Duke4.net Forums: Meqon, Ageia And Duke - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Meqon, Ageia And Duke

User is offline   Spooger 

Ever since Meqon was bought out by Ageia, I've wondered about the status of DNF's middleware solution, and how 3DR was going to deal with it. I was surfing on Ageia's website a little earlier today, and discovered that under their list of developers - that is, the developers using Ageia's SDK - 3DR was nowhere to be found. This may or may not seem strange, except that I do recall Meqon making a fairly big deal on their old website about how 3DR had chosen to use their SDK. How strange it is then, that the same cannot be said for Ageia's website.

What do you suppose this indicates? Is Ageia simply not posting 3DR's name on their site for no particular reason -- an unlikely prospect. One of George's comments on 3DR's forums suggests that the idea of moving around to another SDK doesn't seem called for ("again"), but the fact that 3DR doesn't appear to be featured on Ageia's boat has me wondering.

For anyone curious, Meqon, Havoks and Ageia are the big players in the physics middleware races, but Ageia's acquirement of Meqon may have set things in their favor. The question remains: in all of this, where the heck is Duke? :)

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

No big deal... It can be found somewhere on Meqons offical website...
The reason is quite simple:
It's made by Meqon, not Ageia... So just because Meqon was bought by Ageia, it doesn't mean that they have given thier project over to ageia instead...

However, mentioneing it on thier site would be nice anyways, since Meqon is a part of Ageia anyways... :)

First the sad part: Meqon's site is pretty much dead. I mean, it's still there, but their only purpose now is to link to Ageia's website, and I'm pretty much positive that the 3DR logo no longer appears there.

And another sad part: I don't think it's in Ageia's best interests to "offer" Meqon to people once they've acquired it. Instead, what they've probably done, is taken the Meqon technology that they liked and integrated it into Ageia. On the one hand, this makes better middleware; on the other hand, it jerks the developers around (which is probably why George's post back when this happened didn't sound too happy).

Actually, if I've missed something and you found the 3DR logo on Ageia, or even Meqon's site, go ahead and link it to me. It's possible I just missed it, but then I searched fairly rigourously.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

Hmm, you seem to be right...
They removed all the stuff from Meqon.com...
And i see no word of 3DR nor DNF at Ageia...
They're mentioning Unreal Technology in general though, and DNF might be in that category...

However, even if that's the case, i think they should'e Mentioned 3DR anyways... Epic has nothing to do with DNF anyways... :)

Yup. It's definately strange. Stranger still, their list of developers ranges from prolific to not-so-stupendous, and 3DR - despite their quirky rep with gamers - should be considered a prolific, if not a groundbreaking establishment. I'm positive that their name would be listed on Ageia's website if they had the permission of 3DR, which may mean that they don't.

And what that means, I know not!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options