Duke4.net Forums: upvote & downvote - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

upvote & downvote

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

hehe there is difference between Duke64 and dumb shit :D i know i only post smart shit . I don't need to play a mental card, iv'e been called that here so yeah i just openly admit it

It does suck to go from 42 down to 2 though.

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 09 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

• Turok Nukem

View PostHendricks266, on 09 January 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

I have to admit this song is good :S

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostKathy, on 09 January 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

You can always, you know, post.

Inb4 necroslut downvotes you.
How dare you imply a forum is a place for discussions?

User is offline   Kathy 

But it is also a place for a simple "agreee/disagree" which voting system provides.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 08 January 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Anyone new who has come here with a good attitude is generally given a wide enough berth, but once they reveal their idiocy, why should it be tolerated?

Intolerance towards nonsense isn't the issue, the problem is that certain long-time members us it as an excuse to go on the attack and start posting nonsense themselves to bolster their "rep".

Sure, some of us who have been here longer get some slack, we cross lines we probably shouldn't. But, to a point, that's been earned in some fashion. In some way we've all at least tried to contribute.

Posts should be accessed on the merits of their content, not the reputation of the poster.
A seniority based pecking order is something to be avoided; unfortunately, the voting/reputation system plays right into its hands.

View PostPlain Simple Garek, on 08 January 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

People don't usually give downvotes to posts that go against their own beliefs or whatever, but rather to utterly stupid comments or actions.

Those two go hand in hand around here; "You post something against my beliefs and do it with the usual hyperbole (that I'm guilty of using myself), so I downvote you, call you a moron and rack up a couple of upvotes from my buddies as a bonus".

View PostSangman, on 09 January 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Another flaw is that a lot of members don't get nearly enough downvotes, so you get jackasses with a high rep because they get upvotes for good posts, but no downvotes for any of their shitposts.

You're being generous here, those "shitposts" are actually upvoted on a regular basis.

Overall, I like this board because of my fondness for Duke 3D, its function as the homebase of the Duke 3D preservation society (which I am admittedly not a part of, alpha brain and all that), the fact that there is still plenty of interesting stuff posted and the opportunity to fill the "listening" thread with semi-obscure music that probably very few people care about.
What I appreciate less is that these forums frequently remind me of the clichéd US high school popularity system, with nerds and newbies on one side and the circle jerking cool kids on the other.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I don't think anyone here is actually cool. We should all be one big happy duking family.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The voting system is such a non-issue. I could care less if someone's abusing it to get their rep up. Luckily, I don't judge people here based on their rep. I can judge the quality of their posts myself and decide whether I agree with them or not. If I agree I upvote...if I feel like it. If I disagree I downvote it...if I feel like it. And I can say all this because I have never complained about the voting system or being downvoted.

(now upvote my awesome smart and informative post)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I abuse the vote system.

Occasionally I will intentionally shit post, whine, rant, whatever just to see how many downvotes i can get.

I hardly ever downvote, but I will downvote people who whine about downvotes, extremists hate rants, people i want to annoy, and Yatta - but this is used lieu of an upvote.

I upvote when posts make me laugh, when something is helpful, or a very intelligent and articulate post - usually in response to some idiocy

X-Vector's generalization of the forum over the supposed activities of a handful of individuals is the exact activity and attitude that he projects himself as being opposed to. Spewing anti-prejudice declarations while lumping together a group of people on an internet forum has to be incredibly self satisfying. Must be fun to stand on the fence and throw rocks at both sides.

I'm no saint. I do the same thing (a Nazi is a Nazi as far as I'm concerned), but look in the mirror first before you start flinging accusations around haphazardly.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostForge, on 10 January 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

I hardly ever downvote, but I will downvote ... Yatta - but this is used lieu of an upvote.

Pretty sure I was the first person to start the "downvote Yatta" trend. At least since he gave himself the giant negative rep.

User is offline   Forge 

since we're laying claim to inane randomness

View PostPlain Simple Garek, on 10 January 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

since he gave himself the giant negative rep.

which he stole from me.

one of these dozen or so rep discussions i requested to be given -1,000. a couple days later Yatta had -1,000

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostForge, on 10 January 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

X-Vector's generalization of the forum over the supposed activities of a handful of individuals is the exact activity and attitude that he projects himself as being opposed to.

It isn't, because I didn't generalise the forum - I just described my opinion of some of the recurring activities of some of the people in here and the way some of them band together.
Maturity doesn't just mean posting sensible stuff yourself, it also means dealing maturely with others' immaturity.
Members like Blue Lightning and Mikko Sandt may ruffle some feathers, but I don't see that as an excuse to start flinging poop around and turn this board (or a portion of it) into a virtual kindergarten at the first opportunity.

I guess my main issue is that certain people simply don't want to take any responsibility for their actions and the consequences thereof, feel they shouldn't be obliged to do so in any way and get antsy when called upon.
If my reaction seems a bit severe, then it's most likely because I perceive this as a problem that extends far beyond this particular forum; IMDb boards, Youtube commentary, television, politics, "real life", it's pretty much everywhere.

User is offline   Forge 

I blame reality TV and the "dumbing" down of moral and ethical standards

View PostX-Vector, on 10 January 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

Members like Blue Lightning and Mikko Sandt may ruffle some feathers,

interesting cross-section. The definition of narcissism combined with circular argumentation based on vague statements with multiple meanings.
"I'm smarter than you because you can't pin me down to make me say exactly what I mean."

it's entertaining to harass people who will never admit when they're wrong

if it looks like a turd, smells like a turd......

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostX-Vector, on 10 January 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

It isn't, because I didn't generalise the forum - I just described my opinion of some of the recurring activities of some of the people in here and the way some of them band together.

I don't see you making an effort to address these posts when they're made by "some of the people" right when they happen, apart from going on about it after the fact.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 10 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

X-Vector, you might enjoy the board more if you were to actually CONTRIBUTE to discussions instead of complaining.

This post has been edited by Element of Kindness: 10 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostComrade Major, on 10 January 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

I don't see you making an effort to address these posts when they're made by "some of the people" right when they happen, apart from going on about it after the fact.

he picks and chooses his battles.
i.e.: antisemitism is not tolerated, but anti-homosexual is

• Turok Nukem

It's all shits and giggles untill someone giggles and shits

The only good thing about these post's is it gets everyone talking :D

So was it really worth down voting me this much? xD

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 10 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Haha, yeah.

This post has been edited by Element of Kindness: 10 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Duke4.net users:

http://www.flamewarr...m/xenophobe.htm

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostForge, on 10 January 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

since we're laying claim to inane randomness

which he stole from me.

one of these dozen or so rep discussions i requested to be given -1,000. a couple days later Yatta had -1,000

In all fairness, if you really did request that before I made the change on my own profile, it must've been a complete coincidence. :D

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostFox, on 10 January 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

More like Evil Clown, but w/e.

• Turok Nukem

Hi i am Duke64Nukem and i am actually a nice guy who only plays Duke Duke Duke xD

Can we start over ? maybe we can get to know one another again :D And forget the past, forgive and forget and build this lovely relationship from the ground up ;)

I didn't mean to hurt you yeah never meant to make you cry

and i didn't mean to go from a decent up vote of 42 to 0 xD I only love you i just wan't more of this relationship :D

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 10 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

• Turok Nukem

Mean downvote again

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 10 January 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

Mean downvote again

Ok. :D

• Turok Nukem

MEAN , OK FINE CAN I HAVE NEGATIVE 64 ATLEAST ?

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 10 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

User is online   Sangman 

View PostX-Vector, on 10 January 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

A seniority based pecking order is something to be avoided; unfortunately, the voting/reputation system plays right into its hands.

Heh, I guess that's more or less what I meant to say.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostSangman, on 10 January 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Heh, I guess that's more or less what I meant to say.

Inevitably happens on other forums anyway by way of post count.

User is online   Sangman 

Yeah - isn't the point of a rep system to, you know, NOT do that?

• Turok Nukem

yes can we start over ? i am friendly

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 10 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Be nice and post something nice to get back to 0 rep and it's done.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

DONT WORRY ILL SAVE YOU DUKE64NUKEM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options