Duke4.net Forums: What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games? - Duke4.net Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games?

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

We all have opinions that piss off 90% of the population, so let's vent them out and have a nice, heated debate.

I'll start:

-The Super Nintendo is the most overrated system ever. The CPU makes it completely useless for anything but RPG's and slow platformers. The library has way less diversity than NES and can't hold a candle to the Genesis.

-The Nintendo 64 was the best Nintendo system ever. They were at their creative peak and the 3D games aged pretty well compared to PS1 and Saturn.

-Half Life is a slow, boring FPS with poor pacing. Black Mesa is far superior.

-SiN makes my dick hard enough to cut diamonds and is one of the most influential games ever. No one, and I mean no one, gives that game any credit. I played it for the first time this year, I'm still in the process of beating it, and it's SUCH a breath of fresh air, even today.

-Speaking of people who don't get any credit, Sega is partly responsible for every major step forward in gaming. From online play to digital distribution to 3D graphics acceleration to 3D headsets they pioneered everything. Everyone has built off their ideas, moreso than Nintendo. Whenever they released something, they had it working fully 10 years ahead of schedule. There were rare exceptions like the Activator though.

I mean, dude, Sega Channel. Fucking Sega Channel. Digital distribution at lightning speed (Two minutes maximum for a full game download), 50 Genesis games a month for $20 a month. It had every feature Steam had minus the social system. Everyone used that system as the template ten years later.

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 10 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostViper The Rapper, on 10 November 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

-Half Life is a slow, boring FPS with poor pacing. Black Mesa is far superior.

I agree with you there. It hasn't aged very well IMO, and I never played it back in the day. The singleplayer campaign relied quite a bit on the immersiveness and the scare factor from scripted events. But come on, those scripted events are so god damn dull, at least in hindsight. Infested guy breaking through a door? Elevator with people in it crashing down? Yeah, moving on...
And after that, what else does it have to rely on, exploration? Yeah right, the levels are pretty linear. Combat? While it can be fun at times, like you said, it's pretty low paced, both inside and outside of battles.

Could never finish Half-Life, but HL2 and Black Mesa are fine for me.

View PostViper The Rapper, on 10 November 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

-SiN makes my dick hard enough to cut diamonds and is one of the most influential games ever. No one, and I mean no one, gives that game any credit. I played it for the first time this year, I'm still in the process of beating it, and it's SUCH a breath of fresh air, even today.

Picked it up on a steam sale. Even playing the first level you could see it was ahead of it's time somewhat with the realistic environments/level design, and some of the gameplay and interactivity. Unfortunately I'm also stuck on the first level, I have to find some kind of keycard or switch or something, but I've been over the entire level at least 10 times and haven't found anything. Even if I did come across a button of some kind, perhaps it was blended in with the background details.

Then again, I had the same problem with Hollywood Holocaust and Death Row in Duke 3D. The only difference is that a walkthrough instantly told me what I had to do and made perfect sense, and in hindsight the level detail is low enough that the keycards are pretty obvious 95% of the time.

User is offline   Jblade 

Half-life was the first FPS game to feature those kind of scripted sequences though. It was the first to try and create an immersive story through the environment rather than cutscenes and shit - it was also one of the first to actually try and build it's levels somewhat closer to reality. Explaining it would be like trying to say why Doom is still a good game, or Duke. The level of detail and love in trying to create an actual environment was amazing, doubly so when originally it was just going to be a Quake-knockoff.

Black mesa is amazing for what it is, but damaged by some stupid decisions regarding the accuracy of the human grunt enemies. The only viable weapon against them is the Python - that's not good or hard gaming, that's just shit for forcing you to use one out of a wide array of guns. The only other thing is that due to the increased detail everything feels smaller. Half-life felt huge, like Black Mesa was some kind of labyrinth. I don't really get that feeling with BM even though they added more unusable doors and areas and stuff. The voice actor for Barney is incredible though, he sounds so similar to Mike Shapiro it's spooky (fun fact, he voices the bad guy Mancini in wages of Sin)

SiN is also one of my favourite games - too bad Emergence was a flop. It's understandable though since it doesn't have anything of what made SiN fun.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostJames, on 10 November 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Half-life was the first FPS game to feature those kind of scripted sequences though. It was the first to try and create an immersive story through the environment rather than cutscenes and shit - it was also one of the first to actually try and build it's levels somewhat closer to reality. Explaining it would be like trying to say why Doom is still a good game, or Duke. The level of detail and love in trying to create an actual environment was amazing, doubly so when originally it was just going to be a Quake-knockoff.

Half-Life took those things further, but I'd claim Duke 3D laid the groundwork for Half-Life in those aspects. The Pig Cop that breaks through the wall in the store room of Hollywood Holocaust for instance.
Surprisingly I have to agree with Viper on almost every point. Never thought that'd happen.

Half-Life's combat is way better than Half-Life 2's though. The weapons in HL2 suck. And GTA IV is probably one of the worst games I've ever played if you view is at an action game - which it pretty much is.
Also DNF is the best FPS this century.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 10 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postnecroslut, on 10 November 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:

Also DNF is the best FPS this century.

This has to be a fucking joke...

User is offline   Mark 

My biggest gripe is digital distribution. Give me the good old days of going to the store shelves and bringing home games without restrictions and online requirements or other hoops to jump through.

No need to rip me a new one on this. I've read all of the pro and con posts in another thread about Steam. I am what I am. ;)

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy are overrated to the point of those ridiculousness. None of those games deserve the 100/100 ratings they seem to get on fan and gaming websites. JRPGs in general are rated higher than they should be due to extreme otakuness on the Internet.

Graphics and engine-wise, Shadow Warrior was superior to Duke Nukem 3D.

Team Fortress 2 blows the CoD series out of the water as far as fun FPS multiplayer goes.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I agree with you on the N64 being the best Nintendo system, and the other stuff except the SNES bit, I love the SNES as much as I do the Genesis.

-Blood was/is too underrated. It deserved way more attention than it got, and I feel that had it been as successful (or more so) than Duke Nukem 3d, the source code probably would've been released already.

-The COD series is shit, and so is the Battlefield series. I feel that COD's WW2 games are good, and the MW and others not so much, though Black Ops is probably my favorite for multiplayer. COD and Battlefield are only good for split screen play IMO.

-Halo is overrated.

That's all I can think of right now.

User is offline   Hank 

Ah, the rant thread

Game Reviewers are the most useless people on this planet. I hate critics - period. They produce nothing, sit on their fat arse and blab/scrible out their brain farts. Games come in such a wide variety, how the hell can you know what I like, or what is playable for me? Something I don't even know?

IGN, Gamespot and EuroGamers, are is still on a full ban,
YouTube and anything Google+ is blocked also, since Google rams down this Google + shit.
so you have the chance to proof me wrong with concrete data on how important those idiots really are, and I can't argue against.

How do I rate games when in doubt? I follow my torrents, if it is well seeded, it is worth a try and check it out. If I play it more than half an hour, I'll buy it.
Then there is IndieDB for new interesting games, so I am anything but game poor ;)

I forgot
Quake III Arena is the worst piece of shit I've ever got. It took three month to get it working ....

This post has been edited by Hank: 10 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Commander keen: Goodbye Galaxy is better than every Mario Super bros game.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 10 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

-I don't understand what the fuss is over Doom (I did grow up in that era, my first FPS was either Wolf3d or Catacombs of Abyss)

-Doom 3 was one of the scariest games I've ever played. (No, I haven't played F.E.A.R. or Amnesia yet)

-Linear games are awesome

-I know the limitations of the SNES yet I still consider it far better than the Genesis. I liked way more games on the SNES compared to the Genesis which had very few titles that I was interested in.

-Half-Life is still the best game series ever. Actually, it's tied with Space Quest.

-Steam is the best content delivery system I have ever had the pleasure of using. Never had a problem with it. Even when it first came out. It was not slow to download, never crashed or anything.

-Criticising critics is irony at its finest

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

User is offline   xBRYAN2000x 

• I need to grow up.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 November 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

-I don't understand what the fuss is over Doom (I did grow up in that era, my first FPS was either Wolf3d or Catacombs of Abyss)

-Doom 3 was one of the scariest games I've ever played. (No, I haven't played F.E.A.R. or Amnesia yet)

-Linear games are awesome

-I know the limitations of the SNES yet I still consider it far better than the Genesis. I liked way more games on the SNES compared to the Genesis which had very few titles that I was interested in.

-Half-Life is still the best game series ever. Actually, it's tied with Space Quest.

-Steam is the best content delivery system I have ever had the pleasure of using. Never had a problem with it. Even when it first came out. It was not slow to download, never crashed or anything.

-Criticising critics is irony at its finest

Im only making Blood Alpha and Doom maps, but im only making doom mods

NEW :

-1 Reputation means your just jealous of Doom is so awesome than Build Engine itsself its more easy to use

This post has been edited by xBRYAN2000x: 10 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

User is offline   Loke 

I prefer Doom 3 over Doom.

Also Hexen is the most tedious game I've ever played.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostxBRYAN2000x, on 10 November 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

-1 Reputation means your just jealous of Doom is so awesome than Build Engine itsself its more easy to use

Please go away and come back in three years. You have a lot of growing up to do.

View PostxBRYAN2000x, on 10 November 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Im only making Blood Alpha and Doom maps, but im only making doom mods

NEW :

*Multiple Facepalms*
Posted Image
And this:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 10 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

User is offline   Engel220 

I love Steam. I like the overlay (it has good practical uses; real-time clock, browser, friends list access etc all in-game), the sales are legendary, and now that Steam Workshop is adding titles regularly to its list of supported games the modding community is not so shunned anymore. If anything the modding communities are being welcomed with open arms and it also gets them a bigger audience thanks to an already massive number of users and seamless automatic downloads directly into Steam-based copies of the games listed in the workshop.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Let me add this one to this list:

Cell shading is amazing. It's drop dead beautiful. It ages better than any other art style save for intricately animated sprites. Wind Waker, despite being an absolutely terrible game, is beyond stunning to look at.

Being it back dickheads!

Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostMicky C, on 10 November 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

Picked it up on a steam sale. Even playing the first level you could see it was ahead of it's time somewhat with the realistic environments/level design, and some of the gameplay and interactivity. Unfortunately I'm also stuck on the first level, I have to find some kind of keycard or switch or something, but I've been over the entire level at least 10 times and haven't found anything. Even if I did come across a button of some kind, perhaps it was blended in with the background details.

Then again, I had the same problem with Hollywood Holocaust and Death Row in Duke 3D. The only difference is that a walkthrough instantly told me what I had to do and made perfect sense, and in hindsight the level detail is low enough that the keycards are pretty obvious 95% of the time.

There's a key on a desk in the office with the female hostage and the mercs who rappel through the skylight. You have to jump on the desk sometimes to pick it up.

That game has the best objective completed sound ever.

View PostComrade Major, on 10 November 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy are overrated to the point of those ridiculousness. None of those games deserve the 100/100 ratings they seem to get on fan and gaming websites. JRPGs in general are rated higher than they should be due to extreme otakuness on the Internet.

Ocarina of Time made me choose a Nintendo 64 over anything else back in the day. But Zelda is beyond overrated. Zelda games are old fashioned and they haven't tried anything really innovative in years. Just don't tell the fanboys that.

Between Yamauchi and Arakawa retiring, and Sega losing it's internal development studios, Nintendo has completely stopped caring. It's fucking depressing.

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 10 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

User is offline   Sangman 

IMO:

GTA games are incredibly dull.

Mass Effect 1 is the worst in the series. It's still good, but the planet exploration is bullshit, there's no indication of when crew members/important characters have something new to say so inbetween every mission I went all around my ship and back to the Citadel hoping to discover new information that would arbitrarily be important in saving their lives later on. In my first playthrough, I didn't do that, I ended up missing a whole lot of bonus missions, I finished the campaign rather quickly with multiple crew members ending up dead.
I enjoyed playing ME2 and 3 a lot more purely because they mostly got rid of that bullshit, even if they did cut down on a lot of RPG stuff. At least I could focus more on the story instead of having to walk up to every NPC 200 times. ;)

That's about all I think the rest of my video game opinions are pretty "normal".

This post has been edited by Sangman: 10 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

AMC TC and WGRealms 2 are some of the greatest games I've ever played.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

>Half Life is boring. Opposing Force and Blue Shift are better games.
>A Link to the Past is better than Ocarina of Time.
>Quake sucks. The gameplay is okay, it's practically Doom. But it looks absolutely deplorable, I'm not even a graphics whore. It's just ugly.
>Monkey Island 2 looks like shit. The graphics are poorly paletted paintings, instead of beautiful hand-drawn graphics like the first one.
>Contra isn't that hard. It's a great game though.
>Chex Quest is fun.

View PostLoke, on 10 November 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Also Hexen is the most tedious game I've ever played.

Implying no one disagrees with you. I love HeXen, but the gameplay is shit.

View PostViper The Rapper, on 10 November 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Cell shading is amazing. It's drop dead beautiful. It ages better than any other art style save for intricately animated sprites. Wind Waker, despite being an absolutely terrible game, is beyond stunning to look at.

XIII was a great game too. So Ubisoft never made the sequel and made hundreds of shit Tom Clancy games instead.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i pretty much stop playing most commercial games(series) once they migrate from 8bit graphics to high resolution/3D/whateverthefuck

when the game is more about the eye candy than the game, i'm not interested

User is offline   Malgon 

Sin was (sadly) overlooked by many due to it being released around Half Life. While it did have its own share of problems (long load times, bugs, etc.), I think it was a very cool game for its time and is probably still plenty of fun to play today.

User is offline   ---- 

- Achievemnts are the worst invention in gaming. They take away developing time for completely useless stuff. That time should have been spent on the gaming experience itself, not implementing some vars that track how often you have been jumping in multiplayer games or so.

- No hosted games can ever match the qualtiy of a real dedicated server (outside LAN, of course), no matter what the consoloeros say.

- Perks and unlockables are horrible. The pure match score should represent the skill. Everything else just shows who played longest and sometimes even gets better weapons of so for playing longer.

Oh, and:

- xBRYAN2000x's mods are the best I have ever seen.

User is offline   Komenja 

^^^ Agree with the first three points.

Goldeneye 007 for the N64 is overrated.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

- The Tomb Raider Reboot sucks and blows harder than Sasha Grey.

- Half Life 2 is boring as hell and overrated while Half Life 1 was good and SIN & SIN Emergence are better.

- GTA 5 is the most boring game in the main series. (Nothing will ever best Vice City)

- The Walking Dead Point and Click games are overrated and boring.

- Last of Us is overrated

- Beyond Two Souls sucked

- Metal Gear Rising > DmC Devil May Cry

- Batman Arkham Origins was a massive fucking disappointment

- Serious Sam will never best Duke Nukem in general

- Resident Evil 6 was crap

- Halo is cool, but Master Chief is overrated, Sgt Johnson is better.

Those are some off the top of my head that always got some whiny fanboys crying at me.

- All GTA games are terribly overrated with GTA IV being the worst of them

- Bioshock: Infinite is a mediocre game at best

- Unreal '98 is one of the best FPS games ever made as well as Half-Life series

- Devil May Cry 3 is the best slasher game

- Fahrenheit is overrated as well as Heavy Rain

- NFS series are mostly boring as hell

- Silent Hill 2 is a quite shitty game in terms of gameplay, but I love it anyway

- Quake III is the best online FPS

User is offline   Jeff 

Mass Effect 3's ending was brilliant. Bioware managed to indoctrinate their own customers with an indoctrination ending, not just Shepard. Like most indoctrinated characters of the series and despite all the loads of information and clues placed throughout the game and series, a lot of people to this day still don't think they were being indoctrinated, or that was even the case. Still clinging to plot holes, bad writing, etc. Kind of how the Council still didn't think the Reapers actually existed until they showed up on their door.

>Doom 64 is waayyy better than the PC Doom due to it's scary looking demonic architecture and atmosphere. Not to mention it's scary-as-fuck ambient music and SFX.

>Donkey Kong Country SNES trilogy is much better than the Super Mario Bros series. When Rareware was at it's finest.

>IGSRJ is funnier than the AVGN

>Terry WADs are fucking hilarious!

>Halo ruined the FPS genre and gaming forever by introducing regen health, two-weapon limit, linear levels, checkpoints, and no cheats in the world of gaming.

>7869.WAD anyone?

>Will SgtMarkIV make a Brutal Duke in the future? ;)

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 11 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostJimmy, on 10 November 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

>Monkey Island 2 looks like shit. The graphics are poorly paletted paintings, instead of beautiful hand-drawn graphics like the first one.

Monkey Island 2 was hand drawn with markers. Monkey Island 1 was not hand-drawn but created in Deluxe Paint. MI2 was probably the first game LucasArts ever did with scanned hand-made artwork so it can have some slack. There are palette issues, but it's still not that bad. MI2:SE was a much better improvememt in the art deparment, though. That said, I love Peter Chan's original drawings as well.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i find the first two monkey island games enjoyable, as well as loom and Sam & Max hit the road

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options