Duke4.net Forums: CBP Episode 'Duke Hard' - Duke4.net Forums

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

CBP Episode 'Duke Hard'  "One building, one map(per) per floor, small maps"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So Methy my coop activation sector was simply a side sector with a 1 sided blocking wall, feel free to convert the thing into an isolated teleporting sector if that'll make it consistent with the other maps.

some maps have taken a considerable step up in quality.

Yay, that means my map is even further behind in details!

User is offline   MetHy 

I thought your coop stuff was pretty smart. It's fine as it is, no need to overcomplicate things.

Also it's not a competition, and for what it's worth I think every map in the episode is really good in its own way.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMetHy, on 19 June 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

Also it's not a competition, and for what it's worth I think every map in the episode is really good in its own way.

i.e. Forge's map sucks, but we need it to keep the numbers up

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Looks like there's a competition between me and Forge for the crappiest map. It has its own special category in the upcoming 3DR mapping competition, and the winner gets a free copy of Duke Screw'em 38D and an "I Love Gearbox" T-shirt.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMickey C, on 19 June 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

Looks like there's a competition between me and Forge for the crappiest map. It has its own special category in the upcoming 3DR mapping competition, and the winner gets a free copy of Duke Screw'em 38D and an "I Love Gearbox" T-shirt.

I was always under the impression that whoever had the highest floor number had the best map. So I wonder who has floor 99? I'm pretty sure the 100th floor is the roof. so 99/100 would be pretty darn good =)

My map started out on the 99th floor but then after Methy beta tested it, he low balled it. Now i'm just shy of ground level.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 19 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

lol

BTW message to all mappers involved : some of you have already provided a short message about their map for the txt file; some of you have provided a whole regular map txt file, some haven't provided anything.

Obviously I can't provide a txt per map so I'll regroup everything in the one txt file of the episode, so there will be a small part about each map with the mapper's texts for it when provided.
So; if you have provided a whole txt file or if you haven't provided anything, please make a short version in just a few sentences of what you want to say about the map. If not, there will either be nothing (which isn't a big deal) or 'ill make a short few sentences version out of the 'regular map txt file' you've provided. Try to make it as short as possible, nobody would read a page of text per map when there are 17maps.
(if you've provided a short msg already i'll just use that)

Thanks!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 19 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

Hehe, my map text was pretty offensive as far as I remember - it was meant to be. Oh, wait;

Spoiler

Let's see;
The result of malfunctioning hardware and chronic depression, Poormann's Library is inspired by my dreams¹ and probably Japanese horror games. It features a freaky dimension, otherworldly environments and it's own soundtrack. It is intended to make the player feel a little disorientated.

¹ For anyone that wondered, my dreams have always looked like a cross between a decaying industrial-scape and the otherworld from the first Silent Hill game - even good ones.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Oh you used .00 for the times? I think I need to replay my map then.

User is offline   MetHy 

Some people provided time like that but I cut it as the seconds; because not everybody has, plus I don't think you can add time like that on the end level screen (only minutes and seconds)

User is offline   taivo30 

I don't remember if I sent my txt file or not. ^_^
So I'll send it again :)

Spoiler

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPaul B, on 19 June 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

I was always under the impression that whoever had the highest floor number had the best map. So I wonder who has floor 99? I'm pretty sure the 100th floor is the roof. so 99/100 would be pretty darn good =)

My map started out on the 99th floor but then after Methy beta tested it, he low balled it. Now i'm just shy of ground level.

the low maps and the high maps are the good ones it gives an initial impression and a last impression. The stuff right in the middle is the filler (i.e. mine is one of those right smack in the middle)

User is offline   MetHy 

The map order is based on me trying to come up with a logical theme/difficulty order that flows well, nothing else. But if you're right, that means my map are the bests!

User is offline   MetHy 

BTW I really just mean a few sentences for the txt file; say the most important. You guys have no idea how unnecessarly ENORMOUS the txt file would be if I added all the details regular map release readme files have for every single map of the episode, it would be ridiculous.

Like just a few sentences, if there are things you want to mention about the map or the player should know about it. Like "this map was built in 2 days and is best played in 8bit - btw MetHy sucks" Something like that ^_^
Thanks

This post has been edited by MetHy: 19 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

This Duke Hard episode kills Duke community. It's really in the grave right now. We have only about 7-10 maps released this year, and it's because of it. Can't wait to play it btw. I hope it will be amazing.

• Ancient Blood God

Do I look like I've released any maps before this anyway?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostSanek, on 19 June 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

This Duke Hard episode kills Duke community. It's really in the grave right now. We have only about 7-10 maps released this year, and it's because of it. Can't wait to play it btw. I hope it will be amazing.

Kills the community? You're getting 17 maps. How many maps would you have gotten in those 4 months if there was no Duke Hard episode? Perhaps a couple.
I think on the contrary it boosted creativity, people saw it as a way "to be part of" and "to end up with" a big episode project without having to deliver too much work; just a small map based on a template.

View PostDaedolon, on 19 June 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Do I look like I've released any maps before this anyway?

You, Cage, Stumpy, Dukebot; that's actually 4 mappers first maps, and they're all good.

Edit : btw, whether that matters or not, I also believe it's a way to make sure your map is played more. Episodes generally get more attention than single maps. Anyone would rather download and play one episode of 17 maps rather than 17 individual maps.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 19 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

User is offline   Forge 

i wouldn't have even bothered to make another map at all if this episode project didn't exist

• Ancient Blood God

I can tell you Cage's map is pretty bad.

User is offline   Jblade 

Shit you heard the guy fellas! Let's all pack up and go home. well it was a nice run but I guess the community's dead now. 1996-2014 RIP Duke.

Hey, I wouldn't have released anything either. Difference being I do plan to and I did start a map, just technical problems are in the way... Come to think of it I may have lost that map in the drive corruption issues I had a while back, I sure lost the one for this project and had to get Methy to send it to me again when it needed editing.

• Ancient Blood God

Did I forget to say ass? I meant Cage's map is pretty bad-ass. ^_^

User is offline   MetHy 

So hmm, still waiting on Cage's and MRCK's final maps versions, there is one small thing I have left to do with Daedolon + I have to write the .txt file and go through the entire episode once again to make sure everything is right, and that's it.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 20 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

So a summer launch July 1st?

User is offline   MetHy 

Oh, I had MRCK's map waiting for me in my mailbox ^_^

User is offline   Paul B 

Ill be first playing through the episode in coop with megaton. Cant wait! It should work just like a built in episode right? Like beneath the birth should be Duke's Hard.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 20 June 2014 - 05:30 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I know it's one of the only way to play it coop for now, but that's really not recommended, first you'll have to extract and play every map individually, and then some things will be off in Megaton. For instance, the spaceship on the boss map will only shoot rockets at you if you play in eduke32.
If you play maps individually in Megaton you'll also be missing all the small cool little things we've made to make this episode feel more like an episode [keeps mouth shut]

This post has been edited by MetHy: 20 June 2014 - 05:32 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

Oh... man thats a bummer. Ok ill try it first with eduke so I dont ruin the experience. I was hoping to play through start to finish with a buddy without having to do each map load separately. Anyway good to know

User is offline   MetHy 

The episode was eduke32-only to begin with anyway, due to the number of maps per episode. Megaton only supports 'whatever-number-of-maps-per-episode' the original game's episodes have, which is much lower than 17 (must be 11 or 12 I think).

• Ancient Blood God

So close now.

I want to play this shit.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yes, this very last phase feels like it's taking forever! Like, believe me or not but writing the readme file alone will have taken me several hours.

And then I will still have to go through everything again one last time to make sure everything works.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 21 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options