• You cannot reply to this topic

Niel Armstrong has died :(  "Great legend first man who walked the moon died"

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Rip Niel Armstrong 1930-2012
http://www.ctvnews.c...-at-82-1.929762

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012 3:34PM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012 4:46PM EDT

Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, has died at the age of 82.
The former astronaut was recovering from a recent heart surgery.
A statement from his family said he died following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures. The statement did not say where he died.
Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon on July 20, 1969.
After setting foot on the surface of the moon, he spoke the famous words, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” a moment that was broadcast around the world to an estimated 600 million people.
He spent nearly three hours walking on the moon with fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, collecting samples, taking photographs and conducting experiments.
While on the moon, during the height of the heated space race with the Soviet Union, Armstrong left a patch to commemorate NASA astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts who had died in action.
Earlier this year, he told an Australian television interviewer, “It was special and memorable but it was only instantaneous because there was work to do."
During the interview Armstrong said, “Now and then I miss the excitement about being in the cockpit of an airplane and doing new things."
Despite the fame that surrounded the astronaut following the moon landing, Armstrong described himself as a “white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer,” during a February 2000 appearance.
He added, “And I take a substantial amount of pride in the accomplishments of my profession.”
Before becoming an astronaut Armstrong was in the U.S. Navy and served in the Korean War, where he flew 78 combat missions.
After the war, Armstrong finished a degree from Purdue University and later earned a master's degree in aerospace engineering from the University of Southern California.
He became a test pilot at the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics and in 1962 he joined the NASA Astronaut Corps.
His first spaceflight was the NASA Gemini 8 mission in 1966.
Armstrong subsequently held the position of deputy associate administrator for aeronautics at NASA’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. In this position, he was responsible for the co-ordination and management of overall NASA research and technology work related to aeronautics.
After holding the position for one year he left to teach aerospace engineering at the University of Cincinnati.
He stayed with the university until 1979 and during that time bought a 310-acre farm near Lebanon, Ohio, where he raised cattle and grew corn.
While he often stayed away from the spotlight, in 2010 Armstrong raised concerns about the U.S. government’s space policy that put an emphasis on private companies developing spaceships.
He testified before Congress, and in an email to The Associated Press said he had "substantial reservations." He also signed a letter, along with more than two dozen Apollo-era veterans, calling the plan a "misguided proposal that forces NASA out of human space operations for the foreseeable future."
Armstrong married Carol Knight in 1999, and the couple lived in Indian Hill, a Cincinnati suburb. He had two adult sons from a previous marriage.
At the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles on Saturday, visitors observed a minute of silence in his memory.
His family's statement made a simple request for anyone else who wanted to remember him: "Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."
Armstrong was born in Wapakoneta, Ohio, on Aug. 5, 1930.
--------------------

A proper song to dedicate to him

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

He has gone where few men have gone before. Now he cruses the universe at light speed. RIP, Niel Armstrong.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostVinsaneOne, on 25 August 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

He has gone where few men have gone before. Now he cruses the universe at light speed. RIP, Niel Armstrong.

Indeed.

I still can't believe he's really gone, though.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

On the radio they've played a lot of song to dedicate him.

Song has to do with space, moon etc.

Some Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon' album.

User is offline   Gambini 

That´s sad to hear. I still remember the first time i listened to his song. ;)

I see skies of blue..... clouds of white... bright blessed days

You will see´em closer now Louis! God bless your soul.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Louis' been dead since '71, dude.

User is offline   Sangman 

Hahaha wtf Gambini ;)

This is sad though. First he loses his Tour De France victories and now he dies... Shitty week.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sangman: 26 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostGambini, on 26 August 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

That´s sad to hear. I still remember the first time i listened to his song. ;) I see skies of blue..... clouds of white... bright blessed daysYou will see´em closer now Louis! God bless your soul.

Oh my gosh... LOL ;) Did you misread the thread title or was this a joke? I can't tell.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

It was obviously a light joke.

A mild, unoffensive bit of humor to ease the mood shouldn't be taken so seriously. Everybody dies.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostForge, on 27 August 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

It was obviously a light joke.

A mild, unoffensive bit of humor to ease the mood shouldn't be taken so seriously. Everybody dies.

Everybody dies, but not everybody that dies walked upon the surface of another world, and looked back onto this one.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options