Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

Played the shareware version back in 1996. It's a space flight simulator that's kinda like Descent but it's not. Developed by Terminal Reality and Published by 3D Realms. Now I got the full game off of ebay. Kick ass game! Haven't played it's spiritual sequels Fury3 and Hellbender though.

BTW. Is there a high quality mp3 soundtrack to this game on the web? I looked for it some time ago but couldn't find it.

User is offline   thatguy 

Speak of the devil. I was just checking this game out yesterday to see if it was on GOG.com. Man this game was unique. To the point that I still havne't seen a game like it. Wide open space, flying around shooting down enemies, completeing objectives, awesome environments, boss fights. It took up so much of my time when I was young. It was funny how much of a difference there was between the shareware and the full game.

Haven't played Fury3 because it didn't look all that much of a change, but I did play the Hellbender demo on the Microsoft Games Sampler 2. The demo was pretty awesome. Sure it wasn't as colorful and imaginative as TV, but it was pretty fun. :D Although Hellbender just became Microsoft's version of Decent.

I want a remake of TV!

In terms of music, I just found this site which are game quality....though the track titles surprised me. lol http://www.vgmpf.com..._Velocity_(DOS)

EDIT: Look through Terminal Reality's game roster. OMG, Monster Truck Madness. I didn't play the game, I just started it and used the truck to explore the environment. I know, weird, but it opened my eyes to 3d environments. :D

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 11 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   Sangman 

I loved playing the shareware but I never got around to getting the full version.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Hmm...I had thought I had played Terminal Velocity, but I was thinking of Raptor every time I thought of it. I'll have to go back and check out the shareware now. :D

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I remember all the sound files I would listen to and laugh at for about 10 minutes ("This is no longer funny!" quote made me laugh even though it probably isn't even funny). The game never appealed to me though I do think it had great ideas.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Terminal Velocity is pretty cool. Not to be nit-picking, but technically it's more of a "3D arcade flying shooter" rather than a "flight simulator" though.

I checked the shareware version out rather recently, and only because it was published by 3D Realms, as I'm generally not into this kind of games. TV really looks and plays great. Nice music, intense action, swift learning curve. It does get a bit repetitive though, but not too much. Also, it turned out that the guys who made the game also made Hellbender, a demo of which I played back when I had a PC with Win95:)

View PostMrFlibble, on 12 October 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

Terminal Velocity is pretty cool. Not to be nit-picking, but technically it's more of a "3D arcade flying shooter" rather than a "flight simulator" though.

I checked the shareware version out rather recently, and only because it was published by 3D Realms, as I'm generally not into this kind of games. TV really looks and plays great. Nice music, intense action, swift learning curve. It does get a bit repetitive though, but not too much. Also, it turned out that the guys who made the game also made Hellbender, a demo of which I played back when I had a PC with Win95:)

Although this has been mentioned before. lol Agreed.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I remember playing it when I was a kid, I played very little but I enjoyed it, and I used to think of it as the "surface" version of descent

I'd say this is one of the games that has all the aspects well balanced. I'm pretty certain I kept playing when I started it for the first time in great part due to the action-pumping music that creates this cool atmosphere so much. I wish they wrote more music of this kind though, instead of using the same tune during all missions on a planet.

Terminal Velocity plays well with the mouse (something they added in v1.1 IIRC), while Fury3 and Hellbender apparently lack that feature (I only know both games by their demo versions so this may be not entirely correct). Which is quite regrettable since keyboard controls aren't as smooth.

BTW, if you pick the old releases of the shareware version, they include a total of 10 pre-release screenshots from Duke Nukem 3D - I'm certain you guys know it but anyway, here are some links (the shots were removed later on and are absent from the shareware version on 3DR website):

Terminal Velocity Shareware v1.0: 3DTV.ZIP
Terminal Velocity Shareware v1.1: 3DTV11.ZIP
Terminal Velocity Shareware v1.2: 3DTV12.ZIP
Terminal Velocity v1.0 to v1.1 Shareware Patch: TV11SPT.ZIP
Terminal Velocity v1.1 to v1.2 Shareware Patch: TV12SWPT.ZIP

Can someone compile those pre-release shots together? That'd be awesome. Also, it seems Hellbender runs on Win 7 with little configuration. :D

Fury3 is in many ways alot better, but at the same time I just wish that some of the bosses weren't so silly in aspect.

Terminal Velocity is cool, played it a lot. When I first got it, I had a slow computer, so it wasn't until a while later that I could actually play it at a smooth speed. I enjoyed the gameplay, music, and open areas.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 14 October 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

Can someone compile those pre-release shots together? That'd be awesome.

The guys at RTCM already did that:
http://dukertcm.com/...ukeshowFULL.zip

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 15 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

In terms of music, I just found this site which are game quality....though the track titles surprised me. lol http://www.vgmpf.com..._Velocity_(DOS)

The music files are in .OGG format not in MP3 format. Don't know if the OGG files work well in iTunes. It's highly unlikely I think. If someone can rip it in crisp clear 192kps (44100 freq and Mono sound or 22100/Stereo in TV's setting menu). I'd appreciate it.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 15 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Hellbender is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Also, the CD Sountrack from it is probably one of my favorite soundtracks as well aside from the music from the Turrican games.

I've been digging up as much information about Terminal Velocity, Fury3, and Hellbender so that there's a chance so they can be brought to modern systems with some enhancements. http://xlengine.com/...hp?p=5119#p5119

View PostStrikerMan780, on 12 March 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Hellbender is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Also, the CD Sountrack from it is probably one of my favorite soundtracks as well aside from the music from the Turrican games.

I've been digging up as much information about Terminal Velocity, Fury3, and Hellbender so that there's a chance so they can be brought to modern systems with some enhancements. http://xlengine.com/...hp?p=5119#p5119

Funny since Hellbender was suppose to be the worst game in the series. :angry:

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I've only played the Hellbender demo and I always thought it played like an unpolished TV.

Good game. It just doesn't have the near orgasmic pleasure that TV had.

• Auramancer

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 12 March 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

Funny since Hellbender was suppose to be the worst game in the series. :angry:

It's not though. I find it just as good as the others, if not better in some ways. Sure, It's a bit darker and grungier looking, but as far as the gameplay, I like it more, as it's more diverse than it's predecessors. The multiplayer was fun too when it worked right. Also, the CD Soundtrack kicked ass.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 13 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't know about the full version, but in the Hellbender demo, I can't get 3D acceleration working without crashing either immediately or after a minute. I've tried it on everything from the S3 ViRGE to multiple Voodoos to TNT2's and Rage Pros. It fucking dies every time, which sucks, because they games framerate in high res mode is shit.

• Auramancer

The full version works fine on my Voodoo2 cards. It also works fine with an intel integrated chip if you're running on XP.

That's great. My classic Pentium box has a Voodoo2 in it.

Terminal Velocity is now on GOG.com for $5.99. Which I picked up immediately after it appeared a while ago last year.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 05 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

• Auramancer

Just to inform everyone, an engine remake of Terminal Velocity and Fury3's engine is being worked on currently. It is called "Terminal-Recall" and is written in Java. I've been helping the creator test various things, and so far the game is in a near-playable state. However, there is no music or sound yet, and there are still several bugs that need fixing.

Here's a link, and there's build instructions if you scroll down. https://github.com/j...terminal-recall

Also, If this port doesn't come out in the near future, I'm working on a patch of Fury3's engine to support full (not vertically doubled) 640x480 resolution. It's partially working, however, I'm still working out the bugs, and it could be several weeks to get it released as I recently lost a lot of progress due to an accident. (Thankfully, most of my work reverse-engineering the many functions is still there, and the functions/variables named accordingly in IDA.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 28 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

Very cool. Keep us posted.

• Auramancer

This is my current status, I'll get to work on it again eventually however: http://xlengine.com/...93&p=8494#p8494

• Auramancer

I've since got back to my previous spot in progress, and so far I've got the briefing screens functional in 640x480 resolution. I have some screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice. Any progress on the sound system?

• Auramancer

I've got the game outputting 44100khz sound, as opposed to the stock 11025khz (Boosted up from a previous patch I made to the sound which was 22050khz). The game will take 44100khz 8-bit PCM sounds now, which is also nice. (Can't take 16-bit sounds, unfortunately, so some minor white noise will be audible.)

As for the replacement of the music subsystem with the BASS Audio Library, that's yet to happen. I've never delved significantly into C++ until recently, so I have little idea as to what I'm doing. It's a miracle that I'm actually learning Assembly even moreso...

That's great. More people need to experience this game, and it would open it up for a whole new generation of players. Don't forget to add in regen shields.

• Auramancer

No Regenerating Shields, Energy Capsules only. All hail the Energy Capsule! Also known as spacecraft suppositories. Ask your doctor.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 06 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options