Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

I just saw you're the one who got tired of waiting for anything to come from the xl engine. In so little time you showed to be a lot faster than Lucius. :)

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Well, I don't have to do any reverse engineering, which helps speed things up. However, there's no good reason why Lucius hasn't even showed up for over a year, not even for a second, unless he's dead or just doesn't give a fuck anymore. Many projects have now done what it has done, and even bypassed it.

Anyhow, I'm finding some old netgame code that wasn't running in the windows version. I may try to get it going in the coming months.

EDIT:

I've got some of the UI elements to scale:

Posted Image

Do note that most of these changes will carry over perfectly into the main game. The editor and game share a lot of code. I may consider unifying them.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 29 June 2015 - 07:48 PM

• Auramancer

Made an icon for the editor.

Posted Image

• Auramancer

Turns out the level editor can be made to run the game as well, so I merged the two and it's now one program!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 30 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

I'm highly curious if injecting higher resolution art assets would be possible. (or even just being able to look at the old ones more closely) I loved Fury3 as a kid and I would love to make a model of the player ship from that.

• Auramancer

There's a tool out there, known as BINEdit that can convert Fury3's models into VRML format.

As for high-res assets, I don't think so for the models, but terrain textures can be up to 256x256 in resolution.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 30 June 2015 - 02:17 PM

what about the other way around? that's the really important thing

• Auramancer

BINEdit can save as Fury3's native format. Dunno if you can get high-poly models in there however.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 26 June 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

There's also plans to make a new game, using the code as reference, but not used directly, in Unity3D.

StrikerMan780 said:

Unity3D

Ehhh, I personally avoid Unity3D because I'm not a fan of closed-source software. I'd say Unreal Engine 4 would probably be a better engine to go for, but that's just my opinion, feel free to completely ignore me.
(Also this is awesome, just read through the thread, and as someone who played TV quite a lot during their childhood, I'm ecstatic!)

Impressive work! Looking forward to it.

Also I would be VERY interested in getting involved in that new game project. I'm all about scifi stuff and would love to make stuff for something I hold dear like this! Who would I need to contact?

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 01 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

• Auramancer

Once we get the project off the ground, I'll talk to you, and direct you to the right places.

What would you be taking part in? Code? Models? Sound? Art?

• Auramancer

One advantage TV had over Fury3 is that it could render transparency effects. Well, no more:

Posted Image

User is offline   ZedSlayer 

This is really great to see, and this progress right off the bat has me in high hopes of this project already. Be nice to see a revival of these games and future community projects with them.

• Auramancer

I promised myself I'd learn C if I got this code, so here I am. :)

I just want to say to everyone, thanks for the kind words! It motivates me to work on this project.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 01 July 2015 - 07:01 PM, said:

Once we get the project off the ground, I'll talk to you, and direct you to the right places.

What would you be taking part in? Code? Models? Sound? Art?

I do illustration, concept design, 3D models (hi def and low poly) texture work, some environment design (all aspects) with a pretty heavy emphasis on mechanical, vehicular and character design. if needed I can put together a portfolio of everything pretty quick.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 02 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Is any of this work going to make it back into the Android port? I have that on my FireTV.

• Auramancer

Very unlikely that this stuff will make it to the android port. However, levels made with the editor can be played on the Android port.

• Auramancer

Question, for Terminal Velocity support, should I keep the game as episodes, or should I make it one long campaign like how Fury3 did it?

Also, high-resolution HUD! Special thanks to Smoke_Fumus:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 02 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 02 July 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

Question, for Terminal Velocity support, should I keep the game as episodes, or should I make it one long campaign like how Fury3 did it?

Also, high-resolution HUD! Special thanks to Smoke_Fumus:

Posted Image

I think you should keep their flow just like the originals, or at least make the choice possible.

• Auramancer

That IS the original HUD upscaled and polished. That is Fury3's HUD. This uses Fury3 as a base, but is compatible with TV's levels.

Later on I'll *try* to give an option for the TV-style HUD, but no promises.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 02 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

• Auramancer

Managed to port over Hellbender's particle system!

Posted Image

User is offline   Juris3D 

Hooray, I can make posts here now! :D
About question should it be missions or episodes, etc - my thought is, that with all enhancements and changes we are now excited about, I think there has to be also "Legacy Mode" - all close to original as possible, for our nostalgic feelings :)

• Auramancer

I won't be implementing a legacy mode since the code is a mess and adding conditions to them would make things even messier. I'll give toggles for specific things however.

User is offline   Juris3D 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 04 July 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

I won't be implementing a legacy mode since the code is a mess and adding conditions to them would make things even messier. I'll give toggles for specific things however.

Well, what I had in mind is more like "looks like legacy", not actually old code.
By the way, I remember "TV" worlds can be circled pretty fast, planets were really really small. So, question (not very serious): if extend draw distance a lot - can I see my own ships back? :) hehe

• Auramancer

Nah, it'd just crash in that case due to overflow, but the world isn't that small either, so you wouldn't see yourself to begin with, or at least be only a pixel tall.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 04 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postfilipetolhuizen, on 02 July 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

I think you should keep their flow just like the originals, or at least make the choice possible.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 02 July 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

That IS the original HUD upscaled and polished. That is Fury3's HUD. This uses Fury3 as a base, but is compatible with TV's levels.

I think filipetolhuizen was referring to your question about keeping selectable episodes. I also agree that there doesn't seem to be a need to change that.

• Auramancer

Actually, there is two good reasons, it prevents the episode list from becoming polluted if you load all the games. The second is that it makes it easier for me to check what mission you're playing, so the ship you use and HUD can be adjusted to match the according game. (TV202 for TV levels, Deathbringer for Fury3.)

• Auramancer

Found the game's original font:

Posted Image

• Auramancer

Preview of what our team has put together for the Unity port:

POD file loading screen.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 05 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options