Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded - Gearbox Boycott - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded - Gearbox Boycott

User is offline   ---- 

View PostWesker500, on 23 January 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

... Gearbox, they are one of few remaining game developers that actually give a damn about making great games and not money.

Yes. Indeed.

I think it was YOU who wrote that on the GBX forums, weren't you?

Pitchford: Fans, buy the game.
Fans: Begging your pardon, sir, but F**K YOU!

Pitchford: HEY I'm not the developer here ironsides, I mostly just lie to people!

And please don't tell me you hadn't see that coming. Evidence for that debacle called A:CM was all over the place for about 4 months at least.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View Postfuegerstef, on 14 February 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

Yes. Indeed.

I think it was YOU who wrote that on the GBX forums, weren't you?

And please don't tell me you hadn't see that coming. Evidence for that debacle called A:CM was all over the place for about 4 months at least.

I just want to post the source to that. http://forums.gearbo...d.php?p=3695259

Edit:

Also I have no idea what he's really thinking or what anybody's going to say, but in the context of what he said previously he was referring to Gearbox. In this forum post he's referring to Randy Pitchford. Now the argument could go a few different ways, one could argue that Pitchford is essentially Gearbox being that he's the president\CEO of it, or you could take it as Gearbox as a whole and Pitchford as an individual are two different concepts, but I don't know, I'm playing both sides here for the hell of it.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 14 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Oh boy. So the Gearbox boycott is still on? Posted Image

a bit extreme positive, yet, I can't resist
http://www.gamasutra...es.php#comments

and Forbes, also a bit positive
http://www.forbes.co...lonial-marines/

It looks like a below average game to me, for PC, and a no buy. (Saying it, just in case)

@ fuegersteff - I quote Randy
I can't understand why anyone would take opinions which basically suggest that we hate our fans. It's insane.

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostSpirrwell, on 14 February 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

Also I have no idea what he's really thinking or what anybody's going to say, but in the context of what he said previously he was referring to Gearbox. In this forum post he's referring to Randy Pitchford. Now the argument could go a few different ways, one could argue that Pitchford is essentially Gearbox being that he's the president\CEO of it, or you could take it as Gearbox as a whole and Pitchford as an individual are two different concepts, but I don't know, I'm playing both sides here for the hell of it.

Solution is that he thought GBX makes great games and cares for their games before ACM.

How one could come to that conclusion after Randy's lies for DNF (secret levels, etc), completely subpar trailers for ACM compared to the E3 demo, a review embargo (!!!) and more hints that ACM will be a bad game is beyond me ... but hey.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postfuegerstef, on 14 February 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

a review embargo (!!!)

While I would like to beat Randy and GBX for all eternity, but "review embargo" is a normal thing. It always was a normal thing in popular media reviews. Whether game is good or bad, AAA/mainstream games almost always have an embargo.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Randy doesn't deserve to stand next to Elvis and Jimi Hendrix at 0:45 .

User is offline   xMobilemux 

OK Yeah I admit I was wrong and really wrong.

Gearbox is a shitty company, I had to learn that the hard way.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah Gearbox got too big too fast and couldn't handle the pressure, like a giant sun that collapsed under its own mass to form a neutron star. To think they actually believed they could singlehandedly release DNF and make it good...
From what I've been reading, a lot of organisational problems led to the game sucking. Sounds like 3DR to me.

Btw, does anyone else notice that Randy is getting fatter and fatter in each interview? He's got a solid double chin going these days. He'll be George Broussard 2.0 in no time.

This post has been edited by The Big Cheese: 14 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I don't think Gearbox expected to make a good game out of DNF, they just realized there was a big fandom who would be willing to spent their money. They put some glue in the DNF half done assets and mixed it with some generic modern game, and hyped it as much they could.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postlambdist, on 27 January 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Yes. Maybe video of gameplay presentation etc. But if someone will leak, so GBX will help them to go to the jail etc. =-)

Bullshit. It was floating around in torrent form and via download links for quite awhile. I know for a fact a few members of this board had access. Which is why I asked. Kind of the sorta thing someone could choose to PM me about if they so chose. If you know what I mean.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostFox, on 14 February 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

I don't think Gearbox expected to make a good game out of DNF, they just realized there was a big fandom who would be willing to spent their money. They put some glue in the DNF half done assets and mixed it with some generic modern game, and hyped it as much they could.

In that case they were a big enough of a company to think that they and their reputation could survive intact from a failure like DNF. Although now it must look really bad for them that it's happened a 2nd time and there's much less of an excuse except for being a crap developer, either creatively or organizationally.

User is offline   Sangman 

Random brainfart post here that might not make much sense:

Honestly because the Borderlands and Brothers in Arms series as well as the Half Life expansions are awesome, and also based on some stuff I read, I believe that with DNF and A:CM, Gearbox got a bit thoroughly screwed by circumstances.

There's nothing wrong with the devs there, there's definitely a capable crew. I think the problem is more with management. A: CM was partially outsourced to TimeGate because Gearbox was busy working on Borderlands 2 and when SEGA wanted to rush it out the door they apparently had to plead for 8 months extra time. It's not enough time to properly finish a game. Something similar happened during the Gearbox days of DNF's development I'll bet ie. managers taking up too more projects than the company can actually handle. Borderlands 2 is a great game IMO and it really shows that almost all of the work was spent on that. If there were no Borderlands and all the effort was focussed on Aliens: CM I'm sure it would've been great.

I still believe in Gearbox as a development studio but Randy Pitchford (and others I guess) need a swift kick in the butt to make them stop taking on too many projects at once.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 15 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostSangman, on 15 February 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Random brainfart post here that might not make much sense:

Honestly because the Borderlands and Brothers in Arms series as well as the Half Life expansions are awesome, and also based on some stuff I read, I believe that with DNF and A:CM, Gearbox got a bit thoroughly screwed by circumstances.

There's nothing wrong with the devs there, there's definitely a capable crew. I think the problem is more with management. A: CM was partially outsourced to TimeGate because Gearbox was busy working on Borderlands 2 and when SEGA wanted to rush it out the door they apparently had to plead for 8 months extra time. It's not enough time to properly finish a game. Something similar happened during the Gearbox days of DNF's development I'll bet ie. managers taking up too more projects than the company can actually handle. Borderlands 2 is a great game IMO and it really shows that almost all of the work was spent on that. If there were no Borderlands and all the effort was focussed on Aliens: CM I'm sure it would've been great.

I still believe in Gearbox as a development studio but Randy Pitchford (and others I guess) need a swift kick in the butt to make them stop taking on too many projects at once.

If you look into it, both DNF and A:CM were products of either 'taking shit from another company' or 'outsourcing to another company'. Gearbox works best working on their own games. If it wasn't for Borderlands 2, A:CM would of been there baby.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSangman, on 15 February 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

There's nothing wrong with the devs there, there's definitely a capable crew. I think the problem is more with management. A: CM was partially outsourced to TimeGate because Gearbox was busy working on Borderlands 2

Simply put, Sega gave GBX a job to do an Aliens shooter. GBX apparently decided it better would be outsource it without checking how outsourcing is doing until is was too late.
And it's GBX's problem that they needed to do B2, not Sega's.

when SEGA wanted to rush it out the door they apparently had to plead for 8 months extra time. It's not enough time to properly finish a game.

In all honesty, Sega gave them 6 years to make this game. It's more than enough.

User is offline   Fox 

View Postlambdist, on 27 January 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Yes. Maybe video of gameplay presentation etc. But if someone will leak, so GBX will help them to go to the jail etc. =-)

No, it won't.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostCathy, on 15 February 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Simply put, Sega gave GBX a job to do an Aliens shooter. GBX apparently decided it better would be outsource it without checking how outsourcing is doing until is was too late.
And it's GBX's problem that they needed to do B2, not Sega's.

In all honesty, Sega gave them 6 years to make this game. It's more than enough.

You are right of course but like I said this is a problem with management (IMO), not so much with the skills of the actual developers.

User is offline   Kathy 

Who said anything about GBX's skills as developers? Except that maybe it was their job to make that demo really awesome.

Main concern is that hype was riding on a lie, in which GBX played a vital part. And in the end, it to my delight damaged their reputation as a company. Whether it was management's or developer's fault is not important.

View PostCathy, on 15 February 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Who said anything about GBX's skills as developers? Except that maybe it was their job to make that demo really awesome.

Main concern is that hype was riding on a lie, in which GBX played a vital part. And in the end, it to my delight damaged their reputation as a company. Whether it was management's or developer's fault is not important.

I'm not going to condemn GBX over the oversight from management and downplay the company's future with their next games. Vital or not, its a mistake they are fully aware off and will not let it happen again.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I thought they already made that mistake with DNF.

User is offline   Fox 

I don't think game developers care much about reputation, they have made plenty of money and that's what really matters.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostRadar, on 15 February 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

I thought they already made that mistake with DNF.

Yes.
As for Aliens, I don't want to be in a meeting with SEGA, requesting an explanation for the royal fuck up.

My hope here is that GBX got burned so bad right now between 2K and SEGA, that what ever next venture GBX produces will be truly awesome. Posted Image

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 31 January 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Wut? All they had was fucking models of dumpsters and pipebombs. Give me a fucking break.

They had Hollywood Holocaust, at least a good portion of it from what I recall. They had the pipebombs, a bunch of scenery models, the Ripper Chaingun in-game, and the RPG. They also had some preliminary multiplayer stuff in there as well from the looks of that one leaked video, seeing as there was some "Capture the babe" related stuff on the HUD.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 15 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 15 February 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

They had Hollywood Holocaust, at least a good portion of it from what I recall. They had the pipebombs, a bunch of scenery models, the Ripper Chaingun in-game, and the RPG. They also had some preliminary multiplayer stuff in there as well from the looks of that one leaked video, seeing as there was some "Capture the babe" related stuff on the HUD.

That doesn't matter. What matters is that we bash the project.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 15 February 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

That doesn't matter. What matters is that we bash the project.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 15 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostFox, on 15 February 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

I don't think game developers care much about reputation, they have made plenty of money and that's what really matters.

Tell that to George Romero.

View PostCathy, on 16 February 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

Tell that to George Romero.

Daikatana could of turned out great....it didn't....but you know what I mean.

@486DX2: LOL HOLY SHIT

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostStrikerMan780, on 15 February 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

No. They had half the road section of Holly done. The movie theater couldn't be entered. The sounds to the weapons didn't match up and their animations were fogey too. They had no multiplayer. They had no CTF.

The quicker you accept it, the better. DN:R was trash.

This post has been edited by Radar: 17 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Oh good grief, get the fuck over it, people. They had a bunch of haphazardly slapped together shit. It's like if your lady friend burned your dinner but said "Oh well, at least the filet mignon was expensive." It's still garbage.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options