Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior Classic FREE TO PLAY on Steam - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior Classic FREE TO PLAY on Steam

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

"The grasshoppers have spoken and Shadow Warrior Classic (1997) will be free to play permanently on Steam! Get your katanas out and start slashing away!"

Enjoy. ;)

http://store.steampo...com/app/238070/

This post has been edited by Fox Mulder: 29 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

Nice but... How come it didn't came w/ Wanton Destruction & Twin Dragon add-ons?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 29 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 29 May 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

Nice but... How come it didn't come w/ Wanton Destruction & Twin Dragon add-ons?

It's just a simple DOSBox version. You could go download the addons to make it work if you wanted to but not including them may entice users somehow to buy the Redux version when it comes out.

User is offline   Engel220 

It should be made a bit clearer that this version isn't the + version with reworked features for modern systems, but a free game is a free game, and a good one at that. It's actually made me very hungry for the redux version, mostly because I do love SW, and partly because I get annoyed by setting up my control preferences and fucking something up every time I do.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostEngel220, on 29 May 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

It should be made a bit clearer that this version isn't the + version with reworked features for modern systems, but a free game is a free game, and a good one at that. It's actually made me very hungry for the redux version, mostly because I do love SW, and partly because I get annoyed by setting up my control preferences and fucking something up every time I do.

Shadow Warrior Classic (1997) vs. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. I think that is simple enough to distinguish the difference ;) There is also nothing in the description saying it is enhanced in any way so it is clear enough.

So a Shadow Warrior Classic Redux is in the works that comes w/ the addons? If so, I see.

User is offline   LkMax 

cross-post from zdoom forums, in case anyone needs:

Some tips for SW newbies:
- it can be harder than Duke3D but after some practice you can get into it more easly;
- The katana is really powerful, but you have to be fast and careful to not be hit while trying to reach the targets. Try to isolate them if necessary;
- There's plenty of ammo for the uzi and the riot gun so use them freely if you are having a hard time;
- Some weapons have 2 (or 3) alt-fires. To activate them simply click again on the weapon key (e.g. press 3 to select the riot gun and press 3 again to change to fully automatic);
- Be careful with red-pants and grey-pants enemies, they carry explosive guns/flashbombs. Be extra careful with the shadow (partially invisible) enemies: They can bring you down in seconds with their fire tricks.
- the suicidal coolies (the enemies that blow themself up) sometimes unleash their spirit to attack you. Watch their corpses for a few seconds (unless you explode them to bits).

PS: Blowing the green guardian monsters gives you a chance of acquiring their heads, which can be used as a powerful magic weapon (3 alt-fires).

This post has been edited by LkMax: 29 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Is the CD soundtrack included in this version?

EDIT: Awesome, it is!

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

User is offline   leilei 

WASD default?

Fortunately setup.exe can clear those back to the arrow key defaults I'm most familiar with

I also noticed it'll force the output to overlay regardless of what's in your config.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostLkMax, on 29 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

PS: Blowing the green guardian monsters gives you a chance of acquiring their heads, which can be used as a powerful magic weapon (3 alt-fires).

Didn't know Shadow Warrior was that racy.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostFox Mulder, on 29 May 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

"The grasshoppers have spoken and Shadow Warrior Classic (1997) will be free to play permanently on Steam! Get your katanas out and start slashing away!"

Only on Steam but nowhere else? isn't Steam the thing that wants you to be always connected to play the games?

Kinda meh.

[Edit] I stand corrected and my apologies for the misunderstanding.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 31 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

User is offline   leilei 

Steam's only a fancy downloader at this point. You can play it without it running.

• The Sarien Encounter

You can play this without Steam as it runs in Dosbox. You can just take the game files out. The original exe is just sitting there. Its not exactly integrated with steam.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostMrFlibble, on 30 May 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Only on Steam but nowhere else? isn't Steam the thing that wants you to be always connected to play the games?

Kinda meh.

It's also on GoG in-full, and you don't have to be online 24/7 as Steam has offline mode. You have to be online to validate CD keys and download games, otherwise you can keep it offline and play your games as well as the choice of disabling the optional Steam overlay in any game to allow for even less involvement from Steam if you want.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 30 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

User is offline   Komenja 

Also the GoG version does have the two addons.

User is offline   NY00123 

I have just loaded Shadow Warrior, originated from Steam, with a custom build of DOSBox (for GNU/Linux to be specific), and the game is working with emulated CD Audio and more; Oh, and Steam has not been running in the background.

P.S. just seen this post!

View PostKomenja, on 30 May 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

For now I'd say that, as of today, there are different (and legitimate) ways of obtaining the two addons... ;)

This post has been edited by NY00123: 30 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

User is offline   leilei 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 May 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

No you can't lol.

Yes you can lol.

..\bin\dosbox.exe -userconf dosbox_swarrior.conf -conf dosbox_swarrior_single.conf

Drop that .bat in the steamapps/common/Shadow Warrior Original/gameroot/ folder and then you can run it without "EVIL STEAM DRM BURN IN HELL STEAM1!1!111" lol

This post has been edited by leilei: 30 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostNY00123, on 30 May 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

For now I'd say that, as of today, there are different (and legitimate) ways of obtaining the two addons... ;)

Oh, do tell? I only know how to get Wanton Destruction from the 3D realms site.

User is offline   NY00123 

View PostKomenja, on 30 May 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Oh, do tell? I only know how to get Wanton Destruction from the 3D realms site.

Hint: Just in case if not remember/knowing, the second addon's name is "Twin Dragon". I guess that a simple search with a web search engine should suffice now ;).
In case you want to ensure it is legitimate, you can check for something here (although the URL is broken now): http://www.3drealms....shadow_warrior/

This post has been edited by NY00123: 30 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Thanks!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Both SW add-ons are free.

You can get Twin Dragon here: http://dukertcm.com/...warrior-addons/

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postleilei, on 30 May 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Yes you can lol.

Sorry. I realized what we were talking about after I posted that and went to edit my post with my phone. Apparently I never did push submit until just now. Stupid phone. You are of course right.

View PostKomenja, on 30 May 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Those are free anyway. There is literally no reason to buy this thing off GOG at all now, other than the extras but those aren't worth the prize GOG is charging. To clarify because there is some confusion:

A)Steam as normally implemented has an offline mode, it is NOT constant online DRM.
B)This is not Steam as normally implemented since it is just a downloader for Shadow Warrior. I know this since I have the game on GOG as well and I ran the two folders through a file/folder comparison tool and the executables for the two versions are identical.

In fact most everything about the two versions are identical, except for the absence of the addons on the Steam version. You can see my comparison here.

But like I said those are available for free anyway:

http://www.gog.com/f..._on_gog/post137

http://www.gog.com/f..._on_gog/post140

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 30 May 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Those are free anyway. There is literally no reason to buy this thing off GOG at all now, other than the extras but those aren't worth the prize GOG is charging.

Except that 3drealms will get a cut. If it matters to anyone.

View PostCathy, on 31 May 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Except that 3drealms will get a cut. If it matters to anyone.

If you want to support 3D Realms financially you could always buy some of their other games on GOG or on their own webstore! :lol: :lol:

• The Sarien Encounter

Seeing as it's free anyway, does anyone happen to have the Shadow Warrior CD soundtrack in FLAC? The one bundled with the Steam version is only lossy OGG.

View PostKristian Joensen, on 30 May 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Those are free anyway. There is literally no reason to buy this thing off GOG at all now, other than the extras but those aren't worth the prize GOG is charging. To clarify because there is some confusion:

A)Steam as normally implemented has an offline mode, it is NOT constant online DRM.
B)This is not Steam as normally implemented since it is just a downloader for Shadow Warrior. I know this since I have the game on GOG as well and I ran the two folders through a file/folder comparison tool and the executables for the two versions are identical.

In fact most everything about the two versions are identical, except for the absence of the addons on the Steam version. You can see my comparison here.

But like I said those are available for free anyway:

http://www.gog.com/f..._on_gog/post137

http://www.gog.com/f..._on_gog/post140

This is most helpful, thanks! I take my sceptical words from the post above back.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 31 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 May 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Seeing as it's free anyway, does anyone happen to have the Shadow Warrior CD soundtrack in FLAC?

Yeah, I have it, redump.org verified. (Same with Grabbag and the Blood CD audio.)

• The Sarien Encounter

I'd like to have it, please.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 May 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

The one bundled with the Steam version is only lossy OGG.

BTW, I wonder why they didn't just make an image of the original CD with audio tracks and then mounted it in DOSBox? Or doesn't DOSBox support this type of mixed mode CDs?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options