Duke4.net Forums: Anyone got defs, user, and game .con files for atomic? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone got defs, user, and game .con files for atomic?

User is offline   bobadoo 

I was getting ready to release this 5 level quest of mine which has new music for each level, and I wanted people to just be able to start eduke32, and at the bottom choose the folder with everything in it, but the problem is my defs, user, and game .con files were changed by Duke it out in DC, and I somehow lost the originals, and I don't have them backed up. My only backup has the messed up versions.

I was wondering if anyone has the original defs, user, and game .con files for Duke 3d Atomic edition, or know where I can get them?

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by bobadoo: 15 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

User is offline   tomo 

You can extract them files from the duke3d.grp file using this.Assuming you own the 1.5 version.

Attached File(s)

Thanks it worked.

The .con files I extracted said 1.4 at the top, does that definitely mean I have 1.4, or did they just not update the con files to say 1.5?

I tried doing the update here: http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/ to 1.5 but it didn't work... because I have windows 7 I'm sure. Is there any other way?

If I use the 1.4 con files with my level, will it cause problems for people who have 1.5?

User is offline   Hank 

View Postbobadoo, on 16 August 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

Thanks it worked.

The .con files I extracted said 1.4 at the top, does that definitely mean I have 1.4, or did they just not update the con files to say 1.5?

I tried doing the update here: http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/ to 1.5 but it didn't work... because I have windows 7 I'm sure. Is there any other way?

If I use the 1.4 con files with my level, will it cause problems for people who have 1.5?

They did not update the .con file heading, to 1.5 . Thus, using those .con files will be fine. Posted Image

That's what I was hoping. So about the version, if my con files say 1.4 do I def have 1.4? Or how do I know what version I have?

Sorry for all the questions, but it will be worth it when you all see my levels. I have well over 100 hours in to them. I started working on them in 1996, thought I finished in 98, but recently I did a huge update; about 10 hours worth.

This post has been edited by bobadoo: 16 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

User is offline   Hank 

This probably will sound like a stupid answer, yet if you do not have a full game of Duke 3D, the only way to determine which version you sort of have is to look at the file size of the Duke.grp, it should be ~ 43317 kB and in this grp file should be 19 .art files and the map files should end up in E4L11.

or just play it via EDuke32. If it says Atomic at the intro screen then you have version 1.5.

No that makes perfect sense, thanks. I got 1.5 then.

Now just so I can inform others when I release my map, what would happen if someone who had Duke 3D 1.3 tried to play my level with 1.4 .con files?

Or does nobody on this entire forum still use 1.3 anyhow?

This post has been edited by bobadoo: 16 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

User is offline   Hank 

If someone uses the original Duke 3D version 1.3, like on DOSBox, then anything done in 1.5 will not work for them. Those people may want to consider to click here and get Atomic version.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

1.4 and 1.5 for all intents and purposes are the same thing these days. 1.5 only introduced some minor changes to the Duke3D EXE file.

Well I downloaded a copy of 1.3 and tried using the 1.3 DUKE3D.GRP with the 1.4 con files and my levels still worked fine. It was funny though "The Birth" was still on the list, so out of curiosity I tried to play it, but it backs out and then plays the ending music lol.

So do people still play multiplayer, and if so how? It didn't look like eduke32 supported multiplayer, but I just got it so I don't know.

I wanted to know because I've been adding more multiplayer stuff to my levels I'm getting ready to release, like adding two med-kits side by side and making one of their pallets blue (multiplayer only), but I'm not sure if I should even bother.

User is offline   t800 

Multiplayer for Duke3D is still alive and kicking (but well, not as strong as for Doom).

Modern online dukers use multiplayer launchers (graphical frontends used for connecting to hosted games by others), most popular are: DukeMatcher and Meltdown

Old school classic gamers prefer to use original dos executable Duke3D emulated in DosBox, but most widespread nowadays are souce ports, which allows you to play Duke3D natively in modern operating systems.

From them the most popular source port for multiplayer is definitely hDuke. It could be argued that is most network code stable as yet. Some priase its authencity to original dos Duke3D feeling, but others criticise it for lack of any modern functions - no hardware accelaration - that means no OpenGL powered rendering (no support for HD resolutions or correct widescreen aspect ratios, no texture filtering, no support for additional 3D models and hi-res textures, no dynamic lighting, etc ... ), same map and code limits as old DOS Duke3D for user maps/mods, lack of any special modern features, ...

On other hand is Eduke32. It features almost everything that I listed missing from hDuke except for stable network code, as yet. This is caused by effort of its developers to offer us brand new modern network system that sadly still isnt finished so it is in pretty broken state at this moment. BUT, there is partial remedy for this, special edited version of Eduke32 with old network code was released that is reasonable multiplayer stable, so you can try that in meantime while new network code gets finished.

So pick your choose according to your taste. :P

This post has been edited by t800: 20 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the great reply!!! I tried searching the forum first, but couldn't find a strait answer.

If you want to play a custom level, I know both people have to have the map, soooo... how hard is it for people to download your map, or is it actually automatic?

User is offline   t800 

View Postbobadoo, on 20 August 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

If you want to play a custom level, I know both people have to have the map, soooo... how hard is it for people to download your map, or is it actually automatic?

Those multiplayer launchers take care of that, not source ports itselves. They work like this: somebody hosts game room, then other players join him/her in it. There they can have little chat, settle on gametype, used any additional user maps/mods, selected skill and episode/map while host set things up. Then match itself launch in-game. Most of multiplayer launchers allow you to easily check used additional user .MAPs/.GRP mods (obviously not DUKE3D.GRP :P ) and download them automatically (or manually if neccesary) from host player. If that doesnt work, you can still post/ask for download link for it in chat box anyway.

Most important rule for playing multiplayer if you want to avoid any possible problems is to keep everything exactly same as other dukers you want to play with have: that means same version of DUKE3D.GRP (1.3D or 1.4/1.5), same type or version of used source port (there is no cross-port compatibility, eg. Eduke32 players cant join game hosted in hDuke), same type or version of multiplayer launcher (again no cross compatibility, eg. Meltdown users cant see games hosted at DukeMatcher), or possibly exactly same additional user .MAPs and/or user .GRP mods or modified .CON files.

This post has been edited by t800: 21 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options