Duke4.net Forums: What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games? - Duke4.net Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I hate Steam, I liked it when games didn't need it to be installed.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Which was never?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postfuegerstef, on 11 November 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

- Perks and unlockables are horrible. The pure match score should represent the skill. Everything else just shows who played longest and sometimes even gets better weapons of so for playing longer.

You know what I hate? Pre-order bonus shit, store-exclusive bonus shit, and anything similar in scope. It seems every game today wants you to pay extra for shit that should already be in the fucking game.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 November 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

Monkey Island 2 was hand drawn with markers. Monkey Island 1 was not hand-drawn but created in Deluxe Paint. MI2 was probably the first game LucasArts ever did with scanned hand-made artwork so it can have some slack. There are palette issues, but it's still not that bad. MI2:SE was a much better improvememt in the art deparment, though. That said, I love Peter Chan's original drawings as well.

I meant hand-drawn in Deluxe Paint. Excuse me. MI2's art would be great if they hadn't done such a shit job putting it into a palette. And yes, the Special Edition looks great. The two Monkey Island SEs are one of the few times I've enjoyed an "HD remake". The voice acting and attention to detail throws everything over the top.

And speaking of adventure games, Telltale Games sucks. All of their games are like Grim Fandango with no originality or creativity or innovation. The graphics are pretty damn uninspired too.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 11 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, I remember having high hopes for Telltale....but they never did deliver and they just continued to get worse. BTTF is one of the worst games I have ever played. I never even bothered with their Jurassic Park. What kind of genius game design decision is it to remove all walking control from the player entirely and defend it as good game design?

Doom is overrated. Duke Forever is worse than Quake IV. Quake in general is overrated. UT is one of my fav MP games. All of them. Duke 64 is the best duke game.
I have yet to play a 10/10 game. Last of Us is extremely boring. I like my xbox controller more than my keyboard and mouse. Nintendo 64 is the best console, even today.
I'd rather want Interceptor to make a budget duke game, than Gearbox making a game, with no modding tools.
Borderlands suck. Half-Life is overrated. I still think Counter Strike 1.6 is among the best games ever made, with all its mods. I hated Goldeneye for N64. I think all Aliens games suck, besides AVP classic.
Oh and yeah. Of course. Duke Manhattan is the second best Duke game, right infront of 3D. Don't ask why i like Duke 64 more than 3D, i never understood it myself.
Oh man i love this thread, will come back with more stuff later ;)

I ought to be good at this...

> Wolf3D was outdated before work even started and every aspect of the game is ugly and off-putting because of it.
> Doom sucks, it did nothing innovative, Dark Forces is vastly superior, I also think Dark Forces inspired a lot of features in Duke3D which it was closer to than it was Doom... And I hate Star Wars.
> The SNES and Genesis are equal in their library. Whilst I prefer the SNES for nostalgia sake neither system would have been as good if the other hadn't been there.
> Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) IS better than Sonic 2, in every respect. Case closed.
> Quake was the beggining of Consolitis in FPS.
> Goldeneye further cemented this fact proving FPS should not be on a console but setting a benchmark for future FPS.
> Mario 64 is broken.
> Blood, whilst I really love it, is broken.
> 5th Gen consoles suck, the N64 has a good library but the graphics and controller are horrible, the PS1 is garbage and the Saturn has no games.
> The Saturn was the best 5th gen system from a technical standpoint but never reached it's potential.
> The Dreamcast is better than the PS2.
> The original XBOX was likely designed by Sega, it resembles arcade hardware they were running. Also, look at the controller.
> The XBOX controller is too small and I can't use it, how did they mess that up? The Dreamcast one was awesome aside from the plastic analog stick.
> Sonic Adventure is faster than all the later games, the motion blur just makes the new ones look quicker.
> Mario Galaxy is better than Mario Galaxy 2.
> DNF is more fun than CoD but I had more fun playing TF2.
> The GeForce 8 was a horrible card, the GeForce 7 and 9 were superior either for reliability or functionality.

Have fun hatin' my opinions.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 11 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

User is offline   Soap DX 

- Achievements have mostly become laughable in gaming, especially stuff like; "achievement for watching TV" on the new Xbox.

- I don't get how many Xbox 360's sold even though lots of people where aware they'd get Red Ring of Death, and went trough all the Bull**** of getting new consoles every time it broke. Would anyone buy a car knowing it would definitely break and be un-drive-able at any moment in a short time span?

- I don't get how people are always excited for the next COD game when each game comes out so soon it basically fractures the online community constantly. Does anyone still play the old ones? And is it fun to start unlocking everything over and over from the beginning?

- It freaked me out when someone compared modern gaming to the reward system they test with animals, press this button and the treat comes out. Do well and you'll unlock a weapon.

- I hate how many people's opinion on certain games or media is in fact the general opinion or most likely the critics opinion, and essentially make their mind up without even trying it.

- I don't like the idea that it's possible some games are made with the idea of getting you addicted to it, rather then being made to have fun.

... I hope I did those well.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Controversial posts ought to be voted up in this thread, not down. After all, they're just doing what the OP asks for.

Here's my controversial opinion. Duke Nukem 3D is the only game out there that's worth anything. The only other cool ones were my dinky side-scrollers and Need For Speed games I grew up with as a child.

This post has been edited by Radar: 11 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I like Jazz Jackrabbit & Commander Keen more than Mario and Sonic

• The Sarien Encounter

-Arkham Asylum is one of the greatest games ever made and is far better than Arkham City, but City is still quite good.

-Arkham Origins is just a title to milk more cash from the Arkham cow and should be half the price of what it is. Hopefully the next one by Rocksteady (as opposed to WB Montreal) will take the series back to innovation again instead of rehashing old material.

-I enjoyed myself playing Oblivion more than Morrowind even though I know that there is more game in Morrowind and is probably the better title

-The PS3 does not have better graphics than the 360

-The second best FPS game I've ever played is Unreal '98. Awesome pacing and storytelling without cutscenes or excessive (any) dialogue. The translator diaries dont count, you don't have to read them and you still get the gist of the story. It's too bad they didn't make any more good single player Unreal games with the same vibe and storytelling style. Unreal 2 sucked massively. I wish Unreal could be remade with today's tech.

-Besides UT99 to a lesser degree, Unreal has done nothing fascinating or interesting to me in the slightest since the first game.

-I never understood what was so fun and great about the MP-only FPS era. UT99 was alright for a bit but it gets repetitive quick. I hated Quake III. The only fun multiplayer games I enjoyed were HL1 mods. For the most part, I missed single player games.

-Team Fortress (any of them) is overrated

-The best FPS game is one of the Half-Lifes. Probably 2.

-Consoles are finally dying down and PCs are on the rise again. For a while it seemed like PC gaming was going downhill. This reversal is largely due to Steam, indie games, GoG, and Humble Bundle sales. (not to mention Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft sucking)

View PostHigh Treason, on 11 November 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

YEEESSSSS. Never understood why everyone loved Sonic 2 so much. Even the soundtrack (with the few good tracks it had) was lesser than 3/K's.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I don't like Telltale Games. Their like Lucas Arts without talent, charm or imagination.

With the exception of Anachronox, I can't stand j-rpg's.

I'm indifferent to the Halo series; it doesn't leave me feeling strongly about it one way or another.

The Mass Effect series is overrated.

I'm not excited about the new consoles.

I think John Romero's the man not only his id accomplishments but for securing an absurd Eidos publishing deal while he was in his twenties. It not only benefited Romero but allowed Tom Hall and Warren Spector realise their dream games. He's also rad for arranging deals for Strife, Hexen, Heretic and the initial funding and Unreal licence for Human Head Studios.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 November 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Which was never?

Every PC game I buy that is modern you need to install steam to be able to install the game. That's what I'm referring to. I liked it better when Steam didn't exist when you just bought the game for the game, and not all this achievements. DLC, etc. Steam should be an option but not the only option or else you can't play the game.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 11 November 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

>Will SgtMarkIV make a Brutal Duke in the future? ;)

Duke isn't brutal enough already? Come on man! Besides, he was recently banned over at the ZDoom forums, and his Brutal Doom is overrated. Leilei said once that the over exaggerated gore makes the weapons look wimpy, and he/she (sorry, I really don't know and I mean no disrespect) is absolutely right. It doesn't matter that he's a complete asshole and told a kid to commit suicide, that's not why I don't like Brutal Doom. I don't like it simply because of Leilei's point, and the fact that it ruins the gameplay when playing with the original maps, plus the gore all over the walls is just ridiculous, and his constant unnecessary edits are just awful. I would hate, hate, hate, HATE for their to be a "Brutal Duke", and I just don't see how that would be a good idea? DukePlus IS basically a Brutal Duke, and it did things right. It didn't just add a shit load of gore and weapons, it gave the player options, and it added new features for developer's to use so if you didn't like something you could turn that particular feature off.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 11 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I ought to be good at this...

> Wolf3D was outdated before work even started and every aspect of the game is ugly and off-putting because of it.
> Doom sucks, it did nothing innovative, Dark Forces is vastly superior, I also think Dark Forces inspired a lot of features in Duke3D which it was closer to than it was Doom... And I hate Star Wars.

Absolutely not.

That's a really common opinion. There's also a decent number of Nintendo fans who think it's better than SMW 1 or 2. Save for the Carnival Night barrel and the invulnerability music, that game is absolutely perfect.

> Quake was the beggining of Consolitis in FPS.

Nope. It never got a good console port.

> Goldeneye further cemented this fact proving FPS should not be on a console but setting a benchmark for future FPS.

Goldeneye was more complex than most other games and supported C button movement WASD style, so no. Goldeneye was the beginning of true complexity. It has aged poorly, though.

> 5th Gen consoles suck, the N64 has a good library but the graphics and controller are horrible, the PS1 is garbage and the Saturn has no games.

The N64's controller is fine as long as it isn't worn out. The Saturn has an amazing and diverse library. There's a reason the only console more expensive to own is the Neo Geo AES. The Saturn an expensive, elitist system for arrogant dicks with challenging games. It provides the most deep, complex 2D gameplay out of any console, ever. Especially if you have the RAM cart.

The PS1 is pure shit though. Mediocre 2D and shitty 3D. Nowhere near enough RAM and awful load times.

> The Saturn was the best 5th gen system from a technical standpoint but never reached it's potential.

Not at all. I'm the biggest Sega fanboy ever and I'll be the first to admit it's 3D capabilities are pretty bad. That system was being programmed "to the metal" from day one, there was MUCH less that could have been extracted from it later in life compared to the PS1 or N64. It's got the finest 2D graphics hardware ever put in a console, though. By a fucking country mile.

That system is proof that when Tom Kalinske talks, you fucking listen. He was ready to ink a deal with SGI and the Japs canned it. That hardware SGI designed later went on to be downgraded and turned into the Nintendo 64. The Saturn is an absolute disaster inside. Believe me, I've installed more than one modchip and even a highly cost reduced, streamlined 32-pin Model 2 has a shit storm of a motherboard. There's still four or five chips on the back because they ran out of room to mount memory and custom ASICs on the front. The entire Model 1 is beyond saving, overcomplicated in every aspect. Everything from the power supply to the disc lid sensor to the power buttons and LED's is a clusterfuck. Compare the final revision of the Saturn motherboard to the final revision of the full size PS1. It's 3x bigger and ten times as complicated. Both were being produced at the same time in 1999. It's impossible to condense and cost reduce. Sega lost over $80 on every one they built.

From a technical standpoint it's one of the worst systems ever. Even the later development kits with the Saturn Graphics Library and the improved C compilers were far slower than using assembly because the machine's design was a fucking trainwreck. And yes, I've seen the Shenmue beta footage. Did you know Yu Suzuki was utilizing an unused DSP on the fucking chipset to keep the poly counts up? Along with two other random DSP's that were poorly documented? Did you know that Burning Ranger's "transparency" effects run at half resolution, are made with unused cycles on the Motorola 68000 that drives the sound system, and halve the framerate? Yes, halve the framerate. The system has to render the environment, then a second pass for the transparencies (Which get directly written to the framebuffer in a MacGyvered way), THEN output the final image to your TV.

It's an architecture that was so bad it nearly killed the entire company.

> The Dreamcast is better than the PS2.

Absolutely. The PS2's GPU is better in poly count and fillrate. Inferior in every other way and then some. Plus DC has better games.

> The original XBOX was likely designed by Sega, it resembles arcade hardware they were running. Also, look at the controller.

It resembles an x86 PC. It doesn't resemble Model 1/2/3, ST-V, Naomi or Hikaru. Not in any way shape or form.

Sega's arcade hardware was based off GE, Lockheed Martin, in house designs, or NEC PowerVR. The Naomi system, which was a Dreamcast with double the RAM/VRAM, could be stacked in up to 16 units providing parallel processing. In addition to that, the PowerVR CLX2 uses tile based rendering, VC texture compression, and lacks TnL. It also lacks programmable shaders. It's nothing like the GeForce 3/4 Ti hybrid found in the XBox.

As for the controller...Starting with the Genesis, Sega was the leader in ergonomics. Sega pads, to this day, are still the most comfortable, save for the all new PS4 controller. Why would you want to clone a Sony or Nintendo pad? Those guys wouldn't know what ergonomics were, even if an Aeron desk chair hit them right in the head.

> The GeForce 8 was a horrible card, the GeForce 7 and 9 were superior either for reliability or functionality.

Agreed. Only the G92 based parts are good...which makes them 9 series cards.

Have fun hatin' my opinions.

Already did.

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 11 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

I spent 20 minutes adding stuff to that post, so you guys may wanna re read the Saturn part.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Wolfenstein 3D was not "outdated", it was intentionally made that way in favor of performance.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 11 November 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

>Doom 64 is waayyy better than the PC Doom due to it's scary looking demonic architecture and atmosphere. Not to mention it's scary-as-fuck ambient music and SFX.

I don't think that's very controversy.

This post has been edited by Fox: 11 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

Well, holy cow, I'm having a heart attack, Viper the Rapper didn't disagree with everything I said.

View PostViper The Rapper, on 11 November 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Absolutely not.

Why? Ultima Underworld wasn't an FPS but it was better looking and better playing than wolf save for it's horrible controls and most people not owning a machine that could play it... A middle ground between the two would have been favourable for me. As for Doom, Dark Forces had a more advanced engine, supporting FoF, RoR, Polygon objects and very large and complex levels. It has alt-fire weapons, objective based missions, inventory with IR Goggles, Headlignt - engine supports complex shading - ice cleats and more, there was dialog spoken by characters in levels, complex moving sector effects including sliding and rotating - even a 3d floating platform - awesome combat, sound and interactive music.

That's a really common opinion. There's also a decent number of Nintendo fans who think it's better than SMW 1 or 2. Save for the Carnival Night barrel and the invulnerability music, that game is absolutely perfect.

Funny thing is, I never had trouble with the barrels, but my friend grew up on Sega and still hates them, he'll reset the game and skip carnival night just to avoid them.

Nope. It never got a good console port.

What I meant was, it's movement, look and feel are more like a modern console game than an old PC FPS in my mind.

Goldeneye was more complex than most other games and supported C button movement WASD style, so no. Goldeneye was the beginning of true complexity. It has aged poorly, though.

I never liked it, it's something in the way the player character moves, feels similar to quake, and of course the bilinear filtering gives me a headache.

The N64's controller is fine as long as it isn't worn out. The Saturn has an amazing and diverse library. There's a reason the only console more expensive to own is the Neo Geo AES. The Saturn an expensive, elitist system for arrogant dicks with challenging games. It provides the most deep, complex 2D gameplay out of any console, ever. Especially if you have the RAM cart.

I can only speak from experience, I only own one good game on the Saturn. The N64 controller always confused me, my hand doesn't fit it in the way you are instructed to use it and reaching the R button is a pain.

The PS1 is pure shit though. Mediocre 2D and shitty 3D. Nowhere near enough RAM and awful load times.

Never met anyone that agreed on that before.

Not at all. I'm the biggest Sega fanboy ever and I'll be the first to admit it's 3D capabilities are pretty bad. That system was being programmed "to the metal" from day one, there was MUCH less that could have been extracted from it later in life compared to the PS1 or N64. It's got the finest 2D graphics hardware ever put in a console, though. By a fucking country mile. And yes, I've seen the Shenmue beta footage.

I still dont agree, and I still believe that the shenmue footage as an example because you've seen that looks better than anything the PS1 ever did.

It resembles an x86 PC. It doesn't resemble Model 1/2/3, ST-V, Naomi or Hikaru. Not in any way shape or form.

I was thinking of the Chihiro, but it may be later than the XBOX, it is a long time since I looked into it.

As for the controller...Starting with the Genesis, Sega was the leader in ergonomics. Sega pads, to this day, are still the most comfortable, save for the all new PS4 controller. Why would you want to clone a Sony or Nintendo pad? Those guys wouldn't know what ergonomics were, even if an Aeron desk chair hit them right in the head.

Don't agree on all of that, but I have certainly never had trouble with a sega pad (aside from the mentioned plastic stick, which I stuck a rubber pad from the PS1 to and said problem went away) everybodies fingers and thumbs seem to end up naturally fitting the button with their pads. I don't find the PS1 of SNES pad a problem either though. Now if you want a horrible controller, use an Atari 7800 with the thumbstick screwed in, otherwise use it without and end up with circle indented in your left thumb, the IntelliVision is fun too, but at least they get points for trying to innovate.

Agreed. Only the G92 based parts are good...which makes them 9 series cards.

In short, seems to have taken them a while to get it right.

As a general response, I have read my downvotes to mean I did it right;
Posted Image

View PostHigh Treason, on 11 November 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Well, holy cow, I'm having a heart attack, Viper the Rapper didn't disagree with everything I said.

]Why? Ultima Underworld wasn't an FPS but it was better looking and better playing than wolf save for it's horrible controls and most people not owning a machine that could play it... A middle ground between the two would have been favourable for me. As for Doom, Dark Forces had a more advanced engine, supporting FoF, RoR, Polygon objects and very large and complex levels. It has alt-fire weapons, objective based missions, inventory with IR Goggles, Headlignt - engine supports complex shading - ice cleats and more, there was dialog spoken by characters in levels, complex moving sector effects including sliding and rotating - even a 3d floating platform - awesome combat, sound and interactive music.

Not gonna lie, I haven't played Dark Forces so I can't really respond.

Funny thing is, I never had trouble with the barrels, but my friend grew up on Sega and still hates them, he'll reset the game and skip carnival night just to avoid them.

The problem is you press up/down to use them. Nothing in ANY Sonic game required that, and jumping on them causes them to move, just not enough. But it gives you the feeling that if you time it right, it will work.

I can only speak from experience, I only own one good game on the Saturn. The N64 controller always confused me, my hand doesn't fit it in the way you are instructed to use it and reaching the R button is a pain.

Take my advice, buy a modchip and an Action Replay 4M Plus for imports. Many of the best Saturn games are expensive, imports, or both. Rob Webb designed the v3 Universal modchip, and he's British, if you want your dollars to stay local. I've used that modchip and it's superior to the SSIC8B for some systems.

Never met anyone that agreed on that before.

I've met plenty. Anyone who plays A LOT of video games will agree that the PS1 is a lousy system. All the good games are on N64 and Saturn. Not to say there are no good games on the PS1. They just age horribly.

I still dont agree, and I still believe that the shenmue footage as an example because you've seen that looks better than anything the PS1 ever did.

Yu Suzuki said that only 1 out of 100 programmers can get all of the power out of the Saturn. That's a pretty terrible ratio. I guarantee you that game would have looked better on the PS1 or N64 if you gave Yu the tools.

The Saturn has less RAM for textures than the PS1 (512K vs ~700k), and a much lower fill rate. There's no triangle setup engine and no rasterizer. It's MUCH slower for lighting because it uses additive instead of multiplicative, and the quads make calculations even more complex. This is why the lighting is so "baked in" to the textures in Shenmue. Quads use more resources and actually slow the system down when viewed up close. There's no way to get good transparency on the Saturn. You can create nice water by drawing a transparent floor using VDP2, but that's about it. Unless you're fine with VDP1 having only one setting (50% opacity), bright overdraw on any quad that isn't perfectly straight, and full opacity whenever the object collides with pixels drawn in the background from VDP2, yeah, I guess you do have transparency effects.

I was thinking of the Chihiro, but it may be later than the XBOX, it is a long time since I looked into it.

Sega switched to x86 architecture after leaving the hardware business. Who wouldn't? All your engineers are gone anyway.

Don't agree on all of that, but I have certainly never had trouble with a sega pad (aside from the mentioned plastic stick, which I stuck a rubber pad from the PS1 to and said problem went away) everybodies fingers and thumbs seem to end up naturally fitting the button with their pads. I don't find the PS1 of SNES pad a problem either though. Now if you want a horrible controller, use an Atari 7800 with the thumbstick screwed in, otherwise use it without and end up with circle indented in your left thumb, the IntelliVision is fun too, but at least they get points for trying to innovate.

I seriously want to use a 5200 or 7800 controller just to see how much it sucks. But the Dual Shock is my least favorite controller ever. It just sucks at everything, and it's cramped and uncomfortable.

As a general response, I have read my downvotes to mean I did it right;
Posted Image

I didn't downvote because I don't roll that way.

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 12 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

Well, I'm going to go against the grain and upvote because that was very well constructed.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Dark Forces II has some of the best level design I've ever seen in a game, every single thing in that game was memorable.

I love HL1 but I do think Black Mesa is better baring some issues, though I had to get AI fixes and do some tweaking to make the soldiers fun to fight with all weapons, once I did it makes the game 100x better.

Somehow a custom mapper even remade the cut bits on On a Rail (Called OaR uncut) and managed to make it all interesting to play, whereas in HL1 OaR just felt tedius as fuck, even though it was trying to convey a sense of a long journey, the journey wasn't very interesting.

Terminator Future Shock should have been more influential than most games - it came out a year before Quake, and not only did it have 3D enemies, but MOUSE LOOK, sprawling nonlinear levels where every building is enterable, and fully functioning VEHICLES that drive like vehicles out of recent games (I E not shit)

Daggerfall is the best TES game hands down.

Hexen 2 is extremely fun and is superior in every way to the first game, except in maybe dark atmosphere.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 12 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

RARE made the best games on the N64 but now that name has been bought out by cunts.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostThe Commander, on 12 November 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

RARE made the best games on the N64 but now that name has been bought out by cunts.

I don't know how this can be considered controversial. If anything, this is the general consensus.

For one of your bluntness, Commander, that's disappointing. All bark and no bite! ;)

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 12 November 2013 - 06:15 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

I prefer Duke Nukem 3D with the music off.

I prefer Duke 64 over the original Duke Nukem 3D.

Mario in 3D is shite.

The PS3 is a piece of shit with a horrible interface, I got one just to play MGS4 and have no interest in ever playing another PS3 game.

The Xbox 360 is a great console apart from the early ones that break.

The new Shadow Warrior is a better game than the original.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon is an excellent coop game.

I liked the Mass Effect 3 ending (didn't see the original before it got fixed or changed).

Duke Nukem needs 98% less "erotic" stuff in future games or else they will end up terrible.

I can't play a game that forces you to use a female character, with the exceptions of Ayami in Tenchu and Metroid.

Ken is a lot better than Ryu.

GTA Online is awesome, I think the people who got bored of it so fast are the people who cheated and glitched their way to riches as opposed to gradually earning stuff.

2D scrolling beat em ups are one of the greatest forms of gaming that died out before they really had a chance to evolve, why could there not have been one with the complexity of Street Fighter 2?

This post has been edited by Ronan: 12 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostRonan, on 12 November 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

The new Shadow Warrior is a better game than the original.

The original will always hold a place in my heart - I think if there was a few things changed about SW it would be objectively better to me (more weapons and more level variety) but as it is it's a great reboot and I hope we see more.

I liked the Mass Effect 3 ending (didn't see the original before it got fixed or changed).

I don't mind it as a whole - I think most people were angry because they got too invested in the characters and wanted them to have epic space adventures forever and ever - I liked ME2 but I think it went too far making Shepard into a Mary-sue/Jesus-christ alike compared to ME1's Shepard. I didn't mind the ending because at the end of the day when big and bad things happen the idea that it'll all go back to normal, or the way it was, is pretty naive.

Duke Nukem needs 98% less "erotic" stuff in future games or else they will end up terrible.

Also agree, the token stripbar is alright but Duke wasn't a horny bastard in the first game. Everyone here has been over this a thousand times though.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostJames, on 12 November 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

The original will always hold a place in my heart - I think if there was a few things changed about SW it would be objectively better to me (more weapons and more level variety) but as it is it's a great reboot and I hope we see more.

Yeah, I love the original but I love the new one more, I guess it just was more my kind of game as I love extremely violent in your face melee combat with swords and freakishly large boss fights, the bosses in the original were dire.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostComrade Major, on 12 November 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

I don't know how this can be considered controversial. If anything, this is the general consensus.

For one of your bluntness, Commander, that's disappointing. All bark and no bite! ;)

Oh I see how we are rolling here, I will play this game...

Warzone 2100 is the best RTS ever, it is such a shame that it never got the spotlight that it deserved.
C&C Generals can suck my cock.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 12 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostViper The Rapper, on 10 November 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Wind Waker, despite being an absolutely terrible game, is beyond stunning to look at.

Now that is something I never thought I would read. ;)

-I love the Halo series, even if it isn't the greatest. I've played it since the very first game and loved it from then on!

-DNF has good combat and has some very unique moments, and the graphics are OK. I think that it would be my next favorite FPS, right next to Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, if only custom maps and content was a thing. The weapon limit is stupid, though, plus the shotgun is so godawfully short ranged.

-I think Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Homecoming are good games.

-I enjoyed playing Duke Nukem "3D" on the Sega Genesis. Somehow.

-I think the 3D Castlevania games for the N64 are freaking sweet.

-I hate Steam.

View PostRonan, on 12 November 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

2D scrolling beat em ups are one of the greatest forms of gaming that died out before they really had a chance to evolve, why could there not have been one with the complexity of Street Fighter 2?

They did evolve. But we only got one evolved specimen. Play Guardian Heroes on the Saturn. It's the gold standard for beat 'em up games. I don't know how good the 360/PS3 re-release is, but I'd go so far as to say the original is one of the best 2D games ever. It combines RPG elements, co-op, minion control, spellcasting, branching storylines and multiple plots/endings. It also has a real fighting game engine, unlike Streets of Rage or Final Fight. Cooler still, there's three lanes of combat you can switch between to evade hits, attack different enemies, or move out of the way to cast spells. Oh, and the soundtrack is the tits.

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 12 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Well, I've had a bit of a laugh at some of the responses here. I don't really have a lot of opinions about games but:

-Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure 2 are the most overated Sonic games in the series and they are also some of the worst games too

-WGRealms 2 is bad, really bad

-Grand Theft Auto 4 and 5 and the Saints Row Series are awful to play

-Quake 3 > Unreal Tournament

-The Xbox 360 is one of the worst consoles I have ever touched however, its controller is one of the best

-Console users, Steam forum users, GOG forum users, Reddit users (and probably another couple I missed) are some of the worst people on the internet, even worse than 4chan

-Redneck Rampage is a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad game.

-iOS Gaming (before the ginormous wave of in-app purchases games) was one of the best things ever

-Micky C is boring

This post has been edited by Lunick: 12 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostLunick, on 12 November 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

-WGRealms 2 is bad, really bad

I also used to think it's really bad, but when you actually invest some time into playing it; getting past the first level and getting used to the gameplay, it's actually really really really good Posted Image
Almost as good as the AMC TC

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostViper The Rapper, on 12 November 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

They did evolve. But we only got one evolved specimen. Play Guardian Heroes on the Saturn. It's the gold standard for beat 'em up games. I don't know how good the 360/PS3 re-release is, but I'd go so far as to say the original is one of the best 2D games ever. It combines RPG elements, co-op, minion control, spellcasting, branching storylines and multiple plots/endings. It also has a real fighting game engine, unlike Streets of Rage or Final Fight. Cooler still, there's three lanes of combat you can switch between to evade hits, attack different enemies, or move out of the way to cast spells. Oh, and the soundtrack is the tits.

Technos also made an arcade beat em up called Shadow Force that was pretty advanced, it had six buttons for moves for starters and unusually smart enemies.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options