Duke4.net Forums: upvote & downvote - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

upvote & downvote

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJimmy, on 08 January 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

You have to seriously suck to get nothing but down votes. Me and Viper and Radar are big meanie heads and we still get tons of upvotes.

That's crap. Radar is a sweetie.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Yeah i see none of those quotes were directed to anyone, i just said them because i didn't know what to say and they are only Duke quotes :S . Yes i play on steam only, because there are many players playing. yeah this thread topic was stupid to post. There are just so many who agree and it is the reason many of the Duke players don't come here to this site anymore. I thought i would make a post about it. I mean a lot of Duke fans aren't coming here because of the hostile environment. Well it was a pretty bad idea because i went from 28 to 13 xD. But after reading some of the things i wrote i guess i deserve it. I was just trying to speak for the bunch of people who felt the same way. Honestly i think this site isn't to bad i love the site. But a lot of my friends don't come here so it blows sometimes. Seriously at the least it's nice to get some replies and some people were serious about it. Thank you

If anyone would like to play Duke on steam friend me ....... and we can Duke it out http://steamcommunit...id/Duke64Nukem/

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 09 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Your passive-aggressiveness and unwillingness to accept when people are calling you out for being an annoying pugilistic snot is another reason why you get downvoted. Shifting blame to the community for not accepting newbies is not helping your case. If "lots of Duke Nukem fans" aren't coming to the forums because of how we treat idiots, in my opinion that can only be a good thing, especially if those fans shit out posts like that "how to close account on this site?" or "Duke Duke Duke" gem.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 09 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Upvote for "annoying pugilistic snot!"

User is offline   Ronin 

This can be a pretty serious forum sometimes, it's nice to have a few clowns, even Brownfarted has his place.

• Turok Nukem

I think it should be okay to post "Duke Duke Duke" ...why not ? LOL i mean if somebody posted that on my steam group page i would be just fine with it. And they wouldn't get attacked by other members, most likely people would just respond with something funny and because i am the owner, the thread would not be locked. At least somebody is thinking of Duke in these dull times. I admit i have some mental issues and i'm okay with that, really nobody is perfect we all fall short somewhere. I'm just glad i didn't fall short in some places xD. No really..... if somebody just wanted to say Duke Duke Duke why the heck not ? I get it isn't "useful" and also is not a new game being released but there isn't much to say that would be considered important news.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 09 January 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

I think it should be okay to post "Duke Duke Duke" ...why not ? LOL i mean if somebody posted that on my steam group page i would be just fine with it. And they wouldn't get attacked by other members, most likely people would just respond with something funny and because i am the owner, the thread would not be locked. At least somebody is thinking of Duke in these dull times. I admit i have some mental issues and i'm okay with that, really nobody is perfect we all fall short somewhere. I'm just glad i didn't fall short in some places xD. No really..... if somebody just wanted to say Duke Duke Duke why the heck not ? I get it isn't "useful" and also is not a new game being released but there isn't much to say that would be considered important news.

Maybe post it in the thread called Dumb Shit? Or even the post thread or even not at all, random words don't deserve threads.

Why are you implying that you have a large penis?

• Turok Nukem

I'm only implying i have Balls of STEEL :D I didnt know there was a thread for "dumb shit" cool i will post there with this stuff then ;)

Btw people by asking "does anyone actually play Duke?" Is not meant to be some kind of twisted insult i only in search for even more players. But it is okay if you don't want to play i'm getting invites to play Duke Match in 3D right now as i'm typing. All i meant was hey we can play some Duke if you wanted to.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 09 January 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

I'm only implying i have Balls of STEEL :D I didnt know there was a thread for "dumb shit" cool i will post there with this stuff then ;)

I literally laughed out loud. Yes, I'm sure you'll find a sense of belonging in that thread. LOL

This post has been edited by Element of Kindness: 09 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 08 January 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

fuck it

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 08 January 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

The boogey man is real

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 08 January 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

If your mommy was a nickel cheaper ide be your daddy

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 08 January 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Who am i fighting, the fat star wars kid ?

As long as you don't keep posting shit like this, you should be fine. Why would you perform actions that are literally comparable to shooting oneself to their knees. You have a lot of cool posts otherwise, just keep this kind of stuff out and you don't have to worry about downvotes.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

This is very much a "post whatever you want as long as it's not fucking stupid" sort of community that polices itself by way of sarcasm, snark and downvotes. Members berating you when you post something idiotic is merely how the forum moderates itself. This isn't like other forums where if you make a bunch of lousy posts and start a flamewar it ends up deleted with no evidence... I choose to let them run their course, and the crappy member either reforms their behavior (somewhat, eventually) or leaves. When you get a splinter, your body naturally tries to push it out so your tissue can heal... it's a very similar concept. It's also a horrible analogy because you'd generally remove a splinter with tweezers and be done with it, and I'm trying to explain why we do the opposite here, but I digress.

This forum is primarily for intelligent conversation, and anyone that either can't or won't engage in such conversation isn't welcome, and is viewed (by me at least) as a problem that will take care of itself.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostForge, on 09 January 2014 - 06:05 AM, said:

That's crap. Radar is a sweetie.

Aw thanks, sugarcube. I try, I try. :D

This post has been edited by Element of Kindness: 09 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

• Turok Nukem

But i love Duke Nukem and you can't take that away from me because it is actually a part of my crappy childhood, it happens to be one of the good memories i have so i am truly madly deeply in love with this game. It is the only game i play, so even if you banned me i will still be alive. I'm okay if nobody likes me maybe it is because of what i post, but i see no problem with posting whatever the heck people want to post as long as Duke is involved or it has to do with the site. By the way there is no thread for dumb shit i looked.

(Happy edit button ?)Also being racist to the illiterate won't get this site very far, if you are happy with only intelligent Duke fans, then fine keep this forums community exactly the way it is. Not saying the people are bad most are really not bad at all and very funny, but that will only put compression on it's growth. As an admin myself i can admit sometimes admins are wrong there not perfect either.

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 09 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 09 January 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

But i love Duke Nukem and you can't take that away from me because it is actually a part of my crappy childhood, it happens to be one of the good memories i have so i am truly madly deeply in love with this game. It is the only game i play, so even if you banned me i will still be alive. I'm okay if nobody likes me maybe it is because of what i post, but i see no problem with posting whatever the heck people want to post as long as Duke is involved or it has to do with the site. By the way there is no thread for dumb shit i looked.

Here, http://forums.duke4....7063-dumb-shit/ though honestly you couldn't make this shit up. It's in General Discussion.

Nobody here knows you, they just may not like what you say or how you say it. I wouldn't suggest to you to conform to any standard of communication but be advised that if you come out with a lot of dumb shit, drunk or not, you will be either mocked or laughed at or get a dreaded down vote.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 09 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Duke64Nukem, if it's any consolation, I for one enjoy your presence in this community. You might not always post the brightest things, but at least you add color to the forum. Keep on posting. You'll get better as time passes. :D

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

truly madly deeply

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't agree with that. If people were to say anything they want without common sense or self-control it'd be quite an annoying place to be. Why should, and in what universe would, it be ok for somebody to post a thread saying:

herkyderky books are made of paper fopbop the sun is yellow but i want it to be purple and the stones are black with the light of my eyes funksunkshuntpunk lickitysplickity

...duke ftw

...and have that be alright because they mentioned Duke? That's what I equate that to and it's not worth my or anyone else's time.

(Happy edit button ?)Also being racist to the illiterate won't get this site very far, if you are happy with only intelligent Duke fans, then fine keep this forums community exactly the way it is. Not saying the people are bad most are really not bad at all and very funny, but that will only put compression on it's growth

How can you be "racist to the illiterate"? Is that insulting people's ethnicity with racial slurs just because they're illiterate? Or do you mean 'illiteratist'? That is, reserving intolerance for illiterate people. I'm only partly against such a notion. If you're just insulting a person for being illiterate then that's not right, but if they're refusing to take instruction and correction and put forth an effort to BE literate, or at least show an interest, then I say they deserve whatever they get. We're far too tolerant of stupid people who have no desire to get better. That said, I don't condone putting anybody down for any reason, but if they are put down...well...they deserved it. Incidentally, I don't consider you to be the latter....yet. But I don't think any growth is notable or respectable if that growth consists solely of morons. I think that is TX's point.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostThe Commander, on 08 January 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

Can I down vote this for being posted in the Duke Nukem General thread?

Hey.... don't pick on the "special" forum members you meanie!

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 09 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 08 January 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

But i would like to know who is actually playing Duke in these threads? Who actually plays it day by day with fellow Dukes ? 3d and DNF who actually plays online ? <snip>

I play some form of Duke Nukem a couple of times a week probably... but I don't play multi-player except LAN in the house.

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 09 January 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

I think it should be okay to post "Duke Duke Duke" ...why not ?

It is ok... but Ok doesn't preclude being downvoted for anything someone else believes they should be downvoted for.

Duke64Nukem said:

LOL i mean if somebody posted that on my steam group page i would be just fine with it.

I would not be fine with it... I would downvote them for it... :D

Duke64Nukem said:

At least somebody is thinking of Duke in these dull times.
I don't think these times are dull.

Duke64Nukem said:

I admit i have some mental issues and i'm okay with that, really nobody is perfect we all fall short somewhere.
Just because you are comfortable with your mental issues doesn't mean others will be ok with it. For instance, I am not ok with it... <downvote>

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 09 January 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

I didnt know there was a thread for "dumb shit" cool i will post there with this stuff then ;)
I thought all of your threads were at least subtitled dumb shit. Sounds like you found your primary titled home and now I have a thread I can avoid rather than get these surprise Crap-Bombs.

Duke64Nukem said:

Btw people by asking "does anyone actually play Duke?" Is not meant to be some kind of twisted insult i only in search for even more players. But it is okay if you don't want to play i'm getting invites to play Duke Match in 3D right now as i'm typing. All i meant was hey we can play some Duke if you wanted to.

You do know that many many of us play Duke Nukem games single player only also, right? Just sayin not to judge the community because of lack of multi-player players. While I play LAN based Duke 3D often, I have not played Duke Nukem 3D multi-player (on line) since the days of DOS Modem based T.E.N. I think was called. That was a bit over 15 years ago.

But really... just relax. You (Duke64Nukem) seem to want to force or induce reactions from others, and that type of interaction is not very popular without a LOT of thought out effort and/or a pre-existing personal connection... random crap with strangers generally won't do it. Even when my posts suck to some, there is still thought and effort put into them. Maybe you don't realize that some of the banter between members here is not random at all, but often has very long term based contextual elements to it.
Maybe you could REALLY spend a few months lurking and learn a bit about the various members... or do like I did, and systematically read the entire site before ever posting. Took over a year though.

I'm done. (YAY!) :D

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 09 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

User is offline   Sangman 

I don't mind the upvote/downvote thing but there is a "flaw" in that most of you claiming to not care about the voting system get all pissy when downvoted even if it's nothing personal. Another flaw is that a lot of members don't get nearly enough downvotes, so you get jackasses with a high rep because they get upvotes for good posts, but no downvotes for any of their shitposts.

If we could stop being so touchy about downvotes then yeah all would be perfect but it turns out downvotes are mostly reserved for noobs with noob ideas for some reason.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 09 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostSangman, on 09 January 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

I don't mind the upvote/downvote thing but there is a "flaw" in that most of you claiming to not care about the voting system get all pissy when downvoted even if it's nothing personal.

Quoted. For. Freaking. Truth.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

<snip> get all pissy when downvoted even if it's nothing personal.<snip>

This is great! Can we split the voting system into "Personal and Nothing Personal"... cause I mean, when it's personal, I want that lil-bitch to KNOW IT! :D

(Hehehe)

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Kathy 

You can always, you know, post.

• Turok Nukem

Well can you guys at least vote me into the negatives ? That's obviously where i belong.

Also here is a good song for those who also have mental issues :D helps me be calm

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 09 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Playing the "mental issues" card I see.

Another flaw is that a lot of members don't get nearly enough downvotes, so you get jackasses with a high rep because they get upvotes for good posts, but no downvotes for any of their shitposts.

Agreed. Not naMEming aVIPERny naJIMMYmes here

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 09 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostRonan, on 09 January 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Here, http://forums.duke4....7063-dumb-shit/ though honestly you couldn't make this shit up. It's in General Discussion.

Nobody here knows you, they just may not like what you say or how you say it. I wouldn't suggest to you to conform to any standard of communication but be advised that if you come out with a lot of dumb shit, drunk or not, you will be either mocked or laughed at or get a dreaded down vote.

That thread is dedicated for posts/pictures that show people doing dumb shit...
Not people spamming the words "duke duke duke"

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostThe Commander, on 09 January 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

That thread is dedicated for posts/pictures that show people doing dumb shit...
Not people spamming the words "duke duke duke"

Well it just says "Post dumb shit" so it's appropriate.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Its also in the POST thread........ so we do what we want!

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostRonan, on 09 January 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

Well it just says "Post dumb shit" so it's appropriate.

Yes, but there is a difference between "dumb shit" and Duke64Nukem.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTerminX, on 09 January 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

This forum is primarily for intelligent conversation, and anyone that either can't or won't engage in such conversation isn't welcome, and is viewed (by me at least) as a problem that will take care of itself.

rats....he's onto me

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options