Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

View PostJuris3D, on 12 July 2015 - 11:29 PM, said:

When I played "TV" I kinda felt, or understood, that those "planets" are not round, that they are flat but wrapped, cycled. I knew it is a trick, but it was nice feeling of continuity, that I can go anywhere, just fly around and not bouncing into any artificial border (like in "G-Police", nice game, bad boundaries). I understand that in "TVHD" some changes are inevitable, I am just saying those wrapped levels in original was good thing :) . Well, just my personal opinion, of course.

Here's another problem with wrapping - as i've stated before it is hard to implmement it on ready-to-use 3d engine such as unity3d, because it practically needs that i'll need to
  • Create a multiplatform C++ based component which gonna create completely different type of terrain - one which can load it's tiles independently with ability to address them via short/ushort
  • Write collision detection compatible with physx for said terrain.
  • Add Quadtree terrain pixel error calculation to reduce number of distant rendered polygons.
  • start assigning every enemy to said coordinate system as well which means rewriting unity transform. That or adding a continious check for every enemy which gonna put a strain onto game speed.

In the end it just not worth the time and effort to create such a gimmick for something which doesn't even make any sense. :V

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I still think your idea of chaining together the missions was a good one. (Still get the "wrapping" effect, but with the maps all tied together. For maps that have fewer parts, make some new terrain to fill it in.)

I don't like the idea of having boundaries. That sense of freedom, even if it was an illusion, was a big part of what made Terminal Velocity and Fury3 great. A lot of people who liked the original would likely pan the game if this was changed.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

User is offline   Juris3D 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 13 July 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

... That sense of freedom, even if it was an illusion, was a big part of what made Terminal Velocity and Fury3 great. A lot of people who liked the original would likely pan the game if this was changed.

Exactly my thoughts too. As long as you don't go into "teleporter", you are free to fly anywhere, no time or space restrictions.

• Auramancer

Posted Image
Made a new icon, based on the original Fury3 one.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

Well, I like that icon, and I want it on my PC desktop, clickable and runnable :)

• Auramancer

Anyone here that's really good at debugging? I need a guy who can track down the most vexing of bugs. I'm getting a crash that seems to happen at random, and the source is hard to track down.

Here she is. In all her glory. Re-imagined TV-205 "Warsword".
Posted Image

And here's 3d viewer https://sketchfab.co...04730d640a31e51

A quick explanation for what the hell are symbols - if you've read manual you know that ASFAR pilot is member of Ares squadron. Well i extrapolated a bit on that idea and came up with this insignia
Posted Image

Ornament on the armor is basically celtic ring ornament. I did it because from the top fighter looks like a hilt and a handle of an old celtic war sword. (hence the name "Warsword"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostStrikerMan780, on 15 July 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

Anyone here that's really good at debugging? I need a guy who can track down the most vexing of bugs. I'm getting a crash that seems to happen at random, and the source is hard to track down.

My trifecta for tracking down random bugs is Valgrind, ASan, and Xcode (believe it or not). Not at the same time though.

• Auramancer

Unfortunately, it seems none of those run on Windows.

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 15 July 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

Here she is. In all her glory. Re-imagined TV-205 "Warsword".

Congrats with this model! I would put "+" to post (and other posts here), but somehow board not letting me do that.
About ship in upcoming remakes, well, let's just put some clone of Snow Speeder (from Battle of Hoth) here, we all know we want that :) Just change speeder from original a little, and name, say, "Terminal Speeder" :D . For legal reasons. Okay, I am joking. Or am I.... ? :D

View PostJuris3D, on 15 July 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

Congrats with this model! I would put "+" to post (and other posts here), but somehow board not letting me do that.
About ship in upcoming remakes, well, let's just put some clone of Snow Speeder (from Battle of Hoth) here, we all know we want that :) Just change speeder from original a little, and name, say, "Terminal Speeder" :D . For legal reasons. Okay, I am joking. Or am I.... ? :D

Already have that as third iteration of adamant
http://smoketh.devia...ork-3-424854561

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 15 July 2015 - 11:57 PM, said:

Already have that as third iteration of adamant
http://smoketh.devia...ork-3-424854561

Hallelujah !

• Auramancer

I'm about fucking ready to break things and give up. Anyone here knowledgeable in Assembler? I need someone who can re-interpret a few functions in C.

Assembler fucking sucks.... *sigh*

If I can't get this done, the project is dead in the water.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 17 July 2015 - 04:57 AM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 July 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

I.. Anyone here knowledgeable in Assembler? I need someone who can re-interpret a few functions in C.

I am not a programmer, but I will ask some guy I know. But that will be next week, he is in hospital now. Anything more specific that I should ask him? Maybe in PM or Skype? But, like I said - not today anyway.
Take a break, do something else, calm down :)

• Weaponized Autism

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 July 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

I'm about fucking ready to break things and give up. Anyone here knowledgeable in Assembler? I need someone who can re-interpret a few functions in C.

Assembler fucking sucks.... *sigh*

If I can't get this done, the project is dead in the water.

I can take a look. Shoot me a PM.

• Auramancer

Welp, the project's dead for now. I'm unable to continue without being able to decode the assembly. I spoke to Mark himself and Hendricks... no dice.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 July 2015 - 08:13 PM, said:

... the project's dead for now.

It just has a pause :) . Think that something good will come up, and imagine things will get figured out, and they will. Thats how World around responds to positive thoughts, it really works, tested :D. Please leave me message with information what exactly I should ask to ppl that know Assembler. Good luck!

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

You should ask our resident asm genius.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostDaedolon, on 18 July 2015 - 03:01 AM, said:

You should ask our resident asm genius.

Last Active: Nov 29 2014 02:19 PM

I think we need to get his butt online

• Auramancer

Aye. Basically, the code I'm working on is the renderer from Hellbender. I want to make a Multi-Platform port that can run all 3 games in one application. However, while the code has a C-based renderer as an option, it's incredibly out of date, missing functions, and is incompatible with the game itself. (Polygons go nuts, the game crashes, etc.).

I want to get it working, because it's far superior to Fury3's renderer, as it has better texture precision, Goraud shading, dynamic lighting, and more. However, since it's x86 Assembly written for MASM, not only will it not work with other processor architectures, it'll never work on anything but Windows, meaning no Linux or OSX support. (WINE will do no good, as it doesn't support the latest VC2015 runtimes as far as I'm aware. Besides, doesn't beat a native port.)

Everyone stay calm. we're migrating renderer to ogre.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 18 July 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

Everyone stay calm. we're migrating renderer to ogre.

OGRE (Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine) is a scene-oriented, real-time, 3D rendering engine (as opposed to a game engine).

So you're curing the disease by killing the patient.

View PostHendricks266, on 18 July 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

OGRE (Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine) is a scene-oriented, real-time, 3D rendering engine (as opposed to a game engine).

So you're curing the disease by killing the patient.

Nope, we're replacing patient's face with an appropriate one, instead of hackjob which looks like mix between scarecrow and michael bay's decepticon.

At this point - there is no point in keeping old renderer at all - it is slow, not precise (texture warping along edges because of the low precision), doesn't support even simplest Lambert lighting model (which has been around since unreal tournament), and just cannot be restored from ASM mess in hellbender's code. Best solution right now is to scuttle the obsolete software renderer, and switch to OGRE.

On top of that - Striker found a way to forward-combine hellbender pieces of sourcecode up to the point where resulting executable will be able to support all 3 games at once with possiblity to, say - play terminal velocity campaign via hellbender gameplay. (proper energy system, ability to hang in place, better arsenal (although that will require to partially re-map bonuses on maps to encompass all hellbender's ones)

• Auramancer

Smoke, don't speak for me, not everything is set in stone yet.

My current plan is to keep the the software render from Fury3 (for now, and for reference) until I can get everything rendering fully and correctly in OGRE (which actually is quite suitable for games, and has a good backend for setting up UIs, which I'm gonna need to do if I'm going to strip out MFC and make it cross-platform.) It'll still be running off of the original game engine. The reason for using OGRE is because I have zero experience in OpenGL coding, and I'm not about to waltz into that nightmare until I gain more experience in general. (I'm just learning C, myself. I've managed to pull off a lot, but I'm still learning.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 18 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Polymer is pretty neat, but I still play on Classic sometimes.

• Auramancer

One thing I plan for this is to allow players to disable filtering and lighting effects to make it look as close to the software renderer as possible. If I can help it, I'll still keep the soft renderer, but that may become impossible when I start backporting Hellbender (Which is my favorite game in the series).

Oh, and just as a treat, if I can get Hellbender backported, I'll be able to backport Monster Truck Madness 1. The full game's source is in Hellbender's source, which can be enabled via a toggleable define.

I know dumping the software renderer may be akin to dumping the baby out with the bathwater, but... in this case that baby is the one from Eraserhead. It's probably for the best.

If only I had someone like Plagman...

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 18 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

Sorry that I will say some probably bad words for programmers ears, but that will be from my (as ordinary gamer) perspective: why not keep in distributed package separate simple "Terminal Fury" in its current existing state that we have and play right now (I know I do)? That would be for purists, no bells and whistles. Is it because it is Windows only? Or, just because it is not pretty to have separate executables etc.? My (simple man's) thoughts are, there can be separate "old school" version, with minimal enhancements (screen resolution), and then nothing holds back to do whatever modern and cool are needed in new versions, remakes.

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 18 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostJuris3D, on 18 July 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

Sorry that I will say some probably bad words for programmers ears, but that will be from my (as ordinary gamer) perspective: why not keep in distributed package separate simple "Terminal Fury" in its current existing state that we have and play right now (I know I do)? That would be for purists, no bells and whistles. Is it because it is Windows only? Or, just because it is not pretty to have separate executables etc.? My (simple man's) thoughts are, there can be separate "old school" version, with minimal enhancements (screen resolution), and then nothing holds back to do whatever modern and cool are needed in new versions, remakes.

Here's the deal - if you want 100% pure experience - you can always play the original. That's the way it goes.
We are trying to create a package which would work properly in better conditions, and yes, look just like the original. Think about it like GL_Quake version of Quake 1 - same thing but hardware accelerated.

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 19 July 2015 - 01:57 AM, said:

Here's the deal - if you want 100% pure experience - you can always play the original.

That is what I meant, no need to keep "legacy"-like mode in new advanced versions, -IF- it holds back development of those new ones. For old school experience we can play not only original in DOSbox, but also existing TV/Fury3 mashup that StrikerMan made some long time ago. That one with executable "TF640x480.EXE". I play it under Win7 x64, just need to set compatibility mode to Win98 for getting USB joystick working.
What I also was trying to say, maybe this old-school TV/F3 hybrid should be available for download together with new advanced versions, so no need to search for it separately, somebody might not even know of such version existence.

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 19 July 2015 - 03:52 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I doubt this has any relevancy, but the visuals are strikingly similar (in my eyes anyway): http://www.virtuadv....tar_quest_1.php

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options