Duke4.net Forums: Blake Stone Planet Strike source code released - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blake Stone Planet Strike source code released

User is offline   LkMax 

Well ECwolf was still in beta when I first heard about it and it's based on wolf4sdl anyway. It looks promising, I just haven't tried it yet.
edit: minor corrections.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 13 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Essentially, ECWolf is to Wolf4SDL as EDuke32 is to the original JFDuke3D.

User is offline   Blzut3 

Just dropping by to comment on a few things:

View PostPlayer Lin, on 09 July 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Super 3D shitty ark Noah's Ark

I had fun playing through it. Contrary to popular belief it is not just a reskinned Wolf3D. While that is more or less true graphically, the levels are completely different and are fairly well designed. The bible quizes are completely optional as well and never affect the playe rnegatively (it's not even uncommon for a level to even lack quiz pickups entirely).

Is it worth the price Wisdom Tree is currently asking for it? Probably not, but isn't a bad game.

View PostNY00123, on 12 July 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

May it be the case that the original site for Wolf4SDL (http://www.chaos-software.de.vu/ seems to be the thing) is gone for good? :)

Woah, I wonder how long that has been down. If it's permanent I should probably mirror the binaries on my site.

I'm glad everyone is looking forward to Blake Stone support in ECWolf. :D (Also, for the few waiting for ROTT support, you'll be waiting awhile. ECWolf isn't even close to supporting it although it will eventually.)

User is online   Lunick 

I love you Blzut3

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostBlzut3, on 14 July 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

Is it worth the price Wisdom Tree is currently asking for it? Probably not, but isn't a bad game.

I don't know, I were downloaded the PC one of this game from somewhere on many years ago when I knew this game , and after played some levels, I don't feel its level layout got changed... or maybe I didn't fingered out what changed from original Wolf3D at all... I just don't know...

Seriously, 7.50USD......whatever. :)

I'm glad everyone is looking forward to Blake Stone support in ECWolf. :D (Also, for the few waiting for ROTT support, you'll be waiting awhile. ECWolf isn't even close to supporting it although it will eventually.)

Hope it's not "Soon™" or "When it's done." :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 14 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   Blzut3 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 14 July 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

I don't know, I were downloaded the PC one of this game from somewhere on many years ago when I knew this game , and after played some levels, I don't feel its level layout got changed... or maybe I didn't fingered out what changed from original Wolf3D at all... I just don't know...

Hmm... That does make me wonder if there's a pirate version going around with the Wolf3D levels inserted or something. I know the AVGN said the levels are identical (despite being able to show they are clearly not). But if you want proof: here are the maps to compare to the SNES wolf maps. :) (The SNES and PC Noah's Ark levels should be the same.)

View PostBlzut3, on 14 July 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

Hmm... That does make me wonder if there's a pirate version going around with the Wolf3D levels inserted or something. I know the AVGN said the levels are identical (despite being able to show they are clearly not).

Yeah, the AVGN one was confused me but I know it based on the not-real of urban legend about that game so...whatever.

Maybe I don't know, it was about many years ago, not sure my memory goes wrong or something...

View PostBlzut3, on 14 July 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

But if you want proof: here are the maps to compare to the SNES wolf maps. :) (The SNES and PC Noah's Ark levels should be the same.)

Great, I were searched something like that but didn't found anything, thank a lot... :D

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, but as a Wolf modder, I've become accustomed to the SDL port. The last time I tried ECWolf it didn't seem to run the original game very well. Anyways, I hope this source code is put to good use, and it may even help Wolf modders add new features they haven't figured out yet.

User is offline   Blzut3 

View PostMoose Man, on 15 July 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

The last time I tried ECWolf it didn't seem to run the original game very well.

Can you elaborate on this? If you haven't tried it since 1.0 you may wish to try it again since vanilla accuracy has been much improved.

• Honored Donor

I remember the HUD not functioning properly in the original game. I think the status bar face didn't work and the menus also seemed glitched, and so I just never tried it after that experience.

User is offline   Blzut3 

View PostMoose Man, on 15 July 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

menus also seemed glitched

You have the Apogee release and didn't patch it. Run the patch available on my website and everything will work fine.

This post has been edited by Blzut3: 15 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostBlzut3, on 15 July 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

You have the Apogee release and didn't patch it. Run the patch available on my website and everything will work fine.

Great it works now!

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

Has anyone tried to compile the Planet Strike source code as it is released?

I fired up good ol' Borland C++ 3.1 and after a little bit of guessing which files were required to build the game, I found out that some data is missing in the source code release. That would be the VGA palette and the color mappings for the light shading. (My guess is that those were stored in .OBJ files that weren't released along with the rest.) I ripped some bytes from the original executable to rebuild the missing source files and finally got the thing to compile.

The startup and menu work correctly, but as soon as the game loads a level it either causes DOSBox to crash or the game just displays a black screen and locks up.

If anyone's interested, you can find my rebuilt source files here.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Oh, much thanks.

Also i might of accidentally down voted you..... could someone please up vote him for me.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 17 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

User is offline   Blzut3 

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 17 July 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

Has anyone tried to compile the Planet Strike source code as it is released?

Actually yes: http://wolf3d.darkbb...ke-stone-source

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostReaperMan, on 17 July 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Oh, much thanks.

Also i might of accidentally down voted you..... could someone please up vote him for me.

If the mobile theme supported voting I would.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

View PostBlzut3, on 17 July 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Thanks. I have already found out what went wrong when I compiled it. Stupid self-modifing code...

If anyone's still interested, the updated version of my additions can be found here: http://k1n9duk3.k1.o..._additions2.zip

This post has been edited by K1n9_Duk3: 24 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

User is offline   Beloko 

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 24 July 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

Thanks. I have already found out what went wrong when I compiled it. Stupid self-modifing code...

If anyone's still interested, the updated version of my additions can be found here: http://k1n9duk3.k1.o..._additions2.zip

Awesome work. I have had a quick look at the source, quite a few ASM files. How much effort do you think it would be to convert to C? Is it obvious what the ASM is doing?

Looking to possibly port to Android.

Cheers!

User is offline   Tetsuo 

(Also, for the few waiting for ROTT support, you'll be waiting awhile. ECWolf isn't even close to supporting it although it will eventually.)

I am, especially since most other ROTT source ports have one issue or another and ecwolf has better widescreen than any of them.

Also I'm wondering if the surround sound support that gzdoom has is going to make its way to ecwolf some time... and support for MP3\Ogg\etc. sound codecs.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 24 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

User is offline   Blzut3 

Since I'm posting here I might as well share this little tidbit I found in the source: (Disclaimer: I don't know how well known this glitch is.)
		case 4:
			if (!gamestate.ammo)
				break;
			if (buttonstate[bt_attack])
				gamestate.attackframe -= 2;

case 0:
         if (gamestate.weapon == wp_grenade)
	         if (!objfreelist)
   	      {
					DISPLAY_TIMED_MSG(WeaponMalfunction,MP_WEAPON_MALFUNCTION,MT_MALFUNCTION);
	            gamestate.attackframe++;
				}
      	break;

case 1:
			// ... Snip standard weapon attack ...

This is the code executed on the second "fire" frame of the DND (chaingun replacement). Case 4 and 1 are basically verbatim from the Wolf3D source code, and case 0 was added to prevent the grenade launcher from firing if there's no room in the actor list for a new projectile. Due to the horrible indentation scheme a problem with this code being here is masked slightly. That is the intentional fall through from case 4 to case 1 is broken thus rendering the DND nothing more than a marginally faster RAW! (We're talking 2 tics here.)

As a side note, case 0 is close to impossible to emulate in ECWolf since ECWolf does not have an actor limit. Anyone have any opinions on what I should do about this? To emulate it strictly I could count the number of actors in the map and limit based on that, but there are two problems with doing that. First, without the actor limit mods can contain larger maps where this weapon would become useless. Second, it may not be a perfect emulation since ECWolf may not count the actors the same way (ECWolf does not contain a concept of "statics"). At the moment I'm opting to just forget about it since it's clearly a limitation due to technology at the time.

View PostTetsuo, on 24 July 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

I am, especially since most other ROTT source ports have one issue or another and ecwolf has better widescreen than any of them.

I'm kind of surprised none of the ROTT ports have added proper widescreen support yet. It wasn't all that difficult to implement. IIRC the biggest issue with ECWolf was scaling the hud, but that was mostly because I wanted to do aspect ratio correction as well.

View PostTetsuo, on 24 July 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Also I'm wondering if the surround sound support that gzdoom has is going to make its way to ecwolf some time... and support for MP3\Ogg\etc. sound codecs.

I can't really comment on the first part since ECWolf will not be using fmod since using it would force ECWolf to use the non-commercial license only. We'll see though. Definitely isn't a high priority since I have no way of obtaining surround sound at the moment.

As far as other codecs. As far as digitized music goes, ECWolf will support Vorbis, FLAC, and Opus once the sound code is refactored. Hopefully this will happen no later than 1.4. There are no plans to support MP3 since it just causes issues with porting to more obscure platforms and provides no real benefit over Vorbis or Opus. ECWolf already supports Vorbis and I think FLAC for sound effects.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostBlzut3, on 24 July 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

I'm kind of surprised none of the ROTT ports have added proper widescreen support yet. It wasn't all that difficult to implement. IIRC the biggest issue with ECWolf was scaling the hud, but that was mostly because I wanted to do aspect ratio correction as well.

Yeah, as far as I can tell there are only two major ROTT source ports at the moment. the SDL version of ROTT mainly aimed at Linux and WinROTTGL. The former hardly supports any high resolutions past 800x600 much less widescreen and with the latter the devs made it sound like it's very difficult to have widescreen support AND aspect ratio correction at the same time without compromise (such as stretching or pillarboxing) and IIRC they claimed that was a problem with ALL Wolf3D engine stuff. :P Also.. WinROTTGL only had 1920x1080 as their sole widescreen resolution and one had to make requests for other resolutions and they would make a custom build with it.

Also, SDL ROTT has bad MIDI support in their latest version and no music pack support that I know of.... and then there's the bugs....

So yeah, looking forward to ROTT support in ecwolf.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 25 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Looking forward to ROTT support as well. WinRott/WinRottGL are buggy and aren't very faithful to the original imho, not to mention the issues with sprite and hud scaling, etc.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are unfaithful but they are buggy and have long standing well.. lack of features that other source ports have. Also WinROTTGL doesn't support any other OS' natively other than Windows; ecwolf does... so yeah.

btw, I didn't think of WinROTT when counting how many ports there are but since it's by the same people as WinROTTGL I counted it together with it.... so there's three ports... SDL ROTT, WinROTT and WinROTTGL.

Then of course there's Return of the Triad but that's a fan TC and not a source port and doesn't have any of the original levels. On the other hand it has be best features out of all of those because of the features (g)zdoom has.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 27 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

I cant wait for ECWolf to support ROTT, it needs to be done.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 27 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

User is online   Lunick 

As Dave would say, "Soon".

View PostLunick, on 27 July 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

As Dave would say, "Soon".

DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

User is offline   LkMax 

With a much better ROTT coming out i'd rather have a ECBlake. After I tried the SDL version of Wolf3D the only thing I can think when playing Blake Stone is how it would be much better at higher resolutions... well, that and a possible mod which adds enemy pain state that is disabled in higher difficulties (when hit, the enemy is temporary stunned, like in wolf).

User is offline   supergoofy 

ECBlake (commits history only):
https://bitbucket.or.../branch/ECBlake

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 28 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostLkMax, on 28 July 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

With a much better ROTT coming out i'd rather have a ECBlake. After I tried the SDL version of Wolf3D the only thing I can think when playing Blake Stone is how it would be much better at higher resolutions... well, that and a possible mod which adds enemy pain state that is disabled in higher difficulties (when hit, the enemy is temporary stunned, like in wolf).

As Blzut3 said about the ECWolf development plan, the 2.x will completed supports for Super 3D Noah's Ark and ROTT, and then the 3.x for ECBlake...
(Maybe I'm wrong, correct me if I wrong please. :P )

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   Blzut3 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 28 July 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

(Maybe I'm wrong, correct me if I wrong please. :P )

Not quite, 2.x will include support for Noah's Ark and Mac Wolfenstein (and will also mark the point where mod compatibility is kept and the z-axis is implemented). In the mean time "ECBlake" will be released on a separate schedule just to get a Blake Stone port out asap. ECWolf 3.x will when the ECBlake stuff gets merged into the main development tree. (The 2.x line will probably be fairly short lived.)

From there on isn't as clear. Depending on how reverse engineering goes ECWolf 4.x will probably feature Corridor 7, 5.x Operation Body Count, and 6.x for Rise of the Triad. But nothing is set in stone here. It is very possible that ROTT support could come into the 4.x slot, but it depends on a lot of things that I can't forsee at the moment.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options