Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem II Announced for iOS - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem II Announced for iOS

User is offline   Jinroh 

Shades look great, I'm looking forward to giving Duke II another playthrough. :angry:

User is offline   DaveyDoomsday 

• Interceptor PR

View PostJinroh, on 18 March 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Shades look great, I'm looking forward to giving Duke II another playthrough. :angry:

It really plays great on the platform and it's a great game to play in short bursts. And this is coming from a guy who only owns Android devices and hardly plays mobile games. Really glad that Fred made the deal for us to port the classic Duke games to mobile. Android version next!

User is offline   thatguy 

Thanks Fresch and Davey for the free copies for all of us with iOS. :angry:

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Youre Welcome S.b!

oh wait... :angry:

User is offline   Saiyuki234 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 18 March 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Youre Welcome S.b!

oh wait... :angry:

after Duke nukem 2, do a HD remake of Duke Nukem Zero Hour!! : ) :woot: we would love it if interceptor remade it into a First person shooter with everything new :D

• Slipgate Studios

View PostSaiyuki234, on 18 March 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

after Duke nukem 2, do a HD remake of Duke Nukem Zero Hour!! : ) :angry: we would love it if interceptor remade it into a First person shooter with everything new :D

If the sourcecode exists, we would be more than open to the idea! :woot:

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Zero Hour HD would be great! If you could do the same with TTK and LOTB that would be awesome too. Plus do what GBX forgot and give us mod tools and level creators for them too lol.

User is offline   Kathy 

Duke Nukem Forever HD please.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostCathy, on 18 March 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

Duke Nukem Forever HD please.

I agree Duke Nukem Forever 2001 HD would be awesome! :angry:

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'd like to see Duke Nukem I with Duke Nukem II graphics. With a toggle between them.

Quick question: you're making a new theme song because you can't use the Bobby Prince originals, does that also mean that you can't use the original adlib music tracks for the rest of the game? It would be a shame if we didn't get to hear the old tunes in the game. That's one thing I hate about some remakes. Like TMNT4 on XBLA. They changed all the music and removed anything that was a reference to the tv show, including half the levels. Wish I'd never bought it.

Anyway, hopefully we still get he same musical experience in-game for Duke2 iOS.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 March 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

I'd like to see Duke Nukem I with Duke Nukem II graphics. With a toggle between them.

I don't think that would happen... ones EGA and the other is VGA.

View PostWesker500, on 18 March 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Zero Hour HD would be great! If you could do the same with TTK and LOTB that would be awesome too. Plus do what GBX forgot and give us mod tools and level creators for them too lol.

Sadly, Eurocom (the developers of Zero Hour) closed down a few months ago, so we will never see the Source code of ZH, n-Space is still out there, but i don't think they are the kind of company who keeps the source-code of their games on a safe place.

User is offline   Rellik 

View PostReaperMan, on 19 March 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

Since the game will likely be reverse engineered, I don't see why it couldn't be a possibility.

See also: Secret of Monkey Island:SE (I don't think SoMI was reverse engineered, but you get the idea)

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostReaperMan, on 19 March 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

I am of course referring to reverse engineering and/or remaking rather than simply altering graphics with the current engine.

User is offline   K100 

The music from the trailer:

User is offline   Saiyuki234 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 18 March 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

If the sourcecode exists, we would be more than open to the idea! :angry:

well..since your open to the idea, i think you should revamp everything : ] and keep in mind that Duke Nukem Zero hour was on the Nintendo 64 and is in Cartridge Format. :D

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Anyone else notice the whole cityscape in the background of that new Duke art that goes with this is just textured with photos taken from motherboard manufacturer websites? There are PCI slots and sockets and capacitors and everything all over the place. The ground actually says ASUS on it just below Duke's crotch. :angry:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Maybe the story is getting rebooted so that the Aliens have been slowly infiltrating our society like in They Live, and Asus is actually a corporation founded and run by the aliens Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTerminX, on 26 March 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Anyone else notice the whole cityscape in the background of that new Duke art that goes with this is just textured with photos taken from motherboard manufacturer websites? There are PCI slots and sockets and capacitors and everything all over the place. The ground actually says ASUS on it just below Duke's crotch. :angry:

Okay, that is freaking hilarious.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTerminX, on 26 March 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

The ground actually says ASUS on it just below Duke's crotch. :angry:

Well its in Duke's tradition to steal art lol.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 March 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

Quick question: you're making a new theme song because you can't use the Bobby Prince originals, does that also mean that you can't use the original adlib music tracks for the rest of the game? It would be a shame if we didn't get to hear the old tunes in the game. That's one thing I hate about some remakes. Like TMNT4 on XBLA. They changed all the music and removed anything that was a reference to the tv show, including half the levels. Wish I'd never bought it.

Anybody?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I still don't understand how they can't use the BP theme song. I would assume that's part of the package deal.

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm assuming that they couldn't REMIX it. Like what they did with Fastway for ROTT. Hopefully the original themes are still present during play. Since I am not getting an answer on this I'm worried they're not...

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I wouldn't worry about the in-game music. Bobby Prince composed some of songs for Duke 3D and that rereleased just fine, as did Doom. (Except they removed D_EVIL and D_ULTIMA, but that's its own rant.) Besides, I don't think the team would be able to figure out how to replace the Adlib IMF music.

• Slipgate Studios

All of the original music is present since its part of the original game.
But It's a very rare case.

We cannot do a remix, since it would be used for commercial purposes, to sell/market a product, or be in a product that is being sold (Duke Nukem II iOS).
Even if we remade the music, and released it for free, it would still be adding to the commercial value of our products.

Bobby Prince owns the rights to his own music, regardless of which games it appears in.

Short Version:
No one is allowed to sell/use (remake) his music anywhere in relation to a commercial product, unless it's already part of the product itself.

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 27 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

• el fundador

My understanding of US copyright law says that he can't just arbitrarily place restrictions on his works like that. Once a work has been published you cannot prevent someone from recording a cover version of it. You would need a mechanical license to re-arrange the work, and you would have to pay some pre-set royalty fee (I don't know what the fee is, it's defined by the law), but the licensing is compulsory and cannot be denied.

• Slipgate Studios

TerminX, everyone can record a cover of it, and share it (A lot have, if you look around youtube). But none of these covers are commercial covers.
You would have to pay Royalties, but that requires that a deal is made in the first place, and thats unfortunately not something anyone has had any luck with, in relation to his work.

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 27 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Why not get in touch which Bobby? I don't think it would be that hard since he is doing music for the Indie FPS Wrack?

• el fundador

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 27 March 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

TerminX, everyone can record a cover of it, and share it (A lot have, if you look around youtube). But none of these covers are commercial covers.
You would have to pay Royalties, but that requires that a deal is made in the first place, and thats unfortunately not something anyone has had any luck with, in relation to his work.

What I'm saying is that the original artist actually has no say in whether or not you are granted a license to release it commercially. There are organizations (the Harry Fox Agency is the big one) that you pay the royalties directly to, and they handle giving them to the artist. Research it!

Edit: just saw your PM. That's unfortunate. :/

User is offline   Lunick 

https://itunes.apple...d619201240?mt=8

Runs like shit on my iPod though :)

EDIT: After investigating the files:

-Duke Nukem 1 will be an in app purchase
-There are multiple levels of emulation to get this game running including http://www.aemula.net/ and http://rxdos.sourceforge.net/

EDIT2: Looks like someone made a booboo at Apple, the game wasn't apparently meant to be out yet and the screenshots don't have the sunglasses on Duke.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 02 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options