Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Endangered Species alpha: Where is it? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Endangered Species alpha: Where is it?

Some time ago, I was looking for information on the cancelled Duke hunting title Endangered Species when I came across this post from a fellow by the name of Nacho who said he actually managed to get a working alpha version from the original developers:
http://forums.my-col...66.html#msg1066

I did a bit more searching around at the time and found he had also posted some additional screenshots at the Gearbox forums:
http://forums.gearbo...28&postcount=17

Does anyone know if anything became of this? It seems like acquiring the working alpha of a cancelled Duke Nukem game would be huge. I realize that the alpha itself probably wouldn't be released to the public, but the insight alone it could provide into the game would be massive considering we've known virtually next to nothing for years. According to his first post, Nacho expressed interest in doing a writeup or even greatly expanding the game's entry on the Duke Nukem wiki, but it appears neither of these ever happened. The wiki entry still only reports the bare bones information we got from the few press releases and interviews. Nacho himself has been inactive on both the Duke wiki and Gearbox forums for over a year now.

Now while I could just try tracking down Mr. Nacho myself, the reason I'm asking here first is because I'm not all that active in the Duke community and thought perhaps someone here might be in contact with him and could pass along a friendly reminder that there's still plenty of keen interest in the alpha he possesses. I can still quite vividly recall my 11 year old self getting psyched at the prospect of the game and my subsequent 12 year old self being totally bummed upon learning of its cancellation. I'm sure many people here would love to learn more of this lost Duke title as well.

User is offline   trustn0! 

Yeah what did happen to Nacho?

User is offline   Lunick 

I must admit, those screenshots in the Gearbox thread make that game look fun, I like the look of the Shrinker.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Nacho is a long-time Duke veteran, but he has a life. Sometimes he disappears for a while, but he always comes back. Basically, it's VERY unlikely that the alpha will ever be released. However, the game was reworked and released as another game called Vivisector.

Here's all the stuff I've collected from the game. Some of these are pre-release screenshots, the renders were from artist' portfolios, and there are some screenshots from Nacho's alpha.

What was the one that used the Build engine and had some screenshots of weird ror stuff and such? Or was this an earlier version of this same game?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I have no idea what game you're thinking of, but I'm pretty sure DN:ES was never being developed on the BUILD Engine. I'm also not aware of any unreleased BUILD games that had ROR, nor an official Duke sequel based on BUILD.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 03 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Who knows, maybe it was a dream or something, I just remember years back on the 3D Realms forums there were screenshots of an unreleased game, there was a bridge in the dark... Possibly with renderbugs (like HoM effect)... but that is all I remember, though the terrain looked a lot like this but more squared-off like it might in a game engine used in the late-mid-90's. It's not vastly important anyway.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Maybe you're thinking of Duke Nukem: D-Day/Man of Valor.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Nacho is doing fine. I have him as a friend on Steam. He has activity from time to time. The other day we played TF2 together for a brief few minutes and we did the high-five taunt together.

User is offline   Nacho 

View PostHendricks266, on 03 August 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Nacho is doing fine. I have him as a friend on Steam. He has activity from time to time. The other day we played TF2 together for a brief few minutes and we did the high-five taunt together.

Yes, what he said. After the release of DNF I died off and did this whole 'work' thing and I've been focusing a lot on moving up as fast as possible in it and it has been working rather well which most people can attest to by my ridiculous amount of Steam purchases of late.

On the subject of the alpha - I'm not even sure it was at that stage - I have it but I can't release it at this time, you know, legal stuff. I do plan on releasing some more information on the subject though and I am currently gathering some more content... what will become of it is all up to interest I suppose. I will admit I more so enjoy the thrill of the hunt rather than the spoils afterwards so it's all about motivation really. Stay tuned.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It would be of interest if only because it was a Duke 3D FPS game that was actually editable ;)

The screens do look fun. From what I'd seen up till now, it looked like it was only 'Duke goes to Africa and blows up some lions'. It looks like a bit more than that.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It was pretty much like Duke Nukem + Island of Dr. Moreau.
Which is fucking awesome.

User is offline   Malgon 

Nice to know your still kicking around Nacho. I'm sure there are more people around here that are interested in seeing more information about DN:ES as I am.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options