Duke4.net Forums: Chasm: The Rift - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chasm: The Rift

What is interesting, the mod uses the model for the unused "alien raptor" enemy.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postfuegerstef, on 04 August 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

It's funny how the most mentally challenged person on this forum says something like this.

Go fuck yourself, you fucking coward.

User is offline   Jblade 

Someone needs a Snickers, clearly.

User is offline   Jim 

Chasm and Quake monsters together:

https://home.kpn.nl/...ment_test~2.wmv

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostCryptKiller, on 05 May 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

I've found a very neat pre-configured copy of Chasm, with custom installer, add-on levels, audio CD support and the patch already applied: https://archive.org/...eRift-ZombsLair

For some reasons I could never get the game to work in DOSbox myself, but this worked. So I could finally play this game.

Fair warning to anyone: do NOT play this game on Hard, even if you play all and any FPS game on Hard. In this game it turns all enemies into bullet sponges, among other things, and considering the "in your face" enemy respawn traps in some of the later levels, it only makes it even more painful.

I played the add-on levels on normal and had a much better time.

User is offline   Jim 

Some chasm monsters converted to quake by Madfox

http://home.kpn.nl/l...ps/Chtest01.zip

map name is test10

User is offline   t800 

I am interested in trying this obscure FPS thing. But I would prefer using source port. I know there is one made by Panzerschreck, but its last version is like from 2017. So is whole game and expansion pack finishable in it?

User is offline   Jim 

No, sorry, and the author stopped development

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View Postt800, on 23 September 2019 - 12:54 AM, said:

I am interested in trying this obscure FPS thing. But I would prefer using source port. I know there is one made by Panzerschreck, but its last version is like from 2017. So is whole game and expansion pack finishable in it?

I mean, it mostly plays fine. I didn't finish the game using it, but I got pretty far. If there are any issues, you can just use no clip or whatever.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View Postt800, on 23 September 2019 - 12:54 AM, said:

The source port is interesting but inaccurate. I recomend using DOSBox and set the game resolution to 320x240. You might think is a very low resolution, but it's enough to enjoy the game and also to avoid frame rate drops.

You also need to set "core=simple" in DOSBox to make it work, but don't worry, you can use this bat file to avoid commands. Just place the required directories and the game will open by just double clicking the file:

Spoiler

User is offline   Jim 

almost all monster skinned by Madfox

https://www.dropbox..../loko1.wmv?dl=0

User is offline   Phredreeke 

You can patch the EXE and it will run in dynamic core (which is fast enough to run it in 640x480)

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 September 2019 - 10:46 PM, said:

You can patch the EXE and it will run in dynamic core (which is fast enough to run it in 640x480)
And how can I do that? I remember applying the patch 1.04 and also the 3298, which included the add-on, and none of them allowed the game to run in dynamic core.

I hope the mods don't mind given it's useless without the other files that goes with it. Just put this in your Chasm folder and it bypasses (to my understanding anyway) the CPU speed check (which is what crashes the game when run in DosBox with dynamic core)

Attached File(s)

Thank you! Frame rate is much better now..., but lighting effects are broken. I guess we can't have it all. :(

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Image1.jpg

User is offline   Lunick 

Didn't feel like making a new thread for this but, surprise! https://store.steamp...Chasm_The_Rift/

User is offline   Avenger 

View PostLunick, on 21 July 2022 - 04:28 AM, said:

Didn't feel like making a new thread for this but, surprise! https://store.steamp...Chasm_The_Rift/

Aside from the outragous system requirements to play a game from 1997 and the fact this is being released through the cancerous steam client, is there any more information on what this rerelease of the game will be?

Is this using the kex engine for example?

The more recent builds of the reverse engineered source port have fixed a lot of the problems/missing features the earlier ones had and generally make the experience better than using DOSBox but it`s still an unfinished project. Just trying to figure out if this will be an improvement over that or simply a quick cash grab of shipping the game files with a pre configured DOSBox config.

Dual core 2ghz and 4GB RAM is what I had in the laptop I bought 12 years ago. It’s hardly outrageous requirements.

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 July 2022 - 10:34 AM, said:

Dual core 2ghz and 4GB RAM is what I had in the laptop I bought 12 years ago. It’s hardly outrageous requirements.

Based on the fact that the game required a 486 at launch they sure are. Same goes for requiring an x64 compatible OS.

Regardless, anyone can still run this on potato hardware, my question, however, was regarding the engine since that would explain why the requirements were raised so much.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 24 July 2022 - 12:11 PM

Ooooh I'm sure the GZDoom devs love you :lol:

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 July 2022 - 12:14 PM, said:

Ooooh I'm sure the GZDoom devs love you :lol:

Do the GZDoom devs actually like anybody though?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options