Duke4.net Forums: Carmageddon 1 & 2 devs want your money on kickstarter for a sequel NOW! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Carmageddon 1 & 2 devs want your money on kickstarter for a sequel NOW!

View PostMicki!, on 02 June 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

I was considering getting a new phone that is able to run that..!

Already wanted a new phone for a while, but this is more so of a reason to get one isn't it..? :)
Yeah it does look improved, the cars look all shiny and stuff, I'm honestly kind of missing the old pixelated graphics, but I don't mind the update, and it doesn't seem like much else has changed at all, the physics are all the same ..!

I hope Splat Pack will eventually become part of this mobile release, it doesn't seem to be at the moment anyway...

Actually, the android and ios versions will only be free for the first 24 hours for everybody both backers and non backers.
As for actually getting carmageddon 1 and splat pack for free if you back the project, you will get them FOR PC after they get fixed by gog.com
When they get fixed, if you donated at least 25 bucks or more you will get a key for both carma 1 and splatpack + access to the hidden beta forums an the beta itself of this new carmageddon game that's being made, + you will get the new game when it gets done both drm free and steam edition.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 02 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

Why I know all those things, they mention them afterall :)

But I'm probably not getting a new phone early enough to take advantage of the 24 hours free mobile version anyway, so that's not going to be an issue..!
As for Carmageddon + SplatPack on gog.com, I'll most likely buy them from gog.com as soon as they become available, mainly to support Stainless and gog.com, the free vouchers I get afterwards can always be given to friends or something I guess..!

Also congrats to Stainless for reaching $500.000..!

User is offline   Engel220 

So this mobile port is free for non-backers as well? Excellent, I've been dying to replay Carma for a while. Hopefully it'll be announced somewhere when it goes live, don't want to miss a chance at a good freebie.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 03 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostEngel220, on 03 June 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

So this mobile port is free for non-backers as well? Excellent, I've been dying to replay Carma for a while. Hopefully it'll be announced somewhere when it goes live, don't want to miss a chance at a good freebie.

Just for the first 24 hours, after which it will cost something.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

"For thoes who're about to die, we salute you!"

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 03 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

User is offline   Micki! 

Yess, it looks excellent doesn't it..?
It's not long before it ends, 60 hours from now..!

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Holy hell they get it:

Not bad for placeholder stuff.

That car model has a great special feature that kickstarter backers will get exclusively, a working chainsaw blade. Mowing down peds with a car with a chainsaw built in, now that's a DLC exclusive I can get excited about.

On the subject of the game itself, they're doing a bang up job. This could well result in another letter from the Pope; this isn't violence, this is ultra-violence, and that's just what this game needs.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 04 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

I haven't seen a really good easy to follow explanation on how to get Carmageddon 1 running quickly and easily, so here's my setup:

Download the Carmageddon 1 & Splat Pack Meld Pack (this is not piracy, the dudes at Stainless encourage you to dl the game)

Download nGlide

Download DOSBox SVN-Daum

Download Carmav.zip

Install the Meld Pack. You can run CARMA95.exe now and the game should play fine. If you want it to look slightly better create a shortcut to CARMA95.exe and add -hires to the launch properties. Also go to the data folder, open OPTIONS.txt and change Yon to Yon 100.000000. This increases the draw distance dramatically.

The next stuff is optional, but I recommend it if you want higher resolution and anti-aliasing support. Unzip Carmav.zip into the Carmageddon folder, placing carmav.exe in the same directory as CARMA95.exe.
Install nGlide then run the Configurator (should be in the Start>Programs). From there you can change resolution and other things when they use 3dfx.
Install DOSBox SVN Daum. If it comes with a glide or 3dfx dll file delete it. Run dosbox.exe. The next stuff uses my install as an example of how to mount and run the game. In dosbox type and at the end of every line hit Enter:

mount c c:\CarmaSP\Carmageddon
c:
carmav

That's it. The game should run and look pretty without the jaggy edges. You can even create a new carmav.exe profile in your graphics card control panel and force all sorts of stuff pushing the game until your computer runs like shit. Freedom of choice.

User is offline   Micki! 

That's pretty cool, it works perfectly fine ..!
I'm a little unsettled that anyone can pretty much get the entire game from that... Are you absolutely sure Stainless are encouraging it..?

Well, I'm going to replace it with the gog.com version once that's released either way, but thanks alot anyway, this can keep me entertained for a looong time until then :)

Also, thier newest video, although looking damn rough, looks great, mainly looking at the vehicle physics and details like bloody skidmarks and such, if there was any cool vehicle damage models shown as well, It would have been amazing ..!

They're definitely on the right track it seems, I looks very much forward to it..!

That download and others are advertised all over the official Carmageddon forum. Also from this interview with nobby:

RPS: Is there any scope to re-release the original games too, or is that tied up in whatever’s left of SCI?

Neil Barnden: We go round and round with the discussion on this one. We do own everything, so if we want to we can – we absolutely own the rights to all the previous code, even the stuff that’s Carmageddon-related that we didn’t work on ourselves. It’s all ours. But I think because it’s so easy to go online and find a copy of Carmageddon from a warez site or whatever, it doesn’t feel to us like there’d be an awful lot of point in just rereleasing the originals. We had talked about it, but on our website now we’ve got guys talking about how to get it running on Windows 7, various patches which make it look nicer and high-res, so rather than try and shut them down and go after the people distributing the game, we just thought we’ve got to embrace that and let ‘em have it. They can do with it what they want, because there’s been a really loyal, core modding community who’ve continued to put stuff out for the games. They’re still going.

In some recent reddit chats I believe he repeated the same viewpoint, elaborating if people don't feel like reading through the forums how to get the games working they can just buy it on GoG or pledge $25 at kickstarter.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostEngel220, on 04 June 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

That car model has a great special feature that kickstarter backers will get exclusively, a working chainsaw blade. Mowing down peds with a car with a chainsaw built in, now that's a DLC exclusive I can get excited about.

Yeah, vital car feature as an exclusive DLC sounds really exciting.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 04 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

The guys at Stainless are the most open legendary game devs I've ever had the pleasure talking to, especially Nobby (if you don't know who Nobby is, it's the bearded guy that appears in all the kickstarter videos and also happens to the the co-owner and father of carmageddon.)
That Nobby character is freaking amazing man, I pmd him like 100 times on the forums and even got personal with him and he still answered and I criticized carma 2 and told him that I liked carma 1 more because it had that cyber punk vibe to it and he agreed and even told me why that happened lol)
Literally, I have entire chat logs with Nobby via the pm box.
I even talked with Madman Tony which if you don't know who he is, then you should know it's this guy Posted ImagePosted Image
Watch this video if you haven't
http://www.youtube.c...1&v=DAoZjPzZLzo

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 June 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

The guys at Stainless are the most open legendary game devs I've ever had the pleasure talking to, especially Nobby (if you don't know who Nobby is, it's the bearded guy that appears in all the kickstarter videos and also happens to the the co-owner and father of carmageddon.)
That Nobby character is freaking amazing man, I pmd him like 100 times on the forums and even got personal with him and he still answered and I criticized carma 2 and told him that I liked carma 1 more because it had that cyber punk vibe to it and he agreed and even told me why that happened lol)
Literally, I have entire chat logs with Nobby via the pm box.
I even talked with Madman Tony which if you don't know who he is, then you should know it's this guy Posted ImagePosted Image
Watch this video if you haven't
http://www.youtube.c...1&v=DAoZjPzZLzo

They're good people, the kind of people that treat games as something fun and enjoyable rather than chances to make big wads of cash. All while having a slightly dark sense of humour, not too many people would take making merchandise of granny limbs so seriously. :)

Also, thank God for today's graphics engines being able to make car-mounted weapons like this.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 05 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

User is offline   Micki! 

Stainless hit beyond $600.000 now..!
Still less that one hour left..!

Ugh, makes me wish I had any resources lately. Then again, I think the odds of ANY gamer in the States having money to burn these days is pretty slim. :)

View Postwayskobfssae, on 07 June 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Ugh, makes me wish I had any resources lately. Then again, I think the odds of ANY gamer in the States having money to burn these days is pretty slim. :)

The majority of the money raised in every kickstarter comes from the US.

User is offline   Micki! 

Paypal support is up now, with some of their earlier rewards available, check it out..!
http://www.carmagedd...aypal-donations

Apologies for the Necromancy, but the mobile port of Carmageddon 1 is being released this coming week on iOS devices. It's more than just a port, really, it's been quite improved; with better framerates, more balanced gameplay, better lighting, more detailed car models and other things besides this game is a real winner. It's free for 24 hours after release, then after that it's $1.99, and all proceeds go to funding development for Reincarnation. Also, as iOS can be a bit of a dirty word amongst the more 'hardcore' gaming circles, there WILL be an Android version by at latest early next year.

Anyone else getting it, then?

This post has been edited by Engel220: 14 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

<- Android

If anybody still cares 2 years later, the official forum users of carmageddon reincarnation are experiencing a form of hype and excitement, almost comparable to the one that used to exist around Duke Nukem Forever's forums.
On 13 March, early backers of this project are finally getting their hands on a prealpha version of this new carmageddon game.
This the topic where the DNFish excitement is going on.
http://www.carmagedd...rum/topic/26352

For those that haven't followed this project, Carmageddon Reincarnation aims to bring the best of Carmageddon 1 and a bit of Carma 2 into a new Carmageddon game done from the ground up by the people that made the first 2 games (not the third Tdr2000 one)
The guys behind Carmageddon Reincarnation really seem to care about making it much more than 3drealms has proven to care about making DNF a great game for the old fans.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 12 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Latest(still very early WIP) videos:

User is offline   Kathy 

Just pre-alpha? "Estimated delivery: Feb 2013".

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostKathy, on 13 March 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

Just pre-alpha? "Estimated delivery: Feb 2013".

It's been delayed to Q1 2014.

User is offline   Kathy 

But not when they kickstarted it. Besides, Q1 is ending soon and it's only a pre-alpha.

• "Dick Nasty"

I predict that either it will be delayed (far)beyond Q1 '14, or what they're showing/releasing isn't current.

Here are some user vids of the brand-new pre-alpha:

• "Dick Nasty"

A couple more:

Looks early and rough, but I do see potential.

Also, I don't think that it has been brought to attention yet that awhile ago the game had been cleared for release on "next" gen hardware, due to a surplus in donations.

The game releases as an Early Access title on Steam on the 27th, and although it'll be in more or less the same sort of state on its 'release' as it is in those videos at least it'll give fans a chance to not only play the game ahead of time, but to also offer constructive feedback heading up to the final released version. Backers are playing it right around now as Stainless said they'd get even earlier access, but general access for non-backers is the 27th.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 13 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

As much as I appreciate the usefulness of crowdfunding in circumventing the conservatism of the publishing establishment, this all looks like a bit of a sham:

- Carmageddon fans are pledging money solely based on the reputation of a developer that had a single hit back in 1997
- Backers are encouraged to act as testers without pay
- the game apparently hasn't even reached alpha status yet
- the test course is basic, small and so unfinished that the track consists of a placeholder checkerboard texture
- despite all this, there are massive framerate problems

Under these circumstances, the only use of this "early access" scheme I can see is to have the game's basic functionality tested (mostly driving physics), but that is exactly the part that should be left up to the seasoned devs that created the franchise; if anyone would know what Carmageddon should drive like, it'd be them.
At his point, it seems to me that Stainless might as well have given a group of fans an engine license and told them to make a new Carmageddon game themselves.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

I see X-Vector's point (and he may be right, of course) but to me Stainless Games don't look like Developers who would outsource their game for maximum profits (hello Gearbox!).

In fact to me they look like a medium-sized indie game developer that is quite unexperienced at making high budget games. From some time they have been developing XBLA games, its been 16 years since they last released carma2, and they might have been too focused on low budget games.

Furthermore, Carma R began development on 2012, but not everybody knows that work on the engine was reseted last year when they received $3m from Bullfrog Games ex-cofounder, so that may explain the current state.

The performance is truly horrid, but if this version is pre-alpha 0.1, it shows a really, really promising Carmageddon game since TDR2000 (which was crap tbh)

Also, i'd rather have this alpha than nothing, and so far Stainless have delivered quite a lot of development info to the fans, not like other developer who treated their fans like shit during the development of a long awaited sequel of a well known game/franchise(hello 3DRealms!)

Also, Stainless games fought quite a bit for the Caarmageddon IP, i don't think they would waste such efforts by outsorcing the development.

The Pre-alpha shows a lot of love and care to the franchise, I'm afraid I can't say the same about Duke Nukem Forever

This post has been edited by Psyrgery: 14 March 2014 - 07:11 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options