Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I like it. Resembles a Lambda Shuttle.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 August 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

I like it. Resembles a Lambda Shuttle.

Well, yeah. TV lifted effects, sounds and sets from star wars directly (alikes obviously), so it makes sense that TV-206 gonna be resembling lambda shuttle :P

This post has been edited by Smoke Fumus: 09 August 2016 - 04:59 PM

Small edit
Posted Image
(i haven't been able to make the cockpit feel game-worthy with previous flat visor setup)

This post has been edited by Smoke Fumus: 17 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 09 August 2016 - 05:17 AM, said:

Nevermind that, striker sometimes is a huge attention #####. Besides, i have sources with me. If process grinds to a halt - i might be able to convince Mark Randel to give community GPL-licensed source access.

Hey, fuck you, you piece of shit. Life has been fucked up for me beyond repair, and I'm struggling to stay alive and sane, and you think I want to kill myself for attention? Fuck you. Why the name change? Because it's goddamn true, and it shouldn't be any goddamn surprise if I disappear for good. The only reason I'm alive is because shit keeps swinging back and forth between mediocre & fucking abysmal, and that I've been putting up a hell of a fight against this disease.

The entire time I've known you, you've been a goddamn thorn in my ass. You've been nasty, unpleasant, and passive-aggressive as fuck ever since we met. Every time you say something, it wreaks with this air of pretentiousness that gets under my skin. You act like you're better than everyone else, like your shit doesn't stink... fucking can't stand that in a person, and isn't someone I want to work with, let alone talk to anymore.

This post has been edited by I want to die: 25 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

View PostI want to die, on 25 August 2016 - 07:21 AM, said:

Hey, fuck you, you piece of shit. Life has been fucked up for me beyond repair, and I'm struggling to stay alive and sane, and you think I want to kill myself for attention? Fuck you. Why the name change? Because it's goddamn true, and it shouldn't be any goddamn surprise if I disappear for good.

The entire time I've known you, you've been a goddamn thorn in my ass. You've been nasty, unpleasant, and passive-aggressive as fuck ever since we met. You act like you're better than everyone else, like your shit doesn't stink... fucking can't stand that in a person, and isn't someone I want to work with, let alone talk to anymore.

When someone looks at a profile with such a name, what are they gonna think? You think they gonna think "oh he is struggling, good luck to him"? No. Of course not - at best - gonna shrug, at worst - gonna think "wow, another 14 year old loony from them emo kiddies".
It doesn't matter whenever you're struggling or not. What matters is - you'll be ashamed of this load of bollocks when you'll get better. This tat - it doesn't go anywhere - it stays on the internet. But you, of course, know that. So what's any other reason to change it like that, other than show that you haven't grown past 14 years old and still begging for attention? I see no other point.
And no, i haven't been. If anything - i pointed directly and bluntly on bollocks you threw around, whenever most of the people tried to stay polite. I admit that i did some things wrong, but my point stands - stop being attention ##### and pull yourself together.

This post has been edited by Smoke Fumus: 25 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

• Auramancer

"Pull yourself together"

OH GEEZ, THAT'S ALL I NEEDED, THANKS! Just by saying those magical words, it's suddenly aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllll better! The memories of trauma, abuse, and manipulation all suddenly disappeared! The physical damage to my body and brain as a result of mental breakdown and physical illness suddenly disappeared! BAM, I no longer feel like my own body is decaying from the inside out to the point where I can't even think! Oh, wow, my Lyme disease has gone into remission as well! Holy shit, magically I'm going to have a job and I won't be living in this shithole town! The world will be a peace, and everything's going to be glitter farts and magical fucking rainbows from here on out!

It. Doesn't. Work. That. Way.

Though, I wouldn't expect some backwoods, narrow-minded Russian piece of shit to understand that.

"other than show that you haven't grown past 14 years old and still begging for attention?"

All this shows me, is you have the thinking of a crusty old shit who was born in the 1930s. Do you just expect me to just disappear out of nowhere, leaving everyone to wonder what the fuck is happening... do you just expect me to lie down, suffer in silence and never say a word? Everyone who's suicidal or dealing with chronic depression is expected to just shut the fuck up about their condition and suffer in silence until they die... It's not right. My best friend killed himself and there was no warning whatsoever... Nobody, neither his family or myself fully know why. There wasn't even a note. Unless you've experienced that first hand, fuck off, and stop acting like you know what's best for me or anyone else in my situation.

I wish he was as vocal about it as I am now... because I would have been right there for him every goddamn time when he needed it.

gonna think "wow, another 14 year old loony from them emo kiddies".

Don't care. Those people can fuck themselves. I only care about the good people who don't think that way.

There already have been some good people that have reached out, and weren't like that. Guess what? It helped on those days where there was nothing left holding me back. (The day I changed my name was one of those days, I had Trazodone, Alcohol, and Lorazepam in hand. A fatal concoction.) It's the good people that reach out like that who allow me to keep going... sometimes it's good to know there's people out there who still give a shit about others, even if they are total strangers. Is it a crime to want to hear from someone with a fucking inkling of humanity once in a while? Is it bad to want to be reminded that you might have friends in unexpected places when things are looking their worst? Especially when you feel like you don't have any true friends at all...

If someone else did what I'm doing right now, stating their intention to die... I'd reach out to them, not call them some "14-year-old attention-whore"... all that would do is likely make them want to kill themselves even more, maybe even push them over the edge.

Just FYI, true depression isn't just an attitude that can be changed, or a single event that can be "got over"... it's a never ending, up-and-down clusterfuck caused by a multitude of things all working against one another. It's not just being sad. It's both experiencing all emotions and none of them all at the same time, it's dealing with a mind that constantly tortures and contradicts itself. Literally, a broken brain, an injured mind. It's taking a long time to heal from it, and a long time to untie all of the knots/solve the puzzle that is this mess, trying to find out why and where it all started.

you'll be ashamed of this load of bollocks when you'll get better.

If I ever get better, and that's a big IF... ashamed? No. Glad that I'm no longer in complete despair? Yes.

This post has been edited by I want to die: 25 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

View PostI want to die, on 25 August 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

-snip-

First of all. I am Korean. Second of all - I've gone through the same bollocks too you know.

And believe it or not - it works that way. You self-reflect, you find the psychological knots (in your conscious/subconscious train of though and familiarity-level reactions), and untie them one by one, you slowly pull yourself together.
I fixed myself. It took a decent chunk of my post-high-school life (5 years), but was worth it.
You on the other hand continue being same sad pile of glass shards.

That's why i have no empathy left - because you just gonna go back to being the same. And if you don't want to change - why even bother being empathetic?

• Auramancer

I know you're Korean, but I recall you live in Russia (I generally go by where someone lives, not their ethnicity... ie. people who live in Canada being called Canadian, regardless of ethnicity). Guess my way of saying they rubbed off on you, knowing how they are about subjects like this...

Anyhow. Not everyone is the same, you forget this.

Just because it took you 5 years, doesn't mean it'll be the same for everyone else. It's pretty clear whatever it was you were dealing with, it wasn't insurmountably complex, because here you are.

Never said I didn't want to change. It's just taking a lot longer, there's some seriously fucked up shit involved, and it doesn't help that I have some complete dicks around me who seem to love dragging me back down. Shit-talking me because I'm still this way is only going to do exactly that, so stop.

This post has been edited by I want to die: 25 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

View PostI want to die, on 25 August 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

I know you're Korean, but I recall you live in Russia (I generally go by where someone lives, not their ethnicity... ie. people who live in Canada being called Canadian, regardless of ethnicity). Guess my way of saying they rubbed off on you, knowing how they are about subjects like this...

Anyhow. Not everyone is the same, you forget this.

Just because it took you 5 years, doesn't mean it'll be the same for everyone else. It's pretty clear whatever it was you were dealing with, it wasn't insurmountably complex, because here you are.

Never said I didn't want to change. It's just taking a lot longer, there's some seriously fucked up shit involved, and it doesn't help that I have some complete dicks around me who seem to love dragging me back down. Shit-talking me because I'm still this way is only going to do exactly that, so stop.

You probably right. Sorry for that then. Should've though twice.

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 09 August 2016 - 05:17 AM, said:

I have sources with me. If process grinds to a halt - I might be able to convince Mark Randel to give community GPL-licensed source access.

Do it Smoke. Ask Mark to have the source codes released under GPL. Hope he doesn't piss the lawyers off doing so. Waiting and hoping for Mark to create a github page to put up the sources of the Terminal Reality games.

As for StrikerMan. I wonder what caused him to go rock bottom and what and who is to blame? :P

• Auramancer

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 25 August 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

You probably right. Sorry for that then. Should've though twice.

At least we're on the same page now. Anyhow, I'll change my name to something else. Some things have improved finally, went for a trip to Halifax to meet some like-minded people at a convention last week, got to make connections with some nice people, may even have a potential date. I'm kind of in a post-con rut at the moment, since I miss everyone, and miss feeling like I wasn't in a toxic community. (In my hometown, the community is extremely toxic/hostile, and hard to avoid since the population is so small.) I felt like everyone had my back, which is refreshing in a time where I usually feel like so many are against me. Now it's back to the same old shit, which is discouraging.

I'm trying. That's all I can say.

As for StrikerMan. I wonder what caused him to go rock bottom and what and who is to blame? :P

It's a long story. Lot of things and people to blame, including myself. Lot of things fucked me up over the years, became a nervous, anxious wreck, always worried, afraid, wracked with guilt... Childhood friend's suicide (and the associated survivor's guilt), backstabbing, family and friends fighting, being psychologically (gaslighting) & sexually abused... just to name a few. (Not necessarily in chronological order, and not including the shit that happened when I was a kid) All of it happened very quickly in a red-hazed blurry clusterfuck... Built up quickly, in the middle of it all, it lead to a catastrophic psychotic breakdown/burnout, which ended up in me killing my pets and attempting suicide, and getting sent to a psych ward for the safety of myself and those around me. I still haven't fully recovered, a lot of stuff happened since as well. My mind likes to bring back some of the worst memories at inappropriate times, even when I don't actively think about them. Stack that on top of per-existing mental problems, and physical injury/illness.

All the problems... It all feels like someone is drilling a hole in the side of my head, and it gets to me sometimes since I can't seem to catch a breath, you know?

I have sources with me. If process grinds to a halt - I might be able to convince Mark Randel to give community GPL-licensed source access

All I can say is, good luck. I've already tried. I can tell Mark wants to open-source it, it's just... If he can't convince his lawyers, we're kind of boned in that regard.

This post has been edited by Striker: 26 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

• Auramancer

Decided to plug away at the source again, nothing major since my health is still not too great... But, I've optimized some of the code, managed to port the lightning "flash" effect on the sky/clouds to GLSL, which is much cleaner than Hellbender's native lightning code, which used to make a copy of the the sky texture, manipulate it pixel for pixel to brighten it, then copy to a new texture, uploading that new texture to the GPU... very slow and inefficient, and was incapable of using true-color sky textures.

Now, all it does is change a uniform variable in GLSL, and if it's on while drawing the sky, it will brighten all fragment colors 3x. Much better.

This post has been edited by Striker: 27 October 2016 - 11:20 PM

User is offline   Juris3D 

Hello, Striker! Oh, am i glad to see You here gain! I wish You well in everything, and successful coding!

If anyone still on sci-fi aerial combat wave - new game Early Access on Steam!
NIGHTSTAR: Rogue Wings
http://www.indiedb.c...tar-rogue-wings
http://store.steampo...com/app/595360/

Also, this one (been available for some time now):
Celestial Breach
http://www.indiedb.c...elestial-breach
http://store.steampo...com/app/547970/

And, absolutely be sure to keep your eye on this one, by developers of "Alpha Squadron 2" (excellent "Rogue Squadron" clone on Android):
FIREWING: Fall Of Icarus
http://www.indiedb.c...fall-of-icarus/
https://twitter.com/MMonkeyGames
https://twitter.com/...ag/FireWingGame
This one will be for serious hardware, PC, VR, consoles

Who could we contact about getting the source code for TV gpl'ed to the community? I feel bad for all of Strikers health issues, but in order for a TV modding community to "sprout up", the code has to be open. Graphical enhancements aside, it would be nice to have more gameplay elements added to the game.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 30 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Re-read the thread, there is no hope for such a thing in the absence of buying out the rightsholders.

View PostHendricks266, on 30 March 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Re-read the thread, there is no hope for such a thing in the absence of buying out the rightsholders.

Maybe we should just bomb original developer(s) to get their asses to work on a new "Terminal Velocity" reboot! :blink: Some years ago I read somewhere, that, idea about new "TV" time to time is felt in the air... But that was really years ago :blink: (but in this Millenium)

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostJuris3D, on 30 March 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Maybe we should just bomb original developer(s) to get their asses to work on a new "Terminal Velocity" reboot! :blink:

Well, technically it doesn't have to be the original developers to create a spiritual successor to a game.

On the topic of source code, I wonder if there is any hope of making the IP owners aware of the fact that by withholding the source they're doing more damage than good to their property. There seems to be a misconception among some people that open source software automatically means free/non-commercial. Maybe this is indirectly causing so much trouble when it comes to the question of releasing the source? That, or the copyright holders just don't care. Both is very sad.

View PostMrFlibble, on 31 March 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:

On the topic of source code, I wonder if there is any hope of making the IP owners aware of the fact that by withholding the source they're doing more damage than good to their property. There seems to be a misconception among some people that open source software automatically means free/non-commercial. Maybe this is indirectly causing so much trouble when it comes to the question of releasing the source? That, or the copyright holders just don't care. Both is very sad.

I doubt its that simple, and the benefit of unfucking the ip situation probably isn't worth it. It sucks though because I would have loved to play some TV mods.

• Auramancer

When my life is in order, health isn't completely trash, and I have the mental capacity to continue my work, I do plan on making this moddable to some capacity through external files that can be loaded via POD files. Also, when it comes to making levels and models- the editor's source is integrated directly with the game, but until the game and UI is ready to go, it's mostly non-functional. (It was fully functional when this was TV/Fury3-only, but Hellbender changes so much in the engine it's going to be difficult to get it all going again.)

I asked about GPL'ing it in the past, but apparently TRI's lawyers think it's engine is still viable to be licensed out in the same way as TRI's AAA-level Infernal Engine so they refuse to allow it to be open sourced. I think they're totally fucking insane and completely out of touch with reality, only thinking with dollar signs and no brains... but that's just me.

Oh, well... Should something happen to me, the unaltered source is in a safe place. It'll never go missing.

In the meantime, if you want a TV/Fury3 port, try TerminalRecall by cjritola - https://github.com/j...terminal-recall

It's not reverse-engineered, nor from the source, it's a from-scratch recreation, so it's not entirely accurate, but it's still pretty good. You'll need Apache Maven to compile it, but it's an interesting project, and is somewhat playable already.

This post has been edited by Striker: 01 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

Glad to hear from you, Striker. Well, I always thought it would be better to work on separate TV/Fury3, without Hellbender, for faster releasable result. But, I know, that You love Hellbender most, that is your motivation. And so we have to wait sooooo much longer ;-)

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 01 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostStriker, on 01 April 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

In the meantime, if you want a TV/Fury3 port, try TerminalRecall by cjritola - https://github.com/j...terminal-recall
It's not reverse-engineered, nor from the source, it's a from-scratch recreation, so it's not entirely accurate, but it's still pretty good. You'll need Apache Maven to compile it, but it's an interesting project, and is somewhat playable already.

Yeahh... I check there time to time, but... Anyone maybe could provide me please compiled binary? Please. :blink:

I guess, anyone looking in this topic is interested in aerial sci-fi combat games, so, I decided post my "compilation" here too, what games are upcoming right now, games, I am following progress.
Those are pictures (screenshots) with game names embedded.
Here: http://bildites.lv/a/2j255ryq#8kuucq45
If anyone knows some project that is going on, and not listed in my compilation - please please let me know about it here. Thanks!

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostJuris3D, on 01 April 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

I always thought it would be better to work on separate TV/Fury3, without Hellbender, for faster releasable result.

I agree, and the reduced time/effort cost of releasing such a port is not the only consideration IMO. I think it would be nice in general to have a version of TV/Fury3 running natively on modern systems just for its own sake. Yeah, TV runs perfectly in DOSBox but it's always nice to have native versions for today's platforms.

Not only that, but a public release would yield valuable user feedback to build future versions upon.

• Auramancer

There are other technical reasons why I'm doing things the way they are now. TV and Fury3 were not created with 3D Acceleration in mind, and I don't have the code to the S3 Virge patch either, just shreds of it left over in... guess which game- Hellbender. Hellbender's drawing code is more suited to 3D Accelerated rendering overall. When I initially wrote the OpenGL renderer for Fury3, there were major depth sorting problems when it came to tunnels, and models due to how they were handled and drawn in those games (some things that work in software don't translate well to true depth-buffered 3D). Having a combined engine is for the best. The intention is for TerminalFury to be to the Photex Engine games like ZDoom is to Doom engine... various games with various levels of tech on the same engine, running in one unified system.

Also, only doing TV/Fury3 won't save me much time, as the parts that are taking up most of my time are not game-specific. The big things right now are trying to write a new UI, untie the game from all dependencies on Microsoft libraries (MFC & GDI primarily... also, gotta move all keyboard/joystick/mouse handling to SDL), externalize the fonts (because having the fonts be hardcoded raw pixel data in arrays in a C header is ass) and write a parser for custom font definition files, clean up the gigantic mess that is the timed/queued message system, and so on. By the way, TerminalFury isn't my only project... I've had commitments long before this came along, and I haven't had the time to touch TerminalFury in a while. Some of my other projects have been learning experiences that will reflect better on the quality of TerminalFury in the future as well, keep in mind.

Can you guys just be patient, please? No offense to anyone but I'm beginning to get rather annoyed (not to mention extremely stressed out), I've been pestered about releases both on and off this site nearly incessantly. I have a broken and fucked up life to repair and survive through, I need to focus on finishing college, I can't legally release the code, and I can't release the port in the state it's in, and it may yet be another year as far as I know. That is all, that is final, if I have something to present, I'll tell everyone. I'm beginning to regret ever saying I had the code, if I hadn't I could've worked in solitude without the drama and impatience and release whenever it was ready. If anyone gets too impatient and think they can make a solid port themselves before me, feel free to email Mark Randel (his email isn't hard to find) and ask if you can sign the NDA for it like I did and maybe I can contribute to that instead... if not, well, just wait, or better yet, distract yourself with something else so I can just work at this at my own pace.

This post has been edited by Striker: 25 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

No problem, Striker, take care. As I posted two posts earlier - right now there is some activity in this particular game genre, we can be busy a bit with other games :blink:

• Auramancer

Just so you guys know, I'm not trying to be a dick, I do want to release something eventually... but keep in mind, when I took this on, I had done it simply because I wanted to learn more about C programming & game dev, and wanted a game from my childhood that I was passionate about to work with in said process of learning... it ever coming to full fruition wasn't, and still isn't guaranteed, it was like a "Hey, this is for me, this is my hobby... what better way than to use this to learn, and if I can actually get going somewhere with this, others can perhaps share in the benefits." thing.

Believe me, when I make progress, you guys will be the first to know. Don't ask me, because if I didn't say anything, it means nothing has changed.

While it isn't TV, in the meantime, give the latest DGVoodoo2 a try with Hellbender. It has D3D support and support for forcing antialiasing and forcing screen resolution. I was able to force Hellbender into 1920x1080, and it looked quite decent... now it doesn't have the extended draw distance, moddability and the software renderer exclusive effects, but it does it's job.

This post has been edited by Striker: 25 April 2017 - 12:10 PM

I've been following this thread since last year and I'm waiting patiently for the source port. I wish you luck on it, Striker, but specially on getting your life sorted out. I'm also interested in the Terminal Velocity HD by Smoke Fumus.

By the way, has anyone tried the Terminal Velocity port by Trebuchet Entertainment? They ported the game to mobile devices even with its software renderer and made a few improvements on it like furthering drawing distance of objects, increasing visibility of distant terrain, increasing field of view, adding depth buffer, etc. I recorder a gameplay of the game's first level if anyone is interested:

https://youtu.be/V_E0mtRGhgc

This post has been edited by Torturephile: 25 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

Torturephile, yes, of course I have that Android port since it became available. I play ocasionaly on my phone. If I am not missing something - it lacks phone tilting controls, and that is really uncomfortable for me, trying to play with touch-joystick. I asked several times in store comments about tilt controls, can we expect them.
But, thanks for video anyway! Maybe some fans didn't know this.

EDIT: and, I am still would be very thankful, if someone could give me compiled port of "Terminal Recall" project. Thanks!

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 25 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

I've gotten used to those controls, though the only thing I asked Trebuchet is to add a sensitivity option since the ship turns a bit slow for me.

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options