Duke4.net Forums: Interceptor Entertainment is doing a Rise Of The Triad remake. - Duke4.net Forums

• 40 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interceptor Entertainment is doing a Rise Of The Triad remake.

It's not very clear yet but from what I've seen posted on the steam forums and on other forums, this game is said to be filled with bugs.
I didn't bother to grab it yet but I will report on it's status after I grab it.
If the game is actually good, I might even decide to stop calling Fresch a useless hipster.
Last year I predicted in this topic that it will be shit and barely achieve a 6 on metacritic.
If by next month, this game scores more than 6 on metacritic I will give these mother fuckers less shit if and when they decide to make their next game.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 31 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

User is online   Jblade 

The impression I get elsewhere is that the game is a bit janky, it's fun, but the checkpoint system is very poor and needs to go. I'll be picking this up as soon as I get a better computer eitherway.

User is offline   uh . . . . 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 31 July 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

It's not very clear yet but from what I've seen posted on the steam forums and on other forums, this game is said to be filled with bugs.
I didn't bother to grab it yet but I will report on it's status after I grab it.
If the game is actually good, I might even decide to stop calling Fresch a useless hipster.
Last year I predicted in this topic that it will be shit and barely achieve a 6 on metacritic.
If by next month, this game scores more than 6 on metacritic I will give these mother fuckers less shit if and when they decide to make their next game.

ur so cool

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostDaveyDoomsday, on 19 July 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

WOAH WOAH WOAH

What is all this about the checkpoint system? It's not your typical UE3 checkpoint system like Bioshock: Infinite where if you die you lose tons of progress. That would suck. There's enough checkpoints in each level that no matter where you die you'll never lose more than a minute or so of progress. We made sure of that. Also, you can play from any checkpoint at any time with any character and it will start you with the same weapons that you had. So it's practically saving. In fact it's as close as we could get to save states without having actual save states, which is simply not something we could accomplish with our limited resources and budget. If you want to get technical about it, I'd let Fred explain that, but this Escapist article sums up pretty well why it's so hard to have save states in modern games unless you have a giant budget like Skyrim:

http://www.escapistm...heckpoint-Saves <-- Seriously, read this.

Personally, I was against the checkpoint idea at first, I hated the thought of it, but given our limited options and after seeing how we implemented it and how it works with our style of gameplay, I think it actually makes more sense than having manual saves. Especially given the arcadey, high scoring style of ROTT. And I stand by the system knowing that it works well and that it was a serious pain in the ass for the guys to have in place. You know Frederik is as old school as it gets, so if we were going to be forced to use a checkpoint system, you know he'd make sure we did it right. Trust in the hair, people.

Meanwhile, if that's the only thing you guys are unhappy with so far in regards to ROTT, then I can deal with that. :P

Also, our checkpoints have funny names... I wrote them myself... SO LOVE THEM.

Couldn't one take a lot of the work out of it by taking a general memory snapshot/dump? (Including only the necessary information.)

I'd like to know how the Source Engine handles this, to be honest, and if it could translate to Unreal in some form.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 01 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I assume the Source engine has this built in as every mod supports manual saves. Because of this, I assumed the Unreal SDK also had this by default as much as it had a 3D engine. It just seems like something that should be included.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 August 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

I assume the Source engine has this built in as every mod supports manual saves. Because of this, I assumed the Unreal SDK also had this by default as much as it had a 3D engine. It just seems like something that should be included.

It is not that easy with Source. There are a lot of bugs with manual saves in for example Black Mesa. You lose all your weapons if you save in some spots, or you are stuck in the "weapon lowered" position*, etc... Some of theese bugs are only resolved when blocking some paths and prevent you from backtracking, etc...

*) When you talk to friendly NPCs

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 01 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

• Auramancer

I'd go for a complete gamestate / memory snapshot in that case. Might make Save Files fairly big, but it's better than nothing.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 01 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

That just makes saves not work after the next patch.

User is offline   NY00123 

I also encountered some bugs with manual saves in Serious Sam 2. It happened at least once that I saw less enemies than intended, and worse - couldn't progress at some point (due to a door never getting opened).

This post has been edited by NY00123: 01 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

• Auramancer

View PostDaedolon, on 01 August 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

Apparently low budget and difficulty of implementation is their problem, so if they want to go the cheap, easy, and less buggy way, that's how they'd go and do it. They may break after updates/patches, but it's still better than nothing. Plus, you still have the checkpoints themselves to fall back on when that happens.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 01 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Besides, it's not a 50+ hour rpg.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 01 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

DaveyDoomsday. I just purchased the GOG.com version of ROTT and I tried to map the 'use' 'jump' etc.. to the ABXY and Bumpers on my wired Xbox 360 controller and it didn't map correctly meaning the game doesn't support the 360 controller 100% percent. Is there an update in the works that'll take full advantage of the Xbox 360 Controller? Also put rumble feedback in there. Just made a topic a/b it in the GOG.com forums.

http://www.gog.com/f...t_in_the_future

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postfuegerstef, on 01 August 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

It is not that easy with Source. There are a lot of bugs with manual saves in for example Black Mesa. You lose all your weapons if you save in some spots, or you are stuck in the "weapon lowered" position*, etc... Some of theese bugs are only resolved when blocking some paths and prevent you from backtracking, etc...

*) When you talk to friendly NPCs

Really? Because that has never ever happened to me and I've played through BM twice and quick save fairly often. I don't "save scum" or whatever either. I didn't even realize that was an issue to be brought up against game design because I didn't realize people were that lame to do something like that. Which is why it sounds like a cop-out argument to me, but I digress. I've never run into this problem ever. Every single player Source mod I've ever played has manual saves without any problems that I've run into. I guess I'm just lucky.

If there's a vote being taken, I don't mind memory snapshots even if it takes longer or uses more disk space.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

• Auramancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 August 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

Really? Because that has never ever happened to me and I've played through BM twice and quick save fairly often. I don't "save scum" or whatever either. I didn't even realize that was an issue to be brought up against game design because I didn't realize people were that lame to do something like that. Which is why it sounds like a cop-out argument to me, but I digress. I've never run into this problem ever. Every single player Source mod I've ever played has manual saves without any problems that I've run into. I guess I'm just lucky.

If there's a vote being taken, I don't mind memory snapshots even if it takes longer or uses more disk space.

Yeah... I never had issue with saving in Black Mesa either, and I saved a lot.

User is offline   Loke 

Me neither and I played on Hard the first time around which resulted in A LOT of quick saving and loading.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

The only saving issue I had with Black Mesa was a physics bug, but apart from that I had no problems playing through the game and quicksaving all the time.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

This game sure IS buggy.. it's VERY rough around the edges. For example.. stuff like getting caught on items sticking out of the walls during jumping puzzles... gettings stuck on junk in the levels randomly for no reason. One time I even picked up the god mode powerup and got sucked into one of those moving walls that has spikes and slides out to push the person off a platform so I got to see what the other side looked like where they didn't model... etc. and I couldn't escape and had to reload the checkpoint. The game has lots of clipping issues it seems. I wrote more in the other ROTT (2013) thread here. :P

It almost seems like they didn't do much playtesting with the game.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 01 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 August 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

Ididn't experience them myself. But I read about them on the BM forums and AFAIK they are reproducable.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostTetsuo, on 01 August 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

It almost seems like they didn't do much playtesting with the game.

They did ask for people to send applications to become betatesters, though. No clue how many got in.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Yes I remember that... they seemed to only choose like 1 out of however many people applied though.

User is offline   Beloko 

View PostDaedolon, on 01 August 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

Yeah thats how (original) Quake 2 works, you can never update the engine again without breaking all previous saves!

TBH manual saves is something you need to be very carefully built in from the START, it would be extremely challenging to retro fit afterwards.

User is offline   Kathy 

Which begs the question why they decided to ditch checkpoints building an old school shooter, when checkpoints were always listed as part of a problem in modern shooters.

View PostKathy, on 02 August 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Which begs the question why they decided to ditch checkpoints building an old school shooter, when checkpoints were always listed as part of a problem in modern shooters.

I think they added checkpoints because of programming difficulties. Because of how unoptimized the game is and bug filled the second half is, it makes one wonder if it would be genuinely hard to add it or their programmers are untalented idiots that couldn't do it.

User is offline   Kathy 

They could have done it if they decided from the start to do manual saving. Maybe they realised later that it's not that of a simple task or I don't know what. Technically manual saving is harder to code, but it's no excuse not to do it in a game like this. Especially when you can't do checkpoints right either.

• The Sarien Encounter

There's no reason not to if memory snapshots are easier. That's how I thought they were all done anyway. I couldn't figure out why it was all the sudden this big incredibly difficult thing to achieve.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

I'm totally guessing since I never programed with the Unreal Engine, but in a game like this couldn't they just make a group of variables that stored the position/status of the enemies/itens in the world? Doesn't seems hard at all. I must say I don't like the way they implemented the checkpoints, it divides the maps in many segments were you can't backtrack too much, but I'm still having fun with the game nonetheless.

By the way:
http://steamcommunit...960481985121165
This link may help with the low framerates and mouse sensitivity.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostLkMax, on 02 August 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

By the way:
http://steamcommunit...960481985121165
This link may help with the low framerates and mouse sensitivity.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish that helped. I've updated my drivers and it still runs like a fat guy running up a hill - maybe that because I can't adjust the graphics setting properly (the launcher won't work) and entering my CD key comes back with an error. For me, Interceptor's debut has been a disaster.

User is offline   LkMax 

It helped me (specially the crappy mouse control), but I'm still having some framerate issues too. This game needs serious optimization.

Share this topic:

• 40 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options