Duke4.net Forums: Mergers, Acquisitions and Takeovers of companies. - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mergers, Acquisitions and Takeovers of companies.  "Are you getting sick of them? Your take?"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostKathy, on 11 November 2018 - 12:36 AM, said:

Should I worry their games would disappear from GOG? Gearbox obviously removed Duke 3d, but that was more of an exception, I think. No Microsoft games on GOG, though.

Gearbox removed Duke3d from gog, & megaton from steam, because they intended for WT to be the only official version & keep 3rd party companies from profiting off the i.p.

They fucked up the controls & didn't include a modding tool, so it flopped.

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 November 2018 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

So if Gearbox bought 3d Realms we probably wouldn't have this problem with previous releases?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostKathy, on 11 November 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

So if Gearbox bought 3d Realms we probably wouldn't have this problem with previous releases?

If microsoft had bought 3drealms we probably wouldn't have the current state of affairs we do. Randy is too scared to do anything with the Duke i.p. & too greedy to let modders make free stuff.
Microsoft usually doesn't kill off game franchises, they, more often than not, make more games for their ip's.
At least they did before Paul Allen died, so I don't know what their game-division ceo has planned for their new purchases.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

When Duke was first removed from GOG, they explicitly stated that "Duke would return" and said something to the effect of just changing around the title entry for proper royalties or something. To date there is no Duke Nukem game on GOG at all still.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 November 2018 - 11:20 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 November 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

When Duke was first removed from GOG, they explicitly stated that "Duke would return" and said something to the effect of just changing around the title entry for proper royalties or something. To date there is no Duke Nukem game on GOG at all still.

That's kinda my point - We can't compare microsoft's management and business decisions to gerbox's management and lack of promise keeping.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Would Gearbox be worried at all about the potential piracy of having Duke 3D on a DRM-free platform? I'm just wondering if that was a factor in their decision.

• The Sarien Encounter

They shouldn't have told GOG that Duke Nukem would return then if they never intended to.

Also, keeping games off GOG does not stop piracy.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMicky C, on 11 November 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

Would Gearbox be worried at all about the potential piracy of having Duke 3D on a DRM-free platform? I'm just wondering if that was a factor in their decision.

Most likely not. Homeworld series is selling on GOG.

Disney completes the acquisition of Fox. Now Disney owns the Simpsons, Family Guy, Alien, and Predator franchises.

https://www.gamespot...s/1100-6465703/

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 20 March 2019 - 05:21 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 20 March 2019 - 05:16 AM, said:

Disney completes the acquisition of Fox. Now Disney owns the Simpsons, Family Guy, Alien, Predator and last but not least, Fox News.

https://www.gamespot...s/1100-6465703/

Fox News stays independant from Disney, AFAIK.

EDIT, from the Article you linked:

"After the buyout, Fox will still live on, but in a more limited capacity. Fox is creating a spinoff unit that will continue to operate the Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox Sports, and the Fox Televisions Stations Group, along with the cable networks FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes, and Big Ten Network."

Also, from another article:
"Now that Fox Corp. has sold off most of its entertainment properties, it has become a standalone company that will retain ownership of its broadcast network, owned-and-operated network affiliates, the Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network and Fox Sports."

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 20 March 2019 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   Forge 

Fox news isn't any better than CNN or MSNBC.
They're all corporate owned tabloids.

• The Sarien Encounter

They also own X-Men and Fantastic Four movie rights. The question is will they continue to expand the current movie universe of X-Men which is the longest-running Marvel movie franchise (even longer than the MCU)? Will they merge X-Men with the MCU? Or will they just start over from scratch like Spiderman? It'll probably be the latter, though I hope we somehow get to see Hugh Jackman's Wolverine in an MCU movie (he said he'd come out of his Wolverine retirement for that).

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostDustFalcon85, on 10 November 2018 - 06:32 PM, said:

Microsoft acquires Obsidian Studios and InExile Entertainment.

Looks like I might not see a Fallout: New Vegas 2. Posted Image

Too little too late (just like I am with my post). Modern Obsidion lost its last talented person which was Avellone, the guy who could make even the most broken/bugged piece of shit actually good by writing a well-made story. I don't think they even have any worthwhile franchise either, most of the games they produced were using various third party licenses, I'd rather buy someone else. But yeah, this is Microsoft, they're not known for making good business decisions and whoever owned Obsidian just made a bank thanks to MS being suckers.

As for Fox, well, looks like Disney monopoly is getting bigger. Not sure if it's a bad thing though, in a sense that this wouldn't make any difference. American entertainment industry is already fucked, can't be any worse (I think?).

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 21 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

Posted Image

Rocket League developer Psyonix to be acquired by Epic Games.

https://www.gamespot...m/1100-6466602/

Microsoft acquires Double Fine Productions.

https://www.polygon....019-first-party

• The Sarien Encounter

Whoa. After all their work with Sony over the years.

BREAKING NEWS: Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media/Bethesda, meaning id Software, Bethesda Game Studios, Machine Games, Tango Gameworks are now under the Microsoft roof.

https://www.gamespot...mpaign=homepage

https://news.xbox.co...he-xbox-family/

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 21 September 2020 - 06:22 AM

View PostDustFalcon85, on 21 September 2020 - 06:19 AM, said:

Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media/Bethesda, meaning id Software, Bethesda Game Studios, Machine Games, Tango Gameworks are now under the Microsoft roof.

Can't tell if that's an improvement or not. What's worse, Microsoft or ZeniMax?.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 21 September 2020 - 10:50 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Maybe they'll cancel eachother out lol.

User is online   Lunick 

Gearbox has been purchased https://embracer.com...perating-group/

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

Interesting!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Nothing's gonna change. Randy will stay in charge of Gearbox, they just want to cash in on the Borderlands franchise, which is all Gearbox is ever going to do.

• The Sarien Encounter

^ What he said.

BREAKING NEWS: Microsoft acquires Activision-Blizzard for almost $70 billion dollars.

https://news.xbox.co...crosoft-gaming/

https://www.gamespot...n/1100-6499710/

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 18 January 2022 - 06:38 AM

User is offline   Forge 

i haven't followed this company much since bungie broke away; has activistion / blmizzard put out anything good in the last 5 years besides retro-removing boobs and skeletons from their older game titles?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I'm surprised Microsoft wants to touch that company given the ongoing controversy and I think still-ongoing court case? It sounds like a poisoned well to me, but then again Microsoft hasn't exactly been hiding how nakedly evil it wants to be.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The IP of Blizzard is still worth a lot, and I'm guessing stock in the company is relatively low due to the controversies making it a good time to buy. If I were Microsoft I would quietly downsize Blizzard and keep a low profile about it, then have the "New Blizzard!" pop up again in a few years with a big release that would be buoyed by the nostalgia factor.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Properly done remasters of old games, even ones that have been re-released recently, could go a long way to restore Blizzard's shine. If that's Microsoft's angle, it's a smart one. They certainly have the money and resources to make that happen. It could go either way, though.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 18 January 2022 - 01:33 PM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options