Duke4.net Forums: lightning model? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

lightning model?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Does anyone know where I can get a lightning bolt model in md3 format? Preferably animated. With the right model I can code a proper lightning gun. I'm not requesting that anyone make one, I'm just too lazy to look around and see what's out there. For all I know, there's already something like that in the HRP.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

Effects like lightning are usually achieved with flat planes not models :blink:

User is offline   LkMax 

Yes, the only game that I know that uses 3D models for effects is Quake II un-modded, and it looks ugly as hell. wouldn't recommend going that way.

EDIT: Actually, disregard that comment.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 17 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Steveeeie, on 15 February 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

Effects like lightning are usually achieved with flat planes not models :blink:

A flat plane could be either a sprite or a model. Sprites are no good for this because they will look like stair steps when the player fires at an up/down angle (sprites cannot be sloped in EDuke32 last time I checked). A flat plane model would work fine, I agree.

LkMax, on 15 February 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

Yes, the only game that I know that uses 3D models for effects is Quake II un-modded, and it looks ugly as hell. wouldn't recommend going that way.

The original Quake, Megaman Legends 1 and 2, Starfox 64, Gradius 5, quite a few PSX and PS2 games as well. it's all about understanding how to use models to your advantage.

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 15 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

A quicky, just few noise-animated splines with fixed endpoints. The deflines should be somethinglike this:
Spoiler

The bolts are two-sided to work correctly in polymer. There are 4 bolts, any of each can be removed via MD3Compiler to achieve more clean look.

Attached File(s)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks, Roma! I'll try to get that in-game this weekend, if I can find the time. I'll post a video if it goes well. :blink:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Commander hates me, LOL.

So I have instances of the model chaining together to look like a long lightning bolt when the weapon is fired, and they pitch correctly depending on the z axis (yay). But all the instances display the same frame of animation at the same time, which doesn't look good. Need to figure out a way to make it so the instances aren't synced, even though they spawn at the same time. This would be easy if the animation wasn't defined on the same tile number. Maybe that's the only solution.

Yes, you have to write DEF file in which tile numbers are linked to a single frame (or a small group)

Assuming the bolt gots 10 frames in its animations, it is usually:
   anim  { frame0 "frame0" frame1 "frame10" fps 5 flags 0 }
   frame { name "frame0" tile0 5400 tile1 5409 }

You have to do:
   frame { name "frame0" tile 5400  smoothduration X }  // smoothduration could be skipped or set to low values
   frame { name "frame1" tile 5401  smoothduration X }
   frame { name "frame2" tile 5402  smoothduration X }

Then you need to declare the action. Maybe you have already experienced that action doesn't work on projectiles, and you need to set a counter var and "hard code" action working (i usually do with ACT0, ACT1, ACT2 etc or use tspr member )

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 15 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

You can draw a lightning by means of HUD graphics as well (unless you need a third-person view or multiplayer mode support). Just measure the distance the ray will propagate via hitscan and draw the corresponding part of the lightning. I bet there won't be any clipping problems, also compatible with 8-bit mode.

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 15 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

CraigFatman, on 15 February 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

You can draw a lightning by means of HUD graphics as well (unless you need a third-person view or multiplayer mode support). Just measure the distance the ray will propagate via hitscan and draw the corresponding part of the lightning. I bet there won't be any clipping problems, also compatible with 8-bit mode.

That sounds wonderful but I would have to copy your code since I don't have the technical knowledge to code it myself. Your method may be superior, but I don't feel comfortable adding a new kind of tech into the mod at this point. I will go ahead and split up the animation of the model into different tiles, as RS was saying.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Here's what I've got so far:

Still need to code the upgrades and some other related stuff, but that's basically how it will look.

Weapon sprites are by Cage (originally for WGR2), lightning model by Roma Loom.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Sorry for the offtopic DT, but have you seen the screentext command that I wrote back in May? I remember you asked for some of the stuff it does way back on 3DR.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hendricks266, on 16 February 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

Sorry for the offtopic DT, but have you seen the screentext command that I wrote back in May? I remember you asked for some of the stuff it does way back on 3DR.

Wow, that's an impressive list of features. If I ever want to use angled text or anything fancy like that I will try using it. I'd rather not rewrite my existing text code, though.

User is offline   Jblade 

Looks cool! You should ask Cage if he could take out the animated part of the gunsprite and then you could put it in a new tile and make it stay bright independant of the rest of the gun (or pulse in brightness sort of like the shrinker)

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

That is fucking awesome Dan, very good :blink:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

James, on 17 February 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

Looks cool! You should ask Cage if he could take out the animated part of the gunsprite and then you could put it in a new tile and make it stay bright independant of the rest of the gun (or pulse in brightness sort of like the shrinker)

That's a good idea. To be honest, I hadn't noticed a need for that until you mentioned it, even after using the weapon sprites in WGR2 for years. But now that you pointed it out, it bothers me. If Cage is reading this and volunteers, I would be happy to incorporate the weapon animation as a fullbright overlay. Otherwise, I may try to do it myself.

User is offline   Mark 

Just my opinion, but I think the muzzle flash looks out of place for this type of weapon. Otherwise, its way cool.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Mark., on 18 February 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

Just my opinion, but I think the muzzle flash looks out of place for this type of weapon. Otherwise, its way cool.

Yeah you're probably right when it comes to the lightning firing mode, but the muzzle flash fits for the other firing mode. so I think I'll leave it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options