds of tricks they're willing to pull for cash). To be honest, the zeitgeist of gaming has largely moved on. A character like Duke Nukem would probably not be successful in the mainstream market, especially after how terribly DNF did. Gearbox knowingly bought the IP for the money and to hold it over other developers who might want to touch it. The latter might sound like a bit of a stretch, but remember that this is hardly an unheard of practice in the industry - a Blood sequel and its source will never see the light of day, but you bet if someone tried they would get C&D letters in a heartbeat.

TL;DR: Gearbox will probably never make a AAA tier Duke Nukem game because they're shrewd businessmen rather than developers.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostAlan, on 25 February 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

a Blood sequel and its source will never see the light of day, but you bet if someone tried they would get C&D letters in a heartbeat.

I kind of dare someone to put Blood up on some kind of store. Strife has been illegally put on several stores such as Amazon and the Mac and iOS App Stores https://itunes.apple...430142043?mt=12 and no legal party has attempted to take it down.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 25 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Definitely not unheard of. It's what has been happening to Sierra's old IPs since its first buyout. And now there's Disney's ownership of LucasArts who have no intention of doing anything with Indiana Jones, let alone Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island.

User is offline   necroslut 

I don't think this sounds very likely in this case. 3DR was hardly a threat to anybody, without Gearbox buying it the game would probably never had seen the light of day. I'm sure they'll get around to it, but they're probably waiting for the hate to die down a bit plus they're occupied with other things.
Also, Gearbox isn't a huge publisher like in most of those cases. I don't think they have the cash to spare for stunts like that.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 26 February 2014 - 05:19 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options