Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] KNEE DEEP - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] KNEE DEEP  "Doom remixed in WGR2 with dynamic lights."

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Thank you Drek and Micky C for this episode! :)

This post has been edited by EMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT: 22 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostDrek, on 20 December 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

I feel the need to let you know I have a major update coming around New Years.

View PostForge, on 20 December 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

No problem. Would you like me to wait for the update before I do a review?

We're working hard on a quite substantial update. It's currently undergoing another round of testing. Sorry for the delay, but it won't be too long of a wait. Another week or three... no more than a month... or two... :)

JK won't be long at all now.

Hey I just downloaded this and playing it now.
Thanks for making something new for WGR2. :) nice to pick the game up again after so long.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Cheers! I hope you enjoy it.

That update I promised is still forthcoming. My desktop crashed :) thankful for svn now :)

I'm going to go get the latest version and release it here today. It's much improved over the first release. I was hoping to polish it more, but this doesn't mean I can't. Jedrik is in now ;)

Here it is! KNEE DEEP VERSION 1.1 NOW WITH FULL JEDRIK SUPPORT!!

Attached File  Knee Deep V1.1.zip (10.19MB)
Number of downloads: 461

This post has been edited by Drek: 21 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

tried playing this with the polymer lighting redux version, but the game is so black i can't anything except where the lights are. makes it very difficult to navigate and enemies/weapons/equipment/items are impossible to see in dark areas away from the lights.
not my cup of tea to walk around bumping into walls and getting tore up by opponents that are practically invisible.
usenewshade & shadescale didn't change anything

so for my purposes (review) would it matter if i played in classic with the polymer lights on (&32bit) -or- would you rather the lights be off (& 8bit) in classic?
i don't want screenshots misrepresenting the intent of your work

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

I'll look into the lighting issues you've mentioned. I remember Micky wanted it darker. I feel like an ass to mention the ambient light slider to you, but it may be that you can crank up some visibility there.

As far as the classic episode, it's intended to be playable in all three render modes, however you choose to play is fine by me.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Sorry, I was just testing the lights when I noticed I failed to include a folder of new art files in that zip. A new weapon has been added to Jedriks arsenal, Energy Gauntlets. If you are one of the 5 early downloaders, I'm truly sorry. I've updated the download link above.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDrek, on 21 April 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

I'll look into the lighting issues you've mentioned. I remember Micky wanted it darker. I feel like an ass to mention the ambient light slider to you, but it may be that you can crank up some visibility there.

As far as the classic episode, it's intended to be playable in all three render modes, however you choose to play is fine by me.

this is at max ambient light

guess how many barrels are left in this corner
Attached Image: duke0002.jpg

there was alot of time and effort put into implementing the lights so i'll probably go with classic episode & polymer

edit: and the team needs to finish up with their projects and release an updated wgr2. i'm tired of the double barrel shotgun not changing over when it's empty. shit gets me killed so many damn times cause i don't watch the ammo count in the middle of fighting a handful of baddies

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's not meant to be pitch black. I wasn't involved with the latest update, but everyone else convinced me to have it 2 or 3 shades off black, so that it was dark, but bright enough to play through without polymer lights, although it would probably give you a headache from all the squinting.

Assuming the shades haven't been changed, it's probably just an r_shadescale problem (it's supposed to be set in the included .cfg file). I wonder if the r_usenewshading 2 has anything to do with it, since I think that was implemented after this was created (but reverted?).
Btw, if you're going to play with polymer, and you've got a 64 bit OS, use a 64 bit eduke32.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMicky C, on 21 April 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

Assuming the shades haven't been changed, it's probably just an r_shadescale problem (it's supposed to be set in the included .cfg file). I wonder if the r_usenewshading 2 has anything to do with it, since I think that was implemented after this was created (but reverted?).

so here are the lines in the included file:

autoexec.cfg
r_shadescale 1.08
r_usenewaspect 0

for some reason trying to use the console while in game doesn't work (the file is not read only)

i'll edit these manually to see what i get since obviously one size does not fit all

edit: had to go do this extreme to make it playable

autoexec.cfg
r_shadescale 0.1
r_usenewaspect 0

gamma 1.10
contrast 0.95

ambient light slider 4.0

i hate messing the gamma,etc. corrections. i can see now, but i always feel like the areas that were previously lit now looked washed

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

• Honored Donor

That's definitely not right. What's the r_usenewaspect anyway? Are you using r_usenewshading 1?

Drek has more experience with tweaking shadescales than I do and can probably help with this. Unfortunately he doesn't have internet to his home at the moment and has to go to his local library or something to check the forums.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMicky C, on 22 April 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

That's definitely not right. What's the r_usenewaspect anyway?

i didn't write the included autoexec.cfg so i don't know why that line was put in there
but i'll hand jam r_usenewshading 2 into the file, remove the aspect line and see what happens

r2358 | helixhorned | 2012-02-18 09:56:39 -0800 (Sat, 18 Feb 2012) | 9 lines

Menus: make aspect ratio also control r_usenewaspect.

- RENDERER SETUP is now also accessible from classic, with only 2 options:
'aspect ratio' and 'ambient light level'
- remove the latter option from the VIDEO SETUP menu
- When compiled with OpenGL, the aspect ratio option cycles between 3 states:
r_usenewaspect=1 (the modern way), and r_usenewaspect=0 but r_widescreen=0/1.
In non-GL builds, there are only 2 states.
- don't display black translucent overlay in COLOR CORRECTION menu

&

http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Setaspect

edit: changed the cfg file
added : r_usenewshading 2
removed: r_usenewaspect 0

no difference

the console commands only seem to work with the classic episode, so i'll just get through lighting redux as is. won't gripe about it too much since the classic episode is there as an option

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

User is offline   Forge 

more game related issues to pass on to your anonymous coder

the little skull icon disappears while scrolling through the keyboard setup screen

for some reason the polymer checkbox has to be ticked everytime the game is launched. doesn't do that with vanilla game which remembers the last option used

these guys frequently don't respect doors and pretty much walk through them like they don't exist
Attached Image: duke0003.jpg

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thanks for the feedback Forge, I apologize for the issues your having. It is my mistake, I included the latest version of eduke32 with the package instead of the one that was used during testing. I believe most of these problems will be fixed using the older eduke version.

EDuke32 2.0.0devel r3262
Compiled Dec 9 2012 06:00:52

more game related issues to pass on to your anonymous coder

About r_usenewaspect 0, it is there for some compatibility issues with the shotgun.
About r_shadescale 1.08, that was how I found it in the svn, just like most of the code you see. DT has added a lot of new code since WGR2 was released. I was the one who made all the knee deep con files based of where WGR2 sits in the svn, well somewhere between the current state and the original. It's Dan's code for the most part, my mess though :) I'm the one who coded Jedrik's new fifth arrow type, the spy arrows didn't fit in the tight corridors, I replaced them with grab arrows.

for some reason the polymer checkbox has to be ticked everytime the game is launched. doesn't do that with vanilla game which remembers the last option used

I think it's to do with using a custom grp file, it annoys me also. I believe it could be fixed changed in the executables.

these guys frequently don't respect doors and pretty much walk through them like they don't exist

I know, I can't remember it happening anytime other then while playing Knee Deep. Has this ever happened to anyone in WGR2 siegebreaker? or was it my coding? I have no clue why or how it's happening.

• Honored Donor

I don't remember it in Siege Breaker, but for the record I didn't notice it in Knee Deep either.

User is offline   Forge 

it didn't happen in siege breaker. it happens quite frequently now in knee deep (and not because they get into "charge" mode - they just walk right through doors like they aren't there)

for future reference - you probably shouldn't submit new releases with untested snapshots

i'm going to continue on with what i have instead of downgrading. i've already played to the first soul gate and then re-started new games multiple times just to get the visibility right & test some of the game's aspects and mechanics

it'd also be nice to fix the stats at the end screen.
i.e.
0/0 golden apples

0/0 every thing kinda sucked. i wanted to know how many there were and how many i found

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

User is offline   Forge 

reviewed:

http://www.scent-88....K/knee/knee.php

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thank you very much! I just read your review, I loved it. I didn't expect to score over 90, you just made my day! :)

• Honored Donor

Thanks for giving this some more visibility. It kind of slipped under the radar at the initial release.

We should probably actually release it on the WGRealms 2 moddb page (after these issues like darkness and enemies walking through doors are fixed?)...
The wider community probably thinks WGRealms 2 is dead by now.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDrek, on 21 April 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

Sorry, I was just testing the lights when I noticed I failed to include a folder of new art files in that zip. A new weapon has been added to Jedriks arsenal, Energy Gauntlets. If you are one of the 5 early downloaders, I'm truly sorry. I've updated the download link above.

View PostForge, on 24 April 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Forge, it seems you were among the five early downloaders. The version on scent-88.com is not the latest.

User is offline   Forge 

i fucked up and submitted the wrong file

it'll get fixed

the correct version is now uploaded

This post has been edited by Forge: 26 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

So I finally had some sleep, then free time. I looked at the shading issues, I believe all is fixed simply by using the tilde ~ button to open the console and typing r_usenewshading 1

here are two pics I took showing the "new" default shading compared to the original default shading, now called r_usenewshading 1
Attached Image: duke0000.pngAttached Image: duke0001.png

About the stats screen, what's happened there is the project was split into multiple maps, for performace and music reasons. Now the stats don't carry over, I should be able to store them safely, across all Knee Deep maps to display after beating the Boss.

I'll be looking at the axe demon code to see why he's been slipping through the cracks. It'd be cool to get this up on Moddb soon, I've already added the r_usenewshading line to the autoexec.cfg so it shouldn't be an issue moving forward.

User is offline   Apiai 

Hi guys,

when installing Knee_Deep, it overwrites eduke32 (version r1836 to r3262), and then i'm having an issue in WGR2 with shotgun aiming while zooming.

Attached Image: aiming.png

(When i play with eduke32 r1836, there's no issue anymore.)

It's strange that zooming is good in Knee Deep but not in WGR2 ?!

this is without a doubt 1 of the best Duke in Doom like mods i've come across and have been able to play to. the other would be the HellDuke TC, though i never could play it cause of the game.con error myself and others seem to be getting. hopefully someone can remake that mod or something. anywho, i like the music in this, and levels are cool to. seems like there 1 long continuous map, like pieces come together. which is fine. without a doubt there are some challenging moments

This post has been edited by NukemRoses: 28 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostNukemRoses, on 28 May 2014 - 06:45 AM, said:

this is without a doubt 1 of the best Duke in Doom like mods i've come across and have been able to play to. the other would be the HellDuke TC, though i never could play it cause of the game.con error myself and others seem to be getting. hopefully someone can remake that mod or something. anywho, i like the music in this, and levels are cool to. seems like there 1 long continuous map, like pieces come together. which is fine. without a doubt there are some challenging moments

:)

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Hey nice job it's very good man, it's time for me to make tracks

i can't seem to be able to get this mod running now. each time i try to load into the game, when the loading screen is finished. the game just closes on me, which is weird. i can play WG Realms 2, but i can't seem to get this Knee Deep episode mod to work for it

• Honored Donor

Could you post your log and crash log files? You need a debug eduke32 version for the crash log.

View PostMicky C, on 22 August 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

Could you post your log and crash log files? You need a debug eduke32 version for the crash log.

well. i looked at the EDuke32 and it said "EDuke32 2.0.0devel r3701" and that's the EDuke that came with the knee deep episode mod, and i looked more into it and at the end of the log thing i see this

"E1L1: Knee Deep Classic
Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out.
g_errorLineNum: 4326, g_tw: 12"

EDIT: so after trying out other EDuke variations i have, i finally got it to work with a EDuke that uses the GRP files from Megaton. so things are finally working on it, and i'm glad to cause i really like the Knee Deep episode mod for WG Realms 2

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 22 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

• Honored Donor

I'm glad it's working for you and that you like the mod :D

However it seems you got a bit lucky with that Megaton thing and I'm wondering if other people may have the problem. I'm no code guy and don't understand what's going on, but hopefully someone who knows what they're doing pops their head in and sheds some light onto what that Fatal Signal Caught error is.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options