Duke4.net Forums: Alien: Isolation - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien: Isolation  "New game from The Creative Assembly and Sega"

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Yes, but you should have pre purchased it to get all that bonus content.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Apart from the nearly extinct demo phenomenon, the best way to judge a game according to your bias is the video walkthrough; it's spoilerific, but also the closest thing to hands-on.

PS, as a general rule, take note of what The Angry Kiwi has to say, then assume the opposite position is the correct one.

So you are telling him he shouldn't get it?
Dafaq

I'm suggesting that pre-purchasing a game is unwise, especially if the main motivation seems to be to get more stuff.

Posted Image

I made my purchase a week before release because I had viewed multiple reviews and gameplay video and had made my decision.

You just told him to watch videos etc to make his own opinion so you are contradicting yourself.

User is offline   Malgon 

I literally just finished the game and I would say that it is definitely worth purchasing the game at full price themaniacboy, as there's plenty to like about the game if you are a fan of Alien.

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 13 October 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

I made my purchase a week before release because I had viewed multiple reviews and gameplay video and had made my decision.

You just told him to watch videos etc to make his own opinion so you are contradicting yourself.

Watching snippets of developer-led gameplay on a convention is not nearly the same as following commentary-free walkthroughs of the completed version.
Aside from that, I'd be weary of reviews published more than a week before general release - not only because the review copy could contain differences from the commercial one, but also because I believe professional reviews should be free of spur-of-the-moment rush and hype.

There was heaps of commentary free videos of early released console versions of the game on YouTube a week before release on PC.
The reviews had started coming out the same time.
He had plenty of time to make his decision to get that bonus content, now if he wants it he will have to pay an extra cost when they release it later on.
Something I don't agree with myself.

Thanks everyone, after A:CM i didn't trust previews and pre-orders anymore, nice to hear this is a game that's worth it.
What about the Nostromo edition, doesn't that contain the pre-purchase dlc?
I was thinking of getting the retail disc of Nostromo edition at the end of this month.
When i have the game, i'll share my experiences.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

All bonus pre purchase goodies always become absolute eventually in the GOTY/Gold/Deluxe editions. Just takes patience.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I just beat the game this morning and decided to write up my own review for it. It does contain a couple spoilers in the pictures, so you have been warned.
https://www.facebook...42?notif_t=like

Commando Nukem, on 14 October 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

A small story from one of my own experiences. I brutally gunned down and smashed the skull in of two humans who had just decided to leave the area I was in. Why? Because I had approached the last couple of groups with open arms, hoping that they would be peaceful, only to be shot at for my trouble. Earlier I had watched the Alien tear through three humans. Well, I watched it kill the first and second of the three, then I slid into a vent and overheard the other one beg for his life before being snuffed out. I found myself feeling quite embittered with the humans on the station, and how quickly they seemed to have descended into anarchistic and tribal behavior. So screw them. I wanted what they had in their pockets. I wanted to survive. So I killed these two. Out of a sense of utter malice. The situation had actually left me feeling powerless and angry. Well, I guess I know what kind of person I might be in a survival situation. No second chances.

All I can say is it's good to play a damn good Alien game again after all these years.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 14 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

User is offline   Hool 

On the subject of pre-ordering or pre-purchasing games - I remember when pre ordering games had a purpose. I remember when you'd have to pre-order a game to secure your copy because sometimes they'd run out on launch day. That might be hard to believe but it actually happened on release of Dead Island. Every shop in my city on launch ran out of copies to sell - even to those who pre-ordered - because the publisher underestimated how many would be sold on launch day. Luckily (if you could put it that way) a Blockbuster had one last copy of the game that I managed to grab just before they closed. Pre-ordering usually would give the publishers a good idea on how many copies they should stock in a shop but now they just over stock anyway and thus it makes pre-ordering pretty pointless.

For today's standards pre-ordering means getting extra stuff that usually becomes either paid or free DLC down the road. I'm not really into that because it means developers have to cut content just for pre-order incentives. I'm up for physical items like T-shirts, USB sticks etc however. Yet, I don't see many developers using this anymore and that's just sad.

Pre-ordering has become pretty pointless now, I'd just wished shops would drop this because the original purpose has become redundant now that shops just overstock copies of the game anyway.

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 14 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Who buys PC games from the store still?...

• The Sarien Encounter

I like boxes...but actually I don't really buy games from stores anymore...I think the last one I got was TES Anthology, but that was a christmas gift. I usually never pay full price, though. I wait until the game goes on sale on Steam for less than $5 and then grab it if I've got the cash. Haven't bought anything lately, though, because I have no luxury money.

Wait, that's not true, I did buy Book of Unwritten Tales which only cost me $1 CAD and whatever was left in my Steam wallet from selling trading cards (which is awesome, btw. I sold all my cards and made $5 once). Spent 4 cents on two copies of Syberia for Android from Humble. That's about it.

The last game a bought retail was Borderlands 2 because it was cheaper retail than on Steam because Steam prices 2k Games at a inflated price.

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't buy Gearbox or 2k Games games.

Awesome reply.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 October 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

I don't buy Gearbox or 2k Games games.

Still pretty pissed off I paid $100 for the standard edition of DNF when it came out. This was back when the Australian dollar was stronger than the U.S dollar. Man I got F'd in the A that day. I try to justify it as paying for a lesson in not pre-ordering based on hype.

View PostMicky C, on 15 October 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Still pretty pissed off I paid $100 for the standard edition of DNF when it came out. This was back when the Australian dollar was stronger than the U.S dollar. Man I got F'd in the A that day. I try to justify it as paying for a lesson in not pre-ordering based on hype.

Well, call me a sucker, not only did i pay $150 for the Balls of Steel edition of DNF and i paid $120 for the special collectors edition of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Either way, i got a few cool trinkets, an art book and a comic with the BoS edition but i have to say that the powerloader statue i got with A:CM is pretty cool.

User is offline   Ronin 

Just beat the game on normal, it's great, a perfect Alien game.

User is offline   Malgon 

For those who are interested in checking out the performance of the game you can run the benchmark mode by adding -benchmark to the command-line. There are some more command-line options listed in the link below.

http://forums.alieni...nchmark-mode-pc

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

A video of Creative Assembly's GDC presentation has just been posted. It includes their pitch video.

http://www.gdcvault....g-Fear-in-Alien

Double post. Sega's year-end financials came out and the game sold 2.11 million copies total.

On the call, Sega SAMMY Holdings said Alien: Isolation was well-received by fans and critics, but sales were "weak" in relation to expectations. Sadly, it didn't sell as well as the dreadful Colonial Marines. Gearbox definitely damaged the brand.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 11 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Wouldn't part of that be due to Colonial Marines being a FPS and hence in a larger genre with a larger audience?

• The Sarien Encounter

People can manipulate numbers all they want....they end up representing nothing but what they want people to think they represent.

View PostMicky C, on 11 May 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Wouldn't part of that be due to Colonial Marines being a FPS and hence in a larger genre with a larger audience?

That's a good point, but I think the game's reception certainly made people more skeptical of Sega's plans for the Alien franchise. That and Certain Affinity is known for real-time strategy games not first-person immersive stealth games. Isolation had loads of expensive ads, it looked incredible, and had positive previews and some reviews (PCG's game of the year). A:CM only had the ads and previews based off a grossly exaggerated vertical slice. I wish Sega had cancelled A:CM instead of Obsidian's Alien RPG.

View PostMicky C, on 11 May 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

I for one think that you are right. I didn't buy either though. :)
However isolation looks great, I am just not interested in the whole game style.

I thought AI was a good game, but I was disappointed in the ending to be honest and once you get the flame thrower the game isn't hard at all.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

AI is one of the worst parts of Alien: Isolation, at least it is on my PS3 copy of the game.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options