Duke4.net Forums: Prometheus [2012] - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prometheus [2012]  "A new film by Ridley Scott!!!!"

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#31

View Postwayskobfssae, on 11 June 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

Alien started out slow and picked up steam, if I remember correctly.

Before 90s it was quite normal for a movie to have those kind of runs. Now, most of the earnings movies get are in the first 2 weeks.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 12 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

0

User is offline   Jim Rockford 

  • Banned on Rigel
  • 4,740

#32

You also have to take into account that the market is saturated with movies, and you don't even have to go to the theatre to see them anymore. They didn't have Redbox, or even rental stores, back then. Pair that with the proliferation of information on these movies, and the fact that a large portion of the population doesn't even go to the theatre, and you can see why they want everything to happen in the first two weeks.

ION FURY DEVELOPERS SAID NOTHING WRONG

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 12 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

0

User is offline   Bruno Mattei 

  • -72

#33

http://youtu.be/-x1YuvUQFJ0
0

User is offline   Bloodshot 

  • 769

#34

The movie was okay, it wasn't amazing or anything, and some of the designs were questionable, but it did have some interesting ideas for the Xenomorph's origin.

The old ones were way better of course, but still, I enjoyed it despite its obvious flaws, glaring as they may be.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 09 June 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

I'd rather go see Men in Black 3. At least it's trailer isn't plagued by stupid dubstep scream samples.


Have you ever seen the original Alien trailer?



that noise was put in for a very specific reason

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 14 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

0

User is offline   trustn0! 

  • 81

#35

Saw the film a few days ago and ill post my quick thoughts

First off.
This film is GORGEOUS.
I shit you not. The cinematography in this film is astounding.

Now then i can go on and on about the positives that this film has and i do recommend people seeing it but ill just mention the problems with it.

Theres no consistent threat.
Alot of characters are underdeveloped and are used as simple cannon fodder.
And there is alot of unanswered questions you will be having by the end of the film.
0

User is offline   Jim Rockford 

  • Banned on Rigel
  • 4,740

#36

The difference is that Alien's trailer is effective.

ION FURY DEVELOPERS SAID NOTHING WRONG
0

User is offline   Hool 

  • 162

#37

View PostBloodshot, on 14 June 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

The movie was okay, it wasn't amazing or anything, and some of the designs were questionable, but it did have some interesting ideas for the Xenomorph's origin.

The old ones were way better of course, but still, I enjoyed it despite its obvious flaws, glaring as they may be.



Have you ever seen the original Alien trailer?



that noise was put in for a very specific reason


I love the way the trailer was made how you don't see the Xenomorph unless you go see the movie. I've seen a lot of trailers and they flat out ruin it by revealing too much. The way the trailer presented itself was that the look of the Alien was spread by word of mouth or other ways much like Cloverfield.

-Wheatley
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#38

Well... because Alien didn't appear in the movie before the very end. There should be a rule for not showing anything in the last 20 minutes of the movie. Hell, at least made a rule not to show anything in the last 5 minutes. Without credits of course.

Oh!!!! I just remembered one thing about Prometheus about which I was really delighted. The movie had opening credits. I love opening credits cause they set you in the mood. The opening was akin to Shining, which was a good start.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

  • I have the power!
  • 389

#39

Crossed Purposes.com Episode 3 Prometheus and Space Jesus

Myself and some other Theology PhD students started a podcast and today we talked about Prometheus. I liked the movie (ignoring some of the obvious "meh" things).

I'm still smarter than you
0

User is offline   thatguy 

  • 125

#40

Thought I was going to jump into this thread seeing a bunch of ignorant posts about how the film sucks and how there are way too many plot holes.

Anyways, I totally loved this film. This film puts in perspective, the very reason why current movie goers are complete idiots. Everyone wants answers and this film made you feel like shit. Everything was put into perspective while at the same time offering one of the most gorgeous and mindblowing feelings of discovering your existence. Hard to capture that feeling.

I've talked to many people asking why the film sucked. I have combated practically of their reasons and was able to put people into to categories. One side are the people who enjoy storytelling and purposeful writing (these people understand why quesitons shouldn't always be answered. These people probably enjoy Lovecraftian storytelling), the others are...for a better word. Greedy moviegoers. They want everything catered to them. They find it hard to cope with having questions unanswered ignoring the fact that they are still talking about the movie after it was over....enjoying a film past its credits are ignored and frowned upon with these people.

Its sad, but oh well./rant

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 23 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#41

So basically either people like this film or they're idiots, right?

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   thatguy 

  • 125

#42

View PostBurnett, on 23 October 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

So basically either people like this film or they're idiots, right?


Yeah, people who enjoy Transformers and things its the film of the year are classy intelligent geniuses. Right? Not to mention, I didn't say people who didn't like the film are idiots. I only said that the film flushed out people the simple minded people based on their responses to the film.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 23 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#43

What's so simple minded about discussing character motivation, narrative, pace etc.("how the film sucks")? Aren't those very important to get across movie's ideas, to engage audience in the process of opening up those ideas from various perspectives?

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
1

User is offline   thatguy 

  • 125

#44

View PostBurnett, on 24 October 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

What's so simple minded about discussing character motivation, narrative, pace etc.("how the film sucks")? Aren't those very important to get across movie's ideas, to engage audience in the process of opening up those ideas from various perspectives?


Either you're an idiot, or you seriously believe simple minded people will asks those questions. Really? Sounds like you're grasping straws and trying to put words in my mouth. Good job.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 24 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

0

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

  • I have the power!
  • 389

#45

There are many ways to enjoy art and, really, none of them are "wrong" and none of them are "right". You may not see art in the same way as others and that is OK; it doesn't make them simple minded or an idiot.

For example, some people prefer deep story driven narratives with character depth and dialog in movies and television over, for example, visuals. I actually like nice visuals a lot and I do notice when visuals are poorly done, but I also expect some depth to the shows and movies I watch. Everyone has their own preferences and order of preferences; to each their own.

I'm still smarter than you
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#46

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 24 October 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Either you're an idiot, or you seriously believe simple minded people will asks those questions. Really? Sounds like you're grasping straws and trying to put words in my mouth. Good job.

I'm just trying to understand what exactly did you mean. And you're not helping. Oh yeah, I might be an idiot.

Quote

I've talked to many people asking why the film sucked. I have combated practically of their reasons and was able to put people into to categories. One side are the people who enjoy storytelling and purposeful writing (these people understand why quesitons shouldn't always be answered. These people probably enjoy Lovecraftian storytelling), the others are...for a better word. Greedy moviegoers.

Were you talking about categories of people who didn't like movie? Because after "bunch of ignorant posts about how the film sucks and how there are way too many plot holes" it felt that you were generally speaking about everyone who didn't like this film.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   Mr.Deviance 

  • 241

#47

I saw this movie very close to premiere in a proper IMAX 3D cinema with proper seats reserved online.
I had high expectations for this movie and they were pretty much met.
There were some corny moments and at least 1 character that I disliked as a person but good thing he died before he managed to annoy me too much.
All in all, this movie is a great one, especially if you're a big fan of the previous alien movies.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 24 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

0

User is offline   thatguy 

  • 125

#48

View PostMr.Flibble, on 24 October 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

For example, some people prefer deep story driven narratives with character depth and dialog in movies and television over, for example, visuals. I actually like nice visuals a lot and I do notice when visuals are poorly done, but I also expect some depth to the shows and movies I watch. Everyone has their own preferences and order of preferences; to each their own.


If that was true, then wouldn't you say that people who aren't into these types of films sort of....wrong to judge said film? If a person attempts to read your book then reviews it like so "Too many words. Therefore, book contains way too many plotholes and uninteresting setting". Would you trust the judgement of a person who didn't really read that book? What would that make them? An opinionated genius? Or Simple Minded, which by definition means "lacking subtlety and insight; 'a simple-minded argument'.". By that, its the perfect word for describing someone who....doesn't understand the subject he's getting into.

To the point the biggest complaint of the film. "Why did the Engineers create us then just destroy us?". A question that shouldn't be answered. In a previous post, I stated "Greed Moviegoers". By this, these people want EVERYTHING answered, even if these questions were meant to be unanswered for emotional/dramatic cause. Why wasn't this question answered? Clearly everyone watched the scene where they ask themselves back at the ship:

David: Why do you think your people made me?
Charlie Holloway: We made you because we could.
David: Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?

I thought it was pretty obvious that the film wanted to punch you in your gut, making you as a man feel like shit, not getting an answer straight from your creators. It was purposeful, it was genius. Because in the end, you as a creation felt emotion. Feeling disappointed.

Sure some characters just felt wrong and some reactions were so out of place. Other than that, I thought the film was absolute art in my eyes. People just don't want to feel like they are nothing in the eyes of a greater picture. The film made mankind feel worthless. Which was the essence of Alien.



This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 24 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

1

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#49

Quote

To the point the biggest complaint of the film. "Why did the Engineers create us then just destroy us?"

Shit, it was the biggest complaint, really?

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

  • I have the power!
  • 389

#50

Ridley Scott has an answer to that question.

I'm still smarter than you
0

User is offline   thatguy 

  • 125

#51

View PostMr.Deviance, on 24 October 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

I saw this movie very close to premiere in a proper IMAX 3D cinema with proper seats reserved online.
I had high expectations for this movie and they were pretty much met.
There were some corny moments and at least 1 character that I disliked as a person but good thing he died before he managed to annoy me too much.
All in all, this movie is a great one, especially if you're a big fan of the previous alien movies.


I think I know who you're talking about. LOL Yeah, some of the crew members...were insanely out of place, but in my opinion I thought it was because Weyland in the end didn't expect a lot of the people to survive, if any.
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#52

Rewatched today. I'm certainly of better opinion now about things that bothered me. Movie still has its problems, but I'm not that concerned now. To be frank, can't really say much about theological stuff. There is of course a theme regarding faith throughout the whole movie(duh), but I cannot isolate it into a viable narrative. Perhaps Flibble's podcast will enlighten me.

The last dialogue kind of bothers me.
Elizabeth Shaw: They created us. Then they tried to kill us. They changed their minds. I deserve to know why.
David: The answer is irrelevant. It doesn't matter why they changed their minds.
Elizabeth Shaw: Yes — yes it does.
David: I don't understand.
Elizabeth Shaw: Well … I guess that's because I'm a human being, and you're a robot.

Pretty outrageous claim here, Doctor.



Addon:

Hell, I still can't believe how much of a letdown this movie is in terms of the characters. We have 3 dipshit "scientists".

Millborn - a zoologist who's playing around with a completely new species.
Fifield - I guess the most "popular" character. Geologist who's scanning the entire place but somehow get lost when trying to go back.

So... these two assholes decided to go back after seeing an ancient dead body. They didn't care for samples, didn't care for anything. We have biggest discovery in the history, but geologist just wanted to study rocks yet he doesn't care about the whole rock-like structure we have here. Yeah, whatever. After they get lost they still went to that place they rushed out of.
I still can't believe Fifield was a scientist. Scientists don't go to those type of missions "for the money". If anything, proper scientists would come there for free since reward would be a reason enough.
These two amateurs were cannon fodder for a horror movie. The ones many movies had - idiots who die first. They would be at home in a Doom movie, but not in an Alien prequel.

Then we have the biggest dipshit - Holloway. The 30+ years old scientist who's disappointed his expedition found "only" a dead body, "only" an entire alien sctructure/building, "only" some ancient temple/shrine. How the fuck could you be disappointed in those discoveries? They haven't even researched the whole structure(let alone planet) and yet he was disappointed they didn't found a live intellectual being. What kind of delusions of grandeur he had?

And I'm glad none of the additional scenes made it into the movie. Most of them were horrible.


Addon2:

Flibble's podcast. The discussion on various theological themes mostly didn't really stem from movie itself. It was inspired yeah, but it's safe to say you could have discussed those without it. I expected you to discuss the subplot around losing faith and the cross being taken off since I didn't understand narrative around it it(if there was any). And yeah, the argument about "god didn't create us, therefor there is none" was stupid.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 25 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

0

User is offline   Soap DX 

  • 85

#53

I haven't watched it myself, but you guys are getting me curious.
I'm an Alien fan, and I love artistic movies, but I'm not a huge fan of slasher movies.


On a silly note;
Spoiler



On a more serious note;

This post has been edited by Soap DX: 08 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

0

User is online   Sangman 

  • 500

#54

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 23 October 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

Yeah, people who enjoy Transformers and things its the film of the year are classy intelligent geniuses. Right? Not to mention, I didn't say people who didn't like the film are idiots. I only said that the film flushed out people the simple minded people based on their responses to the film.


You sound more like an elitist cunt to me.

Prometheus didn't do much for me, but I haven't seen any of the Transformer movies. Holy shiiiiiiiit it's almost like there's more to movie tastes than black or white. Imagine that.

View PostBurnett, on 25 October 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Hell, I still can't believe how much of a letdown this movie is in terms of the characters. We have 3 dipshit "scientists".

Millborn - a zoologist who's playing around with a completely new species.
Fifield - I guess the most "popular" character. Geologist who's scanning the entire place but somehow get lost when trying to go back.

So... these two assholes decided to go back after seeing an ancient dead body. They didn't care for samples, didn't care for anything. We have biggest discovery in the history, but geologist just wanted to study rocks yet he doesn't care about the whole rock-like structure we have here. Yeah, whatever. After they get lost they still went to that place they rushed out of.
I still can't believe Fifield was a scientist. Scientists don't go to those type of missions "for the money". If anything, proper scientists would come there for free since reward would be a reason enough.
These two amateurs were cannon fodder for a horror movie. The ones many movies had - idiots who die first. They would be at home in a Doom movie, but not in an Alien prequel.


I agree with all of this. It's just ludicrous that he'd be all "lol, who cares" when humans discover aliens for the first time ever.

Also I thought David was mostly unconvincing as an android. AFAIK he's not supposed to feel any emotions but yet he shows them a lot of the time. "I'm relieved", "I'm disappointed", stuff like that. You're an android, you don't feel shit.

traB pu kciP
0

User is offline   Ronin 

  • 1,125

#55

View PostSangman, on 08 November 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

he's not supposed to feel any emotions but yet he shows them a lot of the time. "I'm relieved", "I'm disappointed", stuff like that. You're an android, you don't feel shit.


I think Ridley was following the theme from Blade Runner (what is human? Are the androids more human than the humans?) also I think in the Alien universe the earlier "artificial humans" were meant to be quite unpredictable and prone to glitches, I guess that could explain this.

I agree with you though, David did seem more human than some of the cast though I think this was on purpose.

I loved the movie, saw it three times, while there are some minor flaws I found the good which is very good outweighs the shortcomings.

I liked that I found myself thinking about the film after, searching for more answers but only finding more questions.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

0

User is online   Sangman 

  • 500

#56

David the android was more believable as a human being than those two dipshit "scientists" :P

Heck, Vickers showed less emotion than David. Maybe she was a superiour android without glitches.

traB pu kciP

This post has been edited by Sangman: 08 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

0

User is offline   Ronin 

  • 1,125

#57

View PostSangman, on 08 November 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

David the android was more believable as a human being than those two dipshit "scientists" :P

Heck, Vickers showed less emotion than David. Maybe she was a superiour android without glitches.


Well I would rather have Vickers bring me my dinner than David. Then I would proceed to eat my dinner of her robot ass, it does not matter that it's a hot pizza, she's a robot.

I'm on the fence as to whether Vickers was a bot, I think she might be, either way she can still bring me my dinner.
0

User is online   Sangman 

  • 500

#58

I actually wonder if the black pilot guy (does anyone even know his name? does it matter?) had sex with Vickers or not... It seems to be implied that he did?

Speaking of the pilot: he has two assistants that appear in maybe 1.5 scenes in the entire movie. The fuck is up with that.

traB pu kciP
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#59

Yay, thread continues!!!

View PostSangman, on 08 November 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Also I thought David was mostly unconvincing as an android. AFAIK he's not supposed to feel any emotions but yet he shows them a lot of the time. "I'm relieved", "I'm disappointed", stuff like that. You're an android, you don't feel shit.

He could have been programmed for that. Although, he appeared to be genuinely fascinated a lot of times.

View PostSangman, on 08 November 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

I actually wonder if the black pilot guy (does anyone even know his name? does it matter?) had sex with Vickers or not... It seems to be implied that he did?

Quite frankly, I don't really care. There was a deleted scene with him drinking/talking inside her lounge and not having sex. But, if I remember correctly, it was after she incinerated Hollaway so it doesn't apply. Or there were two scenes, too lazy to check.

Quote

Speaking of the pilot: he has two assistants that appear in maybe 1.5 scenes in the entire movie. The fuck is up with that.

Too many character. Fiefer killed like 2 or 3 people and I'm not even sure who they were. Aliens did a much better introduction of "cannon fodder" people.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is online   Sangman 

  • 500

#60

View PostBurnett, on 09 November 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

Too many character. Fiefer killed like 2 or 3 people and I'm not even sure who they were. Aliens did a much better introduction of "cannon fodder" people.


True. I only remembered who Shaw and David were. I had to look up Vickers' name, and who the fuck is Halloway again?

The characters suck ass. But hey I guess I'm just an idiot moviegoer who just wants to watch mindless summer blockbusters, right? :/

traB pu kciP

This post has been edited by Sangman: 09 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options