Duke4.net Forums: Emo - Duke4.net Forums

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Emo

Poll: Emo (75 member(s) have cast votes)

Emo?

1. Yes (7 votes [9.33%])

Percentage of vote: 9.33%

2. No (68 votes [90.67%])

Percentage of vote: 90.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Teenage culture was great in the 1960's and 70's, sucked in the 80's, was great in the 90's and sucked again in the 2000's.

Teenage culture has zero bearing on how intelligent someone will be. I can tell you from life experience that Generation X'ers who grew up in the 1980's, one of the most culturally depraved decades ever, are far smarter, more rational, and are morally superior to their predecessors.

Being born in 1990, I could only catch a fleeting glimpse of what it must have been like to be a teenager in the 90s. All I remember was that people were very cynical back then; they tended to seem a lot smarter and mature than teenagers of the same age do nowadays. I can't figure out what the reason behind that may be. I initially speculated that it was because of Nirvana, but as mentioned above, it seems foolhardy to pin a generation down to a music band no matter innovative they may have been (and some argue that Sonic Youth, Pixies, and other bands were more influential, but simply got less publicity).

I'm entertaining the possibility that teenage culture may be cyclic, and that maybe, just maybe the next decade will see a spawn of more visionary, intellectual, free-thinking adolescents.

I'm not counting on it, though.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 13 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 13 October 2011 - 03:22 PM, said:

Being born in 1990, I could only catch a fleeting glimpse of what it must have been like to be a teenager in the 90s. All I remember was that people were very cynical back then; they tended to seem a lot smarter and mature than teenagers of the same age do nowadays. I can't figure out what the reason behind that may be. I initially speculated that it was because of Nirvana, but as mentioned above, it seems foolhardy to pin a generation down to a music band no matter innovative they may have been (and some argue that Sonic Youth, Pixies, and other bands were more influential, but simply got less publicity).

It's because many people in that era grew up in broken homes and had to fend for themselves. Another famous byproduct of the Boomer generation's selfishness.

Boomers have the highest divorce rate out of any age bracket. Their attitude at the time was if it doesn't work out, we can get a divorce. And when you have a ho-hum attitude about marriage, well, chances are you picked the wrong person to marry.

Parents at the time also had a nasty habit of pursuing their careers instead of raising their children...they didn't wait till their kids were in their mid teens.

Our parents generation didn't chill out and start to grow up until they raised us. Their elder children got the shaft, big time.

In case you can't tell, I really hate Baby Boomers. My parents were Boomers and they were awesome...but enough of those people are shitty that I will lump them into a group. Same thing goes for ghetto black people. Want to find a member of either group that isn't neurotic in some way? Flip a coin.

This post has been edited by Descent: 13 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Nirvana was the grunge band that the corporations picked up on and exploited. Ya see, most grunge bands had the awareness of punk bands. If you look at the 'big four' grunge bands of that time period you get these: Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots. Pearl Jam was the only one to have political lyrics. Some of the other ones might have at least dabbled in it, but for the most part, it was always drab woe is me type shit. And don't get me wrong, I love all four, but it's easy to see why Nirvana and AiC are still being pimped out by corporations. Their lead singers are dead, and their music has no political message, and doesn't inspire you to do better or be better. Pearl Jam is still kicking the shit out of everyone, but you never hear them on the radio or on TV, except for Even Flow. Funny that they pick the one sustaining PJ single, and you can barely understand Vedder. Grunge was an extension of Punk. The only difference between the two movements is that the corporations were surprised by Punk, but they were ready for Grunge. (If you don't believe me, just read into Grunge's beginnings, when Cobain was a kid he got arrested and much to the cops' chagrin, they found a Millions of Dead Cops cassette in his pocket. And Eddie Vedder covers punk stuff all the time. I also find it funny to look at the careers of the two remaining Nirvana band mate, Dave Grohl has become a corporate shill, while Krist Novoselic started a band with Jello Biafra for the '99 WTO Protests. It's hard to get more punk rawk than that.)

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 13 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

You forgot Sound Garden.... there are five major grunge bands.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't know how I forgot them either, but they're still in the same boat for the most part. But I've no idea how it slipped my mind, because Kim Thayil was in No W.T.O. Combo with Jello Biafra and Krist Novoselic.

View PostDescent, on 13 October 2011 - 11:47 AM, said:

I don't know what it's like in Russia, but you don't know anything about shitty generations.

I guess with this statement you assumed that I'm Russian or living in Russia?
If that's the case, then that homepage that I have there in my profile doesn't have anything to do with my origin.
I assure you that I am not russian, not even close!

As for the Baby Boombers, I've only heard bad things about them but I can't really say I've had any real reason to study them, since they are US people and USA is a million miles away from where I live.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 14 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The worst Baby Boomers are the ones who have parents that never recovered from the Great Depression. So they grew up with nothing, and had shitty childhoods. They grew up with warped fucked up mentalities, never fully experiencing childhood because they had to do a man's day of hard work. Then when they grew up and had money it was time for Wee Wee's Big Adventure. This is what happened to my father, and all of his worst qualities stem from his parents never being able to recover from the GD. (They were sharecroppers.) My ma was a little better off, but her parents were decently good off since her father kicked a lot of ass in WWII.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 14 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 14 October 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

Thats what a Russian spy would say! Eh comrad!

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 14 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Is it even practical to try to kill yourself by cutting veins? To be in actual danger you need to cut along the veins and even then there is real possibility of not dying.

This post has been edited by Helel: 14 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostReaperMan, on 13 October 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

You forgot Sound Garden.... there are five major grunge bands.

Four as far as I'm concerned, because I don't think STP belongs in that group, at least not in terms of cultural impact.

As for the other point of discussion, I was an 80's teenager and I don't emphatise with Descent's description of that era's youth culture.
I don't regret growing up in that decade at all, in fact if anything I would have liked to be born a couple of years earlier, so I would have lived through the early part of that time period a bit more consciously.

View PostX-Vector, on 15 October 2011 - 03:38 AM, said:

Four as far as I'm concerned, because I don't think STP belongs in that group, at least not in terms of cultural impact.

As for the other point of discussion, I was an 80's teenager and I don't emphatise with Descent's description of that era's youth culture.
I don't regret growing up in that decade at all, in fact if anything I would have liked to be born a couple of years earlier, so I would have lived through the early part of that time period a bit more consciously.

To each their own, but most people who didn't grow up in that era think it sucked. I'm glad I was born late enough to bypass it.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 14 October 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

I guess with this statement you assumed that I'm Russian or living in Russia?
If that's the case, then that homepage that I have there in my profile doesn't have anything to do with my origin.

As for the Baby Boombers, I've only heard bad things about them but I can't really say I've had any real reason to study them, since they are US people and USA is a million miles away from where I live.

Where do you live?

This post has been edited by Descent: 15 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDescent, on 15 October 2011 - 06:57 AM, said:

Where do you live?

Chechen Republic of Ichkeria?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostHelel, on 14 October 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

Is it even practical to try to kill yourself by cutting veins? To be in actual danger you need to cut along the veins and even then there is real possibility of not dying.

Pretty much. Vein-slicers are usually just looking for attention.

View PostX-Vector, on 15 October 2011 - 03:38 AM, said:

STP is and was definitely the least popular out of the big ones, I agree. I don't think it helps that they've never been consistent with their output. I only really like Purple, as a whole, and then a few songs from other albums. I think I might have forgot Sound Garden because I don't really think of them as Grunge all too much. They have such a metal edge to them, they're closer to Helmet than say Nirvana.

View PostHelel, on 15 October 2011 - 07:59 AM, said:

Chechen Republic of Ichkeria?

Do those guys even have internet?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 15 October 2011 - 02:14 PM, said:

Do those guys even have internet?

I don't know, you tell us.

View PostHelel, on 15 October 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

I don't know, you tell us.

When you say us, do you mean you and your supervisor that's sitting next to you at all times?
Or do you talk about you and your split personality?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 15 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Neither. I was talking about people on this forum.

View PostHelel, on 15 October 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

Neither. I was talking about people on this forum.

Aww, so you are the official spokesperson of this community and nobody else noticed.
Interesting.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMr.Deviance, on 15 October 2011 - 03:25 PM, said:

Aww, so you are the official spokesperson of this community and nobody else noticed.
Interesting.

We had secret election ballots a month ago. You weren't invited.

And apparently neither was I. :(

User is offline   Kathy 

Does the phrase "tell us" mean that I am speaking from the whole community? It's the public forum thus "tell us" include people reading it. And at least Descent wanted to know which makes us two.

View PostHelel, on 17 October 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

Does the phrase "tell us" mean that I am speaking from the whole community? It's the public forum thus "tell us" include people reading it. And at least Descent wanted to know which makes us two.

Descent didn't publicly ask to know from me if the people living in the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria have internet.
I recommend you stop asking me dumb questions and keep on topic, or else I will ignore your posts.

User is offline   Kathy 

Just now in the public transport stood near an emo boy. He was SO AWESOME. I was feasting my eyes on his neat face for half an hour. :unsure: And since he glanced at me several times it's a good thing I was pretty neat myself today.

Lol, public transport. That must be filthy in Russia...and us New Yorkers are famous for subway rats the size of Pomeranians.

Just buy a Lada dude.

P.S. Why didn't you just go up, flirt, and get some street meat?

This post has been edited by Descent: 23 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDescent, on 23 January 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

Lol, public transport. That must be filthy in Russia...and us New Yorkers are famous for subway rats the size of Pomeranians.

It's not that filthy, but crowded as hell in rush hour. It was to my advantage, though. :unsure:

Just buy a Lada dude.

LOL. No, thanks.

P.S. Why didn't you just go up, flirt, and get some street meat?

Because I'm too shy to go up on a street to a girl, let alone to some guy. Although, I might(yeah, right) if I see him next time. Hmm, I could have striked some conversation about music because he was listening to Portishead.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options