Duke4.net Forums: ProAsm got shut down. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ProAsm got shut down.  "RIP ProAsm (?)"

I went to the website for Proasm. All I got was some sort of Credit Debt ad. Looks like Proasm is no more. So no more Shadow Warrior source port updates. Did Proasm retire or something?

User is offline   Loke 

He stopped doing updates a while ago, don't know why. It's too bad though since the current version has some nasty issues regarding the save/load feature.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

ProAsm lost interest in programming for the games and went back to his true hobby, ham radio. It's not that his site is shut down, he has explained this to me before. His host only does billing in 3 month cycles, with no option to pay in advance or change it, and if he forgets to pay, the site is taken down without warning.

Don't worry, I mirrored his entire site to my computer since he stopped work. Unless he ninja updated something on his site (unlikely) I have all the latest of his stuff.

EDIT: I sent him an email.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 05 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostHendricks266, on 05 August 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

ProAsm lost interest in programming for the games and went back to his true hobby, ham radio. It's not that his site is shut down, he has explained this to me before. His host only does billing in 3 month cycles, with no option to pay in advance or change it, and if he forgets to pay, the site is taken down without warning.

Don't worry, I mirrored his entire site to my computer since he stopped work. Unless he ninja updated something on his site (unlikely) I have all the latest of his stuff.

Well that sucks. Who's gonna carry on his work and update the SWP (aka Shadow Warrior ProAsm)? That save/load bug I've been hearing about is gotta be fixed!

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 05 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

• Weaponized Autism

I have been planning to pick up the torch on SW development but it's a large investment in time and effort, and I have so many other things I promised to do, I want to do, and I need to do.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostHendricks266, on 05 August 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Well, hopefully either the site will be up soon, or you can mirror everything, because I needed some files from ProAsm related to Unreal Tournament 2004.

• Weaponized Autism

Looks like we're in luck and ProAsm's site is back up.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Pro should just get his site hosted here.

View PostHendricks266, on 26 August 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

Looks like we're in luck and ProAsm's site is back up.

Hey it's back up now! So any word on a new update on that Shadow Warrior port? That save/load game bug gotta go!

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDustFalcon85, on 04 September 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

So any word on a new update on that Shadow Warrior port? That save/load game bug gotta go!

DAMN, WOMAN! I just gave you sweet loving five minutes ago. Are you trying to kill me?

View PostHendricks266, on 04 September 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

DAMN, WOMAN! I just gave you sweet loving five minutes ago. Are you trying to kill me?

Hehehe! I'm not trying to kill you Hendricks. ;) Hate to disappoint you, but I'm a guy and I'm not gay. I'm strictly heterosexual. What makes you think I'm a woman? Is it because of the avatar of the skeletal Scarlett O'Hara from The Uninvited NES I've have? Don't worry I'm trying real hard not to pestering people. Patience is what I have but sometimes I struggle w/ it, to be honest w/ you Hendricks.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 04 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Rather than flip out in frustration over the unexpectedness of your question, I decided to quote Chef from South Park.

If there is any work at all on ESW32 (or whatever better name is come up with), of which there has been none, you will see it the commit log when I restructure the SVN folder tree (with approval of course).

User is offline   Skulldog 

View PostHendricks266, on 04 September 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Rather than flip out in frustration over the unexpectedness of your question, I decided to quote Chef from South Park.

If there is any work at all on ESW32 (or whatever better name is come up with), of which there has been none, you will see it the commit log when I restructure the SVN folder tree (with approval of course).

ESW64 or maybe ESW128 when it's done.
I remember proAsm put alot of work into SWP before, he stoped work on it. He made it work in Windows 7, and
made it work with Yang as well. Same thing with Duke3dw. God speed ProAsm.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 11 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

User is offline   t800 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 04 September 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

Hey it's back up now! So any word on a new update on that Shadow Warrior port? That save/load game bug gotta go!

Sorry to revive old topic, but I found solution to our problems! I think it is caused by some conflict with Win 7. (Becuase I used Win XP before and it run well with it.)
I had similar problems (loading saved game after exiting not working, loading autosave and finishing level making game crash, not working music from CD, not functional user map selection from menu, etc.) to yours with latest version 4.3.2, so I tested various previous versions and I found that the most up to date version without any major bugs is 4.3.0. IMO nothing important got improved between these two versions. I attached it to this post for you.

Attached File(s)

View Postt800, on 09 December 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

Sorry to revive old topic, but I found solution to our problems! I think it is caused by some conflict with Win 7. (Becuase I used Win XP before and it run well with it.)
I had similar problems (loading saved game after exiting not working, loading autosave and finishing level making game crash, not working music from CD, not functional user map selection from menu, etc.) to yours with latest version 4.3.2, so I tested various previous versions and I found that the most up to date version without any major bugs is 4.3.0. IMO nothing important got improved between these two versions. I attached it to this post for you.

EDIT: Thanks for the file t800. I don't mind if you revive my topic. I'll test the SWP 4.3.0. and see where it goes from here.

UPDATE: SWP can't seem to play MP3 and OGG music files. They won't even show up in the music box during setup. How do you get those files working in SWP?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 11 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

User is offline   t800 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 11 December 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

EDIT: Thanks for the file t800. I don't mind if you revive my topic. I'll test the SWP 4.3.0. and see where it goes from here.

UPDATE: SWP can't seem to play MP3 and OGG music files. They won't even show up in the music box during setup. How do you get those files working in SWP?

Sad to admit, you are right. By some unexplainable reasons MP3 and OGG files dont work in SWP. (Official Proasm's changelog mentions them as supported files!)
Only MIDI files work if you add them into Music folder.

Do you want to use MP3/OGG files with music ripped from your Shadow Warrior CD or do you just want to play your own selection of songs manaully to fill silence in registered episode levels?
If you want the first thing, I can help you. You can either use Shadow Warrior CD or my recommended option (to protect CD from unnecessary detoration)
- make image from CD and mount it with some virtual drive program. Insert CD/mount image before you start game and in startup screen make sure that you have ticked off options Music Enable, Play CD and selected proper drive.
P.S. There is little bug connected with playing CD music in SWP - Music volume slider doesnt affect actual volume.

This post has been edited by t800: 12 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

View Postt800, on 12 December 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

Sad to admit, you are right. By some unexplainable reasons MP3 and OGG files dont work in SWP. (Official Proasm's changelog mentions them as supported files!)
Only MIDI files work if you add them into Music folder.

Do you want to use MP3/OGG files with music ripped from your Shadow Warrior CD or do you just want to play your own selection of songs manaully to fill silence in registered episode levels?
If you want the first thing, I can help you. You can either use Shadow Warrior CD or my recommended option (to protect CD from unnecessary detoration)
- make image from CD and mount it with some virtual drive program. Insert CD/mount image before you start game and in startup screen make sure that you have ticked off options Music Enable, Play CD and selected proper drive.
P.S. There is little bug connected with playing CD music in SWP - Music volume slider doesnt affect actual volume.

I'm leaning toward to play my own music to fill the silence of Code of Honor. As for MP3/OGG ripped music. If I wanted to play those. Either the OGG files from the GOG version or the GOG's freebie MP3 soundtrack that came w/ the game. Better yet make the music selection like DXX Rebirth's as close as possible.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 12 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

User is offline   LigH 

Am I late? ...

If anyone ever considers continuing SWP, here are my most serious issues after playing just the first map:

• I miss higher and actual widescreen resolutions for playing in windowed mode.
  • The window twitches now and then, as if the whole game window disappears and reappears for milliseconds.

User is offline   LigH 

Correction:

Savegame failures are most annoying. And even more, that SWP detects the failure, and logs it, but doesn't notify the player visibly right after saving and failing. So I have to save often and many, keep watching the log while playing, to quit and load the previous yet uncorrupted savegame.

Furthermore, the game sometimes locks pressed keys. Might be related to the flickering of the game window?

This post has been edited by LigH: 13 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's more likely that there will be a branch of eduke32 adapted for playing SW than anyone picking up SWP again. Eduke32 has plenty of advantages, hopefully the polymer renderer and great new modern networking code for multiplayer, which will be great additions to SW. However even this is far off if ever happening at all.

User is offline   Lunick 

Or we could wait for Shadow Warrior+ :P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Still not entirely sure what it is. Obviously some kind of port, maybe with some XBLA assets thrown in, but otherwise that "plus" is pretty ambiguous.

He should do atleast one update to SWP,
there 3 issues, its not saving the controls when I change them in the options so that I have to manually edit the swp.cfg, loading quick save games crashes the game when you exit and come back in, it keeps resetting the mousewheel controls.

This post has been edited by theunbeholden: 18 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

• Weaponized Autism

Maybe if I feel like it I'll debug SWP a little bit and make an interim release, but long-term I still plan on making a new port based on JFSW.

User is offline   Skulldog 

View PostHendricks266, on 18 April 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

Maybe if I feel like it I'll debug SWP a little bit and make an interim release, but long-term I still plan on making a new port based on JFSW.

SWP Sound crackles in windows 8, Duke3dw works fine.

User is offline   supergoofy 

@Hendricks266, maybe you can contact ProAsm and ask him if you can take over SWP and create a new port ?

Many thanks for your interest in reviving JFSW / SWP.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 18 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

I know this thread is a little old, but I just got Shadow Warrior (CD) and decided to use ProAsm emulator for it...and now I need a little help.

I got everything up and running the first time -and it works great- my only complaint is the music is WAY too loud. I've looked for solutions but have only been able to find those concerning the Steam and DoxBox versions of SW. There was one guide saying that you can change some parameters around in the "gameroot" file of SW -which should fix it- but I can't seem to find the "gameroot" folder. Is the "gameroot" folder included with the CD version of SW? If so, can somebody tell me how to access it? If not, is there a solution that can lower the music volume if I run SW using ProAsm?

And yes, I've tried using the music volume slider in the options menu. It dose not work.

Any help is very appreciated. Thank you for your time.

-Nuclear :)

This post has been edited by NuclearWastE3: 17 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

User is offline   LigH 

View PostNuclearWastE3, on 17 September 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

... but I can't seem to find the "gameroot" folder.

They probably refer to the "Shadow Warrior Classic Redux" version which installs the base files in a subdirectory, together with a wrapping DosBox copy, as far as I understood. They probably tweaked some DosBox config file. I wish you had linked this suspicious guide so I could read it to be certain.

Note:it's a source port, not an emulator. Do you have to use the version you got on CD? The free shadow warrior classic on steam should be the same thing, but you can try with those game-files to see if it changes anything.

Alternatively, use the Windows volume slider to lower the volume of the app. This would bring game sounds down, too, though.: (
Or de-select music entirely if it's that much of an issue, you still hold the game sounds.

This post has been edited by uraganotkirki: 18 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostLigH, on 17 September 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

They probably refer to the "Shadow Warrior Classic Redux" version which installs the base files in a subdirectory, together with a wrapping DosBox copy, as far as I understood. They probably tweaked some DosBox config file. I wish you had linked this suspicious guide so I could read it to be certain.
Yes, it's the Classic/Redux version of shadow warrior they were talking about on the guide . I figured that, since it's basically the same game as the one on CD (except for the DLCs included in the Redux version), it would include most of the same files. Then again, like you said, it has to do with tweaking a DosBox file.

Here's the link to the guide: http://steamcommunity.com/app/238070/discussions/0/810925580046608738/

View Posturaganotkirki, on 18 September 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

Note:it's a source port, not an emulator.
My bad ;)

Do you have to use the version you got on CD? The free shadow warrior classic on steam should be the same thing, but you can try with those game-files to see if it changes anything.
No, I don't; but I prefer to use the CD version because it only requires about 70MB instead of 1GB from Steam (but I believe that might be because it has DoxBox included with the Steam version). But, if I have to, I guess I will get the steam version :)

Alternatively, use the Windows volume slider to lower the volume of the app. This would bring game sounds down, too, though.: (
Or de-select music entirely if it's that much of an issue, you still hold the game sounds.
Yeah, sadly doing it through Windows does lower the sounds. Even though the music volume gets lowered like that, it drowns out the sound effects a bit.

--------------------------------------
Thank you two for the quick response. ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options