Duke4.net Forums: Interceptor Entertainment is doing a Rise Of The Triad remake. - Duke4.net Forums

• 40 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interceptor Entertainment is doing a Rise Of The Triad remake.

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

Just found out about it on Facebook:

"Joe (Siegler) is in a still classified position for Interceptor for an as of yet undisclosed project, so telling you about it would require the death of the whole world 30 years later by one of his descendants."

Yeah... pretty obvious.

http://interceptor-e...lio=joe-siegler

Disclaimer: "This is pure speculation."

Confirmed:

"Goin' down the fast way" download:

http://soundcloud.com/rott-music

This post has been edited by Fox Mulder: 13 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What's obvious? Does it have something to do with the text you put in bold? I have a feeling I'm going to look like an idiot after I read the answer..

User is offline   Malgon 

I wonder how this will go down?

View PostMicky C, on 06 June 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

What's obvious? Does it have something to do with the text you put in bold? I have a feeling I'm going to look like an idiot after I read the answer..

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

And it would have also been easier for me to guess if I had read the whole thread title instead of going straight to the thread from the main page Posted Image

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

This is pure speculation.
Joe's hint at ROTT on his Bio (the death of the whole world 30 years later by one of his descendants) relates to his personal history with the title, since he was one of the original level designers and testers.

Thats all there is to it

User is offline   Lunick 

I sure hope not.

I thought APOGEE was doing the remake?

User is offline   Kathy 

Here we go again...

User is offline   ---- 

View PostBurnett, on 06 June 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

Here we go again...

...on a sevenfortyseven ... looking on the clouds from the other side of heaven. (Motörhead)

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 06 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View Postfresch, on 06 June 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

Joe's hint at ROTT on his Bio (the death of the whole world 30 years later by one of his descendants) relates to his personal history with the title, since he was one of the original level designers and testers.

Thats all there is to it

I notice that you haven't actually denied the rumor in your post.

View PostLunick, on 06 June 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

I sure hope not.

I thought APOGEE was doing the remake?

"Apogee1", admin on Apogee Software forums, posted on 03-09-2011; "The iphone version was only a port, and not the retro remake that had been leaked out. All I can say is a serious effort is being made to move forward on the retro remake project and a developer has already started prototyping.

http://www.apogeesof...ewfull=1#post10

Hence, my speculation. But don't worry, Frederik Schreiber himself already confirmed I'm wrong, so.... :)

[...]since he was one of the original level designers and testers.[...]

I know; he did 5 levels for ROTT, and then he had the honour of working side-by-side with Tom Hall, doing 15 levels out of 42 shipped with Extreme ROTT. :)

This post has been edited by Fox Mulder: 06 June 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostFox Mulder, on 06 June 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

"Apogee1", admin on Apogee Software forums, posted on 03-09-2011; "The iphone version was only a port, and not the retro remake that had been leaked out. All I can say is a serious effort is being made to move forward on the retro remake project and a developer has already started prototyping.

http://www.apogeesof...ewfull=1#post10

Hence, my speculation. But don't worry, Frederik Schreiber himself already confirmed I'm wrong, so.... :)

Where did he confirm that? As far as I can tell he only said it was speculation, not that the speculation was wrong.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Well, whatever the rumours, I'll welcome a remake of ROTT :)

It does get difficult to play a character in modern games with their full true 3D though. Either they will have FMVs or the characters will be modelled as close to their real-world prototype actors as possible. And then, there's always the voice acting :(

On a side note, I'm still fascinated by how Patrick Stewart actually "plays" in American Dad! not only by voice acting but also by having his character's appearance bear a likeness to him :P I also think I've read somewhere that at least some of Starcraft II's characters' appearance was modelled after their voice actors. Hmm, now I've also remembered that the main character of Hitman games was given the appearance of the guy who does his voice.

They could call it anything. ROTT is a pretty generic title. The big things it had going for it were: Traps, playable characters with different abilities, insane powerups (dog mode), and using the Wolfenstein engine to do things it wasn't envisioned for doing.

I'd welcome a remake but if they were smart they'd make it a F2P multiplayer game and just go nuts with powerups and crazy shit.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

If it was just a multiplayer game I'd be seriously disappointed. The SP was a major component in the original game and it wouldn't be the same without it. I also dislike F2P games for the most part.

Anyway, I'm taking this all with a grain of salt.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 07 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostKristian Joensen, on 06 June 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Where did he confirm that? As far as I can tell he only said it was speculation, not that the speculation was wrong.

I know, right? :)

View PostTetsuo, on 07 June 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

If it was just a multiplayer game I'd be seriously disappointed. The SP was a major component in the original game and it wouldn't be the same without it.

Seconded, ROTT has much, much more potential than just nice multiplayer. A remake/reboot/whatever would need to create a fine-tuned combination of exploration, puzzle-solving, avoiding traps and intense combat, all packed into vast levels with lots of secret areas. And let's not forget the various bonuses from the original game :P

If a ROTT remake were to be made, I think I wouldn't mind if the developers deliberately refrained from all-too-realistic environments, as to recreate the feel of the original game :)

I don't know, I thought the Single Player in ROTT was very boring. Just go through the level, avoid giant spiky pillars and flames, and kill nazi's with infinite ammo. I got like 10 levels into it before I got bored. Maybe it got better? But for me I thought it was terribly boring. Meanwhile I enjoyed playing Wolfenstein for free in browser form.

I'm welcoming a remake but imho the original has not aged well.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

"Interceptor Entertainment is doing a Rise Of The Triad remake. "

God damn it! I hope this isn't true.

User is offline   Ronin 

Give it a chance, Fresch might be the one person who can pull off a remake after all didn't he.......oh.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Come on, the worst that can happen is that the remake will never be finished. :)

User is offline   Ronin 

Ha Ha, if you get bitten by a dog 3 times you will not pet the same dog not matter what Cesar Milan tells you, and our friend Fresh is not the remake whisperer. Plus Joe Siegler is not a man of integrity, he will bring nothing to any project he is involved in except false promise, whether you like him or not, he will have no effect on the quality of any modern game, making him irrelevant to anything positive about "Interceptor's" new game, in fact it kind of reminds me of the cheap move on Gearboxs behalf to bring him to Gearbox while DNF was being finished....get the old school guys on-board, give the game a bit of credibility......

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostMrFlibble, on 08 June 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Seconded, ROTT has much, much more potential than just nice multiplayer. A remake/reboot/whatever would need to create a fine-tuned combination of exploration, puzzle-solving, avoiding traps and intense combat, all packed into vast levels with lots of secret areas. And let's not forget the various bonuses from the original game :P

If a ROTT remake were to be made, I think I wouldn't mind if the developers deliberately refrained from all-too-realistic environments, as to recreate the feel of the original game :)

But the original game was all about Gratuitous Gore and Realism with Mysticism.

Oh, I was thinking about departures from realism forced on by technical limitations of the engine :) It's like you have rectangular rooms of fixed height in Wolfenstein 3-D and a castle with indoor and outdoor areas, catacombs beneath etc. in the Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

As for the SP mode in ROTT, I also initially felt a bit unusual with the unlimited ammo for small arms, but then got adjusted to it. It's just a different playstyle compared to the other FPS game of the era. As for the boredom part, the game offers lots of secrets to find, huge areas and different ways to play the levels through (including all the crazy bonuses :P).

User is offline   Tetsuo 

In a reboot what I would like for the levels is pillars and parts of the walls made from square blocks reminiscent of the 90 degree angles the levels where restricted to in the original game with its modified wolf3d engine but embellished (cobwebs, dilapidation, decoration) they could even make some of the block pillars destructable (or not... it's not a requirement)... I just think they should give a strong hint of blockyness to the architecture to harken back to the original game.... and the ground would then be height mapped\variable where appropriate especially to go with how it's all on an island.... sort of a mix of the old and the new...

Also they should start out on an actual beach and enter in from the outside... and not just have it in the intro cut scenes and plop you right away in the middle of the island...

Also the weapon system was unique to the game and I think they should keep it... also the crazy powerups... another important thing IMO is the music... which should be as much like the original as possible but not so synthetic as it would not be MIDI this time...

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 08 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

View PostTetsuo, on 08 June 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

another important thing IMO is the music... which should be as much like the original as possible but not so synthetic as it would not be MIDI this time...

ROTT music is absolutely awesome :) It's almost kinda hard to believe Lee Jackson wrote it literally while taking breaks from his tech support work (well, more precisely it was a bit the other way around, he had to take breaks from writing the soundtrack to do tech support, but anyway :P).

But what I really like about ROTT personally, and it's perhaps a hard thing to reproduce, is how all things fit together - music, sound, graphics, levels, gameplay - to make a very coherent whole. This is something not every game manages to accomplish, and even fewer take this to the level of perfection.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Another thing I would like a potential ROTT reboot developer not to skimp out on is atmosphere. ROTT wasn't just balls to the wall twitchy action. Some of the tracks where moody and atmospheric along with the levels they got attached to like foggy mountain which was literally foggy... some levels had moody lighting with the faux dynamic lighting they modified into the wolf3D engine. It may be harder to see it now since the graphics are so dated but it was pretty atmospheric for the time.

You know.. I was saying desctructable pillars may not be nessasary but I partially take that back becuase in ROTT you could destroy most props and even items you can pick up.... taking destructibility to the next level is something a reboot maker should truly look into.

But don't get me wrong from all this I'm not getting excited yet and I'll believe a reboot\remake is coming when I see it... and sadly enough not even some proof of concept screenshots or concept art is enough to prove it's coming.

View PostTetsuo, on 09 June 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

You know.. I was saying desctructable pillars may not be nessasary but I partially take that back becuase in ROTT you could destroy most props and even items you can pick up.... taking destructibility to the next level is something a reboot maker should truly look into.

Hmm, with all the powerful (if not overpowered) arsenal, that should only make sense. I think ROTT was the first game to actually show bullet marks on walls, a remake/reboot (I typed "rebott" initially :)) could just as well take a technology like the one used in Red Faction to its full potential with fully destructible environments.

Thats all there is to it

Not that you would have been able to finish the project if you actually had started remaking it...

Share this topic:

• 40 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options