Duke4.net Forums: [REL] PJSloth1 - by Peter Williams - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[REL] PJSloth1 - by Peter Williams

User is online   quakis 

PJSloth1 - by Peter Williams
Released: 24th May 2012

Peter Williams returns with a new release after an 11 year hiatus. His previous maps include Stranded and The Aztec Ruins.

Posted Image

Download: Here
Reviews: MSDN | TAW | Scent88

This post has been edited by quakis: 14 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Cool open map, not many of these around!

User is offline   MetHy 

I remembered loving The Aztec Ruins

actually, I just found my comment from 2009 on DN-R

http://dukerepositor...10.html#msg9310

Will check this one out asap

User is offline   MetHy 

Good map

Like Highland, which was just released as well, it sticks to one theme and one progression idea which is something I appreciate (in highland you go from the rooftop of the school to the road, inPJSolth1 you go from the bottom of the canyon to the top).

the map didn't impress me as much as Aztec Ruins impressed me in 2009 though.

But good map. Only the elevators all over the map seemed odd to me.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I actually played the Aztec Ruins right after this one and all the backtracking really hurts it. This one is slightly better.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

Very cool map. Thanks to the wide open areas, I was able to put some distance between me and that wave of aliens at the end. (least after 5 or 6 deaths, that is!) Great fun and worth a replay or 2.
That reminds me. I couldn't find a way to finish Aztec Ruins when I played it a while back. Think I'll give that another go as I actually don't remember where, or why I was stuck.

I look forward to trying this one when I get a few minutes. Canyon maps are rare. And it looks open too. :)

User is offline   Paul B 

I've had a chance to play this map and I played it with Polymer and the HRP. Everything was great right up until the end where my frame rate was sucked right down the tube and it was unplayable. Then again I played this map running Windows 7 which is probably where lies my problem. Anyway, the map design is incredible it's truely an amazing layout. You definitely had a vision and tackled this map from a 4th dimension. I mean this has to be one of the nicest looking wide open outdoor maps i've ever seen. Something this complicated you must have had to draw out on paper first? I circled the map so many times and never got tired of it. Every verticy is placed perfectly as was every enemy and item. I couldn't finish the map without cheating because once again I found there to be a shortage of ammo for the amount of enemies that were thrown at you. I'm a guy that likes to clear and area before I move onward. I killed 201 enemies in this map and 2 were somehow left behind. There definitely is a frustration about this map that is like no other. But it sure is fun to look at.

Thanks for sharing, your creativity is amazing!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 01 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Gave it a try. A nice concept, with a good looking landscape. Intense action but way too much firepower from the enemies side. Gave up after a loop of load and save where i could really not stand the fight (right after picking all the trip mines). I think I survived more than ten minutes. Didn´t want to cheat since the whole idea of the map seems to be based on shootings. Despite that, seemed like a great map.

Oh the sky selection was annoyingly ugly.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 10 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Whoah, I really need to get back into playing Duke again! Stranded and Aztec ruins were both great maps (I have played them many times, and they are especially good with mods) and I look forward to playing this one.

User is offline   MetHy 

I didn't think the map was hard, I didn't die. You can abuse hitscans weapon for a good part of the map, and at the end, you can hide behind the crates.

User is offline   Gambini 

Maybe I moved in the wrong directions, but I ended up waking up a huge amount of monsters to the point of literally having nowhere to hide. After that, I lasted a lot running, jumping and randomly shooting the monsters in my way.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Yeah the map is quite easy, I made a note near the end that my health never went below 40.

User is offline   underTaker 

Hmm, i had some difficiltues to keep myself alive, maybe i missed some health packs or ammo, but i didn't die a single time. This map somehow reminded me of old good game Painkiller :) I really enjoyed it.

User is online   ck3D 

just played this, took 12 minutes, surprisingly enough i had a pretty hard time keeping up with the fights because after the first few minutes of the map (soon after the chaingun) i just lost attention when it comes to trying to locate the little medkits and secluded weapons and ammunition items scattered here and there behind the crates (the map was too open for me to notice most of them with my usual style of playing), so i thought fuck it and went all in, running about, jumping everywhere, leaving most enemies behind (seeing as i was low on ammo) and just doing whatever it takes to reach the top of the canyon. that was actually pretty fun too, even though i probably managed to skip entire chunks of the map by finding what i assume were intended to be potential shortcuts, jumping from one area to another, and dodging the crates and sandbags that were probably meant to block me. i also skipped the final battle by running straight to the nuke button after luring the battlelord away from it by running behind the crates. i totally cowarded the fuck out throughout the last three quarters of this map, but the openness of it actually made it fun. the terrain design was pretty amazing too !

This post has been edited by ck3D: 16 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I finally got around to playing this and I enjoyed it a lot. But I actually think that Aztec and Stranded are better (especially Stranded). I hope this map represents a return to mapping, because I would like to see an improvement upon old form.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Not much to add to what the other guys said. I like open areas and I like these brown desert textures.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 June 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Whoah, I really need to get back into playing Duke again! Stranded and Aztec ruins were both great maps (I have played them many times, and they are especially good with mods) and I look forward to playing this one.

This one was a bit too hard for me while using DukePlus. I died many times.

View PostPaul B, on 01 June 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

I've had a chance to play this map and I played it with Polymer and the HRP. Everything was great right up until the end where my frame rate was sucked right down the tube and it was unplayable.
You can put stuff like
bind "Kpad3" "setrendermode 3"
bind "Kpad4" "setrendermode 4"

into your settings.cfg. Then you can temporarily switch to Polymost in areas with low framerate. Works pretty well unless you are in a region with Polymer lighting only.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 02 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options