Duke4.net Forums: Carmageddon 1 & 2 devs want your money on kickstarter for a sequel NOW! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Carmageddon 1 & 2 devs want your money on kickstarter for a sequel NOW!

User is offline   Engel220 

To be honest, I'm glad they're doing early access not just to keep fans quiet, but also because it gives the customer a chance to offer feedback during development and it gives the devs a good idea on what people do and don't like and what to tweak. It's a great way to build a better final product when you get unbiased feedback from people who part with their money to play it, and that's not to say that paid testers in-house or outsourced are biased or that they lie, but the honesty is much more willingly offered when someone has parted with their hard-earned money for a product.

Also, Stainless did state that a lot of issues (including many issues X-Vector listed) would be present, it is a pre-alpha after all, but those are all things that will be worked out and improved down the line. Stainless were honest and said that this is no stable or near-perfect early release, but people don't seem overly upset by that judging by the fan playthroughs and comments (aside from a few who can't currently run the early build due to tech issues).

So far the early alpha looks like classic Carma with modern graphical tech and more in-depth damage physics, and if the night levels look as good as the test track in daylight then they could be on to a winner.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 14 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostX-Vector, on 14 March 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

As much as I appreciate the usefulness of crowdfunding in circumventing the conservatism of the publishing establishment, this all looks like a bit of a sham:

- Carmageddon fans are pledging money solely based on the reputation of a developer that had a single hit back in 1997
- Backers are encouraged to act as testers without pay
- the game apparently hasn't even reached alpha status yet
- the test course is basic, small and so unfinished that the track consists of a placeholder checkerboard texture
- despite all this, there are massive framerate problems

Under these circumstances, the only use of this "early access" scheme I can see is to have the game's basic functionality tested (mostly driving physics), but that is exactly the part that should be left up to the seasoned devs that created the franchise; if anyone would know what Carmageddon should drive like, it'd be them.
At his point, it seems to me that Stainless might as well have given a group of fans an engine license and told them to make a new Carmageddon game themselves.

I encourage you to post this on the official forums. Chances are that actual devs will answer to your post without banning you and try to defeat your point .
Believe it or not, Nobby the CEO of Stainless and a key member in the design of this game and in the design of the previous 2 games will simply answer anybody's question without censoring himself at all.
You can literally ask him what the fuck is his vision and his plan and he will tell you via pm if you do.
I had long chats with him via pm, I even gave him my vision of how the game should be and he actively commented on what he thinks about my ideas.
I was even credited by him in the public forum for helping him change the game's design in a few small areas.
For ex the apc wheels from police cars and suppressor will respect the design of the first carmageddon instead of looking like they do in the concept art because I explained my theory and reasoning in great detail.
The guy is not a pretentious bastard at all. He actually takes time to talk with any random fag and does not let you feel as if he has too much shit to do to ever take you seriously.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 14 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Did you ask for an autograph?

View PostKathy, on 14 March 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

Did you ask for an autograph?

I don't see why would I ever ask anybody for an autograph?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 14 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Because your enthusiasm towards him and his project was surprising. Especially in the wake of the problems project is having. It doesn't matter what he told you, the actual results of the devolopment do, which look rather dissapointing considering planned release date.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 14 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

View PostKathy, on 14 March 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

Because your enthusiasm towards him and his project was surprising. Especially in the wake of the problems project is having. It doesn't matter what he told you, the actual results of the devolopment do, which look rather dissapointing considering planned release date.

You seem to judge what you see in this closed pre-alpha as if it's an open beta when in fact it's not even a closed beta, not even a closed alpha.
This is as low as it can get, it's pre-alpha and pre-alpha is what no studio ever releases to the public but Stainless wants to develop this game along with it's fanbase.
If you care to understand the inner workings of this project you need to know that Stainless has a massive and very old carmageddon fanbase with hundreds of modding sites for it(some of which actually date since 1997) and many of the modders are capable and even expected to be crucial in the evolution of this new game, which is why the game comes with an actual option in the menu called CarMODgeddon.
Stainless is letting it's fans work with every single tool and file used to create the game and even supporting info on how to tweak everything from physics to animations and particles or shaders of the game.
For a carmageddon fan, this pre-alpha looks like it has a lot of things done right.
There are no problems with it except some code they admitted to just having implemented which needs to be refined in the course of the following months in order to make the alpha require less hardware power.
I don't see what you find dissapointing here since almost everybody that played it and commented about it has found it extremely fun.
This game was funded by carmageddon fans to begin with, so there is no other way to make this game other than to aim to please them first.
If you expected a racing game that matches triple A games with a budget of at least 50 million bucks or more, then the joke is on you.
All that carmageddon fans wanted is to get a new carmageddon game from the original creators and have it look better than carmageddon 2.
Believe it or not, for many carma fans, this pre-alpha showed graphics much above anybody's wildest expectations.
Frankly, many people were expecting much less than it is now and they would have still been happy with it.
This game was worked at since late 2010 up until late 2012 and then everything was scrapped and they started something new and better looking in early 2013 after they got a surprise 3 million bucks donation.
What they actually have in their studios is much more than what this closed pre-alpha testing has right now.
They purposely didn't release all of the finished levels or other cars in this closed pre-alpha and they even wrote why they decided to do that in their disclaimer.

If you want to criticize Stainless for something, you can criticize them for being complete noobs when it comes to advertising and pr.
You can criticize them for being too honest and open with everybody, when in reality many people are very skeptical and cautious due to how much pr bullshit they've seen in the last 10 years from all these other gaming studios.
In my opinion, Stainless is the most honest and open developer that has ever existed and it is so extremely honest and open about their internal work flow, that it actually harms them in the long run.
Their pr resumes to simply having them talk honestly about their stuff without boasting or lying.
Every single thing that I was told it will be in the game is and everything that I was told it would be changed has been changed.

There are always kids and first timers that ignorantly disregard something awesome and assume that what they see in a pre-alpha youtube video, is pretty much what the final game will be like.
That is what might harm Stainless in the long run but everything else is covered.
Some have suggested that Stainless should have waited a bit more and put out a pre-alpha that had at least one complete level but then again, they would not be true to themselves and 100% honest if they purposely waited much more before giving it to the higher backers of the project.
They were a bit forced to release something so that backers won't start feeling scammed or paranoid.

If you find it disappointing then I suggest you check it one more time when the final version comes out and if you will still not be entertained by it, then either they managed to fuck it up by then or you are simply not into carmageddon anymore or at all.
The moment I see them fucking this up or lying with something, I will be among the first to call them out and curse their guts.
So yeah, I still have a lot of enthusiasm for this game, more than ever.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 15 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 15 March 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

This game was worked at since late 2010 up until late 2012 and then everything was scrapped and they started something new and better looking in early 2013 after they got a surprise 3 million bucks donation.

So they raised $600k with a plan to develop game by 2013, but scrapped everything that was made with the funds they raised? That's even worse. What was the point of KS campaign, to waste other people's money?

There are always kids and first timers that ignorantly disregard something awesome and assume that what they see in a pre-alpha youtube video, is pretty much what the final game will be like.

You're missing my point. It's not about pre-alpha quality per se, but about development and KS campaign.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View PostKathy, on 15 March 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

So they raised $600k with a plan to develop game by 2013, but scrapped everything that was made with the funds they raised? That's even worse. What was the point of KS campaign, to waste other people's money?

You're missing my point. It's not about pre-alpha quality per se, but about development and KS campaign.

Nothing was scrapped, the tech was reseted.

The assets seem to be there since the moment the game was announced, but they decided they should improve the tech (adding better lightning, virtual texturing, etc).

By receiving an extra $3,5M funds they can hire more people, develop more assets faster and port the game to next-gen consoles.

I don't think they could afford to ditch 600k in favour to 3,5m, but take everything that was made from these 600k AND rebuild them into better stuff

View PostKathy, on 15 March 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

They didn't get to waste the people's money when they remade the engine.
They didn't exactly release a list of things kept and things scrapped but by the time they made the kickstarter campaign, they already had 2 million worth of their money, put into development and they already had a prealpha that you saw in the gameplay video that they released when they started their kickstarter.
If you noticed, the kickstarter pre-alpha video of 2012 featured many things that now look different in this closed pre-alpha that they've released 2 days ago.
In 2012 they had reached the level at which they are now with this new tech.
So they didn't evolve what they've shown in the 2012 trailer, they just replaced a lot of it with newer tech and more detailed stuff.
They have no intention to scrap anything now and they are fully working towards finishing what they have released now.

User is offline   MetHy 

Digging this thread up...

The game has been fully released more than a month and a half ago, unnoticed... (probably due to how it was early access all along)

Has anyone tried it? It looks amazing and I sank hundreds of hours in the original as a kid; but I see tons of comments saying it's poorly optimized or may not even run. So, feedback would be nice.

View PostMetHy, on 14 July 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

Digging this thread up...

The game has been fully released more than a month and a half ago, unnoticed... (probably due to how it was early access all along)

Has anyone tried it? It looks amazing and I sank hundreds of hours in the original as a kid; but I see tons of comments saying it's poorly optimized or may not even run. So, feedback would be nice.

In my opinion, the game is a mix between Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2. The gameplay is pretty good and it does feel like Carmageddon. The only real problem is the optimization. Shortly after the game went gold, a shit storm came and overrun the forums with lots of shit. The developer responded by saying they are working on the mentioned problems, but they thought the game was pretty much release ready because they got the game to run on 30 fps. This was a bad choice to release it this early. The communication also hasn't been the best and i hope they'll update their dev blog at some point.
If you have a pretty high end system, then i think you are going to have a lot of fun with the game.

User is offline   MetHy 

I bought the game yesterday after spending several days lurking its Steam store page.

I have an intel quadcore 3,2ghz, 8 GB of DDR3 and a GTX660. The game runs between 60 and 100 FPS depending on the map at medium settings at 1280x960.
I was hoping to make the game run at 144fps but nope. The funny thing is that, even I set a lower resolution or lower graphic settings, the game isn't actually any smoother, it doesn't make any difference at all.

I've played 6 "races" and so far the game feels very much like exactly like Carma 1 except with prettier graphics, new game modes, more aggressive adversaries, and a lot of small details that Carma 1 had which this one is missing (where are the "in-car" view, the driver face cam and the rear-view mirror?)

The aggressiveness of the opponents is a good thing but it also makes it impossible to beat a race by crushing every civilian, on normal difficulty. If you try that you can be sure all your adversaries will commit suicide in front of your eyes at some point and end the race.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new upgrade system and I think I liked the musics in Carma 1 better.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 18 July 2015 - 11:31 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Man, what happened to the bonus that shows pedestrians on the map? it's nowhere to be found... There was only 13 pedestrians left on the map for me to kill in the first course, out of 705! But I eventually gave up, the level is so huge it was a boring goose chase... i checked everywhere, even on roofs... i was hoping i'd find that ped map showing bonus eventually but nope.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 19 July 2015 - 03:16 AM

View PostMetHy, on 19 July 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

Man, what happened to the bonus that shows pedestrians on the map? it's nowhere to be found... There was only 13 pedestrians left on the map for me to kill in the first course, out of 705! But I eventually gave up, the level is so huge it was a boring goose chase... i checked everywhere, even on roofs... i was hoping i'd find that ped map showing bonus eventually but nope.

Those pups are still in the game, hard to find, but they're still there.

User is offline   MetHy 

I saw some bonus canisters in places that seemed really hard to reach. I guess this is where I should look. I tried going there using kangooroo or bubble but couldn't make it.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I love Carmageddon. Backed this since day one and have had access all along. But I'm not going to bother until I get a better PC.

User is offline   MetHy 

I've actually been enjoying the game a lot. I'm in "chapter" 3 atm and some of my fav environments from Carma 1 as still missing though, I hope they're there later on in the game.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm loving the game but damn, how do you guys manage to just fuck around in "classic carma" races? Even on easy, no matter what I do, the last opponent always wrecks himself and ends the race. Only one time I managed to get one stuck on the edge of dying with no way to move.

This wasn't a problem in the original. I mean, it's really good that opponents are more vicious and an actual threat now, but this leaves less room to just fuck around. I still haven't been able to beat a single "classic carma" race by crushing all the peds, nor did I find any "show peds on map" bonus yet. I really have trouble getting to the high up places on some maps, even with kangooroo, bubble car, wall climber, etc...

http://images.akamai...56D86E209F6F81/

http://images.akamai...303D7FD583C22B/

Edit : oh wait, I did get the "crush all peds" win, but in that small map that had very few corners and only 275 pedestrians.
Some more crazy screenshots :
http://steamcommunit...97/screenshots/

Edit 2: oh boy I finally found one of the "show peds on maps" bonuses ! The thing wasn't even that hidden honestly on that map, here is where I got it in The Loop. Since it seems that all bonuses always appear in the same spots, chances are it will be there at least some of the times.
http://images.akamai...E1FD0E995E0F1C/

Then, against the last car opponnent, I used the bonus that gives flat tire. I used it twice on him and he could only move very slowly and I was able to kill all 654 peds very easily. Tons of fun.
The last ped seemed to be underwater, at the very edge of the map, but when I killed all the others, looks like the game made him "drown" and I won. I guess it's cool if they thought of an "suicide" feature when the last ped is stuck somewhere.

Without the bonus it is hopeless to try and get all peds on such big maps. Or it would take hours and chances are your opponent would kill itself, flat tires or not. When a black sheep is stuck between bushes he's really hard to spot, for instance...

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I've been replaying Reincarnation a lot lately, anyone else play it here? The last update made the game alot better with bug fixes and HUGE optimization improvement. If you had a hard time running the game smoothly at highres last time, you should be able to now. There are also two new cars which are some of the most fun to use.

It's very fun and addicting and I have to say it surpasses the original Carmageddon in many ways : adversaries AI are actually a threat, and there are many different fun game modes in which they always play along. There is even a stricly "race" mode in which they will actually try to race. I still think the original Carma 1 had better environments though.

There is something that really bothers me though. Due to glitches, there is a course in which it is impossible to crush all pedestrians; and in several other courses, due to another glitch, it's very hard or even near impossible. Basically, pedestrians get stuck in decor.
These are very important glitches because usually you don't realize it until a long time, after you've killed most pedestrians; and also because it means that some courses can't be completeled that way therefore it is impossible to 100% the game.

I've reported these glitches hoping they will be fixed but then I noticed one of them was already reported by someone in July last year and was not fixed in the latest update....

This post has been edited by MetHy: 21 February 2016 - 02:38 AM

User is online   Mark 

I used to play the original all the time. I went out and bought a steering wheel / gas and break pedal controller just for the game. I didn't play any other racing games. I was anxiously awaiting the release of the new version and told myself when it releases I'll go out and buy a USB joystick so I can play the new game. It seems to be a case of "out of sight, out of mind". I forgot all about the game until I read your post. Thanks for the reminder.

edit: My brother has the game and he told me joystick control is too touchy. He said the game seems to be tailored for a gamepad. Having never owned a gaming console I would have to learn to use a gamepad. Too much for this lazy old fart. I'll pass.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 February 2016 - 08:43 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

It's playing just fine on keyboard here, like I've always played Carmageddon.

I've found tricky ways to go around the 2 glitches I mentioned which prevented me from completing some courses with a "kill all peds finish", but then I found another pedestrian stuck in the decor in another course, and for this nothing will work...

User is online   Mark 

I think what I'll do is play it at my brother's house with a usb joystick and see how it goes. Maybe it will be good enough control for me.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 February 2016 - 01:13 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'm playing it and having a blast.

A new Carmageddon game has been announced titled 'Carmageddon : Max Damage'.

"Today we announced the news that Carmageddon: Max Damage will be released on consoles in mid 2016. We hope you’re as excited as us at the prospect of Carmageddon reaching a wider audience through console. But don’t worry - we haven’t forgotten about your support - and because we value your continued loyalty so much, when Carmageddon: Max Damage is released on PC you will automatically receive a copy. Yes, that’s another Carmageddon in your Steam library – for free!

We hope you will enjoy this new level of carnage, and thanks again for your continued support.

Visit http://www.carmageddonmaxdamage.com for more information about the new console game."

Reincarnation owners will get the new game for free.

Alot of awesomeness in one trailer.

User is offline   MetHy 

This video? it looks more like what Splat Pack was to Carma1, as it seems to be the same engine, some similar vehicules and everything and even a similar environment.

But more Carmageddon is always good as I'm having a blast with this one. Just for the new environments alone it will be worth it because i'm honestly pretty bored with the environments in Reincarnation, i think there is like only 5 different worlds total, one of which is only used in a single "classic carma" course (in which the race track is boring), and they're not varied enough imo.

Those trucks look amazing by the way.

But they NEEED to fix those stuck pedestrian glitches, like really. Sadly I doubt that will happen.... One of them was reported in July last year and was not fixed in the latest update.

Also, anyone here going for the "kill all pedestrians" finishes? I'm missing about 6-7 but some placement of "show peds on map" bonuses are INSANE, and without it it's hopeless since you wouldn't even know if a glitch got a ped stuck somewhere.
Some are easy to find, but in some courses I honestly gave up after several hours of looking for the damn bonus and ended up looking it up online.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 23 February 2016 - 06:08 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMetHy, on 23 February 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

This video? it looks more like what Splat Pack was to Carma1, as it seems to be the same engine, some similar vehicules and everything and even a similar environment. ...

Yeah, it looks like an expansion to Reincarnation.

Sadly, I thought Reincarnation was a bigger disappointment than DNF. Bad graphics, shit performance and loading times, no cockpit view, bad camera, dull gameplay, dubstep soundtrack etc... Carmageddon 1 is still one of my favorite games, but I can honestly say I enjoy TDR:2000 more than Reincarnation. And I find no joy in this, as I really looked forward to the game and backed it.

User is offline   MetHy 

"Shit performance" got fixed in the christmas update.

I really think Reincarnation is almost as good as Carma1, only downsides are the glitches, and the lack of variety of environments imo. And yeah, no cockpit kinda sucks but that's not a big point. I hope they bring it back though.

I've only ever really played 1 and Reincarnation though, I may have played 2 and the N64 game for a few mins at best (the N64 one seemed terrible iirc).

Carma 1 I spent hundreds of hours in as a kid.

Speaking of the glitches, I did find a way around the last glitch I mentioned (a ped stuck in decor that I couldn't kill).
However, I seemed to have found another glitch : in the island environment where there is the loop in the middle (you know the one), it seems that there is a glitch with the "show peds on map" bonuses, in most if not all courses taking place in that environment.
You see, in the first course of that map, the placement of "show peds on map" bonus is at placement X; but i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be somewhere else in other courses taking place on that map, yet if you pick the bonus where it is in the first course, a message will tell you you've picked a random bonus; but you'll see the peds on the map anyway.

The good thing is that this glitch makes it easier to acquire that bonus and kind of makes it even with the other glitch getting peds stuck in unreachable water.

Edit : that or it just doesn't show the right message? Guides seem to tell the placement of the bonus is correct, but it is weird to see it in the same placement in several courses.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 February 2016 - 06:17 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Did reincarnation come out for consoles?

View PostDavoX, on 24 February 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

Did reincarnation come out for consoles?

No, Max Damage will essentially be Reincarnation in a new coat.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I've got a lot of friends with only PS4's, and this and Trackmania coming to it soon is great, I can finally experience this stuff with friends.
Granted they won't be the same as their PC counterparts, playing them with friends would be worth it.

Looking forward to giving this a go!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options