Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC needs new mappers - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC needs new mappers  "Want to help?"

User is offline   Jblade 

It's pretty much as the title says. There's a lot of work underway but having a good quality mapper or two would really speed things along. If you're exceptionally good and we get along than there's no reason why you couldn't become an actual player character in the TC either :wub: Right now it's just me and Micky mapping, Mikko may contribute, Loke has made an excellent map set and Sang contributed a bunch of stuff before he stopped Duke modding (and also DavoX made a little area which I've continiued working on) Also I'm using the GoD remnants by vonskellington for a level as well, which helped move things along.

While we could finish it without the help, it would speed things along AND help the quality alot in the end.

User is offline   Foxley 

What needs to get done?
Any map, themed map or finishing unfinished map?

User is offline   Gambini 

Rather than with mapping, I could contribute with the art. But my time is pretty much seized for the next ten years, with so many unconsummated projects and things to finish, so I can´t promise anything.

User is offline   Jblade 

If you're already burdened with too much stuff than don't worry about it Gambini, I don't want you to get too swamped :wub: (plus the bike art you let me use is fantastic enough as it is, otherwise I would of had to of used the much poorer quality redneck rampage bike HUD)

What needs to get done?
Any map, themed map or finishing unfinished map?

Finishing maps mostly, although if someone has a good idea for a new one that wouldn't be a problem. I'm looking for people who have some experience they're familiar with since newer mappers might be a bit overwhelmed with the texture choices and stuff :D

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJames, on 29 December 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

If you're exceptionally good

i'm disqualified

... and we get along

define "get along"
shouldn't you take me to dinner and a movie before we swap spit?

While we could finish it without the help, it would speed things along AND help the quality alot in the end.

joking aside, i don't map anymore, but i could give you my abandoned castle/palace level that's about 1/3 to 1/2 done and maybe you could use it for something

User is offline   Jblade 

if you buy me dinner, you might get to first base. might (dont bet on it)

joking aside, i don't map anymore, but i could give you my abandoned castle/palace level that's about 1/3 to 1/2 done and maybe you could use it for something

If you don't feel like you'll finish it than sure, I'd be honored to take a look and see if we can find a home for it :wub:

This post has been edited by James: 29 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i'll never finish it. i can't do what i want with it due to limit busting.

sent to your email account that you have listed at CGS

with all the sprite construction in the main chamber, i don't think it'll be 8-bit compatible. too many visual clipping issues

hopefully something is usable
if not, it might be mildly interesting to look at

do what you want with it
i don't need credit and i release any claim to the work or "intellectual property" to you

User is offline   Jblade 

It's certainly impressive - the TC is made for 8bit but I don't think the clipping is bad at all in the map. Hopefully I can find a nice home for it (if not in this episode than next one) and of course you'll get full credit for it. Much appreciated!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I want to add to this thread that several maps in episode 2 are semi collaborative; me and James each have our own maps but there are others that we both contribute to somewhat. Not only does this get the maps done faster, but also boosts motivation and inspiration when you see how much progress is being made per effort you yourself put in, not to mention it's a cure for "mapper's block". As James has said we can definitely finish it ourselves, but for the above reasons (mainly the speed one) a new skilled mapper would help to streamline the mapping side of the TC.

Alternatively a new mapper could create a new map from scratch; either for episode 2 or if it's not finished by then, episode 3. The AMC TC is extremely fun to map for, with its huge texture set (including the original Duke 3D textures if that's all you're comfortable with) you can much more accurately create what you have in mind, and it's absolutely brimming with cool and interesting effects of which even the most fundamental can really soup up atmosphere or gameplay allowing you to do what you only dreamed were possible in Duke.
The new map route would probably be the one to take if you're 'relatively' new to mapping.

I'd suggest if you are even slightly curious about the TC and mapping for it, come have a look what we've got, maybe play around with something, and if you decide you don't want to help or make a map (or even if you change your mind after half finishing a map), then that's ok. Basically if you feel you may be interested, don't miss out due to some small hesitation or fear that you'd have to commit, we won't hold a grudge Posted Image but I think it's likely that you'd like what you'll see.

User is offline   Rhaisher 

I would like to make a map for this TC someday, but I can't right now: I don't have any experience in mapping. I'll try to follow an on-line guide and build a map or two that, obviously, aren't going to be released.

If you are still in the need of mappers for Episode 3 and I have enough experience by then, I'll be more than happy to help. Until then, keep up the good work! :wub:

• Honored Donor

View PostRhaiNukem, on 31 December 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

I'll try to follow an on-line guide and build a map or two that, obviously, aren't going to be released.

Yep, that's definitely the way to do it Posted Image

You've probably seen this before as it's the commonly recommended guide for beginners (but I still use it as a reference myself somewhat regularly): http://infosuite.duke4.net/index.php

However here's a separate guide I wrote myself explaining some lesser known features of the engine and certain techniques that allow you to build maps much faster than you would otherwise. I hope it helps; https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostPlain Simple Garek, on 31 December 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

However here's a separate guide I wrote myself explaining some lesser known features of the engine and certain techniques that allow you to build maps much faster than you would otherwise. I hope it helps; https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

That guide could use some formatting imho, anyway is really nice to have a guide like that. Is all the undocumented stuff from EDuke recent changes there?
I could bet I have missed half of those, I don't even remember how to align wall textures to the left...

• Honored Donor

To align to the left you press , instead of . (makes sense when you think about it), it's on the wiki in the keyboard command page. Perhaps some time I'll add a little section to the level editing page specifically for additions to Duke maps in eduke32 such as the xvel 1 underwater sprite and pal 4 unbreakable mirrors, just so they're all in one place, but there's not as many as you think. A lot of the changes to eduke32 lately have been related to lunatic.

Now although this is Duke4.net, let's not get too far off topic. To get things back on track I've whipped up an image here; just reminding mappers out there that after they finish a map (and if it's the sort of thing they care about), they can have their very own character in the TC with their favorite weapons and one liners. One of my WIP maps at the moment is based on a real life location in my city, and I have to say playing through that and hearing my voice is a very surreal experience.

The question mark here is you Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I've got a lot of stuff on my plate right now, so I can't map for episode 2, but if you guys need some help with art, do not hesitate to ask. I love this mod.

User is offline   Jblade 

Cool, I'll be sure to send you a PM if something comes to mind :wub:

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I love AMC TC , but I don't have any time to map for you. Why you didn't ask 1 or 2 years ago? Posted Image

P.S. I played AMC TC whole summer, lol :D

This post has been edited by Artem Nevinchany: 14 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Bumping this incase anybody didn't see it or has changed their mind about it. It would definitely speed things up :blink:

User is offline   Stabs 

yeah perhaps lemme finsih this DNE business, i love cyberpunk wouldn't mind making my own mini system shock 2 level, try bind all the most popular areas into a single map

have old very detailed work that could be worked into a brutalist style of cyberpunk distopia

This post has been edited by Stabs: 22 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I was thinking for 1-2 days to make map for the AMC - TC (while working on Treq at the same time) since I sometime work on multi levels at the same time.
Like I did the fire level and ice level at same time.

So what type of level should I work for AMC TC?

User is offline   Jblade 

There's loads of textures and stuff in there which you could use for anything you like really, maybe a level set in a jungle base or set on another planet starring you? :)

User is offline   Zaxtor 

if I add new con-codes would I need to send you the piece in an individual file to prevent confusion?

A base level in a jungle sounds nice.

TROR are ok in the mod?

Mod uses 8 bit based textures.

As for the monsters I can use these cultists etc?
Since they were pretty invasive in many levels,

And tell me other things incase I need to know.

User is offline   Jblade 

You can post on the AMC TC hidden forums back at AMC so we can talk more there :) You can post what you need for CON stuff there and I can help you with it. TROR is fine since classic mode is what the TC is made for.

This post has been edited by James: 28 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

View PostJames, on 28 March 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

You can post on the AMC TC hidden forums back at AMC so we can talk more there :) You can post what you need for CON stuff there and I can help you with it. TROR is fine since classic mode is what the TC is made for.

Ok. btw do you have skype or anything like that?
Would be a lot easier

• Honored Donor

I'm sure James would have mentioned this but just in case; if you're going to make a map, make sure you're using the episode 2 development build and not the released episode 1 version. You would NOT believe all the cool new effects and level designs added Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Effects on that mod is mind boggling .
textures goes almost 1.5 times more than my mod Trequonia.
I'm in the mid Tileart40s
While this mod will hit the 76 with my set of texture for the Jungle Base im workin on for AMC TC.

Also the DEF of AMC TC
Has soo many sounds.

Now the level im working on
Also The little cabin will be pretty detailed the inside.

User is offline   blizzart 

I would like to map something for this episode. I can´t give a guarantee that I will finish a map, but I have some nice ideas.
Just 2 questions:
1.) can I make use of TROR and
2.) where do I get the episode 2 development build, Micky mentioned above?

EDIT:
And if I want to make own textures, is there any tutorial out there on how I convert Hires-textures to 8bit with the correct palette in Photoshop?
I´ve never worked with 8bit sprites and textures (just mapped with existing stuff) so I´m a little bit clueless. What will be the max. resolution of a texture/sprite?

This post has been edited by blizzart: 11 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

The dev build isn't public, Zaxtor's been on the team since the start of the thing :) I'd suggest making a usermap with the first release if you want to make a map (Loke and Micky both did this and Loke's map is featured in EP2 and Micky actually fully came onboard)

View PostJames, on 11 April 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

The dev build isn't public, Zaxtor's been on the team since the start of the thing :) I'd suggest making a usermap with the first release if you want to make a map (Loke and Micky both did this and Loke's map is featured in EP2 and Micky actually fully came onboard)

Yeah, I totally forgot that Zaxtor was on the team from the start :)
So I will use the current textures. But as mentioned above, I don´t know where this will lead to. Maybe I finish a map or it will be only some rooms which could be used in other maps... who knows.

But if I want to contribute with some textures, as long it is appreciated :D , are there any tutorials out there? I really never made any custom 8bit stuff so far.

User is offline   Jblade 

This thread would be a good place to start - I'd avoid adding new textures to your map though since there's TONS already in there and it's easy to get a bit overwhelmed. There's a whole bunch that are in that were never used in the first episode :) Having said that I'd still look up tutorials and stuff since knowing about 8bit art is very useful (and Helix recently added a new feature to Eduk32 that allows usermaps to have their own art files individually)

View PostJames, on 11 April 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

... (and Helix recently added a new feature to Eduk32 that allows usermaps to have their own art files individually)...

I haven´t noticed that. Sounds very good in my opinion.
So I will start with something next week.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options