Duke4.net Forums: What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games? - Duke4.net Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games?

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter is the apex of the series. Hail the fucking RAM cart.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 19 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

- System Shock 2 is ridiculously overrrated. The gameplay is clunky as hell (apparently, holding a shotgun is simply beyond the comprehension of your super cyborg space marine muscle man if you don't have enough points in firearms), the graphics are eye-gourgingly awful, the GUI sucks, and the game is about as scary as a shit taking a little longer than usual. I'm convinced that it has a such a loyal fanbase because hardcore nerds are babies that shit their pants at anything that looks or sounds remotely unsettling and think the term "user friendly" is a sin.

- Fallout 1 is boring and generic. Fallout 2 takes everything good with F1 and does it much better.

- Unreal 1 is the best out of Quake 2, HL1, and Unreal 1.

- Quake 3 is mediocre outside of 1v1. UT99 is way more fun and amusing, even without mods and custom levels. Q1 is also more fun and way faster than Q3, even with CPMA.

- Unreal Tournament 2004 is the worst UT game.

- Fallout 3 is a great game and the lore crybabies that are upset that it Bethesda took their own twist on the franchise can suck it.

- CoD: MW2 is one of the best "fuck around" MP games out there. Everything is so over-the-top powerful that it's really fun.

- Earthbound isn't that good. The gameplay is annoying, while the writing and art style want to be quirky, but in a boring, G-rated sort of way. The only interesting part is the Dungeon Man.

- Super Mario RPG is bleh. Paper Mario did it way better.

- I didn't find The Walking Dead very emotionally engaging.

- Blood is everything wrong with 90s FPS games in one package. The only saving grace is the funny death animations.

- Chrono Cross is just as good as Chrono Trigger.

- Pro gaming is dumb and a plague upon multiplayer games. It's actually pretty funny when you see some pansy-ass geek being profiled like a real sports star because he can play DotA2/LoL well, though.

- I think MOBAs are a waste of time.

- Games that try to be "artistic" always suck as actual games (Limbo, Braid, etc).

- In fact, I hate games trying to be art. Several games that weren't designed to be artistic are way more artistic than whatever pretentious, high-school level horseshit is being shoveled out by some dolt that half-slept through his "intro to art" class, but thinks he knows all about what art is and how he can make a game one.

- Oblivion is really boring.

- Portal 2 sucked. The humor wasn't funny and the gameplay was on-rails bullshit, which goes against being a puzzle game.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 19 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Oblivion is boring to most people. The Dark Brotherhood storyline was great, though. Thieves' Guild is second.

User is offline   leilei 

Given how the fanbase turned out and how embarrassing the sequels progressed to be, Sonic 2 should have never existed in its released form.... or its Beta form. Fuck Hidden Palace Zone and the fanbase's wet dreams about it.

The only good character they ever added was Knuckles since he's a Sonic that climbs walls, breaks walls, and glides - pretty fair. Fuck Miles "Tails "importent ambasider of furry's boss killing alpha and omega gods gift to furrys"" Prower.

Would've been better for the franchise if they skipped Sonic 2 and 3 and just went to Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles. Seven Sonic games in the span of 3 years is too much saturation. There would've been an eight if they bastardized Popful Mail... *SHUDDER*

This post has been edited by leilei: 20 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 19 November 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

- Fallout 1 is boring and generic. Fallout 2 takes everything good with F1 and does it much better.

- Fallout 3 is a great game and the lore crybabies that are upset that it Bethesda took their own twist on the franchise can suck it.

- CoD: MW2 is one of the best "fuck around" MP games out there. Everything is so over-the-top powerful that it's really fun.

I thought the first one was the generally accepted opinion? Personally I found Fallout 1 way more atmospheric and likewise, way more engaging. So many places in that game were just so foreboding to go to, and everything felt like it was fucked to shit, unlike Fallout 2 (which was a side effect of more stuff being rebuilt, not really the games fault)

Fallout 3 wasn't bad because of the lore, it was because bethesda can't code for shit, and because their gameplay is a clunky ass-fuck of features that don't mesh well together, especially for a "survival" game - all you ever did was sit there pumping large amounts of rounds into enemies and that's all there was to the combat (unless you took melee or unarmed then you were doing the same but with a bat or fists)

For a first-person, much more action oriented version of fallout it sure as hell still plays like a RPG that's based on dice rolls and stats, just you can do the aiming.

Which brings me to my own opinion in which everybody says you can't compare Fallout 3 and STALKER games, but I will anyway because they are both FPS/RPG hybrid survival games, and while STALKER may be light on the RPG-ness, it is vastly superior as a survival game over Fallout 3, and in atmosphere as well (and gunplay as well)

Fully agree with the MW2 quote, I had a lot of fun with it.

View Postleilei, on 20 November 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Given how the fanbase turned out and how embarrassing the sequels progressed to be, Sonic 2 should have never existed in its released form.... or its Beta form. Fuck Hidden Palace Zone and the fanbase's wet dreams about it.

The only good character they ever added was Knuckles since he's a Sonic that climbs walls, breaks walls, and glides - pretty fair. Fuck Miles "Tails "importent ambasider of furry's boss killing alpha and omega gods gift to furrys"" Prower.

Would've been better for the franchise if they skipped Sonic 2 and 3 and just went to Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles. Seven Sonic games in the span of 3 years is too much saturation. There would've been an eight if they bastardized Popful Mail... *SHUDDER*

Holy shit, I finally found something I disagree with you on. Vehemently.

Sonic 2 was the first game I ever played. I still have the actual cartridge. Still a fantastic game IMO.

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostJames, on 10 November 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Half-life was the first FPS game to feature those kind of scripted sequences though. It was the first to try and create an immersive story through the environment rather than cutscenes and shit - it was also one of the first to actually try and build it's levels somewhat closer to reality. Explaining it would be like trying to say why Doom is still a good game, or Duke. The level of detail and love in trying to create an actual environment was amazing, doubly so when originally it was just going to be a Quake-knockoff.

Black mesa is amazing for what it is, but damaged by some stupid decisions regarding the accuracy of the human grunt enemies. The only viable weapon against them is the Python - that's not good or hard gaming, that's just shit for forcing you to use one out of a wide array of guns. The only other thing is that due to the increased detail everything feels smaller. Half-life felt huge, like Black Mesa was some kind of labyrinth. I don't really get that feeling with BM even though they added more unusable doors and areas and stuff. The voice actor for Barney is incredible though, he sounds so similar to Mike Shapiro it's spooky (fun fact, he voices the bad guy Mancini in wages of Sin)

SiN is also one of my favourite games - too bad Emergence was a flop. It's understandable though since it doesn't have anything of what made SiN fun.

Damn can´t hit the like button more than once

User is offline   ---- 

Speaking of cutscenes. My opinion.

3rd person cutscnes are the worst that can happen to FPS games, and yet almost everybody does it (only thing well done in DNF, they didn't switch to 3rd person). I mean, in one moment I am fighting and I am participating in the game's world and I am the protagonist. And in th e next moment I see a person who doesn't look like me, who doesn't sound like me and who even doesn't act like me. What's with that shit in every game? Make games for mature people again who have found their role in life and have a developed personality in life and who don't want to play as another person like young kids like to do as they tend to play as another person before they are a grown personality themselves.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Hey, isn't part of the fun of playing Duke Nukem games is playing as Duke Nukem?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMicky C, on 20 November 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

Hey, isn't part of the fun of playing Duke Nukem games is playing as Duke Nukem?

Yes, in Duke 3D it was. He didn't have a fleshed out character. He was just a badass with a few oneliners. You had to fill in the gaps left out in his character. Of course you will want to play as badass if you buy a game about it. You want to be a soldier if you buy a military shooter, you will want to play a physicist at Black Mesa, etc ... but in all cases YOU want to play, and not some fleshed out character who is totally different from you (unless your life is so miserable you desperately want to be someone else). In DNF for example Duke had some chicks around him I had thrown out of the window in no time, said and did other stupid things, etc...

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 21 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

User is online   Jblade 

This thread started out interesting but very quickly has shown that alot of people here are crazy bitter about games and the people who play them.

Also I think 'over-rated' is a stupid metric, because it's like saying "I have an opinion." It tells us nothing. It's a false way of trying to make you look more authoritative on the subject. Try and tell us why you dislike a game without using that word. "I think game X has aged badly" is far more valuable than "I think game X is overrated!" and at least is open to some discussion.

This post has been edited by James: 21 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postfuegerstef, on 20 November 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Make games for mature people again who have found their role in life and have a developed personality in life and who don't want to play as another person like young kids like to do as they tend to play as another person before they are a grown personality themselves.

If you have matured and developed personality then playing for whatever character game is about shouldn't be much of a problem. It's just the main character in a game's narrative and not actually you.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 21 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View Postfuegerstef, on 20 November 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Speaking of cutscenes. My opinion.

3rd person cutscnes are the worst that can happen to FPS games, and yet almost everybody does it (only thing well done in DNF, they didn't switch to 3rd person). I mean, in one moment I am fighting and I am participating in the game's world and I am the protagonist. And in th e next moment I see a person who doesn't look like me, who doesn't sound like me and who even doesn't act like me. What's with that shit in every game? Make games for mature people again who have found their role in life and have a developed personality in life and who don't want to play as another person like young kids like to do as they tend to play as another person before they are a grown personality themselves.

What...? Impersonating is what movies or videogames are about. You are not supposed to "throw your life away" to enjoy it, you are only supposed to pretend to be part of it for the short time you are watching or playing.

This post has been edited by Fox: 21 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

User is offline   leilei 

View PostViper The Rapper, on 20 November 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

Holy shit, I finally found something I disagree with you on. Vehemently.

Kinda the point of this thread... feel free to rip Darkstalkers a new one. The first game definitely is crap and the second game is definitely a lazy rehash.

OH WAIT BUT THAT'S A SEGA SATURN FIGHTER

This post has been edited by leilei: 21 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostFox, on 21 November 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

What...? Impersonating is what movies or videogames are about. You are not supposed to "throw your life away" to enjoy it, you are only supposed to pretend to be part of it for the short time you are watching or playing.

You don't understand what he said. It's annoying to be playing a game and then watch a cutscene where your character does something you absolutely wouldn't do in their shoes.

User is offline   Kathy 

Like shooting hundreds of people?

• Glory To Motherland!

Well, given the circumstances...

Here's another one: Despite having a worse plot, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is better than the original in every way, and a better game overall.

IMO, third best game ever made. Tied with Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

View Postleilei, on 21 November 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

Kinda the point of this thread... feel free to rip Darkstalkers a new one. The first game definitely is crap and the second game is definitely a lazy rehash.

OH WAIT BUT THAT'S A SEGA SATURN FIGHTER

So was Battle Arena Toshinden

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 21 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostComrade Major, on 21 November 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

You don't understand what he said. It's annoying to be playing a game and then watch a cutscene where your character does something you absolutely wouldn't do in their shoes.

This. ;)

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostComrade Major, on 21 November 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

I guess that this depends a lot on how much "freedom" the player has with the character when not in cutscene mode, and how much the player character is fleshed out as a personality within the storyline of the game.

Here's one that will get you banned from Doomworld.com for even having a fever dream about saying.

-I think Brutal Doom is a good mod, is fun to play with and the blood and gore is silly and I actually understand that it's not meant to be taken seriously. ;)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It should get you banned here, too.

So should a lot of things.

User is offline   Hank 

Yeah, I need more brains.
Can't see the connection, Doomworld - Brutal Doom - Like - Banned - what?
Someone explain please

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHank, on 25 November 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Someone explain please

There are controversial opinions, and then there are opinions you should just be shot for having.

Disclaimer: I also like Brutal Doom

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 25 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

User is offline   Komenja 

View PostHank, on 25 November 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Someone explain please

Getting banned on Doomworld for liking Brutal Doom is exaggerated. Whenever that mod is brought up there will be people who complain about it or defend it. And it gets brought up often on that site.

You guys should know by now that I am not literally saying that you'll get banned on Doomworld for mentioning a mod for Doom ;)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 25 November 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

You guys should know by now that I am not literally saying that you'll get banned on Doomworld for mentioning a mod for Doom :D

OK. I guessed that much, but I have no explanation or interpretation about your first post
Does the mod suck or not?
I post at Doomworld, at most, once a year, and the mod at moddb looks favorable, so is it worth the download? ;)

This post has been edited by Hank: 25 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostHank, on 25 November 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

OK. I guessed that much, but I have no explanation or interpretation about your first post
Does the mod suck or not?
I post at Doomworld, at most, once a year, and the mod at moddb looks favorable, so is it worth the download? ;)

It's got a lot of work put into it, but it totally changes the way Doom is played. I recommend you give it a go and pretend that you've never played it before. You'll get into a lot less arguments that way :D

User is offline   CruX 

Most of the stuff I've got to say is just re-hashing and I readily acknowledge that I'm retarded when it comes to video games and don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, so don't waste your energy getting angry at me over any of this;

- I don't understand Goldeneye's appeal or its legendary status as an FPS. I realize it built a basis for a lot of other really good titles, but that doesn't give it any replay value on its own. Don't get me wrong, it was okay, but as soon as Perfect Dark came out, I forgot all about it. And as soon as Timesplitters came out, I forgot about Perfect Dark. And I forgot about Timesplitters when I went back to Doom and DN3D.

- Don't get ROTT either. I know there was supposed to be some charm in its cheesiness, but it just didn't win me over. Can't even play through the second level.

View PostBloodshot, on 12 November 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

Daggerfall is the best TES game hands down.

This x1000. I haven't even bothered checking out Skyrim because after trying Morrowind and Oblivion, I pretty much gave up hoping that any other TES title would compare to Daggerfall. There's no point in denying partial judgement, though, Daggerfall is my favorite game, hands-down. It's the only thing I can get into enough to totally lose track of time.

- Brutal Doom isn't that bad. I can understand if you think it sucks, it is pretty gimmicky and its novelty definitely wears off after awhile, but for the first few plays, I feel like it's good for what it is; a lame, over-the-top gore mod. Sergeant Whatshisface is a total jackass though, and his horrible attitude has probably invited a lot of the resentment he's gotten.

- Quake 3 Arena was good but UT99 was better.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options